Esteemed Contributor

Re: Control spending and shopping stash

I'm shopping my stash and it takes a long time to get through some of it.  I started throwing out anything that was remotely off base for me, like a color that didn't look that great (lipstick) or a shampoo that I wasn't crazy about.  I also go through my cabinets more often now and toss anything expired.  I do feel badly when I find a expensive product I didn't use and had to throw - wasted money.  It keeps me from buying something new when I know I have much to use up.  Keep it up, you're on the right track.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I'm shopping my stash and it takes a long time to get through some of it.  I started throwing out anything that was remotely off base for me, like a color that didn't look that great (lipstick) or a shampoo that I wasn't crazy about.  I also go through my cabinets more often now and toss anything expired.  I do feel badly when I find a expensive product I didn't use and had to throw - wasted money.  It keeps me from buying something new when I know I have much to use up.  Keep it up, you're on the right track.

----------------------------------------------

I came to the same conclusion this morning, if I go through my mu and skincare on a monthly basis or something fairly regular, I will stomp out the urge to buy something. I threw out some high end mu items this morning.  Either  they were too old and/or no color payoff so in the trash they went. Some were never used or barely used.  It really solidifies the urge to buy more.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even if you make a great living, and can afford anything you want, you can only use so much before it expires. We get caught up in a temporary shopping high or chasing after some elusive skincare routine that will make us feel better.

You many want to set a goal for yourself in terms of a purchase.  Maybe save for a once in a lifetime vacation to a place where you always wanted to go. Or save for that pricey handbag or pair of shoes. Something where you can get some real enjoyment from it.

I am retired and at a point in my life where I am simplifying just about every aspect of my life. Now I am more about experiencing the fun things in life rather than accumulating stuff. I started just as you did. I just stopped the shopping and used up what I have.

I like watching the beauty shows, but most of the time when I am watching I am also doing something beauty related such as masking, or manicure or my lighstim. It seems to take away any type of temptation. 

Contributor

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I did good this weekend.  I didn't watch the Laura Geller shows which sometimes tempt me.  I tossed some bad products as a tried them.  I finish a couple of small things and am close to empty on some others. 

I haven't bought anything for about a week and I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but recently I ordered or picked up something new almost every week.  Some were inexpensice and some pricey, but that doesn't matter.  I just don't need anything at all.

I know some things don't work as well as others, but if I combine different products like two foundations or something, I get very similar looks to stuff I've recently bought. 

I'm shopping the stash of old stuff as much as I can to use some of it up,  I'm holding off on using newer products for now.  And I have brand new items not even opened like Victoria's Secret Sprays, or Philosophy bath stuff I may give as gifts.

I think this forum is helping me verbally commit to this.  Thanks for listening.

New Contributor

I'm glad I found this blog. I'm in the same position, too much skin care, and cosmetics. I vow to not purchase anymore, but  can't stop. About two years ago I went through my stash and gave away tons of stuff. I didn't realize how much I had. How much mascara, makeup, philosophy can one use. I still have a bath set with cologne I purchase about two years ago, purity, and just purchased microbrasion skin products from philosophy. I finally found skin products that help me with my problematic skin, TATCHA. It's very expensive for me, but I'm sacrificing, because it works. I guess I'll try again, go through my stash, and use what I have. I'm thankful for this blogging. 

Regular Contributor

I follow a newsletter/website called http://www.becomingminimalist.com/ and found out about "Capsule Wardrobes" which consist of only 36 items (or so. Don't feel you need to meet a number.)  Now I get to tell all my friends I'm wearing my black pants again because "I have a capsule wardrobe" and suddenly I became uber chic and trendy and totally on top of fashion! Smiley Happy Google it, its fun!

And of course you could do a 'capsule make up/skin care' wardrobe too! Again, don't focus on the number of pieces, but realize how chic, hip, on-trend, environmentally-friendly and awesome you're becoming! For me, I picked a cosmetic organizer the size of a shoebox, and I only use/buy what I can keep in that particular organizer (which holds quite a bit more than one really needs.)  When I buy something new, I plan on tossing something out. I prefer to use stuff up first and really see some 'space' in there.

There is always something new around the corner, so I buy the tiniest size or amount of something (usually! My core items are normal sized with 1 spare.)  Ok ok, when wen had the fall special I stocked up, because it was really awesome AND a core item, but seriously that's all I've stocked up on lately.

My favorite two words: "Capsule Wardrobe." It really works. "This is my baking capsule wardrobe.... ths is my fashion capsule wardrobe.... this is my shoe capsule wardrobe.... " Love!

Super Contributor

I follow the same blog and it's great! I have done serveral purges on closet. I'm planning to the "final" purge over the long weekend. I still probably have more that what I "should" but I'm happy with what I've gotten it down to and I'm wearing everything with the exception of some suits but I still need to hold on to them for now.

I have purges a lot of beauty items. Of course I still have too much for one person. I have been better with rotating what I use and in that I have discovered what I really like/what I'm reaching for more. So maybe by the end of the year, I can do a BIG purge. Keyword being maybe. I did good in March going on a no buy.  But once I got off, I kindd went nuts lol. So again I'm falling back and paying attention to what I really like and revisiting some past favorties in terms of skin care/body care.. I plan to clean up my emails and unfollow certain brands and blogs. YouTube doesn't get me like it used to. I used to watch a haul or favorties video then turn around and go to the store or order an item online. Also when it comes to color cosmetics like eyshadows, lip colors etc after while it all starts to look them same.It's a process and for some they can go at it and get rid of of whatever easily. For others it may take some time and that's ok. Ok enough rambling lol!

Respected Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

I know there are some related threads out here, but with this new forum few it's really hard to find them.  I don't normally start threads, but I need some support with my commitment to hold off on buying more makeup/skincare for a while.  I have an addiction to shopping for this products and it's out of control.  I have enough to last me a very long time.  I'm not sure if I could even use up all I have.  I am always looking for the next best thing.  But most things aren't that different.  I really want to try and hold off on any of these types of purchases for a number of weeks/months.  My goal is maybe till 9/1/15.  I think it will be very hard, but I want to try.  The amount of money I spend on this is ridiculous.  And I can't possibly use anything up.  So I want to not buy and start shopping my stash to use it up.  I need help  and pep talks to get me through because like I said it is an addiction of mine.  Thanks in advance for advice and thoughts.

I could have written your post!  I am the same way and really need to stop too.  I will try to join you and see if I can make it to 9/1.  I have a few things in the mail right now so starting today!

Contributor

I will try out the capsule thing.  I'm willing to try anything.  I've been doing well.  There are a few older items that aren't working great for me but I'm trying to work them in somehow.  I am moving any store/sale emails into spam as I get them and deleting alot.  I do seem to gravitate towards a few items and of course they are a little pricier things.  But there are some drugstore things that are working well too.  I have a couple of more empties and added them to my list.  I don't buy a ton of clothes, for me purses and cosmetics/skincare are my vice.  So I will try a capsule cosmetics/skincare plan and see how it goes.

Valued Contributor

I used to think I was the only person with this problem.  I've loved cosmetics, skin care, and perfume products since I was in the 7th grade!  I sold 2 lines of cosmetics while in college, and when I got out, I bought like crazy.  So many sales!  I've been working on downsizing my stock for a couple of years now, but all it takes is a kit or two to end up with excess again.  It's not so bad if you end up with clothing you need to get rid of, because you can always give it away for someone else to enjoy, but with cosmetics, they have to be thrown away.  What a waste.

When I want to watch one of my favorite cosmetic shows, I just pick a new product from my stash while watching.  That way I get something "new".Smiley Happy