Contributor

Re: Control spending and shopping stash

So far so good.  I keep experimenting with stash items and have hit pan on a few things.  My goal is to finish those off soon. 

One thing I have noticed is some of the products I have been using aren't as long wearing as I like.  But in the spirit of using stuff up, I think reapplying a couple of times throughout the day isn't so bad.  

So I will keep chipping away at things day by day. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:
I am in the same boat with skincare and mu. Lately what has been helping me is focusing on the fact I want to simplify my routine and if I keep adding to it, I will never get there. I also want to get to a place where if I buy something new or different, I can start to use and enjoy it instead of throwing it in a pile never to be seen again.

Shop your stash. Even if you run out of something you really like, dont replace it right away if you can hold off. Find something else you have that does the same thing or close to it. It really helps in using your things up.

I am also not one to suffer through products. While I have thrown away entirely too much, I am now attempting to use what I have but I will not use something if I dont like it. I will relegate it for a diff purpose if possible, if not, I pass it on or toss.

Stop the inflow of things and you will start to see some progress. Temptation is your enemy.

I posted almost the exact same thing yesterday. When you binge on certain products, especially makeup, you never really get a chance to enjoy each one. As soon as you've purchased it, you're on the hunt for another one.

That's why I am now shopping in my own cabinets and drawers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

SuzyQ3, I cant seem to quote on my ipad but I cant tell you how much I agree. That is exactly what I do. It is fun buying it all but then you have to use it and it requires time that I dont always give it. So, things sit and sit. I am definitely shopping my closets and drawers now too. There are only a couple things I will allow myself to buy and that is only if I find them for a great price, otherwise, they can wait. It will be interesting to see how long it will take me to get through some of this stuff.
Highlighted
Contributor

I started a list of empties to help with a sense of accomplishment.  I have a few bath/body things I finished and have got close to pan on a couple of makeup items.   I hope writing the empties down will make me feel better.

I honestly can say I may not be able to ever finish everything I have stashed away. 

I mentioned in an earlier post that some of the things I've been using this past week aren't as long wearing as I like, but reapplying throughout the day may help use up my stash.  My stash has some skin care and bath/body items that I may be able to get rid of with continued use this year.  But the largest part of my stash is makeup items.  That's where it will be hard for me to finish everything up.  I'm 46 and I think I may actually have enough makeup to last my lifetime Smiley Happy 

I plan to continue to use older items and toss empties as soon as I can.  I set a goal  to not buy anything until 10/1/15.  I'd like to push that to the new year. 

Respected Contributor

I'm making a commitment to buy nothing in July. I need a new toaster oven (I think mine is fifteen years old) and may need a vacuum cleaner. That's where my money will be going.

I don't think it will be difficult but I'm doing one day at a time.

Trusted Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

I started a list of empties to help with a sense of accomplishment.  I have a few bath/body things I finished and have got close to pan on a couple of makeup items.   I hope writing the empties down will make me feel better.

I honestly can say I may not be able to ever finish everything I have stashed away. 

I mentioned in an earlier post that some of the things I've been using this past week aren't as long wearing as I like, but reapplying throughout the day may help use up my stash.  My stash has some skin care and bath/body items that I may be able to get rid of with continued use this year.  But the largest part of my stash is makeup items.  That's where it will be hard for me to finish everything up.  I'm 46 and I think I may actually have enough makeup to last my lifetime Smiley Happy 

I plan to continue to use older items and toss empties as soon as I can.  I set a goal  to not buy anything until 10/1/15.  I'd like to push that to the new year. 

Keeping track of empties has really encouraged me.  In fact I take a picture of it and reference that when I feel like I'm not getting any where.  It may be extreme but it works for me.  It also helps me keep track of how long it takes to use up a product.  Then I think of that when I feel like caving and picking up a lipstick at the drugstore.  Sure it doesn't cost much but it will be haunting my stash for a long time.

I mentioned in the Compact thread that I also have requested of my family to get me gift cards for my bday to Sephora and other beauty stores which I will use later as a reward when I reach my stash goal.  I have a goal to have a capsule makeup collection and be using everything in it.  I've seen a blog called "Unfancy" where she reduced her products to 5.  Can you imagine that?  Only 5 products!  And you know what?  She looks beautiful.  I know I have products and steps in my regimen that I can do without.  As I start running out of some things, I'm not running out to repurchase it.  I'm trying to see if I can do without it or multipurpose another product.  I ran out of the 100% Pure eyebrow powder gel and tried using eyeshadow instead.  It works and looks pretty much the same.  No one has made the comment, "I noticed you did something different with your eyebrows.", LOL.

I also mentioned on the Compact thread how I found a tiny weeble wandering around in my eyeshadow palette that I am trying to "pan" this year.  It's 3 years old and I've been using it everyday for 7 months to try and put it to good use.  But now I've had to toss it cause it has BUGS in it.  Powder products do go bad.  I saw it with my own eyes.  So more than ever, I will not be purchasing products of stuff in my stash until I run out.  Which means I will not be buying eyeshadow for the next ten years.Smiley Frustrated

Valued Contributor

We should set up swaps! Like have an off the qvc site to organize something. Please hold     your course, do not give in, YES, shop the stash. One thought that helps me is to picture all my things at my estate sale and I never even got to enjoy or use my stuff. Boy that makes me angry enough to not buy and shop my stash! Good luck.

Frequent Contributor

I am with you,I too have a shopping problem and have way to much for one person. I will follow you on this posting. Maybe I can get things back into control.  Don't know if anyone else is like this but my credit cards are sky high and I only work part time. Smiley Sad

Frequent Contributor

If it was up to me , I would try EVERYTHING !!  My husband put me on hold... It's been TWO months now.   He said   " use up your stash, then you buy what you like  "  So I dig into my drawes, cabinits and counter tops and oh boy there is PLENTY..  The HYPE and sales technique reel us in for sure.   STAT STRONG !!!

Honored Contributor

OP, l can identify with you on this. When l went to "purge" my cosmetics stash, l found so many old, little-used products that l had to throw out b/c they were no longer good. When l added up how much money l had wasted buying the "new, next best thing," that was enough to make me stop buying more of the same.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~