Contributor

Control spending and shopping stash

I know there are some related threads out here, but with this new forum few it's really hard to find them.  I don't normally start threads, but I need some support with my commitment to hold off on buying more makeup/skincare for a while.  I have an addiction to shopping for this products and it's out of control.  I have enough to last me a very long time.  I'm not sure if I could even use up all I have.  I am always looking for the next best thing.  But most things aren't that different.  I really want to try and hold off on any of these types of purchases for a number of weeks/months.  My goal is maybe till 9/1/15.  I think it will be very hard, but I want to try.  The amount of money I spend on this is ridiculous.  And I can't possibly use anything up.  So I want to not buy and start shopping my stash to use it up.  I need help  and pep talks to get me through because like I said it is an addiction of mine.  Thanks in advance for advice and thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Control spending and shopping stash

I think you've done a good job giving yourself that needed pep talk! Once you make up your mind, then it is up to you to stick to it.

You are so right, though, about most of the skincare is so similar! (All you got to do is read labels.)

I'm at a good place right now. I know exactly what works best for me, simple dimple things. All I ever really want to try out of curiosity more than anything is an ingredient I've never used before.

The only suggestion I would make is to shop by ingredient. What are your skin concerns, research which ingredients are possible solutions and go on from there. That's how I pared down my skincare years back (actually when my skin was changing). Because when you do go through changes, you may need to add or delete accordingly.

Honored Contributor

Come visit us on the ComPact thread.  It looks like the May and June threads are gone, but maybe they will be restored.  Since the current thread was unavailable I started another one for June (6/15-6/30).  The ComPact was started precisely for the reasons you describe.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Contributor

I was JUST going to suggest the ComPact thread. There was (is) a thread called Simplify on here that may help as well.

Something else you can do when you feel the impulse to get something new is to go to a store and request samples! Department stores and stores like Sephora will give you free samples to try products and that way you will be able to try a small quantity of something new without actually purchasing anything. There are also websites such as Hip2Save which posts when you can request free samples from companies.

There are many lovely ladies here who are willing to help when you reach out. I think the important thing is when you feel that urge to purchase something, start a new thread if you can't find ne of those or just post something. Even answering questions about other products may make you feel better.

Super Contributor

I commend you for identifying you have a problem. Thats where it begins. I also love to shop but a few years ago I began to see how unnessary so much makeup handbags clothes and shoes really are.  I used to have the running over master closet and filled up bathroom space.. I am now 50 with teenage boys in highschool and its easy for shopping to take away time and space from family and what matters. It took over a year of giving tons away and selling on ebay but I am so streamlined with my make up and clothes and accessories. It feels great. I have one makeup bag and a few unopened items. My wardrobe is about 50 items for Spring and Summer and the same for Fall and Winter.  I cook more for my family, have more time for church activities and we entertain other families so much more. I even simplified furniture and wall space. Its so easy to be a slave to stuff. I did not want my children to remember me as the shopping queen. My aunt died in a accident about a month ago.. She lived a manision. I was there last week and her daughter was starting to clean out truck loads of stuff. It was years and years of stuff that had accumulated in spare bedrooms just being hauled off from this beautiful house. It was putting alot of stress on the family.  Some things are meaningful and necessary but I ask lots of questions like is this the best use of my money before a purchase. I wish you well on your journey. There are lots of  encouraging blogs and books  on simplification. Take it one day at a time and it gets easier.

Floral Pillow
Contributor

Thanks for the help.  Does anyone know of twitter feeds or facebook feeds related to shopaholics.  I know that's like counter intuitive because someone is always trying to market something, but I was thinking if I received little posts every day, it may help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations on your decision!  Before you buy anything, ask if you need it.  Maybe take a look at your stash before you go shopping?  It will remind you that you don't need anything at all.  If you see something you really want, check to see if it's already in your stash.  Shopping your stash might be just as rewarding as buying something new.  

Think about how much you've spent (and wasted) over the years, and think about what you'll do with the money you'll save by saying no to the purchase.  Save it?  Vacation?  Power bill?  Think about the space you'll free up by using what you have.

Are there things you should be tossing or donating from your stash?  That might be a good reminder not to over-buy.  

Come here any time you need a pep talk and encouragement!  You're doing the right thing.  Good luck!!!!

Super Contributor

I'm sure there is something out there for shopaholic type tweets. I would also search FaceBook or Delphiforums for groups.

I could be wrong but I think the Compact thread has become more of a chit chat thread. Sounds like you are looking for a group truly and exclusively devoted to stopping the beauty spending. You might want to take the lead on that. It could keep you motiviated, knowing you are the captain of the ship!  My apologies to the Compact thread posters, no offense needed, it's a great subgroup you have with lots of internet friendships. 

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor

sherritz, try to figure out what initiates your impulse to buy. If it's browsing through malls, find another activity. If it's watching shopping channels, watch something else that interests you.

And here's a big one: This is a shopping channel message board. You are going to be tempted constantly here by well-meaning posters talking about, reviewing, and recommending product after product.

I'm not suggesting that you should stop reading or participating here; I would suggest, though, that you realize going in that you are vulnerable. What I would do if you decide you just have to have something, save it in your cart on whatever site from which you're considering purchasing it.

Then a few days later, you'll probably not be so excited. Because really, it's often all about the initial excitement and hype more than owning the product itself.

Trite but true, but you seem to have succeeded with the first step -- recognizing that you may have a problem that you want to control. I wish you luck.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

sherritz, try to figure out what initiates your impulse to buy. If it's browsing through malls, find another activity. If it's watching shopping channels, watch something else that interests you.

And here's a big one: This is a shopping channel message board. You are going to be tempted constantly here by well-meaning posters talking about, reviewing, and recommending product after product.

I'm not suggesting that you should stop reading or participating here; I would suggest, though, that you realize going in that you are vulnerable. What I would do if you decide you just have to have something, save it in your cart on whatever site from which you're considering purchasing it.

Then a few days later, you'll probably not be so excited. Because really, it's often all about the initial excitement and hype more than owning the product itself.

Trite but true, but you seem to have succeeded with the first step -- recognizing that you may have a problem that you want to control. I wish you luck.

This cannot be overstated. Just reading the forums or watching QVC can be tempting. I think SuzyQ3 has offered really good advice here. I add a lot of things to my Wish List or my cart and never follow through on them. If I really want them, I can come back and add them back in later. If it sells out before I get a chance, well, that's the universe telling me I didn't really need it anyway.