Respected Contributor

Re: Contemplating my hair ..

I don't think I will ever stop coloring my hair...or cut it short...I will be 62 next month

Valued Contributor

I retired in at 2015 at age 62.  I always wore my hair short or in a chin length bob.  My hair grows like weeds..  I asked the gal that had cut my hair every 4 weeks, for over 30 years, when it would start slowing down in the growth process.  She laughed and told me it was a sign of good health, quit complaining and I'll see you in 4 weeks. Well she ended up getting hurt and retiring.  After that I couldn't get a haircut I was happy with so I grew it out.  In addition I quit coloring it when I was 50 and love my silver.  My hair is now.past my shoullders and I wear it in a bun every day (think Katherine Hepburn)!  I love it.  Good luck to all - I know  the angst hair can cause us!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2. I wore my hair long when I was younger in a bun or in a ponytail always up on top of my head. I had natural curly hair or perm and it looked great I always figured I’d wear a bun like you said like Catherine Hepburn as I grew olde. ... love that look. well then when I started growing roots it didn’t work out that way so l just started having shorter hair with Bob or longer just all kinds but I would never wear it up .I also wear bangs so which I  didn’t think it looked good with gray roots showing through. Now I am thinking if I grow all my gray hair out I can definitely put it back up on my head like I’ve always really wanted to do . Do you have bangs?  I could do this having my hair all one color gray. Thanks for the thought.  My grandmother had beautiful gray hair and she always Wore it up in a Bun beautiful !🐥

Honored Contributor

I was wearing my hair in an inverted bob for a short time. That definitely was a LONG style for me. I have very, very fine hair and I find that wearing it in a short pixie with highlights on top makes it looks its best. I can't fathom the idea of me, 64, ever wearing long hair....yuck. But I will never, ever let my hair go gray. Its probably salt and pepper now but I'll never know. Letting your color go gray vastly ages a woman IMO. Its a quick way to look 15-20 years older, which is something I'm not willing to do. I go every 4-6 weeks for the works, color, cut, highlight. I did my own hair (cut, color, highlight) my entire adult life. I feel I've earned having someone else do my hair professionally for a change. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@Tweetybird, no bangs. It's all one length. Funny you mention your grandmother - one of mine was silver by her late 30s and I only remember her with a bun - always! I never saw her hair down.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have difficult wavy hair and could never get a haircut that I liked.  So I got a couple basic hair cutting books and taught myself how to cut it. I just cut a frame around my face and straight in back. I add a couple of layers on the crown to keep it off my face.  It’s good, I’m happier and I like it better than any other salon cut. Also free!  A basic cut is not that hard!

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA, I'm truly chuckling over your "contemplating" comment....it's just what I needed to lighten my mood! I continually contemplate one side that is frizzy and somewhat curly, and the other side that is absolutely straight! There is no justice since my hair has gone in opposite directions, and I don't appreciate it one bit! LOL. I don't continue to contemplate the highlights because it helps correct my winter drabs, but both my long-time stylist and I continue to contemplate what to do with this strange hair that came into my life 10 years ago. Nothing to do about it but to continue contemplating....!