Esteemed Contributor

Consult Beaute Upcoming Shows on Evine (Friday August 17)

[ Edited ]

Ladies, Consult Beaute has couple of new products. They were available at last month presentation. I purchased both. I like them, Q-10 feels very nice on the skin, but I am an ingredient dumbo.

Because of that I am not sure, if to repurchase them again.

If anyone who can read and understand the ingredients, and hopefully @Porcelain would also, could you please tell me if there is no bad stuff in them, like silicone, fillers, or other kaka (specifically in Co-Enzyme Q10 serum). TIA!

Consult Beaute Xterna-Q Topical Co-Enzyme Q10 Universal Anti-Aging Serum - 314-268
https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/ShopHQ/314-268?hei=1500&wid=1500&op_sharpen=1

Ingredients

Water, Caprylyl Methicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propanediol, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Squalane, Behenyl Alcohol, Tocopherol Acetate, Ubiquinone, Pentapeptide-34 Trifluoroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-2, Caprylyl Glycol, Lysolecithin, Sclerotium Gum, Xanthan Gum, Pullulan, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Bisabolol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract

Consult Beaute Copperum 29 Rejuvenating Eye & Lash Treatment 0.5 oz - 314-164
https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/ShopHQ/314-164?DefaultImage=1&$472x472_jpg$
Ingredients

Water, Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate, Glycolic Acid, Dimethyl MEA, Glycerin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Methicone, Panthenol, Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1, Hyaluronic Acid, Silanetriol, Lysolecithin, Sclerotium Gum, Xanthan Gum, Pullulan, Silica, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Isosorbide Dicaprylate, Lactic Acid/Glycolic Acid Copolymer, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Dextran, Copper Heptapeptide-14 Pantothenate, Heptapeptide-15 Palmitate, Allantoin, Ectoin, Sphinganine, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide.

Honored Contributor

Re: Consult Beaute Upcoming Shows on Evine (Friday August 17)

@sonechko. Re: Consult Beaute. Water as the 1st ingredient bothers me. These are expensive products to have water as a main portion of the serums, etc. Polyvinyl Alcohol is a plastic substance used in masks (2nd product). 

I was hoping to see more natural ingredients and less chemicals in skincare.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Shanus! Water even as first ingredient does not bother me at all - our bodies consist of a huge percentage of water. But the “plastic substance” sure does worry me!
Honored Contributor

@sonechko. I googled it to be sure. You can read about it, as well. It may be a refined form for cosmetic use. The silicone would steer me away anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

Me too @Shanus! I want to have pure active ingredients and not something that creates an appearance of better looking skin cosmetically, while doing potential harm.
Trusted Contributor

There are some eye drops out there that contain polyvinyl alcohol (Refresh Classic).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I annotated the main ingredients for ya, @sonechko.

• Water, Caprylyl Methicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propanediol, (first 4 are carrier base ingredients)
  • Acetyl Glucosamine (moisturizing, mild exfoliant),
  • Hydrogenated Lecithin (penetration enhancer, emollient),
  • Squalane (good moisturizer),
  • Behenyl Alcohol (moisturizing alcohol, not drying),
  • Tocopherol Acetate (vitamin E),
  • Ubiquinone (big claim to fame antioxidant ingredient),
  • Pentapeptide-34 Trifluoroacetate (supposed to increase CoQ10 production - ingredient by Ashland),
  • Phenoxyethanol (preservative and clearest cut off point for 1% and above list - does not necessarily mean all ingredients before it are more than 1%, just means that everything after it probably is),

Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-2, Caprylyl Glycol, Lysolecithin, Sclerotium Gum, Xanthan Gum, Pullulan, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Bisabolol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract

With a few exceptions, every product you use has to have a base carrier of relatively inert ingredients, meant to help you apply and keep the product on your face. The carrier is also necessary to dilute the actives to make sure they are at concentrations appropriate for the face. Different actives need different concentrations and can be either dangerous or ineffective if too strong or too weak.

Because all the actives need to be mixed into a carrier, this is why the first ingredient of most products is the dilutant and hydrator: water. Or a water substitute like apple, grape, or aloe vera juice extract - all of which happen to be primarily water. Other carrier ingredients condition the skin, help stabilize the mixture, or maintain consistent texture.

Even Isomers uses some carrier ingredients.

(I've already said I'm giving serious side eye to that eye product because it has glycolic acid as the third ingredient. So I'll leave that there).

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Manuela usually uses water as her first ingredient too. On the other hand, Dimitri is famous for his anhydrous approach, no water in many of his products.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

I annotated the main ingredients for ya, @sonechko.

• Water, Caprylyl Methicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propanediol, (first 4 are carrier base ingredients)
  • Acetyl Glucosamine (moisturizing, mild exfoliant),
  • Hydrogenated Lecithin (penetration enhancer, emollient),
  • Squalane (good moisturizer),
  • Behenyl Alcohol (moisturizing alcohol, not drying),
  • Tocopherol Acetate (vitamin E),
  • Ubiquinone (big claim to fame antioxidant ingredient),
  • Pentapeptide-34 Trifluoroacetate (supposed to increase CoQ10 production - ingredient by Ashland),
  • Phenoxyethanol (preservative and clearest cut off point for 1% and above list - does not necessarily mean all ingredients before it are more than 1%, just means that everything after it probably is),

Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-2, Caprylyl Glycol, Lysolecithin, Sclerotium Gum, Xanthan Gum, Pullulan, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Bisabolol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract

With a few exceptions, every product you use has to have a base carrier of relatively inert ingredients, meant to help you apply and keep the product on your face. The carrier is also necessary to dilute the actives to make sure they are at concentrations appropriate for the face. Different actives need different concentrations and can be either dangerous or ineffective if too strong or too weak.

Because all the actives need to be mixed into a carrier, this is why the first ingredient of most products is the dilutant and hydrator: water. Or a water substitute like apple, grape, or aloe vera juice extract - all of which happen to be primarily water. Other carrier ingredients condition the skin, help stabilize the mixture, or maintain consistent texture.

Even Isomers uses some carrier ingredients.

(I've already said I'm giving serious side eye to that eye product because it has glycolic acid as the third ingredient. So I'll leave that there).

Thanks a Million @Porcelain!  Your knowledge of this stuff is simply amazing!!! I will study your reply slowly and in detail - this way I may learn and most importantly get something to remember for my future efforts to understand a product.

But meanwhile, before I discern your answer, in plain language, do you like what's this CoQ10 Serum is made of or not?

It does feel good on my face, and gives my skin some added brightness and life.

By the way, I love Isomers the best! Because they are EASY for me!  I don't question the ingredients, because Isomers got my full trust over all these years, so I don't have to worry and sweat about the ingredient deck.....

I love to read your, @Porcelain, occasional discernment of an Isomer product, and when you say, you are pleased with it and using it - this makes me happy and a product becomes even more dear to me! I always listen to what you have to say about the products and I watch closely, which ones you like.

Thank you Porcelain for sharing what you know, it does help me  a lot for sure! 

Esteemed Contributor

p.s. @Porcelain, I did not like the CB new eye product very much. Makes my eyelids puffier than they already are. I only was curious if it can REALLY grow eyelashes and mostly - eye brows. I think something may be happening in that department, but it's too soon to say. As an eye product, I don't care for it much, and only put it on brows and lashes.