Honored Contributor

Re: Consult Beaute ~ Health supplements

[ Edited ]

I've learned to listen to my body and see how it reacts to something vs listening to doctors/companies who aren't always right...especially when it comes women's health.

Black cohosh has been suggested to me numerous time by GYN's, MD's who specialize in bio-identical hormones, nurse practitioners as well as many women who use it and have found it has helped them FAR more than "traditional" drugs.

What works for one many not work for another; our history's with illness/medication/drug usage can make a huge difference not to mention genetics. Try it, see if it works and go from there. 

Honored Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

any thoughts on their supplemnts ~ seem like they would be good ~ but they are pricey ` as in same price as Andrew Lessman products ~ they have a TTV today on a multi vitamin~ also have a Beet juice supplement beveverage that has good reviews ~ but price always makes me take a step back ~

@CoastalGal  Maybe I’m one of few, but never got interested in expensive supplements. I asked my PCP about taking supplements years ago and revisit the subject with her from time to time. Her feelings are eating a balanced diet w/ plenty of fruits and veggies is much healthier than supplements. She said to concentrate on choosing all colors of foods and dark leafy vegetables. I suppose if you feel your diet lacks certain nutrients, supplements may be nessary, but are available at my CVS buy 1 get 1 free. Why purchase designer, expensive ones from a shopping channel? 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CoastalGal wrote:

any thoughts on their supplemnts ~ seem like they would be good ~ but they are pricey ` as in same price as Andrew Lessman products ~ they have a TTV today on a multi vitamin~ also have a Beet juice supplement beveverage that has good reviews ~ but price always makes me take a step back ~

@CoastalGal  Maybe I’m one of few, but never got interested in expensive supplements. I asked my PCP about taking supplements years ago and revisit the subject with her from time to time. Her feelings are eating a balanced diet w/ plenty of fruits and veggies is much healthier than supplements. She said to concentrate on choosing all colors of foods and dark leafy vegetables. I suppose if you feel your diet lacks certain nutrients, supplements may be nessary, but are available at my CVS buy 1 get 1 free. Why purchase designer, expensive ones from a shopping channel? 

I have taken all different ones ~ and never relaly fell a big difference ~ but sometimes 

i think maybe there is something i am missing ~ i willsay i bought tumeric supplement from Costco and it did work ~ i wa getting artritus in one of the finger on my right hand and the inflammation and stiffness is gone 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

To supplement or not to supplement is a personal choice. When you have a non critical ailment, do you want to try an alternative/natural ingredient to contain the symptom or choose to take a prescription is entirely upto the individual.

I have had acid reflux & 1 time borderline cholestrol issue. I tried containing it the natural way/supplementation along with good diet & excercise, never been happier. It surprised my Dr too. 20 yrs ago, for doctors to recommend yoga was unthinkable. Now they do. They do recommend taking vitamin D when you are lacking. Supplementation in moderation & need basis is essential. Going crazy over it is not.   

Honored Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@CoastalGal wrote:

I have taken all different ones ~ and never relaly fell a big difference ~ but sometimes 

i think maybe there is something i am missing ~ i willsay i bought tumeric supplement from Costco and it did work ~ i wa getting artritus in one of the finger on my right hand and the inflammation and stiffness is gone 

@CoastalGal. I was getting arthritis in 2 fingers, right hand, and PCP suggested Accupuncture...6 sessions...gone and fingers never got crooked, knuckles straight....no pain. Every one is different w/ different needs and ways to approach health issues.

Honored Contributor

I know someone who was taking Black Cohosh for menopausal symptoms.

I went to WebMD and researched it and I decided to take a big pass on it.  I will personally stay far, far away from black cohosh. 

Honored Contributor

@sfrangu  I've been taking ashwaghanda since June and I am still alive.  Everything has side effects including aspirin which I personally don't tolerate well.  To each their own. 

I had no idea these products were so highly rated.  I watch them every so often but have never tried anything from the line.  You guys have peaked my interest...  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can’t compare these herbal extracts that were not studied empirically, nor approved by the medical community with Aspirin, Acetaminophen and the likes. How would anyone know what dose is safe? By feeling well until you don’t anymore? Scary.

Honored Contributor

The problem with some of the supplements, like the 2 mentioned here, is that they haven't been studied enough to know about long term usage.  Both say that they may possibly be safe for short term use.  Black Cohosh specifically says it may be safe for use up to 1 year. 

I didn't think the side effects listed with ashwaghandha really aren't that bad but again, it says for short term use.

Black Cohosh specifically ahd warnings about possible liver damage. 

I wonder if QVC will ever sell consult beaute products.