Valued Contributor

The more I read , the more confused I become...I would like a simple, easy, affordable skin care system for my 51 year old skin...seems like too much to ask!  I can't afford to try every line out there...

Any suggestions?  Thanks!   

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Confusion re: skin care!?!

Check out Paula's Choice. She has just started to sell some products on QVC but has her own web site. I started out with her line with a cleanser and daytime moisturizer w/SPF and have expanded from there. Lots of information, even if you don't want to purchase. And you can alway contact her excellent customer service either via phone or E-mail for recommendations. There are lots of sales & free shipping. Good luck in your search.

Valued Contributor

Another vote for Paula's Choice.  Like the previous poster listed, you can almost always find her products on sale and/or search the internet for coupon codes for her website or others. Some other online sites sell her products, as well, and they frequently have sales and free shipping, too.  Try DermStore, BirchBox, SkinStore, etc.  Sign up for their emails/newlsetters, and they'll notify you about their sales.  I have super sensitive skin.  I've been using products from this line for many years and really like them.  Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You do not need to spend a fortune or have a dozen products to take care of your skin.  You only need 3 things -- the right cleanser, the right moisturizer, and the right exfolitator.   Remember, what others use may not be right for you.  

First, find the right cleanser.  I tried a dozen before I settled on one.  I hated spending that money but now that I know what is best for me, it's great.   I actually ended up selecting L'Occitane milk bar soap.  I use it for face and body and love it.

Find the right moisturizer for your skin and age.  You may have to try a few samples before buying a big one.   Some OTC products are as good as at the fancy counters.  But the key is to find one for your skin.   My dermatologist once told me I should use oil-free moisturizers which would help avoid the touch of rosacea I have on my cheeks.  And it made all the difference in the world for me.  I tried a couple and settled on one.

You need an exfoliator.  It doesn't have to be a harsh or strong one.  But find one that works for you and use it.  I exfoliate my face and legs with it every 7-10 days.  

I'm 62 and most people guess me to be 50.  

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

You do not need to spend a fortune or have a dozen products to take care of your skin.  You only need 3 things -- the right cleanser, the right moisturizer, and the right exfolitator.   Remember, what others use may not be right for you.  

First, find the right cleanser.  I tried a dozen before I settled on one.  I hated spending that money but now that I know what is best for me, it's great.   I actually ended up selecting L'Occitane milk bar soap.  I use it for face and body and love it.

Find the right moisturizer for your skin and age.  You may have to try a few samples before buying a big one.   Some OTC products are as good as at the fancy counters.  But the key is to find one for your skin.   My dermatologist once told me I should use oil-free moisturizers which would help avoid the touch of rosacea I have on my cheeks.  And it made all the difference in the world for me.  I tried a couple and settled on one.

You need an exfoliator.  It doesn't have to be a harsh or strong one.  But find one that works for you and use it.  I exfoliate my face and legs with it every 7-10 days.  

I'm 62 and most people guess me to be 50.  

I agree but, I would add sunscreen.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What gets me is every one of these brands keep making another new product that does something else.It tends to get very confusing and very expensive.

Paulas Choice can be bought on Amazon too and there are a lot of reviews there to read.

Right now I am only using JM argan oil and finding that is all I need. I am 78 and getting more confused over skin care by the minute.

Valued Contributor

Rearly appreciate your replies, thank you!  I think I got carried away buying piecemeal products, then I got carried away buying too much from one line.  Something caused my skin to break out, which has never happened...so I'm using nothing and trying to figure out what will work best for me!  I imagine  I'm not the only person that is confused by so many skin care claims!  Keep the suggestions  coming!  Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@barb40 wrote:

Rearly appreciate your replies, thank you!  I think I got carried away buying piecemeal products, then I got carried away buying too much from one line.  Something caused my skin to break out, which has never happened...so I'm using nothing and trying to figure out what will work best for me!  I imagine  I'm not the only person that is confused by so many skin care claims!  Keep the suggestions  coming!  Thank you!

I started to break out too at 78 and I never had breakouts in my life,even as a teen......lol.........so I am using Stridex pads everynite and that cleaned it all up nicely. I was going to buy Paulas Choice wash  they were selling  other day,but I saw it was salicidic acid and thats exactly  what the Stridex pads are so I'll just keep using  my pads ,they are so much cheaper............lol  after the pads I use JM products

adding on to my post........I didn't realise Stridex had so many  "other" things in it,I did not read the list. It cleared up my breakouts very well.I think JM Argan Milk causes them.I have used it for over a year  and it was great,now not so much.I gave it to my daughter..lol..

I am about to begin  using Paulas Choice ,the Resist line....lol  I hope it works good..........lol

Trusted Contributor

May I suggest that you read Paula Begoun's new book, The Best Skin of Your Life Starts Here before you purchase any more skin care products.  You can find the book at various retailers for $16.95 and it's in her Paula's Picks 4 piece Starter Kit w/ Book on QVC, A277745, for $45.28.

I found the book to be very helpful, easy to read and she provides product recommendations at the end of the chapters (not all of them are Paula's Choice products, either, lol).

She provides an explanation of a basic skin care routine and the types of products you should use for your skin type.  This saves a lot of time, money and confusion on what products to use for your particular skin issues.

It's absolutely possible to devise your own skin care routine that is easy and affordable using her recommendations and products from the drugstore/Ulta/Walmart/Target. 

You will, however, have to make the effort to educate yourself about ingredients and become an ingredient list reader on the products you purchase.  That way you can determine for yourself whether the product is formulated with good ingredients or a bunch of stuff that your skin type doesn't need.

Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice!!  I've been using her products since 1995.  Fragance-free, color-free, no jar packaging, no animal testisng, return policy 60 days!  I love her Resist BHA and all the Retinol serums and moisurizers with SPF. I believe she is offering free shipping and 15% off right now.