Honored Contributor

Re: Confusion over primers, moisturizers and foundations

@tsavorite 

If I could just GET to the point where I find MY products, I'd stick with them, too!  As it is, I can't seem to find things that I am satisfied with.  I know that with my age - 70 - and the rosacea --- I can only achieve so much and I have accepted that.  However, I know there have to be products that give me a look that I can be somewhat happy with.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Whenever I've tried using a primer, I have found that it didn't make a difference to my overall look, in the end. I've tried using the type of primer that fills in your pores so that they're less obvious under foundation but they've never worked for me. Although I have dry skin, I find that most of the sunscreens I use are moisturizing enough so I don't need a separate moisturizer. I wash my face, use my serum(s) apply my sunscreen (this step is non-negotiable for me) then wait a few minutes and apply my foundation.  

Honored Contributor

After reading all the messages in this thread, it seems to me like a lot of the problems should be alleviated with adequate hydration. Maybe more. I know I use more hydrating products than the average person and I put it above moisturizer in importance.  After moisturizer,Tatcha's Water Cream, is my primer, Hourglass.  I don't have any problem with foundation looking bad or wearing poorly.  My face is plump and primed and ready for a foundation. I have also noticed a swing in YouTube skin care videos. Skin care gurus are finally starting to talk more about hydration than they used to.  And there's always the products themselves. I don't know what everyone uses but if you're not seeing the results you expect with drugstore products, that might be the problem...might not be.  I have never tried CeraVe nor will I. It seems too many people don't like it. I've always felt that dermatologists that don't practice in the 90210 area code suggest it because it's affordable and readily available.  Kiehl's

Makes a super hydrating and moisturizing toner / milky essence.  I just bought my third bottle last night.  I start out each morning routine and evening routine with two milky toner / essences.  I hope everyone can find the magic combination that works for them.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  JMO but moisturizer is a non-negotiable in a skin care regimen (unless your face is an oil slick). Primers are not. Sometimes I wear them under my foundation and sometimes I don't. You said you like a simple routine. Have you ever tried the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue tinted moisturizer? That's what I use on days when I'm not going anywhere special but it might be enough for you every day. There are various similar products that might suit your needs.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

Please share with us your morning skincare routine, what you use & in what order...if you feel like it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse 

I guess I am looking for a "magic primer".  This probably does not exist!  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

What you say makes a lot of sense!  I always moisturize.  When I try to do more regarding that, it ends up in zit type things and clogged pores.  I tried discussing this with 2 derms., and they said, you're moisturizing too much, so back off.  And it's also because of the rosacea.  So, I feel I might be kind of stuck as to how much I can moisturize???  

Honored Contributor

@LuvSoCal 

No, I haven't.  I will look into it.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

I don't use as many products in the morning (aka early afternoon) as I do before bed.  

Two essences (Dr.Ceuracle) and Kiehl's

Glow Recipe Plum Plump HA serum

Glow Recipe PHA BHA 

COSRX Snail Snot (aka Snail 96 Mucin)

Glow Recipe Pink Juice Moisturizer

Tatcha The Water Cream

If I'm putting on makeup I don't use all of that.  Too much  moisture/hydration and glow.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Maybe your moisturizer is too heavy for your skin?  Maybe try focusing on hydrating products?  I've never had rosacea (my mother does) and I'm way past the breakout stage unless I trash my skin with a new product.  If I do that, I turn to Aveeno Triple Oat Serum and Triple Oat Moisturizer to sooth my angry skin.  Works GREAT.