Honored Contributor

Confusion over primers, moisturizers and foundations

I like as simple as possible and I also don't like to put a lot of things on my face.  I figure the least amount of products I apply, the better chance of not having an issue with reactions or breakouts, etc.!

I have a few questions and hoping you all can clarify them for me.

I have various different primers but have very little experience using them.  

If you are going to use a primer, should you not use a moisturizer?  Or should you use the moisturizer also?  

If you use both --- the moisturize goes first and then the primer?

Another question --- can you mix your primer together with your moisturizer?

Can you mix your primer with your foundation?

I know I have read that some here mix their moisturizer at times with their foundation.  I have never tried that.  

Just hoping you will give me your thoughts on all of this.

I absolutely have to have coverage as my skin is not great.  Roscea and all that.... 

Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Confusion over primers, moisturizers and foundations

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I like as simple as possible and I also don't like to put a lot of things on my face.  I figure the least amount of products I apply, the better chance of not having an issue with reactions or breakouts, etc.!

I have a few questions and hoping you all can clarify them for me.

I have various different primers but have very little experience using them.  

If you are going to use a primer, should you not use a moisturizer?  Or should you use the moisturizer also?  

If you use both --- the moisturize goes first and then the primer?

Another question --- can you mix your primer together with your moisturizer?

Can you mix your primer with your foundation?

I know I have read that some here mix their moisturizer at times with their foundation.  I have never tried that.  

Just hoping you will give me your thoughts on all of this.

I absolutely have to have coverage as my skin is not great.  Roscea and all that.... 

Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1   Good morning. I'll see if I can answer a few questions.

Primers: They are mostly needed to keep your makeup on longer or blur your imperfections or there are some that keep oil from breaking through the makeup. I don't use a primer since I don't need to keep my makeup on more than usually  6 hrs.and then I'm home and cleanse. It goes on last before foundation and after your sunscreen. Primers are the last step before your makeup.

Mixing primers with your moisturizer or foundation defeats the purpose since it's meant to be a barrier between skincare and foundation. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Respected Contributor

I too use as little as possible.  I have combo skin with oily tzone.  I have used Bare Minerals powder foundation for years mostly around my tzone to hide a few veins. I recently tried RMS facial oil and use it very sparingly around my eyes and cheeks. That's it. The oil is light and soaks in and can be used all around my eyes and it does NOT make them smart or sting. I use it at night as well.  For me less is more!

Honored Contributor

A primer goes on last and under foundation.

Apply moisturizer under primer, do not mix them.

Apply foundation last and it can be mixed with a primer but keep in mind that mixing primer with foundation will thin it out so it will have a different consistency as well as less coverage which might be okay if that's what you're looking to do.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 This is my opinion & a lot of people disagree.

Primer is not a magic step. To me, if you get your skincare right you don't need a primer.

If there is a missing element in your skincare you may fix that with a primer & think it was the "magic" that was needed.

I am not saying that you shouldn't use a primer if one works for you. I use what works.

Skincare & primers promise a lot of things & you know that your skincare doesn't always live up to it's promises. The same thing with primers.

Decide what you need from skincare. Choose a product that addresses that need.

If it works, that is great. If it doesn't, set it aside & try the next product that you already have.

You can layer products. You can try mixing products. You can do whatever makes sense to you for your skin. 

It takes wome work. It takes some trial & error. I have very difficult skin. It is 65 years old, still combo/oily, gets dehydrated easily & breaks out from everything.

What type of skin do you have? 

What do you want from skincare/primer/foundation?

They have to work together. If you have oily skin & use a mattifying product, but then you think you want to glow & add a dewey foundation on top of that...well it's not going to work.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I just didn't know if you used a Primer, you could or should skip your moisturizer?  I guess for one thing it would depend on the type of Primer?  I have mostly moisturizing Primers.  My skin is slightly dry and easily irritated, in addition to having the rosacea and not being able to take fragances.  I DO need coverage, but don't want to look masky.  I was thinking perhaps a Primer would make what makeup I do wear look smoother and make my complexion look a bit better. Thank you!  

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

My skin used to be like yours, but as I've aged it's slightly dry, but not overly so.  I don't know if I could use an oil, but I'm glad this works for you!  I wish there was 1 or even 2 products that you could use on your face and you would look polished and that would be it.  I can't stand a lot of stuff on my face and honestly, I hate to be bothered with a lot of steps!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Do you feel that both moisturizer and Primer are good to use before foundation?  Or can you use one or the other?  I am trying to get my complexion to appear a little smoother once my foundation is on.  I am slightly dry and do have the roscea issues so I am needing overage but can't have a ton of makeup glopped on my face because I am older and it just makes me look even worse!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 

I guess that's where I am now!  Trial and error.  I don't want to use a bunch of things which will make my existing skin problems worse.  So, I tend to error on the side of caution and use way less and then I am unsatisfied with how I look.  I don't want to look all madeup but just look better and have my complexion not look so -- well --- worn.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Do you feel that both moisturizer and Primer are good to use before foundation?  Or can you use one or the other?  I am trying to get my complexion to appear a little smoother once my foundation is on.  I am slightly dry and do have the roscea issues so I am needing overage but can't have a ton of makeup glopped on my face because I am older and it just makes me look even worse!  Thanks!  

@AngelPuppy1 

Maybe try a hydrating primer if you don't want to apply moisturizer. Otherwise you can apply moisturizer under your primer. Just don't mix them together and apply. Primers in general give you smoother looking skin and they also prepare the skin's surface to make your foundation adhere and stay put for longer periods of time.

You can also try a color-correcting green primer to reduce redness.