Esteemed Contributor

Re: Confusion over primers, moisturizers and foundations

@monicakm wrote:

Primer is the last thing that goes on before your makeup.  Whether or not you need a moisturizer and or hydrating products is up to your needs. And there are different primers for different skin types/concerns.

The Hourglass primer I use I use after my essence and hydrators and moisturizer.  My primer is not for enlarged pores or for oiliness or for dryness. It is just to smooth the canvas (my face) for a more perfected foundation application.  I could not imagine wearing foundation without it. Just got my third bottle in the mail yesterday and got it for $20 less on eBay.  Decades ago I learned about using Monistat chafing gel as a primer. I learned about it on this forum. It's just like the original smashbox primer only much much less spendy. When my complexion turned desert dry I couldn't use it any longer.  If you don't have a dry complexion you might give it a try.

@monicakm    I also learned about the Monistat Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel on this forum.   I think it is just as good as the high end primers at a fraction of the cost.   And frankly,  I don't notice any difference between it and the Monistate Gel.  

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector 

Do you have dry skin?  That's the reason I had to stop using it years ago.  It just didn't work well any longer when my face turned dry.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Boehm Collector 

Do you have dry skin?  That's the reason I had to stop using it years ago.  It just didn't work well any longer when my face turned dry.

@monicakm ...  No, I do not have dry skin.  I would say my skin is normal to combination.  

Trusted Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 This is my opinion & a lot of people disagree.

Primer is not a magic step. To me, if you get your skincare right you don't need a primer.

If there is a missing element in your skincare you may fix that with a primer & think it was the "magic" that was needed.

I am not saying that you shouldn't use a primer if one works for you. I use what works.

Skincare & primers promise a lot of things & you know that your skincare doesn't always live up to it's promises. The same thing with primers.

Decide what you need from skincare. Choose a product that addresses that need.

If it works, that is great. If it doesn't, set it aside & try the next product that you already have.

You can layer products. You can try mixing products. You can do whatever makes sense to you for your skin. 

It takes wome work. It takes some trial & error. I have very difficult skin. It is 65 years old, still combo/oily, gets dehydrated easily & breaks out from everything.

What type of skin do you have? 

What do you want from skincare/primer/foundation?

They have to work together. If you have oily skin & use a mattifying product, but then you think you want to glow & add a dewey foundation on top of that...well it's not going to work.

Your skin sounds like mine....58, still quite oily-probably hormones. I had the opposite of a lot of women, I was very dry as a teenager and young woman and oily in my older years.  I never had any luck with primers. I have to use a long wearing foundation, everything else slides off of me by noon, and powder is your friend when you are oily, couldn't live with out it.  

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it