Honored Contributor

Confused re: Using Face Oils

Some brands say to apply the oil first on clean skin and then if you choose add a moisturizer on top.  Others (like Josie's Argan Oil) say to put the oil last to seal other products in.         What do you do?

Respected Contributor

Re: Confused re: Using Face Oils

Personally I like oil first, then moisturizer.  

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  Thanks for your prompt response.  I was just looking at a new Korres oil on HSN and they specifically said to use it first on clean skin.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@DaysdeeMy skin seems perfectly happy if I use just oil, so that's what I do on days I'm in a hurry and don't plan to do even the little make-up I use.

Most days, though, I use my Dr. Perricone serum followed 5 minutes later by my moistrizer.  

Honored Contributor

For me it doesn't matter which goes on first. Sometimes I mix the two together and apply that to save time. Adding a little oil to your regular moisturizer seems to give it a boost of hydration power especially if you find that your moisturizer needs a little extra something.

Respected Contributor

You should try a face oil, but I don't find them moisturizing.

I only use argan oil (I did get started with JM, but I use SheaMoisture brand that I get at Ulta when they have BOGO 50% off). I use it as makeup remover & if my skin is irritated, it is very soothing.

I've tried other oils, but they just don't seem to moisturize. Mostly other oils broke me out, so I stick with argan.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee  I personally do not like piling on different products.  I use either an oil or moisturizer at bedtime but not both.  Oils always go last because they are heavier.  Serum is first, moisturizer second, oil last.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

There are certain oils that absorbs and assists in the absorption of other things...olive, avacado (I think avacado), etc., so I might use those first. It would depend on which oil you are using.

I'm not sure where argan falls in this scale. Argan by itself doesn't seem to penetrate at all for me, so, in argan's case, I would use that last. Or, like @SilleeMee , I mix a drop of (in my case) rose hip seed oil w/ my moisturizer.

Super Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

You should try a face oil, but I don't find them moisturizing.

I only use argan oil (I did get started with JM, but I use SheaMoisture brand that I get at Ulta when they have BOGO 50% off). I use it as makeup remover & if my skin is irritated, it is very soothing.

I've tried other oils, but they just don't seem to moisturize. Mostly other oils broke me out, so I stick with argan.

Dusty1,  when you mentioned SheaMoisture brand my eyes lit up!  I have JM Argan Oil and like it but when I run out I am surely going to buy SheaMoisture Argan Oil.  I use their Peace Rose Soaps and the 100% Coconut Soaps (bar and liquid).  The best I have ever used and lasts a long time.  Thanks for the reminder with your post.

Super Contributor

Hi @Daysdee .  I have seen advice given online to use the oil first then moisturizer and advice saying the complete opposite.

I always use my serum first, then moisturizer and lastly, facial oil. I have very dry, sensitive skin that is also eczema prone so I really have to layer on my skin care that way. I've done it this way for years and it works for me.

One of the pieces of advice I read recently said that moisturizers are really mis-named since they are really hydrators while facial oils are really moisturizers as they seal in the the hydrating benefits of whatever face cream you are using. Also, in the same piece, they stated that your face cream wouldn't work as well if you place the oil on your skin first as it would act as a barrier to the cream.

Of course, it's okay to experiment since what works so well for me may not work as well for you.