Respected Contributor

Lately, I've seen demos whereby the person applying makeup uses concealer on the lid as opposed to eye primer.  Your thoughts/experience doing so?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Concealer vs Eye Primer?

I've seen Dominique Sachse do this sometimes on her utube videos.  She'll do a short video on drugstore makeup or makeup on a budget and uses the concealer as an eyeshadow primer.  She says it works well.  I think a light application is key.

I so seldom wear makeup anymore, I keep meaning to but its so much easier to just avoid it esp. when I can't see that well anymore and have to look at myself in a magnifying mirror for application. 

Let's see what the others say.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Super Contributor

Probably depends on the concealer brand.  I have used both Tarte shape tape and the It bye bye concealer recently.    The It concealer iseems to have moisturizer so I don't think that would hold eye make-up well, as it probably would break down.  I also have Estee Lauder eye Primer and it's matte and totally different then a concealer.  Generally speaking, my very humble opinion is no, they are not interchangable for me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After applying under eye concealer, what's left on my finger gets applied to my eyelid as primer.  Works great for me.

Honored Contributor

Ususally correctors and concealers have a creamy texture to not crease under the eye. Eye lid primers are drier and meant to matte the oils on the lid so the shadow won’t crease. 

That said, I have used concealer as a lid primer, but have used a setting powder over it. It doesn’t work if the lids have too much texture. There are too many layers by the time you add shadow. It’s also impossible to get a smooth finish w/ a cream shadow over setting powder. 

Honored Contributor

Tinted eyelid primers work best for me. Those give just enough coverage to give my lids an even color and it's formulated to prevent creasing. I'd rather not apply an under eye concealer on my lids because I find it is a bit heavier and it tends to crease. 

Respected Contributor

I prefer primer (but make sure it is for eyes, as others seem to irritate me) as it is made to keep my shadow on and my liner and mascara where it belongs.  If I do not use primer, I find my makeup either disappears or travels down my face throughout the day.  JMO

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always used my concealer on my eyelids.  I have tried a couple of eye primers in the past and never liked them.  

I apply my concealer under my eyes with a brush and while I'm blending, I take the brush over my eyelids.  No need for another product.  I am constantly switching concealers and have done this with them all and I've never had a problem.  I apply lightly though.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

After applying under eye concealer, what's left on my finger gets applied to my eyelid as primer.  Works great for me.

@San Antonio Gal 

I never thought of that!  What concealer do you use as a primer & do you find your eye make-up lasts all day?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 2 fave things are Tarte shape tape and BE bisque for my eye area--use tarte in that hollow at the bridge of my nose where it is purple---so good covering that and also sometimes I use bisque there too as well as across my lid. The shape tape needs to be applied with a damp sponge to work and it does a great job for me.