Honored Contributor

Re: Complexion is flaking --- not a good look!

@ThinkingOutLoud 

I could be but what do you do for that?  I believe I drink a decent amount of water but other than that???? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@icezeus 

I think I replied but in the wrong place.  Any how, he would say --- use your Cerave cleanser and lotion and it will be o.k.  Period.  He does not ever want me to use anything else.  I have gone to him several times and due to my crazy skin and rosacea and other issues I have, this is what he feels is safe to me.  I went to another one and they pretty much told me the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

I have gotten so many kind and informative replies and I am so grateful to you all!  I am seriously thinking about the squalane oil, the argan oil ---although I am nervous about either one --- oils on my face????  Yikes!  Also thinking about the Paula's Choice Unscrub product.  And the Glycolic Acid Alpha Care lotion.  Anyone care to state which one of these things they feel might be the least problematic and most gentle?  That I guess is an unfair question --- as no one can tell what will cause problems for anyone!  Thanks, everyone!!!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

My body skin is always dry so I am always moisturizing but it is not flaky.  I shower with water that is just warm, never dry.  I wash my face with warm water and then cool.  So, you think that using this Alpha Skin 10% will hel me with the flaking and not be too harsh?  I am tempted to try it, but hoping I don't get too irritated from it.  Thank yu!

@AngelPuppy1 

Usually 10% glycolic acid is tolerable by most people. It will definitely help reduce flaking and will also help prevent it from coming back, too.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank you.  Good info - I appreciate it! 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Don't be afraid of the Argan Oil. My son and I use JM unscented Body Butter on our faces. It works for us.  Psoriasis and exczema run in this this family and it's really soothing and it helps our skin. When the weather changes our skin flares up. Flaking, redness, dryness;  the body butter really helps...quickly I may add. You'll be surprised.
I prefer it over the oil when my skin is inflamed, but I also love and use the oil too. The key is to use a little and press it into the skin. I am more generous with the body butter. I have not experienced any negative reactions. 

The new product out is Josie Maran Apothecary Daily Repair Body Butter. She mad this specifically for problematic skin. I haven't tried this yet because the regular is doing well for us.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

It sounds weird  but  years ago I  used  clear packing tape to remove some dry flaky  skin from my face  as I did not want to use scrubs or polishers ,

I then went to a dermatologist  and bought some products that were $$$ . I stopped using thos dermatology products as they were to expensive.

Then I began using argon products from ShopHq  and adding  humidity to my home to counter the dry heat. I drink abt 8 glasses of water all day . So far have all's good but I never use the alpha hydroxy products . For unexpected  breakouts I use Differin gel.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

It sounds weird  but  years ago I  used  clear packing tape to remove some dry flaky  skin from my face  as I did not want to use scrubs or polishers ,

I then went to a dermatologist  and bought some products that were $$$ . I stopped using thos dermatology products as they were to expensive.

Then I began using argon products from ShopHq  and adding  humidity to my home to counter the dry heat. I drink abt 8 glasses of water all day . So far have all's good but I never use the alpha hydroxy products . For unexpected  breakouts I use Differin gel.

@skatting44 

I did that, too, with the packing tape. But then I thought about it and decided that the packing tape wasn't a very good idea afterall b/c it might leave some sort of chemical on my skin so now I use first aid white tape. I just feel better about that. Blue painters' tape won't leave any residue either so I've even used that...lol!

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@tends2dogs 

This Argan oil has a really good following!  Do you use this in place of moisturizer?  Isn't it greasy?  As I have posted to others here,  I am very fearful of oils on my face!  Thanks! 

@AngelPuppy1  Yes, I use in place of moisturizer.  I have her Hemp facial cream (the green one) that I use once in awhile and like, but her oils are my go to.  I am going to try adding in the Alpha glycolic 12% during the day.  

To answer your question about greasiness, no they aren't.  They absorb quickly.  The Reserve is the quickest to absorb.  I have her regular, light, hemp, and skin dope oils.  I like them all.  The light might be a good one to start with.  I hope you can find a remedy to this.  Her oils do a good job of laying down any flakes that you might have left after exfoliation.  Then you can apply your make up.  I have even pressed some of her oil on (light hand!) after my make is on.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Sooner 

I don't think I use anything harsh but suddenly this starts and then it usually just goes!  But in the meantime it is ugly and bothersome!  Thank you!  

@AngelPuppy1 I discovered long ago that Cetaphil cleansers don't work for me, nor do Cerave.  They either don't cleanse enough or break me out.  Fragrance?  

But Clinique cleansers for sensitive skin work great.  So just because a dermatologist likes it doesn't mean it works for you.  Harsh to me is a lot of anti-aging, scrubs and I think some fragrances.