Honored Contributor

Complexion is flaking --- not a good look!

I think it might have something to do with the weather changing for one thing because I go through this ever so often.  I noticed within the last few days that my face has all these little dry flakes all over it!  I have very sensitive skin so can't use retinoids or anything like that.  And I have Rosacea so have redness and broken caps, so skin is very reactive and I have to treat it gently.  I apply moisturizer and then try to apply my bb cream or foundation and it looks terrible as the flakes are still showing!  Yuck!!!

I don't want to try and use a heavy moisturizer as this will break me out, plus, I don't think it would help since it seems that I need to get rid of this layer of what I think must be dead skin????  I don't know????  

I tried using Clnique Seven Day Gentle Scrub and that doesn't seem to be doing much either.

Would some kind of facial mask help???  If so, what kind????  I can't use anything harsh or anything with fragrance!

I'd appreciate any suggestions!  Thank you for the help! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Complexion is flaking --- not a good look!

Maybe trying Josie Maran light argon oil twice a day used as your moisturizer. If possible I would not put anything else on my face. If the argon oil works I would the add your foundation. It is possible that something you always use is suddenly giving you problems. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When the weather starts getting cooler people tend to use warmer water when bathing and cleansing. Warm or hot water is often the cause of dry skin issues. Taking hot showers is my problem b/c I hate getting cold while bathing so I crank up the hot water and that's not good! It just dries out my skin and then I end up having to use more lotion. 

Glycolic acid moisturizers/serums are very good for dry/aging skin. The GA not only helps gently dissolve dry skin flakes on the surface but it will also help plump the skin from within and help the skin stay hydrated. A 10% GA product is usually a good one to start with, for example Alpha Skin Care's 10% lotions, creams or serums.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 You may want to skip the creams & try JM's Argan oil. It should be soothing on your skin with beneficial ingred's that help heal sensitive skin problems also. You can switch up to an oil cleanser. I am not familiar with rosacea so thats all I can reco. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 What cleanser are you using? I have found that if I change my cleanser I can fix some dry skin problems without using heavier products that will break me out.

I love Cosrx Face Wash but it can dry me out.

First Aid Beauty Face Wash is very gentle. Even cleansers that claim to be gentle or for dry skin can still make my skin dry out.

A gentle scrub might help.

Argan oil is very soothing to my skin, I would use that after a gentle scrub.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I see that @Kabella also recommended argan oil. I do love JM Argan OIl & that is what got me started with argan.

I buy Ulta brand or Shea Moisture brand argan oil, now though. I use argan oil as a makeup remover before my face cleanser, so I go through a bit of it.

If my face is irritated I use it to sooth my skin.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I think it might have something to do with the weather changing for one thing because I go through this ever so often.  I noticed within the last few days that my face has all these little dry flakes all over it!  I have very sensitive skin so can't use retinoids or anything like that.  And I have Rosacea so have redness and broken caps, so skin is very reactive and I have to treat it gently.  I apply moisturizer and then try to apply my bb cream or foundation and it looks terrible as the flakes are still showing!  Yuck!!!

I don't want to try and use a heavy moisturizer as this will break me out, plus, I don't think it would help since it seems that I need to get rid of this layer of what I think must be dead skin????  I don't know????  

I tried using Clnique Seven Day Gentle Scrub and that doesn't seem to be doing much either.

Would some kind of facial mask help???  If so, what kind????  I can't use anything harsh or anything with fragrance!

@AngelPuppy1 I could have written your post.  I have skin like yours.  I am not sure exactly what fixed the problem, but I stopped putting so many harsher things to get rid of the flakes--some skin really does react badly to acne type products and exfoliation products.

I use lighter moisturizers like some Shiseido has and some Clinique has, milder but efficient cleansers (Cliniques have been good) and drinking a lot more water.  

It has taken awhile but my skin is very good now.  I do use the Tatcha rice exfoliator about once every week to 10 days--used LIGHTLY--and it helps.  It is for sensitive skin.  And is expensive, but 2 for 1 now here.  

But in general fewer products, less harsh, and more moisture but not heavy creams has worked well for me.  And water!  Get yourself a good water bottle (I love the Takeya ones with the straw top) and use it!

Good luck!!!! Hope any of this helps.  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Here is another vote for Josie's argan oil.  I have using Retin A for close to a year now and still get flaking.  If I am just around the house, it doesn't bother me, but when going out and putting on make up, it is a problem.  I put her oil on and it takes care of it so that I can precede with my make up.  Since using RA, I have found I don't need as much foundation.  I use Maybelline age rewind hightlighter and neutralizer under my eyes, Bare Escentuals for any extra coverage and then a light dusting of IT airbrushed foundation.  This works for me.  Oh, I have tried other less expensive brands of argan and they don't penetrate my skin like Josie's.  A bottle lasts a long time.  I hope you can resolve this.  Heart

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

When the weather starts getting cooler people tend to use warmer water when bathing and cleansing. Warm or hot water is often the cause of dry skin issues. Taking hot showers is my problem b/c I hate getting cold while bathing so I crank up the hot water and that's not good! It just dries out my skin and then I end up having to use more lotion. 

Glycolic acid moisturizers/serums are very good for dry/aging skin. The GA not only helps gently dissolve dry skin flakes on the surface but it will also help plump the skin from within and help the skin stay hydrated. A 10% GA product is usually a good one to start with, for example Alpha Skin Care's 10% lotions, creams or serums.

@SilleeMee   I agree about using too hot water...I'm a victim of that, too, but have been trying to not do it as often.

Retin A does it's work by flaking, exfoliating. I always recommend the gentleness of a soft wash cloth to remove any loose flakes. If the poster is still flaking after a year, maybe a less % is in order or alternating nights. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee I mentioned in my post to the OP that I am still getting flaking because of using RA.  If I added the glycolic to my regimen, would that take care of it?  Would I have to use it daily?  I have the 10% serum and the body lotion from Alpha Skin.  I don't know why I stopped using them, but have recently stepped up the body lotion to daily use.  I then apply Josie's body butter over that.  Could I use the body stuff on my face?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!