Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I was just mad enough tonight to get in my bathtub if it killed me...and it almost did.  I had JUST gotten to the point where I could get in and out of the tub (with a bit of effort.) when my other knee went out.  How do you relax in a shower???  I finally got in but was backwards LOL  I could not turn around.  Relaxed with my music, low lights, candle and strip lighting that mimics a fireplace or flames.  How did I get out?  I finally put my towel in the water, bunched it up so it would be nice an cushy and screamed all the way up and out Smiley Surprised  Won't be stupid enough to try that again till about 2 months after PT for my 2nd knee surgery.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I was just mad enough tonight to get in my bathtub if it killed me...and it almost did.  I had JUST gotten to the point where I could get in and out of the tub (with a bit of effort.) when my other knee went out.  How do you relax in a shower???  I finally got in but was backwards LOL  I could not turn around.  Relaxed with my music, low lights, candle and strip lighting that mimics a fireplace or flames.  How did I get out?  I finally put my towel in the water, bunched it up so it would be nice an cushy and screamed all the way up and out Smiley Surprised  Won't be stupid enough to try that again till about 2 months after PT for my 2nd knee surgery.

Honored Contributor

Thank you and yes you can!  You just made me think of something.  All the women in my family bathe vs shower.  Starting with my grandmother, mother, myself, my daughter and granddaughter.  Mom's assisted living place only has showers.  She hates it and I understand.  I'm going to bring her to my house tomorrow and let her luxuriate in my soaking tub.  I'll set the scene like I had it for myself tonight Smiley Happy  When she gets out and dressed we can lay in my bed, turn the light down low on the color raspberry, get the dog up on the bed and have some cold brew with pumpkin spice coffee creamer and some of her favorite cookies.  Sounds wonderful Smiley Happy

Pepperidge Farm Pirouette Cookies, French Vanilla Crème Filled Wafers, 13.5 Oz Tin

Honored Contributor

@pieman 

Heating pads soothe the soul.  I can use them year around.  Earlier this year I bought a hot water bottle from Amazon.  I enjoy it too.  I think I'll get it out for tonight.  Was going to show you a photo but it's no longer available.  It has a "sock" that goes over it

Honored Contributor

Re: Comforting Self Care

[ Edited ]

@JudyL - I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious kitty. I pray you will remember all of the love and happy times you had together.  

As for my perfect self-pampering routine: I stand in a hot shower for a while with scented gel, and I pray and let the water run down my back.

Out into a clean fluffy towel and into - dare I say - comfy pj's (I wear a nightshirt for sleeping, pajamas for relaxing once in a while).

Go to the freezer for some Talenti Mediterranean Mint frozen yogurt. Then I curl up on the couch with a good movie or a good book, or a funny episode of one of my favorite comedies. 

I've never tried Korres, but it sounds wonderful. Enjoy it when you get it, and in time keep your heart open for the perfect lonely kitty to find his/her way in. (((HUGS)))

Honored Contributor

It is the worst losing our beloved pets.  Your body butter/bath routine sounds lovely.  My mom would run a hot bath for me and we would sit and share a pot of tea when challenges occurred. Yes, take the time to pamper yourself.  Grieving is natural, so allow yourself your feelings.  Much love during this difficult time 💕

Valued Contributor
@JudyL
I’m sorry for your loss. 🥲 Awful to lose a pet! My comforting self-care would include most of the things already mentioned here- bubble bath, scented candles, soft music, good chocolate. Another poster mentioned watching a funny show and I absolutely find that helps lift my spirits. You know the old saying, “laughter is the best medicine.” I agree with that. Funny show or movie or even watching bloopers on YouTube can bring some joy into your day.
Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL  and @Qgirl26 

So sorry about the loss of your pets. They sure capture our hearts!

Respected Contributor

@JudyL I'm so sorry about your kitty! Been there myself too many times, and facing it now with  12 & 14 y/o cats. It never gets easier. Do whatever it takes to lift your spirits a bi bit.

Me? Chocolate is my "self-care"!

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry about your kitty @JudyL .  Heart