Respected Contributor

I bought this item "Combpal" and I don't think it was worth the money.  I idea works but I think it would work better on thicker hair.  I wish it had the teeth closer together on the comb to hold the hair better.  I used it on the top and sides but the back was just cut by feel mostly.  My hair is short and layered and it got a lot shorter.  I have had many haircuts that I paid for that did not look as good as the one I gave myself.  My husband who never compliments me when I get a salon cut actually said it looked good.  The problem is that you cannot stop cutting.  You keep going try to make sure it is right.  I am growing out my natural color (dark brown with gray) and it looks two toned now.  The shorter parts are natural and the longer parts like on top are  another color.  I started coloring in my 30s keeping it the same color because it gave me some body not for the color so I will have to see how my natural hair behaves.  All this quarantine time has been good for trying something new.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Combpal and my DIY haircut

@chiclet   Brave Lady cutting short layered hair. I just cut the neckline and the sides of my bob across the bottom (growing the layers out). Going natural has many phases and changes of color as the dyed hair either wears off or grows out. If you like it, great. If not, boxes of color await. I must say, it's the best time to give it a shot since we're not going anywhere important and all are in the situation. 

Respected Contributor

Interesting device! Good for you! I could see that work pretty well-  Have fun trying new thing ( why not not, not going anywhere)!  Stay safe. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for mentioning Combpal, @chiclet ! I watched the tutorial, and I think it's great for short hair. Wish they had something for longer. I'm considering it so I can do DH's, although I hate cutting hair.

The other day I did my own (not the first time) with just plain old scizzors and my rat tail, but just as I've seen many stylists do...comb a section to the proper angle, then holding that in one hand while I notched away from the other.

I like how it turned out, but it takes me too long, and I would rather go to the dear young lady who I recently found!

Respected Contributor

I have short layered hair and I’m getting closer to trying to trim it - it is getting pretty shaggy!    Luckily I went natural gray a couple years ago. Sure, sometimes I think I would like color again but there have been more pluses than minuses for staying natural gray for me.   

Honored Contributor

It looks a though Kirstin found someone to cut, color and style her hair.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It looks a though Kirstin found someone to cut, color and style her hair.

@Kachina624  - I haven't seen her, but maybe she did it herself?

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal    I doubt it's a do it yourself job.  Looks professional.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I cut my hair, well most of it anyway, well some of it anyway, this morning.

I wear my hair very short, like Jamie Lee Curtis short, and it was driving me crazy. 

I have more to cut.  I had a really hard time looking in the mirror and getting the scissors right.  And I didn't really cut the back, except for the very bottom, which I cut WAY too short, LOL, a few days ago. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting that combpal item....I could have used that today as I was using a trimmer to do my husbands hair and then scissors on the top and sides some.  I am NOT good at that kind of thing at all LOL!  It came out decent....but his hair is curly so it hides any mistakes easily.  I can do the back easily and use the flat trimmer edge to make it look nice.  

I have much longer and curly hair with long layers....so no cutting for me...just let it grow.  Probably look like cousin IT by the time the salon opens in my state.