Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies 

I found that my two biggest problems were fat (specifically dairy fat) and sugar.  Neither surprises.  I think that's why I like cashews so much--they're sweet.

And another thing I found is that when I first start trying to do without junky food, I can't count calories.  I allow myself more nuts and more olive oil.  I'll put a little more sugar in my tea and have an extra cup.  It's only when I've been off the prepared junk food a while that I can then start to limit the quantity of the healthier foods and watch more calories.

These are just a couple things I've realized about myself over the years of trying to stay on the straight and narrow.  You have to figure out your triggers and do whatever it takes to get yourself on the path to where you want to go.  You can do it!  We all can do it.  ❤️💪

@geezerette, Yes, those are my biggest problems too but I will add salty things and carbs as well. My problem is I love it all.  Which is fine by me if I could just stop when I had enough, I dont. I eat when I am not hungry.  Sometimes it is out of stress or whatever.  ..and sometimes out of boredom.  Same pattern as my spending, which I need to start controlling again. 

But, these last 3 days I have been doing good. The only junk food I have been having is 2 Stella D’Oro cookies for breakfast. The rest of my snacks have been fruit or nuts. I am still having a bit too much but it is not sugar laden and for now, I am fine with that.   And for my meals, I eat what I want at lunch and for dinner, I am making it healthier and using a small plate. 

I have tried the tea trick in the past.  It doesn’t work for me. But an orange seems to cut the sugar cravings. I guess because it is citrus. I had one after dinner yesterday and didnt want anything sugary and thought hmmm.....

Anyhoo, this is going to take some work. I have loved junk food ever since I was a youngun.  I cant imagine that will ever go away. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Yesterday I did load up on fruits and things so I have to remember to reach for that when I am jonesing for something.

@aprilskies 

I haven't been to Costco, but Sprouts was fully stocked yesterday.  Bought two varieties of apples: Pink Lady and Opal.  Picked up a bag of mini peppers.  Then came citrus.  So many choices!  I really wanted Cara Cara or the raspberry blood oranges, but a couple of them felt mushy.  Ended up with a bag of Cuties.

So I'm set for work: Apples, peppers, Cuties.

What did you buy? 

@just bee, bag of halos, cara cara oranges, strawberries and cantouple. 

I have been working on the halos and cantouple. The halos arent bad. I am going to try the oranges and strawberries today and keep my fingers crossed they are decent. Last week I bought strawberries and they were not sweet at all. Which is the problem with fruit, you dont know what you get and it is not exactly cheap. 

@aprilskies 

@just bee 

Yep.  The fruit and veggie problem is seasonal.  It doesn't taste good unless it's in its season, unlike prepared junk food that tastes great (or at least the same) every time.  And then, some years are better than others.  The nature of "real" food.  Mother Nature plays a huge role.  And your access to it depends on where you live.  We have more fast food places than I can count, and more than one location of some of them.  But a decent grocery store that carries eatable produce?  Not really.

My go-to fruit is green grapes.  I can wash them up once, put them in a big bowl in the frig, and when I get a sweet tooth, I can just grab a few and it's satisfying.  But only the California green grapes, in season.  So that means that this time of year they're coming from Mexico or Chile.  They're horrible.  So, I've switched to raisins until the California grapes come back this summer.  Not ideal, but at least I'm not eating candy!

That I is the problem with fruit, it is a hit or miss. I cant even keep up with what is in season and what is not. I am starting to see plums and peaches in the store. I was surprised, Isn’t that early? 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies 

I found that my two biggest problems were fat (specifically dairy fat) and sugar.  Neither surprises.  I think that's why I like cashews so much--they're sweet.

And another thing I found is that when I first start trying to do without junky food, I can't count calories.  I allow myself more nuts and more olive oil.  I'll put a little more sugar in my tea and have an extra cup.  It's only when I've been off the prepared junk food a while that I can then start to limit the quantity of the healthier foods and watch more calories.

These are just a couple things I've realized about myself over the years of trying to stay on the straight and narrow.  You have to figure out your triggers and do whatever it takes to get yourself on the path to where you want to go.  You can do it!  We all can do it.  ❤️💪

@geezerette, Yes, those are my biggest problems too but I will add salty things and carbs as well. My problem is I love it all.  Which is fine by me if I could just stop when I had enough, I dont. I eat when I am not hungry.  Sometimes it is out of stress or whatever.  ..and sometimes out of boredom.  Same pattern as my spending, which I need to start controlling again. 

But, these last 3 days I have been doing good. The only junk food I have been having is 2 Stella D’Oro cookies for breakfast. The rest of my snacks have been fruit or nuts. I am still having a bit too much but it is not sugar laden and for now, I am fine with that.   And for my meals, I eat what I want at lunch and for dinner, I am making it healthier and using a small plate. 

I have tried the tea trick in the past.  It doesn’t work for me. But an orange seems to cut the sugar cravings. I guess because it is citrus. I had one after dinner yesterday and didnt want anything sugary and thought hmmm.....

Anyhoo, this is going to take some work. I have loved junk food ever since I was a youngun.  I cant imagine that will ever go away. 

@aprilskies 

You just described my problem to a 'T' also!😄

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Yesterday I did load up on fruits and things so I have to remember to reach for that when I am jonesing for something.

@aprilskies 

I haven't been to Costco, but Sprouts was fully stocked yesterday.  Bought two varieties of apples: Pink Lady and Opal.  Picked up a bag of mini peppers.  Then came citrus.  So many choices!  I really wanted Cara Cara or the raspberry blood oranges, but a couple of them felt mushy.  Ended up with a bag of Cuties.

So I'm set for work: Apples, peppers, Cuties.

What did you buy? 

@just bee, bag of halos, cara cara oranges, strawberries and cantouple. 

I have been working on the halos and cantouple. The halos arent bad. I am going to try the oranges and strawberries today and keep my fingers crossed they are decent. Last week I bought strawberries and they were not sweet at all. Which is the problem with fruit, you dont know what you get and it is not exactly cheap. 

@aprilskies 

@just bee 

Yep.  The fruit and veggie problem is seasonal.  It doesn't taste good unless it's in its season, unlike prepared junk food that tastes great (or at least the same) every time.  And then, some years are better than others.  The nature of "real" food.  Mother Nature plays a huge role.  And your access to it depends on where you live.  We have more fast food places than I can count, and more than one location of some of them.  But a decent grocery store that carries eatable produce?  Not really.

My go-to fruit is green grapes.  I can wash them up once, put them in a big bowl in the frig, and when I get a sweet tooth, I can just grab a few and it's satisfying.  But only the California green grapes, in season.  So that means that this time of year they're coming from Mexico or Chile.  They're horrible.  So, I've switched to raisins until the California grapes come back this summer.  Not ideal, but at least I'm not eating candy!

That I is the problem with fruit, it is a hit or miss. I cant even keep up with what is in season and what is not. I am starting to see plums and peaches in the store. I was surprised, Isn’t that early? 

@aprilskies 

They're most likely from another country this time of year.  You have to learn to read the labels with fruit, like so many other things.  To me, most of the time the produce from outside the U.S./Canada and sometimes Mexico just doesn't have any flavor.  I think they have to pick it so early in order to ship it. 

Even produce from different areas of the U.S. can differ in flavor.  I love Georgia peaches, but what they now label as "Southern" peaches I don't. Sweet onions from Texas taste different than the ones from Florida.  It's a learning experience to figure out what you like the best and when it's in season.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your support ladies. I know you all have or will travel down this road one day.
There is a lot of guilty feelings that I face. The best thing is I have a great little sister! She and I are the best team.
Big sister won't help. We just wish she would give my mom's wedding rings BACK. She admits to taking them but my moms rings belong on my mom's finger😒 my mother remembers them missing all the time!

Well anyway, I am going to change some of our front yard land escaping this year and put in a veggie garden this year.
Biggest thing is having that beautiful willow tree trimmed up. That will be done by professionals. Biggest globe willow I have ever seen!
I can't wait till it reaches the 70 degree mark! I am actually excited! I do love Spring!

Take care everybody!!! Brisk out ....
PS, I do love Eros and he loves the two pups!!! He actually rubs up on them. He really fits in here and boy
We got lucky☺
Respected Contributor

PS land escaping? LOL, I am glad you all know me!!!😄
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

Oooh... cashews. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

The only junk food I have been having is 2 Stella D’Oro cookies for breakfast.

@aprilskies 

Oooh... Stella D'oros.... Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:

PS, I do love Eros and he loves the two pups!!! He actually rubs up on them. He really fits in here and boy
We got lucky☺

@Brisky 

Eros

Now there is only one god of love.

Respected Contributor

@just bee 

@geezerette - I LOVE cashews, they are definitely my favorite nut. But I don't buy them because I would eat the whole jar and they are very fattening,