Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies -I was like you at the end of the year last year, before I started with HEP. 

We had all sorts of junk food and treats in the house that I wanted to try to eat up before I started cutting back and trying to lose weight. I didn't want to waste it, so I ate way more than I should have and probaby gained an extra 5 lbs that I had to lose when the time finaly came. We still had junk in the house when it was time for me to "diet". I just had to decide not to eat it. It wasn't easy, but I just had to do it or else I knew that I would never start.

Even now, we still have candy, cookies, chips in the house. I just have to choose not to eat it. It's hard sometimes, and sometimes I will have a small treat. If you're like me, and you hate wasting food, maybe you can just set some of your treats aside if they won't go bad within the next few weeks and plan on eating them later, rather than trying to get thru them and then cutting back.

Because for me, it seems like as soon as the ones in the house are gone, new ones reappear to take its place. I know that I have a hubby and kids which makes it harder, I wouldn't buy nearly as much as I do if it wasn't for them. But they are here, (the food and the boys) and I need to learn to live with it and just make smarter choices for myself if I can. Not perfect, just smarter overall. Good luck this month, I know you can do it!

@rnmom., The struggle is real, for sure. Yes, me too,this is exactly what I go through. It is a vicious cycle. There are plenty of times I reach a point and give most of it away or throw some away only to load up again so I am not going to do that this time even though I have everything from A-Z. I want that to be my reminder not to buy anything when I am at the store.  Yes, I am putting it all on hold and no snacking on any junk food in the evenings this week.  That is my plan and I am pretty irritated with myself so I think I will do it.

Yesterday I did load up on fruits and things so I have to remember to reach for that when I am jonesing for something.

And I want to make walking a must every day or almost every day.  I shouldnt have any excuses as to why I cant do it. I am aiming to do it first thing after work when I get home.

You are doing great.  Keep on going and thanks for the encouragement.  It is great when others know how you feel and you dont feel alone.

I am now on a mission to catch up to you.  Look out, that will be me on the left.  Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

@aprilskies 

If you can do that, you're a better man than I am!😂

I can't have any kind of snacks in the house and resist them.  I even have to be careful of healthy foods that resemble snacks, like nuts.  I can sit down and eat those by the pound too!

Good luck in your journey.  The first few steps are the hardest.  Again, it's more of a mind set than anything else.  But you can do it!  We're all pulling for you!  Go aprikskies!👍💪🙂

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@just bee Wow. That is so interesting to me. I think that if I had a fire I would abandon any clothing that I could not reclaim myself and start from scratch with a small wardrobe. 

Living in a smaller space would help me from overbuying. When we retire in a few years, I want to sell my 2,500 sq. ft. house and move into one under 1800 sq. ft. I will be forced to get rid of a lot of clothes. What I need to do now is start living like we were retired so that I will not have to stress about my wardrobe later.

I am on a no-buy, as I said a few posts earlier, which is forcing me to work with what I have. All of my clothes work with each other so that tells me that I have a good wardrobe. I think that I will only add something to my wardrobe for spring/summer if it will make items I already own work better together. 

I have been binging on blogs about how to wear what you already own and it is an eyeopener I am learning so much. I   finally understand that I have too many Pima cotton tee shirts that are similar and serve the same function so unless one of Isaac's Pima cotton tees will "connect" with what I already have in my closet and makes an item work better, I need to just abstain from buying them just because the Q has them on "sale" for $3-5 off.

@Squirrel Lover 

That's exactly the conclusion I came to a few months ago.  I thought about what types of tees I wear most--sleeve length, color, etc.--and decided I could make do with fewer styles than I have now.  The same style can serve in various seasons and I'd rather have a few and then buy more when I need them than have half a closet full of different style t-shirts, half of which I'm not wearing at any given time.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

The plan for dinner last night was pasta and shrimp in an Alfredo sauce.  At the last minute I decided I didn't want the sauce.  Just shrimp sauteed in olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes on linguine.  Had steamed asparagus on the side.

I did not miss the sauce.

And that's the problem I see with commercially prepared food.  Sushi restaurants are serving what should be simple pieces of fish with a variety of sauces and layers of decoration.  Yogurt, which should just be milk gone bad, has too many flavorings and cr_p in it.

Have you seen the Chobani Flip?

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough yogurt has cookie dough pieces, cookie rice crisps and milk chocolate chips.  Tons of flavors like Cinnamon Bun Fun, Rocky Road, S'Mores S'Mores, Peanut Butter Cup, Coffee Brownie Bliss.  All full of sugar and honey.  Gak!

Is there something you're eating that could do without an ingredient or two?

@just bee 

Yes, ma'am.  And tried them too.  I like the hazelnut ones.  But honestly, they're almost as sweet as my favorite Haagen Daz ice cream and actually have more yucky (as in, bad for you) ingredients than the ice cream does!😱

Respected Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Hello to all! I have sprung into spring early this year!

So glad to see Carla is still around Geezerette.☺

Just bee, It feels like years have gone by since your house fire! Probably not to you though... Does your house look totally different? Do you like it?

We have hired help for my mother 4 days a week.
She also has meals on wheels and life alert in place.
They come in two times a day, 9-11 AM and 5 -7 PM.
I am so relieved.
Whenever my sister and I left her, We would just worry about her. It takes some of the pressure off us.

Still not buying anything but groceries. Trying to stay away from junk food. Will admit to buying a package of three Dove Bars. Yes, I ate all three. 😔

Everybody, have a good day. Brisk out to buy groceries for my mother this time.

@Brisky, so glad you were able to get some help for her. It has to be a great relief for you. It is hard when you are dealing with aging parents. I am in the same boat. It hasn’t been easy. But they live close by and is one of the reasons I am hesitant in move. 

And yes, pass on the Dove bars. Little treats aren’t always a bad thing. 

Good luck. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Puppies?

@just bee 

😂

Yes.  I accompanied my friend to the shelter to see a new batch of Boxer (mix) puppies that had just come in.  Boxers are her second love, behind Rotties.😉  I have to admit that they were adorable.  And one female was getting adopted just as we came in.  My friend put her dibs on her favorite of the litter to foster in case the rest don't get adopted quickly.

We also took an older dog outside to the run.  He was a pitiful old man, with battle scars all over.  He has been at the shelter for some time and is horribly overweight.  Very needy and clingy and would love to be a lap dog.  I felt so sorry for him.  It's a good thing I have Carla or he might have ended up with a new home!😱

Lastly, we stopped at her house because I hadn't had a chance to see her lastest fosters.  Along with her own dogs and cats, of course.  So I was covered in doggie smells and hair by the time I got home!  Even the cats were smelling me.🤭

@geezerette 

Way more brave than moi.  I can't go into shelters or to adoption clinics.  It's even hard to see the adoptee of the day on our local morning show.  All these animals seem like such fine family members -- how can they not have homes?

It seems like every time a dog appears on our morning show, the shelter representative has a story about how the pet owner passed away.  I'm skeptical.  That's a lot of dead pet owners.

Oh, well.  I better start thinking about a nap before I go to work tonight...

@just bee, Me too. I often think about volunteering at the shelter but I just cant do it. I have 2 kitties already, I dont want a third or a dog right now.  I am just not home all day.  Maybe when I retire, I will adopt more.  

@geezerette, such a nice thing your friend does.  I just love animal lovers. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies -I was like you at the end of the year last year, before I started with HEP. 

We had all sorts of junk food and treats in the house that I wanted to try to eat up before I started cutting back and trying to lose weight. I didn't want to waste it, so I ate way more than I should have and probaby gained an extra 5 lbs that I had to lose when the time finaly came. We still had junk in the house when it was time for me to "diet". I just had to decide not to eat it. It wasn't easy, but I just had to do it or else I knew that I would never start.

Even now, we still have candy, cookies, chips in the house. I just have to choose not to eat it. It's hard sometimes, and sometimes I will have a small treat. If you're like me, and you hate wasting food, maybe you can just set some of your treats aside if they won't go bad within the next few weeks and plan on eating them later, rather than trying to get thru them and then cutting back.

Because for me, it seems like as soon as the ones in the house are gone, new ones reappear to take its place. I know that I have a hubby and kids which makes it harder, I wouldn't buy nearly as much as I do if it wasn't for them. But they are here, (the food and the boys) and I need to learn to live with it and just make smarter choices for myself if I can. Not perfect, just smarter overall. Good luck this month, I know you can do it!

@rnmom., The struggle is real, for sure. Yes, me too,this is exactly what I go through. It is a vicious cycle. There are plenty of times I reach a point and give most of it away or throw some away only to load up again so I am not going to do that this time even though I have everything from A-Z. I want that to be my reminder not to buy anything when I am at the store.  Yes, I am putting it all on hold and no snacking on any junk food in the evenings this week.  That is my plan and I am pretty irritated with myself so I think I will do it.

Yesterday I did load up on fruits and things so I have to remember to reach for that when I am jonesing for something.

And I want to make walking a must every day or almost every day.  I shouldnt have any excuses as to why I cant do it. I am aiming to do it first thing after work when I get home.

You are doing great.  Keep on going and thanks for the encouragement.  It is great when others know how you feel and you dont feel alone.

I am now on a mission to catch up to you.  Look out, that will be me on the left.  Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

@aprilskies 

I can't have any kind of snacks in the house and resist them.  I even have to be careful of healthy foods that resemble snacks, like nuts.  I can sit down and eat those by the pound too!

Good luck in your journey.  The first few steps are the hardest.  Again, it's more of a mind set than anything else.  But you can do it!  We're all pulling for you!  Go aprikskies!👍💪🙂

@geezerette, I am going to try to do it, otherwise, tomorrow never comes. Right now I have the gamut of junk food and healthy snacks for that matter.  I will say it is hard. Yesterday was tough but I reached for cantouple and then when I was jonesing for something I went for the cashews instead of the ice cream. Not that cashews are any less calories and I would argue more, but at least it wasnt sugar.  

But, that is my problem. I have a house full of nuts too. Healthy sure, but not weight friendly.  Yes me too. I eat them by the lb. that is why I stand by the fact, it isn’t the type of food, it is the quantity. 

I am nowhere near having a snack proof home, but will try and work on getting there. 

It is really amazing to me that I am having a hard time beating this. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies 

I haven't been to Costco, but Sprouts was fully stocked yesterday.  Bought two varieties of apples: Pink Lady and Opal.  Picked up a bag of mini peppers.  Then came citrus.  So many choices!  I really wanted Cara Cara or the raspberry blood oranges, but a couple of them felt mushy.  Ended up with a bag of Cuties.

So I'm set for work: Apples, peppers, Cuties.

What did you buy? 

@just bee, bag of halos, cara cara oranges, strawberries and cantouple. 

I have been working on the halos and cantouple. The halos arent bad. I am going to try the oranges and strawberries today and keep my fingers crossed they are decent. Last week I bought strawberries and they were not sweet at all. Which is the problem with fruit, you dont know what you get and it is not exactly cheap. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Puppies?

@just bee 

😂

Yes.  I accompanied my friend to the shelter to see a new batch of Boxer (mix) puppies that had just come in.  Boxers are her second love, behind Rotties.😉  I have to admit that they were adorable.  And one female was getting adopted just as we came in.  My friend put her dibs on her favorite of the litter to foster in case the rest don't get adopted quickly.

We also took an older dog outside to the run.  He was a pitiful old man, with battle scars all over.  He has been at the shelter for some time and is horribly overweight.  Very needy and clingy and would love to be a lap dog.  I felt so sorry for him.  It's a good thing I have Carla or he might have ended up with a new home!😱

Lastly, we stopped at her house because I hadn't had a chance to see her lastest fosters.  Along with her own dogs and cats, of course.  So I was covered in doggie smells and hair by the time I got home!  Even the cats were smelling me.🤭

@geezerette 

Way more brave than moi.  I can't go into shelters or to adoption clinics.  It's even hard to see the adoptee of the day on our local morning show.  All these animals seem like such fine family members -- how can they not have homes?

It seems like every time a dog appears on our morning show, the shelter representative has a story about how the pet owner passed away.  I'm skeptical.  That's a lot of dead pet owners.

Oh, well.  I better start thinking about a nap before I go to work tonight...

@just bee, Me too. I often think about volunteering at the shelter but I just cant do it. I have 2 kitties already, I dont want a third or a dog right now.  I am just not home all day.  Maybe when I retire, I will adopt more.  

@geezerette, such a nice thing your friend does.  I just love animal lovers. 

@aprilskies 

Yes, my friend is a great animal lover, which is actually the first thing that drew us together.  And she's a one in a million friend; I'm truly blessed to have her in my life at this point.  In fact, she's about the only one I do have right now.

But you're right, it isn't all sweetness and light.  There have been numerous times I've had to talk her out of quitting when the outcome of some of the dogs or cats has not gone well.  But we try to focus on all the ones that do get saved and adopted into loving forever homes.  

My opinion of shelters has changed over the years.  They did used to be horrible places of filth, apathy and death.  But most have changed.  Our small shelter used to be something to be avoided until a few years ago.  It was my friend that coaxed me into visiting again and I was surprised at what I found.  Caring staff, clean surroundings, and a lot more of the general population wanting to adopt than in the past.  Yes, it's still a shelter, which is not the optimum life for anyone.  But they all have toys and beds and cagemates if they want.  The dogs get daily outside exercise.  I think what surprised me the most was the staff, though.  They truly love the animals.  They play with them (when their time permits) and give extra love and attention to those that need it.  And even in our tiny shelter, they do their best do place every adoptable animal.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies 

@geezerette, I am going to try to do it, otherwise, tomorrow never comes. Right now I have the gamut of junk food and healthy snacks for that matter.  I will say it is hard. Yesterday was tough but I reached for cantouple and then when I was jonesing for something I went for the cashews instead of the ice cream. Not that cashews are any less calories and I would argue more, but at least it wasnt sugar.  

But, that is my problem. I have a house full of nuts too. Healthy sure, but not weight friendly.  Yes me too. I eat them by the lb. that is why I stand by the fact, it isn’t the type of food, it is the quantity. 

I am nowhere near having a snack proof home, but will try and work on getting there. 

It is really amazing to me that I am having a hard time beating this. 

@aprilskies 

I found that my two biggest problems were fat (specifically dairy fat) and sugar.  Neither surprises.  I think that's why I like cashews so much--they're sweet.

And another thing I found is that when I first start trying to do without junky food, I can't count calories.  I allow myself more nuts and more olive oil.  I'll put a little more sugar in my tea and have an extra cup.  It's only when I've been off the prepared junk food a while that I can then start to limit the quantity of the healthier foods and watch more calories.

These are just a couple things I've realized about myself over the years of trying to stay on the straight and narrow.  You have to figure out your triggers and do whatever it takes to get yourself on the path to where you want to go.  You can do it!  We all can do it.  ❤️💪

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies 

I haven't been to Costco, but Sprouts was fully stocked yesterday.  Bought two varieties of apples: Pink Lady and Opal.  Picked up a bag of mini peppers.  Then came citrus.  So many choices!  I really wanted Cara Cara or the raspberry blood oranges, but a couple of them felt mushy.  Ended up with a bag of Cuties.

So I'm set for work: Apples, peppers, Cuties.

What did you buy? 

@just bee, bag of halos, cara cara oranges, strawberries and cantouple. 

I have been working on the halos and cantouple. The halos arent bad. I am going to try the oranges and strawberries today and keep my fingers crossed they are decent. Last week I bought strawberries and they were not sweet at all. Which is the problem with fruit, you dont know what you get and it is not exactly cheap. 

@aprilskies 

@just bee 

Yep.  The fruit and veggie problem is seasonal.  It doesn't taste good unless it's in its season, unlike prepared junk food that tastes great (or at least the same) every time.  And then, some years are better than others.  The nature of "real" food.  Mother Nature plays a huge role.  And your access to it depends on where you live.  We have more fast food places than I can count, and more than one location of some of them.  But a decent grocery store that carries eatable produce?  Not really.

My go-to fruit is green grapes.  I can wash them up once, put them in a big bowl in the frig, and when I get a sweet tooth, I can just grab a few and it's satisfying.  But only the California green grapes, in season.  So that means that this time of year they're coming from Mexico or Chile.  They're horrible.  So, I've switched to raisins until the California grapes come back this summer.  Not ideal, but at least I'm not eating candy!