Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@just bee Wow. That is so interesting to me. I think that if I had a fire I would abandon any clothing that I could not reclaim myself and start from scratch with a small wardrobe. 

Living in a smaller space would help me from overbuying. When we retire in a few years, I want to sell my 2,500 sq. ft. house and move into one under 1800 sq. ft. I will be forced to get rid of a lot of clothes. What I need to do now is start living like we were retired so that I will not have to stress about my wardrobe later.

I am on a no-buy, as I said a few posts earlier, which is forcing me to work with what I have. All of my clothes work with each other so that tells me that I have a good wardrobe. I think that I will only add something to my wardrobe for spring/summer if it will make items I already own work better together. 

I have been binging on blogs about how to wear what you already own and it is an eyeopener I am learning so much. I   finally understand that I have too many Pima cotton tee shirts that are similar and serve the same function so unless one of Isaac's Pima cotton tees will "connect" with what I already have in my closet and makes an item work better, I need to just abstain from buying them just because the Q has them on "sale" for $3-5 off.

@Squirrel Lover 

Much of what I saved were clothes that were better quality and dressier -- silky blouses, wool sweaters, "slacks," dresses, leather coats and jackets.  Velvety items.

In real life, I wear hiking pants and sweatshirts.

I'm not going to make any big decisions until after we settle into the house.  But most of these clothes are fall/winter so they'll just sit in closets until then.

My lifestyle is very casual.  I will probably part with most of this stuff.

But isn't it interesting what we actually reach for day after day?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Hello to all! I have sprung into spring early this year!

So glad to see Carla is still around Geezerette.☺

Just bee, It feels like years have gone by since your house fire! Probably not to you though... Does your house look totally different? Do you like it?

We have hired help for my mother 4 days a week.
She also has meals on wheels and life alert in place.
They come in two times a day, 9-11 AM and 5 -7 PM.
I am so relieved.
Whenever my sister and I left her, We would just worry about her. It takes some of the pressure off us.

Still not buying anything but groceries. Trying to stay away from junk food. Will admit to buying a package of three Dove Bars. Yes, I ate all three. 😔

Everybody, have a good day. Brisk out to buy groceries for my mother this time.
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:

Just bee, It feels like years have gone by since your house fire! Probably not to you though... Does your house look totally different? Do you like it?

I am so relieved.
Whenever my sister and I left her, We would just worry about her. It takes some of the pressure off us.

Still not buying anything but groceries. Trying to stay away from junk food. Will admit to buying a package of three Dove Bars. Yes, I ate all three. 😔

@Brisky 

I'm relieved, too. Heart

My sister tried to take on all the caregiver responsibility herself and it didn't work out well at all. 

I get a lot of email and snail mail from different organizations and I thought of you when I saw these tips for caregivers:

Eat a well-balanced meal and stay hydrated.

Get adequate sleep.

Exercise, even if only for a 15-minute walk in the fresh air.

Take a break every day, even if it's 15 minutes alone in a quiet space.

Give yourself permission to have a good cry. Crying is the body’s way  of reducing and processing emotional stress.

Learn relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation.

Listen to music.

Connect with a friend or family member every day.

Let family and friends help. Give them printed material(s) on memory disorders so they can better understand the loved one.

Take advantage of community resources and reach out to those who can help.

Embracing these self-care tips will transform your lifestyle in healthy ways, benefiting both you and those you care about.

Remember: Take care of yourself first so you're in a better position to care for someone else!

It all sounds like simple, common sense stuff, but when you're taking care of someone you're not thinking about yourself.  And when you're exhausted and worried and upset, you become angry and bitter, resentful and impatient.  And then you feel guilty.

Don't sweat the Dove bars.  You earned them. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Yup, my Costco’s was out of tp and barely had any bottled water.  Plenty of paper towels but they emptied the shelves and had them all on the floor.  Geez.  Are we headed towards an apocalypse?

@aprilskies 

Oh, good.  We're getting low on paper towels. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:

I am so relieved.

@Brisky 

So glad you popped in!  I was about to send out an SOS for you!😄

Yes, Carla is still around.  Since she stays glued to my side almost 24 hours a day, I guess she'll be here for the duration, whether I like it or not!😉  Although she was not a happy camper yesterday when I came home smelling like puppies!😳😠

I'm so happy for you that you found some help for your mom.  I know how draining that can be.  It literally takes everything out of you.  It becomes tough to balance her care with your family and yourself.  You and your sister are wonderful to do what it takes to keep her at home.  The older I get the more I think about my future, and having to go to some sort of 'facility' just terrifies me.  My mother always told us kids that when the time came, she never wanted to be a burden to us and to just put her somewhere if necessary.  But when that time became reality, she wanted no part of it.  She kept insisting she was fine by herself at home.  I'm beginning to understand better how she felt.

Good for you for doing so well with the junk food!  You get a dispensation for the three Dove bars...😇😆

Keep in touch. ❤️

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

Puppies?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky wrote:

I am so relieved.

@Brisky 

I'm relieved, too. Heart

My sister tried to take on all the caregiver responsibility herself and it didn't work out well at all. 

I get a lot of email and snail mail from different organizations and I thought of you when I saw these tips for caregivers:

Eat a well-balanced meal and stay hydrated.

Get adequate sleep.

Exercise, even if only for a 15-minute walk in the fresh air.

Take a break every day, even if it's 15 minutes alone in a quiet space.

Give yourself permission to have a good cry. Crying is the body’s way  of reducing and processing emotional stress.

Learn relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation.

Listen to music.

Connect with a friend or family member every day.

Let family and friends help. Give them printed material(s) on memory disorders so they can better understand the loved one.

Take advantage of community resources and reach out to those who can help.

Embracing these self-care tips will transform your lifestyle in healthy ways, benefiting both you and those you care about.

Remember: Take care of yourself first so you're in a better position to care for someone else!

It all sounds like simple, common sense stuff, but when you're taking care of someone you're not thinking about yourself.  And when you're exhausted and worried and upset, you become angry and bitter, resentful and impatient.  And then you feel guilty.

Don't sweat the Dove bars.  You earned them. Heart

@Brisky 

@just bee 

All of those are apropos, but especially about crying.  When I cared for my mom, I often thought how much nicer it would be if I just lived closer to her.  (We lived in the same town, but about ten miles away.)  It would have saved so much more time and I was always exhausted when I finally got home.  But I have to admit that oftentimes, that drive home was when I cried my heart out.  It was my own private and quiet time.  And usually by the time I did get home, I felt better and could focus on my own life for a while.

And on another note, you could apply most of those tips to dealing with our current health 'situation' too!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Puppies?

@just bee 

😂

Yes.  I accompanied my friend to the shelter to see a new batch of Boxer (mix) puppies that had just come in.  Boxers are her second love, behind Rotties.😉  I have to admit that they were adorable.  And one female was getting adopted just as we came in.  My friend put her dibs on her favorite of the litter to foster in case the rest don't get adopted quickly.

We also took an older dog outside to the run.  He was a pitiful old man, with battle scars all over.  He has been at the shelter for some time and is horribly overweight.  Very needy and clingy and would love to be a lap dog.  I felt so sorry for him.  It's a good thing I have Carla or he might have ended up with a new home!😱

Lastly, we stopped at her house because I hadn't had a chance to see her lastest fosters.  Along with her own dogs and cats, of course.  So I was covered in doggie smells and hair by the time I got home!  Even the cats were smelling me.🤭

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Puppies?

@just bee 

😂

Yes.  I accompanied my friend to the shelter to see a new batch of Boxer (mix) puppies that had just come in.  Boxers are her second love, behind Rotties.😉  I have to admit that they were adorable.  And one female was getting adopted just as we came in.  My friend put her dibs on her favorite of the litter to foster in case the rest don't get adopted quickly.

We also took an older dog outside to the run.  He was a pitiful old man, with battle scars all over.  He has been at the shelter for some time and is horribly overweight.  Very needy and clingy and would love to be a lap dog.  I felt so sorry for him.  It's a good thing I have Carla or he might have ended up with a new home!😱

Lastly, we stopped at her house because I hadn't had a chance to see her lastest fosters.  Along with her own dogs and cats, of course.  So I was covered in doggie smells and hair by the time I got home!  Even the cats were smelling me.🤭

@geezerette 

Way more brave than moi.  I can't go into shelters or to adoption clinics.  It's even hard to see the adoptee of the day on our local morning show.  All these animals seem like such fine family members -- how can they not have homes?

It seems like every time a dog appears on our morning show, the shelter representative has a story about how the pet owner passed away.  I'm skeptical.  That's a lot of dead pet owners.

Oh, well.  I better start thinking about a nap before I go to work tonight...

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Puppies?

@just bee 

😂

@geezerette 

Way more brave than moi.  I can't go into shelters or to adoption clinics.  It's even hard to see the adoptee of the day on our local morning show.  All these animals seem like such fine family members -- how can they not have homes?

It seems like every time a dog appears on our morning show, the shelter representative has a story about how the pet owner passed away.  I'm skeptical.  That's a lot of dead pet owners.

Oh, well.  I better start thinking about a nap before I go to work tonight...

@just bee 

I'm getting better at it the older I get.  I look at a dog now and just think of all the work it will entail (and the money it will cost) and I can control myself.  But it still is hard.  I find that the old dogs and cats get to me now.  Probably because I know that the young ones will get adopted.

We're not the only ones that feel that way.  Almost every time my friend gets a new batch of fosters, she's telling me that she wants to keep one or more of them!  Never fails.😂