Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Moderate March

@rnmom wrote:

We haven't had to start baking yet, but the thought sure did cross our minds. We bought 2 bags of flour at Meijer on friday when we honestly couldn't even find one loaf of bread. We still have 2 growing boys to feed.

We did end up getting some at Aldi the next day, but it sure won't hurt to have flour and yeast on hand. 

@rnmom 

I have plenty of my Food for Life cinnamon raisin bread -- it's in the refrigerated section at the store.  But the stuff on the shelves is gone.  How does one hoard bread?  Are people freezing it?  It molds so quickly around here, I imagine they'd have to.

We're finding rolls in the bakery section at the store and our local bakeries are still open for business.  For now.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette @just bee @Eager2Learn, broken limbs have entered my mind so I am right there with you. The hospital is the last place I care to be right now.  @Eager2Learn, your fall, just terrible.  Definitely gives you the fear of falling.  

@FindingMyJoy, rollerblading does sound like fun. Something different.  But a bit more than what I want to invest.  It isnt just the skates, its all the protective gear as well that starts to add up. It would be worth it if one was to use them but I stare at all of my mistakes everyday as they collect dust. So for now, these are on the back burner. Especially as this virus is predicted to go through the summer.  

Thanks, Ladies.  

@aprilskies 

That's the problem with so many activities.  You have to buy equipment and special gear.  All you need for a walk is a comfortable pair of shoes.

I notice this virus hasn't discouraged the dog walkers from leaving their homes.  The parks are full of them.

Just a little bit of normal.

Which reminds me.  If I hear "this is the new normal" one more time, my head will explode.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom, March is not going well for me. My beauty purchases are minimum but it is everything else that I have not been mindful about. And then dont get me started on stocking up. I was able to find some tp and water so I got an extra package of tp and few cases of water. I at least feel more comfortable now. And I stocked up on some food as well.  With all this closure talk, the question is are we going to be on complete lockdown at one point, not sure so better safe than sorry. People still have not calmed down out there so how long this run on things will last is uncertain.  And I don’t necessarily blame them. Around here, places are starting to close or have reduced hours. It is getting real or has been for a while.  But if everyone can just calm down, supplies could get back to normal.  But having said that, I am doing my best to be as prepared as I can too. 

Whether anyone is taking the virus seriously, what is happening all around is real. It feels like an apocalypse when you enter the stores. And it is surreal to see people walking around with masks. Not many, but I do see more and more each day. 

The interesting part is that a virus has people running around scared more than any threat of war. The opponent we cannot see. 

@aprilskies 

thejigsawpuzzles.com

I recommend this site.

I like to focus on things that keep me from thinking about the Stock Market and our brand new refrigerator.

We were at the house yesterday and noticed that both doors are dented.  They weren't that way when it was delivered.

I'm not looking forward to moving into the house because we'll only find more of this.

Almost a year ago our house burned and I lost most of what I'd collected for decades.  Almost a year has passed and we will be moving into a house that looks very different from the one that burned.

I just keep thinking about next year.

Maybe we should all think about next year.  Things might be very different.  Like... better?

Honored Contributor

image.png

It's St. Patrick's Day.  I'm having corned beef and cabbage and I'm drinking beer.

I'm taking a holiday from COVID-19.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

We haven't had to start baking yet, but the thought sure did cross our minds. We bought 2 bags of flour at Meijer on friday when we honestly couldn't even find one loaf of bread. We still have 2 growing boys to feed.

We did end up getting some at Aldi the next day, but it sure won't hurt to have flour and yeast on hand. 

@rnmom 

I have plenty of my Food for Life cinnamon raisin bread -- it's in the refrigerated section at the store.  But the stuff on the shelves is gone.  How does one hoard bread?  Are people freezing it?  It molds so quickly around here, I imagine they'd have to.

We're finding rolls in the bakery section at the store and our local bakeries are still open for business.  For now.

If you have extra bread or rolls that you don't think you'll eat before they mold, do try to freeze some! I've found that regular sliced bread freezes just fine in it's original bag. Often the large loaves are too big for me to finish, so I tried freezing and it's just fine. I'm not encouraging hoarding of food, just encouraging ways to keep the food good vs it going to waste. Smiley Happy When in doubt try freezing stuff to enjoy later!

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

image.png

It's St. Patrick's Day.  I'm having corned beef and cabbage and I'm drinking beer.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Smiley Happy I don't have anything Irish to eat but I do have beer...will have 1 tonight after work..is it ok if I don't make it green beer? LOL 

I placed an order on Amazon for contact lens cleaning solution vs going to the store. I was tempted to buy some Easter chocolates to enjoy but declined. Instead I bought a couple things of teas to enjoy. Hot tea sipping and a good book = a good way to relax for me. I hope you all find little moments of good regardless what's going on outside. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom, March is not going well for me. My beauty purchases are minimum but it is everything else that I have not been mindful about. And then dont get me started on stocking up. I was able to find some tp and water so I got an extra package of tp and few cases of water. I at least feel more comfortable now. And I stocked up on some food as well.  With all this closure talk, the question is are we going to be on complete lockdown at one point, not sure so better safe than sorry. People still have not calmed down out there so how long this run on things will last is uncertain.  And I don’t necessarily blame them. Around here, places are starting to close or have reduced hours. It is getting real or has been for a while.  But if everyone can just calm down, supplies could get back to normal.  But having said that, I am doing my best to be as prepared as I can too. 

Whether anyone is taking the virus seriously, what is happening all around is real. It feels like an apocalypse when you enter the stores. And it is surreal to see people walking around with masks. Not many, but I do see more and more each day. 

The interesting part is that a virus has people running around scared more than any threat of war. The opponent we cannot see. 

@aprilskies 

thejigsawpuzzles.com

I recommend this site.

I like to focus on things that keep me from thinking about the Stock Market and our brand new refrigerator.

We were at the house yesterday and noticed that both doors are dented.  They weren't that way when it was delivered.

I'm not looking forward to moving into the house because we'll only find more of this.

Almost a year ago our house burned and I lost most of what I'd collected for decades.  Almost a year has passed and we will be moving into a house that looks very different from the one that burned.

I just keep thinking about next year.

Maybe we should all think about next year.  Things might be very different.  Like... better?

@just beeyou are having such a time with the house.  I hope once you get in you dont see a whole host of things wrong. That would be a nightmare over what you have already been through. 

Thanks for the puzzle site. I will check it out. I am going to try and limit watching TV as much as possible. I just dont find that many shows or movies I am interested in.  I find them so boring or predictable or just more of the same or sometimes the things they show are so ridiculous.  I would like to start reading more, I dont know why I am having such a hard time picking up a book.

And as far as radical, that may of been the wrong word. Nothing radical but for the most part I find myself going to work and coming home exhausted and slumped in front of the TV. Not good.  So that is what I meant about something new to do, think about, focus on.  I am just not sure what that is.

Yes, the stock market, oy vey, my retirement slips through my hands oh so very fast. I cannot beleive what has been going on.  It was pretty high but I am hoping that it wil rebound quickly since this drop is due to an event and not a natural up and down circumstance.Either way, it will be long time until we are at the end of this so....hang on.

@geezerette. did you stock drop low enough now?

I do wonder of the changes that this situation will bring once it is down.  Will companies allow more work from home days, will people keep stocking just in case there is a next time, how many small stores will close and will they be able to reopen, etc etc. 

Interesting times. 

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

If you have extra bread or rolls that you don't think you'll eat before they mold, do try to freeze some! I've found that regular sliced bread freezes just fine in it's original bag. Often the large loaves are too big for me to finish, so I tried freezing and it's just fine. I'm not encouraging hoarding of food, just encouraging ways to keep the food good vs it going to waste. Smiley Happy When in doubt try freezing stuff to enjoy later!

I freeze bread all of the time.  Either the loafs or rolls.  They freeze well. No problem. 

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

image.png

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Smiley Happy I don't have anything Irish to eat but I do have beer...will have 1 tonight after work..is it ok if I don't make it green beer? LOL 

I placed an order on Amazon for contact lens cleaning solution vs going to the store. I was tempted to buy some Easter chocolates to enjoy but declined. Instead I bought a couple things of teas to enjoy. Hot tea sipping and a good book = a good way to relax for me. I hope you all find little moments of good regardless what's going on outside. 

@FindingMyJoy, I will join you for a beer or two later. Woman Embarassed  I am actually enjoying Samuel Adams Cold Snap. It is limited edition for the winter. ...and no, it is not green but it will do. 

Respected Contributor

Well, I heard this morning that the virus isnt going to peak until 45 days from now and it can take up to 2-3 months before people are back in their offices.  omgosh. We will follow the Governor's lead. I am lucky that I can work from home and not worry about a paycheck. My heart breaks for those that dont have that luxury and for those in the healthcare field. It's going to be a bumpy ride.  

The administration is now talking about setting up MASH units. 

We now have a curfew from 8pm to 5am. Only if you have an emergency can you be out and about. So, you have to get your shopping or whatever done before 8pm.  Makes sense and right but.....what a slippery slope. 

Fun times.