Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Meaning May

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies 

Refer to my post to @geezerette  regarding creative visualization.

I like your analogy about jigsaw puzzles.  I think it fits.  And it might explain why so many of us have started to do puzzles again.  We're trying to put our lives back together.

Moving into a new space is an opportunity.  You have said that you feel stuck.  Moving into a new space is a good way to get unstuck.  Again, refer to my previous post about creative visualization.

Where do you see yourself?

Start looking for that place.

What do you see in that place?  What's not there?

Is the house near a big park or an outdoor mall where you can walk and explore?

Is there a yard or just a patio?

How many rooms?  Is it contemporary?  Traditional?  What's the outside like?  Wood?  Brick?  Stucco?

What colors are you seeing?

It was interesting reimagining our home.  We made some sweeping changes.

I am slow to unpack because I don't want to be reminded of the things I lost.  But I do have to remind myself that I would lose them one day anyway.  What I kept were reminders.  I didn't have to have fifty things to remind me of one thing.  Instead, one thing was enough.

I don't feel smothered by stuff.  The house is lighter.  I have more options.

Options = freedom.

What kind of options are you thinking about right now?

@just bee, truthfully what I want is all over the place and that is the problem. 

Yes, not feeling smothered by stuff is good. While I am no longer smothered from decluttering so many years now, I still have way too much stuff.  But, my major decluttering is on hold now until I figure out what I am going to do living wise. If I get a bigger place, the stuff that is making me crazy now, wont be a problem and might even come in useful. What is hard now is I dont have a place for a lot things and pulling things out and using them is a chore. 

But yes - options = freedom, and freedom is what I am striving for. 

@aprilskies 

I think a lot of people are right now...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Meaningful May

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

In my quest to make my office more of an office and less of a junkroom, I gave myself an assignment.

I had what is best described as a plastic "crate". Inside that was a leather tote bag filled with greeeting cards, old cards that I received from 2005-2007, wrapping paper, bows, name tags, twine, tape, etc. About 80%-90% of what was in the bag is now in the garbage or recycled.

I kept tape, blank cards and a pen. S/O kept tissue paper, gold cord for wrapping and 3 angels for hanging. I will clean out and fold the tote and store it in my closet for now. I will try to repurpose the crate. If not, it will go into the trash as well, unless S/O can use it (it originally came from him).

@Eager2Learn 

Wow, you made quite a dent!  I find wrapping paper, et al some of the hardest to make decisions about.  Especially when I get a gift with some sort of really neat decoration that I want to keep and reuse.  Except my gift-giving is so limited anymore that I rarely reuse anything.  So it sits in the closet.

I've been trying--very slowly--over the last couple of years to declutter my desk.  Let's just say it's still a work in progress.  

It's a big old thing that I've used as a file cabinet and catch-all for forty years.  It's getting to the point that drawers don't work anymore because they're just flat worn out.  But because it has so many nifty places for 'stuff' and I've used it for so long, it's where I have pretty much most of my paperwork and office supplies.  (I still have unopened boxes of paper clips from the '70s.)  

But I know I will (hopefully) eventually be downsizing to a smaller house and this is just too old and too big to move.  Knowing what a traumatic job it would be to eliminate it, I'm trying to start early and go slowly.

But this is one of the 'problem' areas for me to declutter.  It was fairly easy to eliminate some of the stuff.  Admittedly I don't use a lot of this stuff often, but some of it I do use--just not often, so I can't see getting rid of things I'll need to buy at some point.  Right now my problem is that I have no idea what I'll be replacing the desk with, so I don't know how much I should keep and how much to toss.

So I have the luxury of be able to make choices slowly, and hopefully wisely.🤞🦉

@geezerette 

Desks are very personal.  I purchased a desk in the 80s when I was collecting Asian art.  It's Asian in style: Simple with one drawer.  Pretty minimalist.

I was still in my burl phase, having graduated from a university in Northern California, behind the Redwood Curtain.

The finish on this desk was "burly."  Unfortunately, the burl headboard and antique burl chest that were in the garage perished.

And BH has been sharing this desk and destroying the finish on it.  I will need to have it refinished.  Do I choose a non-burl finish?  A different color?  Still deciding.

Before the fire, the drawer was stuffed.  After the fire, I parted with most of the "very important" papers I'd collected.

We had two other really great desks in another room and those were "let go."

Now those had all sorts of drawers and compartments.  Loved those desks.  BH was not as smitten.

I think you're at the point where you need to try creative visualization.  You have to start visualizing the next chapter.  Where are you?  What do you have around you?

Start picturing yourself in a different environment.  Visualize a typical day.  Design your life.

What are some of the things you would save if you knew a tornado was coming your way?

We all have a tornado coming our way whether it's a actual tornado or not.  What are the most important things right now?

@just bee 

Part of the trouble I'm having is what to do with the stuff I have to keep even though I don't want to.  Paperwork, for example.  

And yes, I have been visualizing and imagining what my life might look like in another venue.  I don't particularly like what I see, so I have to tell myself I'm going to have to make some big decisions about what will be my new priorities for my remaining lifetime.

As I mentioned to @aprilskies, this lovely little pandemic has put up a small speed bump to my imaginings.  But at the same time, it's also made me more aware of what are choices I have and what are not.  That, and keeping in mind my abilities (or lack thereof) as I age and how I would prefer to deal with that reality.  Options tend to get more limited when you get more limited.

One thing that has entered my imaginings more seriously lately is taking on a "roommate".  Relax, she's a female--and it's more of a mother-daughter relationship than what may be running through your creative little head right now. 🐝😈😉😄

On the surface, it makes a lot of sense.  She's getting a divorce, her finances are limited and she hates to live alone.  I have the resources for a decent size house for us, she's younger than me, loves to cook, clean and garden and thinks I'm wonderful.  Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out, but why look a gift horse in the mouth at this point in my life?  

Privacy is the ultimate issue I have.  I'm a loner by nature, but I do realize that if I live long enough, I'm going to need help.  Assisted living and even nursing homes are almost nonexistent in my town, and those few we have leave much to be desired.  I'd much rather be able to stay in my own home, even if it means having help.  I may be better off giving up some of my privacy while I'm still functional to have someone in-house later.  She'd be gone to work five a days week, spends a lot of time with church activities and has a male friend that also takes up her time, so I'd still have a lot of alone time.  

Right now this angle is still a consideration, on the same plane as what color flooring I'd like.  Just mulling the pros and cons around in my head.  At this point, every direction I consider seems to have a con.  I don't like what I'm visualizing.

@geezerette 

The roommate idea isn't that crazy.  I've often thought about what I'd do if BH was suddenly out of the picture.  I thought about housing exchange students, nursing students, older women who had to give up their homes to save some money, a handyman (or woman), or a bunch of schizophrenics who are tired of living in the group homes here that are no better -- and sometimes worse -- than homeless shelters.

How's that for crazy?

Years ago I had a boyfriend tell me that I'd be happy if I never had to leave the house and just had food slid under the door.  And he came across as if he was saying this was a bad thing.

But I do recognize that part of myself that is content to stay inside, hermitized.  It's one reason I have to have a job.  I need a reason to leave the house.  A dog also gives me an excuse to go out.

I could be one of those people who isn't seen by the neighbors for a few weeks and then someone finally calls for a welfare check.  And I'm on the floor or in the tub, past tense and putrid.

Well, that's graphic.  

Yeah, a roommate is not a crazy idea at all.

@just bee 

Another post I could have written myself almost word for word.  Although I have to admit this isn't the reaction I thought you would have.

I've always enjoyed being at home, no matter what that home was like.  My mother never could punish me by confining me to my room--my punishment would be to have to go out!

Never in a million years did I ever think I would even be considering anyone living with me.  I still have grave doubts.  And as @aprilskies says down thread my friend and I will have to have some serious discussions beforehand.

But I do recognize that my reality is different now.  And I want to maintain as many choices as I can.  And part of being able to do that is having to give up other choices.  Again, this is just another case of deciding what our priorities are, or rather what mine are.  I've already made some decisions about my future, and circumstances are making others for me right now.

I'm taking it slow and will just see how things play out for a while.  After the last few months, it's clear that anything can happen.  

But I'm still hoping that I can just keel over while I'm right here and not have to make any decisions about anything.  I hate making decisions!

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Hello All, I hope you are all doing well 

@rnmom - yes, being mindful of eating is tougher than it seems.  Full kudos to losing so much and sticking with it. Keep it up. This my third day of being mindful and I feel better already. I have been walking everyday, some better than others, but consistency is what I am striving for. I wasnt so mindful this morning but I have the whole day to even that out and I just finished a 3 mile walk so I am off to a good start. I will do one later as well.  What else is there to do. I am trying to be outside as much as I can. 

I am really not compacting but this year I did buy a few things and they were all basically duds because they caused me to breakout. So, I am done buying products right now and I really want to get down to the basics. I no longer appreciate having a hoard of products. I rather have a hoard of the things I need. That is not to say I wouldnt buy something I really wanted but I am going to try and use up what I have. It felt great to take out my last shampoo and that only happened because I have also used some up as hand soap. 

@KaySD, yes it will be interesting to see how this puzzle will be put back together and how everyone will react. Interesting times for sure.

@Eager2Learn, that is great with your decluttering. I havent been doing much but will not start slowly. Like @geezerette, I want to be more careful of what I toss because at this point if I need it in the future, there is no need to get rid of it. And at this point, I am not sure what it is all that I need.  

I did bag up 7 skirts. For some I dont know if I will ever be that thin again and for others I think I am over. Looking at you peasant skirt. I also tossed in there a wrist pedometer. It was too hard to figure out and the instructions were useless. I dont like the wrist ones.  I wouldnt even use a pedometer at all but I am in a challenge at work so I need to measure my steps.

@geezerette, I have started looking at houses a couple of days ago. I really want a place that is big enough but not huge, has some privacy but is close enough to the city for convenience but not in the thick of it. Yes, good luck to me. I was looking at some houses and loved the house but then who the heck is going to clean that much house. Not I and I am not hiring a cleaner - for now - or maybe ever. I know you are not moving yet but good luck with decluttering slowly. That is another thing, when I move, I am not just going to move things just because. There has got to be a reason it is coming with me.

@just bee, now that you have been in your home for a while, how do you feel with less stuff?

Anyway, I think I chewed your ears off.  I will say so long for now and will tackle some paperwork that has been piling up.  

@aprilskies 

Refer to my post to @geezerette  regarding creative visualization.

I like your analogy about jigsaw puzzles.  I think it fits.  And it might explain why so many of us have started to do puzzles again.  We're trying to put our lives back together.

Moving into a new space is an opportunity.  You have said that you feel stuck.  Moving into a new space is a good way to get unstuck.  Again, refer to my previous post about creative visualization.

Where do you see yourself?

Start looking for that place.

What do you see in that place?  What's not there?

Is the house near a big park or an outdoor mall where you can walk and explore?

Is there a yard or just a patio?

How many rooms?  Is it contemporary?  Traditional?  What's the outside like?  Wood?  Brick?  Stucco?

What colors are you seeing?

It was interesting reimagining our home.  We made some sweeping changes.

I am slow to unpack because I don't want to be reminded of the things I lost.  But I do have to remind myself that I would lose them one day anyway.  What I kept were reminders.  I didn't have to have fifty things to remind me of one thing.  Instead, one thing was enough.

I don't feel smothered by stuff.  The house is lighter.  I have more options.

Options = freedom.

What kind of options are you thinking about right now?

@just bee, truthfully what I want is all over the place and that is the problem. 

Yes, not feeling smothered by stuff is good. While I am no longer smothered from decluttering so many years now, I still have way too much stuff.  But, my major decluttering is on hold now until I figure out what I am going to do living wise. If I get a bigger place, the stuff that is making me crazy now, wont be a problem and might even come in useful. What is hard now is I dont have a place for a lot things and pulling things out and using them is a chore. 

But yes - options = freedom, and freedom is what I am striving for. 

@aprilskies 

Very true.  But to me too many options can be the opposite.  I come to a dead stop trying to decide on the right option.  Especially if there are just small differences between the choices.  

It's good that you're thinking about your living arrangements at this point in your life.  If you want or need a change, now is the time to do it.  While you're still working and have the income and are young enough to set your new place up the way you want.  It's much easier when you have that option, rather than getting to a point in life where you have no choice and someone else is making that decision for you.

Honored Contributor

I have several bar soaps that I've been wanting to use up, but they tend to be drying so I've waiting until now that the weather is warming up to bring them out.  I put one at one sink and one in the shower.

I haven't used bar soaps in years and had forgotten what a pain they are!  All the mushy mess!  Yuck.  

I had been thinking maybe I'd start using bar soaps instead of the liquids, but I highly doubt I'll be getting any more of them.  Although I have several so I'll be using these up for quite a while. 🙁

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

In my quest to make my office more of an office and less of a junkroom, I gave myself an assignment.

I had what is best described as a plastic "crate". Inside that was a leather tote bag filled with greeeting cards, old cards that I received from 2005-2007, wrapping paper, bows, name tags, twine, tape, etc. About 80%-90% of what was in the bag is now in the garbage or recycled.

I kept tape, blank cards and a pen. S/O kept tissue paper, gold cord for wrapping and 3 angels for hanging. I will clean out and fold the tote and store it in my closet for now. I will try to repurpose the crate. If not, it will go into the trash as well, unless S/O can use it (it originally came from him).

@Eager2Learn 

Wow, you made quite a dent!  I find wrapping paper, et al some of the hardest to make decisions about.  Especially when I get a gift with some sort of really neat decoration that I want to keep and reuse.  Except my gift-giving is so limited anymore that I rarely reuse anything.  So it sits in the closet.

I've been trying--very slowly--over the last couple of years to declutter my desk.  Let's just say it's still a work in progress.  

It's a big old thing that I've used as a file cabinet and catch-all for forty years.  It's getting to the point that drawers don't work anymore because they're just flat worn out.  But because it has so many nifty places for 'stuff' and I've used it for so long, it's where I have pretty much most of my paperwork and office supplies.  (I still have unopened boxes of paper clips from the '70s.)  

But I know I will (hopefully) eventually be downsizing to a smaller house and this is just too old and too big to move.  Knowing what a traumatic job it would be to eliminate it, I'm trying to start early and go slowly.

But this is one of the 'problem' areas for me to declutter.  It was fairly easy to eliminate some of the stuff.  Admittedly I don't use a lot of this stuff often, but some of it I do use--just not often, so I can't see getting rid of things I'll need to buy at some point.  Right now my problem is that I have no idea what I'll be replacing the desk with, so I don't know how much I should keep and how much to toss.

@geezerette 

Desks are very personal.  I purchased a desk in the 80s when I was collecting Asian art.  It's Asian in style: Simple with one drawer.  Pretty minimalist.

I was still in my burl phase, having graduated from a university in Northern California, behind the Redwood Curtain.

The finish on this desk was "burly."  Unfortunately, the burl headboard and antique burl chest that were in the garage perished.

And BH has been sharing this desk and destroying the finish on it.  I will need to have it refinished.  Do I choose a non-burl finish?  A different color?  Still deciding.

Before the fire, the drawer was stuffed.  After the fire, I parted with most of the "very important" papers I'd collected.

Now those had all sorts of drawers and compartments.  Loved those desks.  BH was not as smitten.

I think you're at the point where you need to try creative visualization.  You have to start visualizing the next chapter.  Where are you?  What do you have around you?

Start picturing yourself in a different environment.  Visualize a typical day.  Design your life.

What are some of the things you would save if you knew a tornado was coming your way?

We all have a tornado coming our way whether it's a actual tornado or not.  What are the most important things right now?

@just bee 

Part of the trouble I'm having is what to do with the stuff I have to keep even though I don't want to.  Paperwork, for example.  

And yes, I have been visualizing and imagining what my life might look like in another venue.  I don't particularly like what I see, so I have to tell myself I'm going to have to make some big decisions about what will be my new priorities for my remaining lifetime.

As I mentioned to @aprilskies, this lovely little pandemic has put up a small speed bump to my imaginings.  But at the same time, it's also made me more aware of what are choices I have and what are not.  That, and keeping in mind my abilities (or lack thereof) as I age and how I would prefer to deal with that reality.  Options tend to get more limited when you get more limited.

One thing that has entered my imaginings more seriously lately is taking on a "roommate".  Relax, she's a female--and it's more of a mother-daughter relationship than what may be running through your creative little head right now. 🐝😈😉😄

On the surface, it makes a lot of sense.  She's getting a divorce, her finances are limited and she hates to live alone.  I have the resources for a decent size house for us, she's younger than me, loves to cook, clean and garden and thinks I'm wonderful.  Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out, but why look a gift horse in the mouth at this point in my life?  

Privacy is the ultimate issue I have.  I'm a loner by nature, but I do realize that if I live long enough, I'm going to need help.  Assisted living and even nursing homes are almost nonexistent in my town, and those few we have leave much to be desired.  I'd much rather be able to stay in my own home, even if it means having help.  I may be better off giving up some of my privacy while I'm still functional to have someone in-house later.  She'd be gone to work five a days week, spends a lot of time with church activities and has a male friend that also takes up her time, so I'd still have a lot of alone time.  

Right now this angle is still a consideration, on the same plane as what color flooring I'd like.  Just mulling the pros and cons around in my head.  At this point, every direction I consider seems to have a con.  I don't like what I'm visualizing.

@geezerette 

The roommate idea isn't that crazy.  I've often thought about what I'd do if BH was suddenly out of the picture.  I thought about housing exchange students, nursing students, older women who had to give up their homes to save some money, a handyman (or woman), or a bunch of schizophrenics who are tired of living in the group homes here that are no better -- and sometimes worse -- than homeless shelters.

How's that for crazy?

Years ago I had a boyfriend tell me that I'd be happy if I never had to leave the house and just had food slid under the door.  And he came across as if he was saying this was a bad thing.

But I do recognize that part of myself that is content to stay inside, hermitized.  It's one reason I have to have a job.  I need a reason to leave the house.  A dog also gives me an excuse to go out.

I could be one of those people who isn't seen by the neighbors for a few weeks and then someone finally calls for a welfare check.  And I'm on the floor or in the tub, past tense and putrid.

Well, that's graphic.  

@just bee 

Another post I could have written myself almost word for word.  Although I have to admit this isn't the reaction I thought you would have.

I've always enjoyed being at home, no matter what that home was like.  My mother never could punish me by confining me to my room--my punishment would be to have to go out!

Never in a million years did I ever think I would even be considering anyone living with me.  I still have grave doubts.  And as @aprilskies says down thread my friend and I will have to have some serious discussions beforehand.

But I do recognize that my reality is different now.  And I want to maintain as many choices as I can.  And part of being able to do that is having to give up other choices.  Again, this is just another case of deciding what our priorities are, or rather what mine are.  I've already made some decisions about my future, and circumstances are making others for me right now.

I'm taking it slow and will just see how things play out for a while.  After the last few months, it's clear that anything can happen.  

But I'm still hoping that I can just keel over while I'm right here and not have to make any decisions about anything.  I hate making decisions!

@geezerette 

I'm not decisive, either.  When I finally make a decision I second-guess it to death.

Still, I am able to make big decisions occasionally.  I don't know what the difference is.  Maybe it's how the planets are aligned or something.  Or maybe it's because no one else is making the decision and someone has to.

It's not bad having another person in the house.  Like the other day when a lizard was running around the kitchen.  It was easier to capture with two people.

I won't discuss how many critters have found their way into the house since the rebuild.  Wasn't a problem before, so we suspect there's a hole somewhere.

Here's one for you.  We bought a new refrigerator.  It was installed.  As I've posted previously, somehow the doors were dented after installation.  The contractor is responsible.

The manufacturer can replace the dented doors.

Now that fridge is practically half-price at Home Depot and costs less than the replacement doors.

Do we cancel the replacements and buy a new fridge, then put the dented one in the garage to hold... well, Amstel Light?

Don't really want a second fridge when a freezer would make more sense.

This is the kind of cr@p that makes a person crazy.  And it's the kind that makes another's opinion valuable.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I have several bar soaps that I've been wanting to use up, but they tend to be drying so I've waiting until now that the weather is warming up to bring them out.  I put one at one sink and one in the shower.

I haven't used bar soaps in years and had forgotten what a pain they are!  All the mushy mess!  Yuck.  

I had been thinking maybe I'd start using bar soaps instead of the liquids, but I highly doubt I'll be getting any more of them.  Although I have several so I'll be using these up for quite a while. 🙁

@geezerette 

Good timing on that post.  I'm always tempted to return to bar soap.  Liquid soaps are mostly water -- what a waste.

But I can't tell you how many bar soaps I had, didn't use and ended up tossing after the fire.

I'll stick with liquid soap even though it's a waste of plastic.  But I think we will end up auditioning a big bottle of Dr. Bronner's to refill all our existing pump bottles at the sinks.

I bought that Bronner's toothpaste and was convinced it was overpriced and probably ineffective, but it seems to be doing a very good job of whitening my teeth.  I don't get it.  I'd pretty much given up on whiter teeth after using Crest and Colgate products that were no match for sturdy black tea and Italian reds.

I'll keep using it and when I'm at the end of the tube I'll decide if I want to stick with it.  I do like the anise flavor.  Subtle.

Honored Contributor

I'm taking a break from pulling foxtails.  This is a full-time job.

I think the crape myrtle is showing signs of survival.  Fingers crossed.  I need all the plants I can get.  A sad bumblebee was in the yard, desperately searching for a blossom.

A friend of ours mentioned Total Wine might be doing curbside.  I may have to investigate.  As far as I know, the liquor stores are still closed but there is absolutely no reason they can't do curbside.

Retail establishments are really struggling with this.  Some are actually thriving on curbside and delivery while others could just not master the choreography and are on the verge of failing permanently.

We seemed to have lost WGD's new brush.  I figure it will turn up right after we replace it, so we went to the store where we purchased it.  They were doing curbside.  But not well.  Instructions on their door were to call the store.  We did.  While standing outside the store.  The line was busy.  For a long time.  Then it wasn't.  But no one answered.  We left.

Businesses can't survive like this.

Back to the weeds.

Honored Contributor

I'm avoiding the foxtails.

Anyway, I think there is some anti-business sentiment out there and some don't really care if businesses fold.

Here's something to ponder.

Twenty-five years ago when we bought this house, we weren't thinking.  We have a lot of windows.  So many windows.  The contractor managed to save our 25 year-old windows so we have a new house with old windows.  But that's neither here nor there.

We bought mini-blinds 25 years ago to cover all the windows.  If memory serves, the total cost was around a thousand bucks.

Fast forward 25 years.

We paid $4312.00 for new blinds.

The profit margin for the company? 54.6%.

Profit = $2189.50.

How do we know this?  Our installer left all his paperwork behind.  Paperwork we shouldn't have seen.  Dumb_ss.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

How's that for crazy?

Well, that's graphic.  

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I'm not decisive, either.  When I finally make a decision I second-guess it to death.

Still, I am able to make big decisions occasionally.  I don't know what the difference is.  Maybe it's how the planets are aligned or something.  Or maybe it's because no one else is making the decision and someone has to.

It's not bad having another person in the house.  Like the other day when a lizard was running around the kitchen.  It was easier to capture with two people.

I won't discuss how many critters have found their way into the house since the rebuild.  Wasn't a problem before, so we suspect there's a hole somewhere.

Here's one for you.  We bought a new refrigerator.  It was installed.  As I've posted previously, somehow the doors were dented after installation.  The contractor is responsible.

The manufacturer can replace the dented doors.

Now that fridge is practically half-price at Home Depot and costs less than the replacement doors.

Do we cancel the replacements and buy a new fridge, then put the dented one in the garage to hold... well, Amstel Light?

Don't really want a second fridge when a freezer would make more sense.

This is the kind of cr@p that makes a person crazy.  And it's the kind that makes another's opinion valuable.

@just bee 

My first thought is always, "What's cheapest?"  If your contractor is responsible though, this may be a moot point.  Alternatively, if the doors still function properly and you can live with the dents, can you get a decent cash settlement from the contractor?  Just live with the frig as is and pocket some extra money until you need a new refrigerator.

My second thought is always, "What's easiest?"  Because I'm lazy.

We had a somewhat similar situation when we bought the frig I have now.  When it arrived, it looked fine.  But after a couple of days, frost was continuing to build up in the freezer.  The freezer door wouldn't seal.  Lowe's wanted to swap out a new door for one they had on a similar frig that was in stock.  The OG went round and round insisting that we had paid for a new refrigerator and that's what he wanted: a new refrigerator.  It took a few weeks to get it ordered and delivered, but we did end up with a whole new refrigerator.

I think my main question would be, what if the new doors don't function properly?  Who is responsible, the contractor or the manufacturer? And would it affect your warranty at all?

And if you get a new refrigerator, there's no guarantee it won't have something wrong with it too.  Then you're still hassling with somebody about a refrigerator for who knows how long.

See, I told you I hate making decisions.  🤯

You're right.  Sometimes it's nice to have someone else around.  Have BH decide.😉

Honored Contributor

DIY Face Mask Tutorial With Kay