Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Meaningful May

@Eager2Learn wrote:

I started a new project.

The first item I pulled out of my first "who knows what" box was Suze Orman's Protection Portfolio. This was purchased in March of 2003! I doubt that I'll be using the discs to print out documents. But there are 10 folders with checklists of documents to keep at the ready. Some I would never have thought of. 

Soooo, this will be my Very Important Paper Portfolio (or as we refer to it "the green box") Smiley Happy. It will be kept in an obvious place, in case of an emergency such as fire, etc. Exit plan will probably be: rouse SO, leash Cinnamon, grab purse, grab porfolio, get the car out of the garage, call 911. 

@just bee Since you've experienced a fire, is there anything you would add to the exit plan?

@Eager2Learn 

Get organized before the fire ever happens.

I had most of my "important" paperwork in a wall unit that BH hated and had started to disassemble.  There were drawers full of my paperwork stacked on the floor.

I had all the important photos consolidated in an antique chest in the garage -- the first thing to burn.  No time to get the car out of the garage -- although that was my first instinct.  The garage was burning and there was no way to save anything.

It's a different situation.  The fire was mostly in the garage and over the house.  The soot and water was what damaged most of the contents.

When BH realized the garage was burning, we exited through the back door with only the dog.  Our backyard gates were locked and we had to crawl over them.  I fell and BH wrecked his elbow.

We left the house without our wallets, identification -- nothing but the dog and BH's cell phone.  We had been cooking and the stove was still on.

When we were allowed back into the house with the firefighters to see the damage we had a few minutes to grab some items.  I grabbed my scrubs and stacks of Alegrias.  Anything I needed for work.  My wallet, keys, phone, peanut butter, tea, toiletries, dog stuff, some clothes.  We moved my jewelry to the neighbor's garage -- the same neighbor who was just victimized.

BH grabbed some clothes, his wallet and maybe some papers.  He saved the computers and we got them to the hotel.

It's all a blur.  I'm still thinking about all the trips to the house over a month's time, pulling out what we wanted to save.  Plastic can't be saved supposedly, yet we did save some plastic.  Unglazed pottery and baskets can't be saved.  Supposedly.  Upholstery and stuffing in furniture.  Particle board. Supposedly.

I was still thinking about particular books yesterday that I wished I had saved.

Really, the only advice I have is to have as little as possible and have it inventoried before you have a disaster.  Our neighbor can't remember what he had in his truck -- and he's amazed, as he's remembering, how much was actually in there.

We're still remembering things that were destroyed in our garage.  Just keep important papers together, photographs -- anything that can be grabbed when you only have a few minutes.

I grabbed tea, peanut butter, trail mix and toiletries, but all those items were contaminated by the soot and had to be tossed.

We grabbed the most important thing: The dog.

Oh -- and you might want to call 911 first.  My first instinct was to get my car out of the garage so it wouldn't explode.  But there was no way to get anywhere near it.

All my Suze Orman books are in landfill now.

But a plan is good.  We didn't have any plan at all.  And if the fire had happened a few hours later when we were asleep, we wouldn't have needed one anyway.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Aaaaarrrggghhh!

Watched the criminals from a different camera angle and guess what?

They were wearing face masks -- and gloves.  How convenient.

#$%@&!

@just bee 

But were they "social distancing"?  

@geezerette 

They were not. Woman Mad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Today is going to be a day of organizing. I havent gotten started yet but I have hope I will. Since I will be working from home for a while, I need to get things set up for convenience and functionality. That will be no easy feat but I have to start somewhere. 

This morning I figured I would start in my walk in closet. I went, I saw, I turned around and walked out.  My mind said later. Ha. 

I didnt even venture out for a walk today. I think I will do that right after lunch. I have been walking pretty regularly but the last couple of days, I just didnt care to. My mind said go, my body wasnt having it.  Even today I am not feeling really enthusiastic, but, I will force myself. 

@aprilskies 

I keep hearing that those who survive the virus will have PTSD.

Uh, how 'bout the rest of us?  How about the damage that's being done to those who haven't contracted the virus?

Not a lot of motivation right now, but I did get out yesterday -- on Memorial Day -- to vote.

Respected Contributor

WOw, I feel I have missed this whole month! Hope you are all hanging strong this month.

My mom fell and broke her leg in two places. We ran her to the ER. She followed up with surgery. Everything went fine. Problem is she has to have rehabilitation.
Finding a place to take her in has been very hard with this Virus.

I wish I had better news😔

I will be back next month...
Hang in there everybody!
Take care and hang loose If you can!☺
Respected Contributor

PS, it really is a CRAZY world! Will it ever stop spinning? I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes.....
Upbeat, aren't I? Tomorrow is another day... I know, I know... I will come back when I return to normal.

Scratch that... I have never been normal.😳

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

I started a new project.

The first item I pulled out of my first "who knows what" box was Suze Orman's Protection Portfolio. This was purchased in March of 2003! I doubt that I'll be using the discs to print out documents. But there are 10 folders with checklists of documents to keep at the ready. Some I would never have thought of. 

Soooo, this will be my Very Important Paper Portfolio (or as we refer to it "the green box") Smiley Happy. It will be kept in an obvious place, in case of an emergency such as fire, etc. Exit plan will probably be: rouse SO, leash Cinnamon, grab purse, grab porfolio, get the car out of the garage, call 911. 

@just bee Since you've experienced a fire, is there anything you would add to the exit plan?

@Eager2Learn 

Get organized before the fire ever happens.

I had most of my "important" paperwork in a wall unit that BH hated and had started to disassemble.  There were drawers full of my paperwork stacked on the floor.

I had all the important photos consolidated in an antique chest in the garage -- the first thing to burn.  No time to get the car out of the garage -- although that was my first instinct.  The garage was burning and there was no way to save anything.

It's a different situation.  The fire was mostly in the garage and over the house.  The soot and water was what damaged most of the contents.

When BH realized the garage was burning, we exited through the back door with only the dog.  Our backyard gates were locked and we had to crawl over them.  I fell and BH wrecked his elbow.

We left the house without our wallets, identification -- nothing but the dog and BH's cell phone.  We had been cooking and the stove was still on.

When we were allowed back into the house with the firefighters to see the damage we had a few minutes to grab some items.  I grabbed my scrubs and stacks of Alegrias.  Anything I needed for work.  My wallet, keys, phone, peanut butter, tea, toiletries, dog stuff, some clothes.  We moved my jewelry to the neighbor's garage -- the same neighbor who was just victimized.

BH grabbed some clothes, his wallet and maybe some papers.  He saved the computers and we got them to the hotel.

It's all a blur.  I'm still thinking about all the trips to the house over a month's time, pulling out what we wanted to save.  Plastic can't be saved supposedly, yet we did save some plastic.  Unglazed pottery and baskets can't be saved.  Supposedly.  Upholstery and stuffing in furniture.  Particle board. Supposedly.

I was still thinking about particular books yesterday that I wished I had saved.

Really, the only advice I have is to have as little as possible and have it inventoried before you have a disaster.  Our neighbor can't remember what he had in his truck -- and he's amazed, as he's remembering, how much was actually in there.

We're still remembering things that were destroyed in our garage.  Just keep important papers together, photographs -- anything that can be grabbed when you only have a few minutes.

I grabbed tea, peanut butter, trail mix and toiletries, but all those items were contaminated by the soot and had to be tossed.

We grabbed the most important thing: The dog.

Oh -- and you might want to call 911 first.  My first instinct was to get my car out of the garage so it wouldn't explode.  But there was no way to get anywhere near it.

All my Suze Orman books are in landfill now.

But a plan is good.  We didn't have any plan at all.  And if the fire had happened a few hours later when we were asleep, we wouldn't have needed one anyway.

@just bee Thanks for all the info.

The back gate is where I've had to request on more than one occasion that SO not lock it. He had a padlock on it that needs a key! (We'd been having a discussion about this since last summer.) I've had to explain it this way: if someone breaks in the front door, in the middle of the night, I'll be running out the back door in my nightie. How will I get out of the yard in a hurry if the gate is padlocked? ETA: we've got a 6' cedar wood fence, I know I'd never be able to get over that. I think he finally saw my point and left the gate unlocked.

And yes, that would be my reasoning also with getting the car out, to minimize damage.

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
WOw, I feel I have missed this whole month! Hope you are all hanging strong this month.

My mom fell and broke her leg in two places. We ran her to the ER. She followed up with surgery. Everything went fine. Problem is she has to have rehabilitation.

Hang in there everybody!

@Brisky 

Oh, man!  What a lousy situation to be in.  I hope she's doing okay having to stay in the hospital.  I would think that there should be a patient coordinator affiliated with the hospital that should be able to help you find a rehabilitation place.

I know that our state has a lot more tests now and even has offered a few pop-up testing spots that will test for Covid without an appointment, referral or even without symptoms.  Maybe if your mother could be tested before admission, that would help someone to agree to accept her.

Geez, you and @rnmom and @just bee need a few more things to go wrong in your lives!  NOT!!!

Thanks for the update.  Please take care yourself--you must be exhausted and frustrated.

❤️

Honored Contributor

Another prime example of the expediency and efficiency of your Federal Government:

Today I received a letter telling me that I am receiving an economic impact payment---about a month after I deposited the check.

Your tax dollars at work.🤨😂

(I hate getting letters from the Treasury Department.  It always makes me nervous.)😬

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:

Hang in there everybody!

@Brisky 

I wish you had better news, too! Heart

At least she didn't break a hip.  And this isn't the best time to be in an ER or rehab facility.  I don't even want to get into what happened at a facility here.  They moved all the residents out to make room for COVID patients.  Apparently they get paid more for them.

Will you be able to visit her when she's in the facility?

Keep us posted. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Another prime example of the expediency and efficiency of your Federal Government:

Today I received a letter telling me that I am receiving an economic impact payment---about a month after I deposited the check.

Your tax dollars at work.🤨😂

(I hate getting letters from the Treasury Department.  It always makes me nervous.)😬

@geezerette 

I think I'm the only person I know who hasn't received a check.  I don't even have the letter!