Re: ComPact 2020 – Meaningful May

@just bee 

I hope you're just busy and not sick...😷😳🤒🤞

Valued Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

It ain't over 'till it's over.

I just found 19 Reader's Digests that were given to SO to bring home to me. They're from 2017-2019. They were hiding on my bookshelf in plain sight. I never even looked at one of them. They will be donated as well. 

Grand total of books & magazines (unless I find more):

Tossed: 10

SO kept: 5

I kept: 27

Donation:162

That's an 84% reduction! Woo Hoo! Smiley Happy

@Eager2Learn -That is awesome! It will feel so good to get that much volume/weight out of your house. Have you found out yet when you will be able to donate them?

They will eventually make their way (via a volunteer from church) to the Kairos Prison Ministry's libraries. But we have no idea when volunteers will be allowed back in.

You've been working very hard, please take some time to rest. And don't forget, as bad as it was, it could have been worse.

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

O/T: the rat problem

I didn't receive any response at all from Animal Control, so then I contacted our pest defense company. They couldn't do anything since the rats were outside. They referred me to a wildlife company. They wanted me to sign up for monthly service to keep rats poisoned out. They said their poison even kills virus' like Covid!! Yeah, I really believe that. Then they said they could do a one time removal for $489. Yes, that's right, $489. SO said no, he'd do it a lot cheaper.

We did not want these rats getting into the house and reluctantly decided their fate. SO bought some poison and set it by the nest yesterday. Today, he went to look. The bait is untouched and the rats are gone! Thank God we didn't have to kill them. The only thing left in the nest are some acorn remains and a tiny frog.

SO is going to tape the two holes in the pedestal were the rat got in. 

I'm so relieved! I didn't want to see the poor things suffer. Woo Hoo! Smiley Happy

@Eager2Learn 

Me, too! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@just bee Fingers crossed for you, my dear.

@KaySD 

Still haven't heard anything.  But then I haven't heard what we're supposed to do when we get a patient who's COVID positive...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee - Any news on your co-worker who was sick?

How are things going in the new house? Are you still continuing to unpack? Anything fun we need to know about?

@rnmom 

Nope!

I worked an extra shift and slept through yesterday so all I have is today and tomorrow before I go back to work.

And today was spent watching video from our new security system.  Last night a car pulled into our cul-de-sac and two soulless scumbags got into our neighbor's truck and stole all his work tools, clothes and boots.

I left work on Saturday morning annoyed enough by the caliber of criminal the police bring us every night.  Can't arrest people anymore?  Can't take them to jail?  What -- arson and assault aren't criminal behaviors anymore?  So you bring violent, out-of-control criminals to us instead?

Gee, thanks.

Then I have to come home and watch video of my neighbors being victimized?

It's the freakin' wild west.

The police can come over and watch our video.  Maybe they'll go after these creeps and cite them.  Not because they cleaned out our neighbor's truck but because they weren't wearing face masks when they did it.

Can you tell I'm fed up?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I'm just sick and tired.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

I haven't been decluttering much lately at all because I just don't feel like we have a lot left to get rid of. But I might have to start looking at things again when time permits. It has definitely given me something to think about.

@rnmom, Anytime, I hear about hurricanes and flooding they bring and the damage, it always makes me start thinking about getting rid of things. It is not worth the amount of work it takes to clear and clean things out. Just think if your brother-in-law wasnt a pack rat.  The mess would of be easier to deal with. However, it is easier said than done. After Hurricane Sandy I thought I would get a lot of things in order, well they are still on my to do list. I was just lucky my immediate area wasnt affected, but we will always luck out?

However, this whole situation going on now is really making think about what I would like to get done. Life is just too short to always worry about stuff.

You guys need a nice cold beer after all that work that you have been doing.  I am glad your sister and family are okay.  The work ahead for them exhausts me just thinking about it.  The best to them. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I'm just sick and tired.

@just bee, you and me both.  

I am beyond disgusted and just trying to keep the faith. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette - I know my sister has been after my brother in law to get rid of a bunch of that stuff for a long time now and he's been resistant. I know a lot of the stuff they've had for years and a lot of it they weren't actively using, but like everyone, they had the space to store it, so they did. I'm sure that they will replace a lot of the furniture, etc but a lot of it will not get replaced.

As for my hubby, I don't know. He did comment on how much stuff my brother in law had but I don't think that he feels like he himself has a lot. The stuff that he keeps is all "useful". And a lot of it is, he does re-use, upcycle a lot of stuff which saves us some money, but he has a lot of junk I'd like to toss too. It's always easier to be critical of someone else's hobbies and stuff than your own. 

And it is definitely harder to get rid of stuff with the kids here. So much of what we have is for them. It will be so much easier when it's back to just the two of us. That won't be for quite a few years yet though. 

Respected Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

It ain't over 'till it's over.

I just found 19 Reader's Digests that were given to SO to bring home to me. They're from 2017-2019. They were hiding on my bookshelf in plain sight. I never even looked at one of them. They will be donated as well. 

Grand total of books & magazines (unless I find more):

Tossed: 10

SO kept: 5

I kept: 27

Donation:162

That's an 84% reduction! Woo Hoo! Smiley Happy

@Eager2Learn -That is awesome! It will feel so good to get that much volume/weight out of your house. Have you found out yet when you will be able to donate them?

They will eventually make their way (via a volunteer from church) to the Kairos Prison Ministry's libraries. But we have no idea when volunteers will be allowed back in.

You've been working very hard, please take some time to rest. And don't forget, as bad as it was, it could have been worse.

@Eager2Learn - Oh yes, it could always be worse. There are many, many people who are completely homeless right now, they're homes are totally destroyed. They are thankful that it was only in the basement.