Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jettison January

Okay, here's one more and then I'm done.

This is from an online Mallika Chopra course on living with INTENT.

• Learn how to use the I.N.T.E.N.T. action plan (Incubate, Notice, Trust, Express, Nurture, and Take Action) to tap into your intuition, fulfill your desires, and create the life of your dreams.

• Let go of guilt about not “doing enough” and focus on what’s truly important to you.

• Release stress and emotional pain – and make space for clarity and well-being.

• Expand your awareness of your eating habits and your body’s signals so that you can make more conscious choices to support your health and happiness.

• Experience meditation as a powerful tool for physical, emotional, and spiritual transformation and learn how to share this practice with your family.

• Become inspired to embrace your purpose and journey, no matter how large or small it may feel.

• Embrace the blessing of uncertainty and find the courage to carve out a different path.

• Learn practices for cultivating gratitude and self-compassion, which are both essential to living with intent.

• Discover simple ways to create healthy, loving relationships with your family and the world beyond.

• Develop the ability to observe yourself without judgment and make conscious choices to fulfill your highest potential.

• Connect to the happiness that is always within you – and enjoy more play, fun, and lightheartedness in your daily life.

• Session 1: Intent – this session will give you a foundational understanding of the power of intention and how to connect with your true intents, which are the authentic expression of your deepest longings and desires. You'll discover the difference between egoic intents and  non-egoic intents and how you can use micro intents to experience more peace, joy, and fulfillment every day.

• Session 2: Incubate – learn how to nurture your intentions. We’ll guide you to develop a meditation practice that will bring you to a deeper level of awareness and help you experience greater openness and receptivity.

• Session 3: Notice – discover how to pay attention to your internal dialogue and the messages of your body, as well as the clues, gifts, and opportunities the universe is sending you. Tuning into all of these messages will guide you in the direction of your true path and the fulfillment of your intents.

• Session 4: Trust – having confidence in your intuition and trusting that the universe is supporting your journey is one of the keys to living a spiritually fulfilled life. You’ll begin to trust your relationship with the universe through the practical wisdom in this session.

• Session 5: Express – in this session, Mallika will show you how to put your intentions out into the universe by writing them down, saying them out loud, and by sharing them with others.

• Session 6: Nurture – taking care of ourselves and supporting each other on our journey creates the loving atmosphere that allow positive intentions to thrive. Give yourself permission to try and fail, and to let go of the guilt that has been holding you back. 

• Session 7: Take Action – and now for more fun! You’ll be guided in how to take practical steps to fulfill your intentions and to move forward with confidence in the direction of your dreams.
~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Okay, one more thing.

If you review all the text I've posted it may sound like psychobabble and claptrap.

But look for the repetition.  The nuggets that keep coming up in each article.  Key points.

There's a theme here.

You just have to find your theme.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Okay, another one more thing.

BH will find something and share it with me because he knows I'll appreciate it.

Here's one:

There is a horse.  The horse says: "I don't think" and disappears.

This is a reference to the Descartes quote, "I think, therefore I am."

But if I had explained that earlier, it would have been putting Descartes before the horse.

Valued Contributor

This week I purchased needs, not wants. Food, milk, Kleenex and a blanket for SO's bed. (No additions to my stash/inventory).

I tossed an old, worn out, hand me down sweatshirt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, one more and THEN I'm done.  Clearly I've consumed too much caffeine this morning.

Here's a list of things in an online declutter article:

1. DVDs you never watch

Donate them to your local charity or thrift store.

2. Socks without a match

Find creative ways to use old socks or toss them out.

3. Take-out ketchup and soy sauce packets

You really don’t need this in your house.

4. Food-storage containers without a lid

Recycle them accordingly.

5. Dried-out markers, pens, etc.

This self-explanatory.

6. Clothing that is too big, too small, or damaged

Donate lightly worn clothing to a local charity or thrift store. Alternatively, you can sell them at a garage sale or through a local clothing group.

7. Chipped plates, mugs or cups

No explanation needed.

8. Expired coupons

Most stores don’t accept expired coupons.

9. Old receipts for items that can no longer be exchanged or returned

Most stores don’t accept returns or exchanges outside of their policy period.

10. Baking supplies that you’ll never use

Those three cupcake holders left over from Halloween or that Thai seasoning that has been sitting in your cupboard forever has got to go.

11. Books that you’ll never re-read

Donate them to a local charity or thrift store. Alternatively, you can sell them to a used book store.

12. Magazines

If you need some fashion or hairstyle inspiration, check Pinterest.

13. Old papers and documents

Recycle papers that you no longer need. If something is important, scan and save an electronic copy.

14. Old paint

If it’s been a few years since you last painted, chances are the paint on your walls have dulled slightly and the paint in the can is no longer an exact match.

15. Expired medication

Medication becomes less potent after its expiration date. While it’s generally okay to take expired medication, you may not be getting the required dose for certain illnesses, so it’s best to dispose of these drugs at your local pharmacy.

16. Power cords

Chances are you may be keeping power cords for devices you no longer use. Dispose of any duplicate power cords you don’t use and keep only the ones for the current gadgets in your house.

17. Greeting cards

I know these are sentimental, but generally speaking they are not meant to be kept, framed on a wall or cherished for years to come. They are a fleeting message from a loved one that is enjoyed for that specific occasion. You are not throwing their love away by throwing out a greeting card they picked out for you.

18. Expired makeup

Throw out makeup that you never use or makeup that has gone bad.

19. Extra coat hangers

If you have unused coat hangers taking up space in your closet, it’s time to throw them out.  Save the best ones for clothing you already have and get rid of the ones that aren’t being used. Wire hangers, I’m talking to you!

20. Unfinished projects

That fabric sitting in the closet waiting to reupholster a chair, or that scrap piece of furniture you bought two years ago which you wanted to fix up like new someday. If you really want to finish these projects, set a date that week to complete them – otherwise throw it out.

21. Perfumes and colognes

Maybe a family member or an ex bought you a scent that you don’t care for and it’s sitting in your room 99% full. It’s time to throw those fragrances out or give them to someone who wants them.

22. Jewelry

Time to get rid of any jewelry that you no longer wear or is broken. Chances are these pieces are dated and you might be able to exchange them for cash.

23. Expired food

The “best before date” is more of a guideline than a rule. But if you have food sitting in your fridge or cupboard that smells off or is beginning to rot, that’s a good indication to throw it out.

24. Memorabilia

I admit that I am sucker for keeping old memorabilia. However, I keep an old shoebox to hold items that are important to me, such as my first concert ticket, or travel keepsakes. My rule is simple: if it doesn’t fit inside the box, throw it away.

25. Notebooks

If you have notebooks filled with notes from classes or meetings that you no longer refer to, it’s time to recycle them.

26. Old or unused electronics

Do you have old cell phones, appliances, or dated technology that you no longer use? Try selling them online or find a trade-in program for old electronics.

27. Junk drawer

We all have a drawer where we keep odds and ends like extra buttons or old batteries. Chances are we never open this drawer and the items end up collecting dust. Take 10 seconds to glance it over and throw out any unnecessary items.

28. Sad, worn out bras and underwear

You know which ones I’m talking about. Don’t ask questions. It’s time to throw them away.

29. Worn out shoes or shoes you never wear

Donate shoes that are still in decent condition to a local charity or thrift store. Alternatively, you can sell them.

30. Old wallets, belts, etc

We all have old wallets, coin purses, belts, or accessories sitting around that we no longer use. Instead of letting them take up space, donate them to a local charity or thrift store.

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

This week I purchased needs, not wants. Food, milk, Kleenex and a blanket for SO's bed. (No additions to my stash/inventory).

@Eager2Learn 

I tossed out, as I said, my old pair of New Balance shoes.

Speaking of shoes... hint, hint...

Sounds like you need a pair that will protect your feet now that you're out walking with your foster friend!

Again, I think that's so wonderful.  And so brave.  I think about fostering an animal after WGD assumes room temperature, but I don't have the courage.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to part with a fostered pet when it's time to give it to someone else.

Who are you fostering? 

Valued Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

Sounds like you need a pair that will protect your feet now that you're out walking with your foster friend!

Again, I think that's so wonderful.  And so brave.  I think about fostering an animal after WGD assumes room temperature, but I don't have the courage.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to part with a fostered pet when it's time to give it to someone else.

Who are you fostering? 

I'm going to try a pair of more pliable shoes this AM. If there's no improvement, I may have to invest in a pair.

We are fostering an approximately 6 year old spayed dog, who had been found in a park, hungry and thirsty, no chip. She had previously been in an auto accident and had quite a bit of damage to her head (she lost one eye as well).

She was supposed to be about 30-35 lbs, but weighed in at 46. She's a shepard mix (with terrier perhaps)?  And the vet said for her size she should weigh in the low 30s. So now she's on a diet and exercise program. Smiley Happy

She's very hand shy and timid, especially around men but she's coming along. She's very good in the house. Can you tell I love her already?

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

Who are you fostering? 

I'm going to try a pair of more pliable shoes this AM. If there's no improvement, I may have to invest in a pair.

We are fostering an approximately 6 year old spayed dog, who had been found in a park, hungry and thirsty, no chip. She had previously been in an auto accident and had quite a bit of damage to her head (she lost one eye as well).

She was supposed to be about 30-35 lbs, but weighed in at 46. She's a shepard mix (with terrier perhaps)?  And the vet said for her size she should weigh in the low 30s. So now she's on a diet and exercise program. Smiley Happy

She's very hand shy and timid, especially around men but she's coming along. She's very good in the house. Can you tell I love her already?

@Eager2Learn 

See what I mean?

Will you be able to part with her or are you going to keep her?  I think I may already know the answer.

This sounds like kismet to me.

Valued Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

Who are you fostering? 

@Eager2Learn 

See what I mean?

Will you be able to part with her or are you going to keep her?  I think I may already know the answer.

You know what's funny? Up until recently John never wanted a "house dog". I did not want a dog that was only kept in the yard. We started talking about adopting a dog, but given our ages (70 & 73), we thought a dog would outlive us, so decided to foster.

We looked online at our local Humane Society and saw a year old dog that needed a foster home. When we went to sign up, there was only one dog available. That was Cinnamon. A one eyed over weight dog with issues. Smiley Happy Yes, I think it was fate. Yes, we are talking about adopting her. John's just moving more slowly than I am. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

Who are you fostering? 

@Eager2Learn 

See what I mean?

You know what's funny? Up until recently John never wanted a "house dog". I did not want a dog that was only kept in the yard. We started talking about adopting a dog, but given our ages (70 & 73), we thought a dog would outlive us, so decided to foster.

We looked online at our local Humane Society and saw a year old dog that needed a foster home. When we went to sign up, there was only one dog available. That was Cinnamon. A one eyed over weight dog with issues. Smiley Happy Yes, I think it was fate. Yes, we are talking about adopting her. John's just moving more slowly than I am. Smiley Wink

@Eager2Learn 

This sounds so familiar.

BH had pointed out that WGD is so perfect that he will be our last dog.  I agree -- this dog is canine nirvana.

I've also considered my age and abilities.  I like big dogs.  But can I continue to lift a big dog when I need to?  I also live in fear of having a dog and then dying.  What will happen if BH and I aren't around?

I think of the advantages of not owning a dog.  Then I think about the reality of not owning a dog.  Life without one will be... not good.

It's funny, but BH has been talking lately about the possibility of adopting a dog when WGD has passed.

I'm not discouraging this behavior.

Congratulations on your new family member.  She needed you.  And it sounds like maybe you needed her, too. Heart