Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jettison January

@just bee -I might need to look for those little facial scrubbies, I wish a couple of lines on my face were less prominent!

Respected Contributor

Lets see, how about Fit February? Could be physical fitness, financial fitness, etc.

Free February? 

Fabulous February?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

I can't remember now if our vet uses Purina or Pedigree.

I'll be interested in what your vet has to say.

BH will cook and he'll even separate the meat so that WGD's portion isn't spiced.  If we pick up chicken breasts or thighs, we'll buy extra and set WGD's aside to be prepared individually.

Same with whatever meat we're preparing.  We give him steamed green beans when we have them.

Spinning... exploding... aaarrrrgggghhhh.

@just bee Well now, just to make it more confusing, I just read about Dr. Harvey's. This is a dehydrated base which must be rehydrated with warm water, then you would add oil and a protein source such as beef, chicken, etc. 

Dry food, can food, dehyrated food, cooked food, home cooked food, raw food, OH MY!

@Eager2Learn 

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

Don't let @geezerette  see this.

@Eager2Learn 

@just bee 

After the week I just had, I've vowed not to ever give advice to anyone anymore about anything!  

🙈🙉🙊

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Uh-oh.  Friday is the last day of the month.

I need an F-word for February.  No, not that one.

@just bee 

Well then, that lets out my suggestion!  😇🤗

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -yes, the scented hand sanitizers are gone and the strong, scented lotions are going next. I do still enjoy spray fragrance, but it's easier for me to control how much I'm using, so you're prediction might be spot on! 

@rnmom 

I'm already thinking about giving up the Mrs. Meyer's handsoaps because they're a little too "scenty."  Raw Sugar offers handsoaps that may be less fragrant so I might try them when I've emptied the Meyer's containers.

This morning I was even thinking about using those empties and refilling them with a Dr. Bronner's soap.  Find a scent that both BH and I can live with and use the same scent at every sink.

Simple.

Less to buy, less to store, less to recycle.

Something has definitely changed.

@just bee -Yes! I like scented hand soap still, but I've given up BBW hand soaps too because the scent is so strong and it lingers for so long after I wash my hands. Same as the hand sanitizers. I don't want my hand soap competing with whatever scent I've sprayed on myself that day.

I actually bought a shower gel from BBW a year ago during the after Christmas sale and didn't care for the scent so I thought I would use it as hand soap. I washed my hands with it once and it was SO strong even I couldn't stand it. I knew all the boys in my house would hate it. I gave it to my sister. 

Now I just buy cheap grocery store or dollar store handsoaps. Slight scent, but not overpowering. 

I still have one BBW shower gel I'm using up right now, your favorite, Vanilla Bean Noel, then I have one from Ulta and then I want to switch to lighter shower gels too. Again, I like a bit of scent, but I don't need ones so strong. 

I actually like the Dr. Bronners soap idea. It is simple. Buy big 32oz or 56oz refills and use them everywhere.

I agree the BBW hand sanitizers are super strong smelling! I have 1 in my car that I had gotten as a free gift with a purchase. After shopping, I always like using some sanitizer especially during winter to try to fight some germs. This little bottle is soooo potent! It's overly strong so after I used part of the bottle, I added some plain regular-store brand unscented sanitizer to water it down or so i hoped...nope it's still super strong scented, the additional plain unscented stuff just made more scented when it mixed LOL. Don't know what BBW uses for scents to make them so strong. I do still love their 3 wick candles - now those I love due to they have a nice strong scent. My candles should scent an entire room, a hand sanitzer shouldn't! Smiley Wink 

Trusted Contributor

I think we've discussed gift with purchases previously or the promotions to buy a bag of stuff since it's such a great deal?! I fell for the special Black Friday bag sold by The Body Shop. I knew I loved 3 of the products and basically the bag was cheaper than buying the 3 products on their own, so using that special math, I bought 3 of the bags. The bags came with a shower gel that I had previously never used. I have found I do not like it at all. I really need to learn a lesson and don't buy these special deals if I don't already love all the products. In my stash, I had 3 of these shower gels sitting around...until I found out my sister likes the scent! Giving them to her to use them up . They're out of my stash and she will use/enjoy them. Win win! 

Honored Contributor

As far as hand soaps, I'm going back to my tried-and-true SoftSoap.  Once I'm done with the fancy, expensive soaps I'm currently using, I'm not buying them anymore.  Yes, there are a couple I like, but I'm not willing to put them on my priority list anymore to spend my dwindling dollars on.  I originally started using them to use up some sort of other cleanser I wanted to get rid of.  Then I bought some with the idea that they would eliminate my cracked fingers, at which they proved ineffective.  And it occurred to me that I never got so sick with the flu or similar contagion until I started using the milder hand soaps.

About the hand sanitizers--coincidently, last night I just saw a news story about how ineffective these are for destroying germs.  Turns out after all these years of hype, they only kill certain germs.  Guess what is more effective than those drying sanitizers?  Yep.  Good old regular soap. 

Another fad debunked.  Oh, but wait.  I'm sure someone will refute that story.  And next week we'll have yet another new fad that is the know all/end all/be all.  I'm exhausted. 😔

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I spent some money yesterday on toiletries.  Since my hair is getting longish, it gets in the way when I'm washing my face.  I had to buy some elastic ponytail holders to keep it back.  I picked up another package of those silicone facial scrubbies and replaced the Suave Almond + Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner.

After comparing the ingredients in CeraVe and Equate's Hydrating cleanser, I went with two more bottles of Equate.  I'm keeping the second one in the shower.

Ingredients are very similar.  CeraVe has sodium hyaluronate and Equate has hyaluronic acid.  The two ingredients are almost the same but the sodium hyaluronate is supposedly better than the hyaluronic acid because its molecules are smaller and they penetrate the skin and get down further into the layers.

But I haven't had problems with the Equate so I went with the less effective ingredient.  I usually can't verbalize results or even notice results.  I just know what a product doesn't do.  It doesn't dry me out or break me out.  That's usually good enough for me.

But I have noticed a change.  I don't know if it's the Equate or the facial scrubbie, but a line on my face is suddenly less prominent.

BH asked me what the fish oil, probiotics and multivitamins are doing for me and I still can't say.  Probably won't be able to tell him anything when I switch to krill oil, either.

@just bee 

I think we all know down deep that it's more about what we put in our bodies than what we put on our bodies.  But it's much easier (and fun) to slather lotions and creams on ourselves than to go through the work of making and eating healthy foods, not to mention exercise.

And then you have genetics.  Wrinkles, lines, sagging, gray hair, or no hair are more the luck of the draw on what parents, etc. you have than which face cleanser you use.

Add to that environmental exposure responsible for spots and wrinkles.

I'm done with all that hype and advertising.  (I hope.🤞😄)  At least I'm going to give it a good try.  I'm tired of it.  Bored with it.  Sick of it.  And actually ashamed of myself for falling for it for so long.  I give myself a pass for a few years, but I hung onto that fantasy for too long.  I have a few higher end products that I like and work well for me that I'll keep.  No, they're not miracle workers, and if I can happen to find a less expensive substitute I'll be switching them out too.  But for the things that I find less important, ie face cleanser, I'm sticking to the local Walgreen/Walmart selections.

Just my two cents--which, in accordance with how everything else is going up lately, is now worth a nickel.💰😉

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Functional February?  Fresh February?  As in starting fresh because January was a bust?

As I said, January was just practice.

Fret-not in February? Fret-less?

Frickin' Fabulous February Smiley Wink

Feeling Fit & Fabulous in February!

Fun! Fun! Fun! February

Free Yourself in February

@FindingMyJoy 

I like Fretless!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

On the dog food subject, maybe I am a horrible dog mom, but I have been feeding all my dogs Kibbles and Bits for years and they have all done fine. My last little Yorkie lived til almost 16 and the ones I have are still going strong too with no health problems.

Some of that "wholesome" and fresh dog food is SO expensive, I think it would just be better to buy real "people" food and feed it to your dogs. Chicken breast, peas, potatoes, carrots, etc. is all cheaper to just buy in the store than those bags of dog food that are $5-6 a pound. That's just crazy to me. I can't imagine buying that. 

@rnmom 

BH and I made avocado and turkey sandwiches the other day.  He said we needed something crunchy to have with the sandwiches so he picked up a bag of Fritos for five bucks.  When I commented on the price he calculated the price of the "healthier" Terra chips I picked up.

He figured it works out to $7.50 a pound for Terra potato chips.

I could have had a steak.  The dog could have had a steak. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~