Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jettison January

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

Happy New Year everyone! 

I am so glad to be able to talk to all of you, my "online friends". 

I have a few more days to splurge before I try to start my new healthy eating plan. I still have junk in the house but I just need to learn how to say "no". Sugar and sweets, especially chocolate, are my main downfall, and I think I just need to quit cold turkey for a few weeks and get it out of my system. I definitely think that the sugar is an addiction, the cravings are real, and I feel like I need to detox. I know it will be hard but I'm hoping I'll feel better in the end. 

Hubby just bought a brand new, fancy treadmill and I need to make it a point to try to use it and get off my behind at least a couple of days a week. Even if it's only for 15 minutes, I am so out of shape and need to try something. 

@rnmom 

It's hard to cut out sugar because it's in everything.  I didn't think I could give up Skippy but I did.  I think we need to really take the time to read labels and consider the ingredients in what we consume.  For that matter, the ingredients in what we're using on our bodies.

Most of the candies and cookies in the grocery store are garbage.  Like BH says when I stock Halloween candy: That's not real chocolate.

If you truly love chocolate it will be hard to give it up.  You might try treating yourself to some really good chocolate.  A little bit goes a long way when you've got the good stuff.

A little treat for getting on that treadmill.  You'll feel the difference.  I forced myself to move this morning and I can feel the ow.

@just bee 

Exactly!  Not only sugar, but all the other non-food additives they put in store-bought-ready-to-eat food.  It either makes me feel awful physically or makes me crave more of sugar or fat, another thing to watch.

That's why I do the best on "real" food.  Basic.  (I'm sensing a theme here...)  Food from scratch.  And there is the biggest rub for me, and probably a lot of others.  For me, because I'm lazy.  I hate to cook, or prepare food in any way.  And I'm one that can't think of eating anything (which means preparing it) before I'm actually hungry.  Which means that I don't have anything healthy ready to eat when I do get hungry so I can't wait until I fix anything.  And so, I grab whatever is there, which--9 times out of 10--is qwap.  

Then there are those of you that are busy working and have families.  You just don't have the time or energy to make meals from scratch.  And your families suffer for it too.  Especially the kids.  I think it's so important for kids to have good nutrition when they're young. 

Problem is, how can we deal with this?  Outside of forcing myself to take the time to make something nutritious, I try to make things that I can either freeze or refrigerate and use for another serving.  At least that way I can tell myself that tomorrow I don't have to "waste" time cooking it.  And see, that way of thinking has to go!  I'm not "wasting" my time--I'm giving myself the gift of better health!

How about you--what are your tricks to fixing healthier meals?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, maybe "fun" isn't exactly applicable to all situations.  It's hard to think of how to make broccoli more fun than candy bars!  But just getting back to the attitude of focusing on what the broccoli is going to help you achieve--feeling well and stable, and thus able to not only go out and have fun or to better deal with the unpleasant things in our lives that we all must.

It's all in how you look at it.  Years ago I had to go on a very restrictive diet, which ended up lasting for a few years.  I was constantly complaining about what I was missing out on.  (Like a kid whining, "But Mom, everybody else is doing it!")  The OG would take just so much and then shake his head and ask me what was I missing?  Pain?  Lethargy?  I ate like a horse whenever I wanted and was healthier than I'd ever been.  I was thin and active.  All I was missing out on was the propaganda that everyone else was consuming (literally).

Unfortunately, while he was a "glass half full" guy, I've always been a "glass half empty" person.  Not saying I can't change, or at least keep trying to change my attitude.  But it is hard.  Maybe we can keep encouraging each other.  After all, we're not the only ones that feel this way.  Just look at all the new threads about turning over a new leaf and decluttering or dieting.

@geezerette 

It all starts in the brain.

Another word we should keep in mind is commitment.  We need to commit to whatever it is we've envisioned for the year.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

It is a time of joy and if 'it' ain't bringing it, it is going.  At my age, I can no longer save anything for 'good'.  Time to enjoy it or jettison it.  I did gain a new word in my vocabulary so off to a great start. 

@Beauty$Junkie 

That's how I feel, too.  I don't want to sound morbid but, at 60, I feel I have a time limit.  The "I'll use this one day" thing is pure fantasy.  I'm at the point where I know I won't.  And having it sit there, reminding me of that, really doesn't help.

Joy is key.  I used to scoff at Marie Kondo and her idea of keeping only what brings you joy.  But I had to implement something like that after the house fire.  I'd pick up an item and if I didn't feel something positive I let it go.

It will be interesting when we get back into the house and unpack the items that were saved.  I really can't remember what's in those boxes.  If I don't feel positive about them when I unpack, they'll have to go, too.

@just bee 

Just the idea that you can't remember what's in those boxes is a key.  Does that mean those items really aren't that important in your life?  If they were important, wouldn't you be counting the days until you could get them out again?  And how much are you really sacrificing now, while you're in your little rental?  What things don't you have now that you really need, enjoy and are really missing?

When you unpack, and if you don't have a positive feeling about an item, that item needs to go out--before it goes in the new remodeled house.  Then you avoid the whole, "Why did I keep this and how do I get rid of it now?" 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Exactly!  Not only sugar, but all the other non-food additives they put in store-bought-ready-to-eat food.  It either makes me feel awful physically or makes me crave more of sugar or fat, another thing to watch.

That's why I do the best on "real" food.  Basic.  (I'm sensing a theme here...)  Food from scratch.  And there is the biggest rub for me, and probably a lot of others.  For me, because I'm lazy.  I hate to cook, or prepare food in any way.  And I'm one that can't think of eating anything (which means preparing it) before I'm actually hungry.  Which means that I don't have anything healthy ready to eat when I do get hungry so I can't wait until I fix anything.  And so, I grab whatever is there, which--9 times out of 10--is qwap.  

Then there are those of you that are busy working and have families.  You just don't have the time or energy to make meals from scratch.  And your families suffer for it too.  Especially the kids.  I think it's so important for kids to have good nutrition when they're young. 

Problem is, how can we deal with this?  Outside of forcing myself to take the time to make something nutritious, I try to make things that I can either freeze or refrigerate and use for another serving.  At least that way I can tell myself that tomorrow I don't have to "waste" time cooking it.  And see, that way of thinking has to go!  I'm not "wasting" my time--I'm giving myself the gift of better health!

How about you--what are your tricks to fixing healthier meals?

@geezerette 

The trick is keeping foods in the house that are accessible.  Salads are great -- as long as you don't drown them in one of those horrid salad dressings we're sold.  But they always seem like a lot of work.  Do I want to spend an hour rinsing and drying romaine, then cutting up all those vegetables?

We cheat and buy the assorted greens in the tub.  There's the added bonus: We know we have to eat salads because those greens turn black really fast.

Instead of chopping up a tomato, we toss in grape or heirloom tomatoes.  Slice up some cukes or zukes, some colored bell peppers -- anything that brings a variety of color and texture to the bowl.

All the vegetable scraps go into freezer bags then become the base for soup.  I'd rather microwave a single portion of leftover soup from the freezer than microwave something from the frozen food section.  Anything processed is just too salty.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

When you unpack, and if you don't have a positive feeling about an item, that item needs to go out--before it goes in the new remodeled house.  Then you avoid the whole, "Why did I keep this and how do I get rid of it now?" 

@geezerette 

Yeah, like that shimmer body lotion.

Uh-oh.  It's time to post my inventory of beauty items/toiletries.  I'm not including necessities like toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, Huggies wipes, face and body scrubbies.

This list is small compared to the ones we'd post on the old philosophy forum.  But it still feels substantial.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here goes!

Raw Sugar Avocado and Cactus Pear body wash 25 oz

Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner 18 oz

Equate Hydrating facial cleanser 12 oz

Lumene Glow Reveal moisturizer (3 backups, 1 in use)

Lumene CC cream (1 backup, 1 in use)

CeraVe moisturizing cream 16 oz

Burt’s Bees lip balm (5): Pink Grapefruit, Wild Cherry, Coconut & Pear, Strawberry, Beeswax

Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm (2): Rose and Hibiscus

Burt’s Bees Honey & Grapeseed hand cream 2.6 oz (gift)

Wildflower Honey beeswax perfume 0.5 oz tin (gift)

Victoria’s Secret Velvet Petals Shimmer body lotion 8 oz (gift)

wet n wild kohl eyeliner pencil (3)

wet n wild coloricon eyeshadow quad Silent Treatment

wet n wild coloricon eyeshadow quad Walking on Eggshells

wet n wild coloricon 10-color eyeshadow palette Comfort Zone

wet n wild coloricon 10-color eyeshadow palette Nude Awakening

Rimmel Magnif’eyes 12-color eyeshadow palette Nude Edition

Rimmel Magnif’eyes 12-color eyeshadow palette Blush Edition

Ulta single eyeshadow Golden Hour

Ulta single eyeshadow Mirage

Maybelline Full ‘N Soft washable mascara (1 backup, 1 in use)

Laura Geller Baked Blush–N-Brighten Pink Grapefruit 0.16 oz

And then there are small size toiletries from our two-month hotel stay:

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo 0.7 fl oz (3)

Paul Mitchell The Detangler conditioner 0.7 fl oz (3)

Paul Mitchell Lemon Sage body lotion 0.7 fl oz (4)

And one from my Santa Fe trip:

Orange Blossom body lotion 1.35 fl oz

Respected Contributor

I threw out all the candy and junk food a couple days ago. I have a head start. Chocolate, no more in my house. I dumped some well worn clothing also.

I broke or chipped a back tooth a week ago. I bit down on something that felt like a rock. Dentist tomorrow at 7:00 AM. Did not know dentists made app's that early
I called him in on emergency basis, he basically filled it with some putty. I like my dentist. I'm not in severe pain or anything. It obviously struck a nerve though😔

Going to pick up here, shower and go to my mother's house. She is having dillusions now.

Athena has made herself right at home now. She's a black tabby with grey stripes. She is a sweety and talks a lot. She isn't going anywhere.☺ She is loving the warmth of our house. She is a keeper...

Brisk better get moving. Shower time. Brisk out for the day! Have a good day all, Brisk out....
Respected Contributor

That is quite a list, just bee! I admit I am scattered compared to you! 😁
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Here goes!

Raw Sugar Avocado and Cactus Pear body wash 25 oz

Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner 18 oz

Equate Hydrating facial cleanser 12 oz

Lumene Glow Reveal moisturizer (3 backups, 1 in use)

Lumene CC cream (1 backup, 1 in use)

CeraVe moisturizing cream 16 oz

Burt’s Bees lip balm (5): Pink Grapefruit, Wild Cherry, Coconut & Pear, Strawberry, Beeswax

Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm (2): Rose and Hibiscus

Burt’s Bees Honey & Grapeseed hand cream 2.6 oz (gift)

Wildflower Honey beeswax perfume 0.5 oz tin (gift)

Victoria’s Secret Velvet Petals Shimmer body lotion 8 oz (gift)

wet n wild kohl eyeliner pencil (3)

wet n wild coloricon eyeshadow quad Silent Treatment

wet n wild coloricon eyeshadow quad Walking on Eggshells

wet n wild coloricon 10-color eyeshadow palette Comfort Zone

wet n wild coloricon 10-color eyeshadow palette Nude Awakening

Rimmel Magnif’eyes 12-color eyeshadow palette Nude Edition

Rimmel Magnif’eyes 12-color eyeshadow palette Blush Edition

Ulta single eyeshadow Golden Hour

Ulta single eyeshadow Mirage

Maybelline Full ‘N Soft washable mascara (1 backup, 1 in use)

Laura Geller Baked Blush–N-Brighten Pink Grapefruit 0.16 oz

And then there are small size toiletries from our two-month hotel stay:

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo 0.7 fl oz (3)

Paul Mitchell The Detangler conditioner 0.7 fl oz (3)

Paul Mitchell Lemon Sage body lotion 0.7 fl oz (4)

And one from my Santa Fe trip:

Orange Blossom body lotion 1.35 fl oz

@just bee 

🎶"...And a partridge in a pear tree!"🎶 🎄 🤣

I haven't done an inventory on my personal care items, but they're all stored together on shelves in my closet so I can tell at a glance what I have.  I want to consolidate some of what I've been using on my face because I just don't like using as many products as I've gotten into.  However, I haven't been happy with how my skin has been feeling for several months now.  I happened to read another thread in another forum and realized that I had eliminated what the poster had a question about.  I put it back in my "routine", and voila!  Used it twice and my face felt good again.  That's exactly what I want to do with everything: find out what works and is worth buying, and eliminate the rest.  Basic.  Simple.  I think I've got that down as far as clothes goes, now I have to work on skin care.

What I did do was take an inventory of what I'd spent in 2019.  I keep track of all expenses as the year goes on, but what I went through was the discretionary expenses--the things I didn't need and often ended up not even wanting.  

😱Yikes!  Was I surprised!  And shocked!  And embarrassed! 😳  I was sitting alone in an empty house (okay, the animals were here), but I was actually embarrassed!  Let's just say it was enough to almost pay for a small compact car.  Probably was enough for a used compact car.  I've been an idiot!  Worried about spending money in savings, here I can eliminate half of that just by not spending on things I don't even like!!!   Talk about a 'DUH' moment! 😯🤬

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I threw out all the candy and junk food a couple days ago. I have a head start. Chocolate, no more in my house. I dumped some well worn clothing also.

I broke or chipped a back tooth a week ago. I bit down on something that felt like a rock. Dentist tomorrow at 7:00 AM. Did not know dentists made app's that early
I called him in on emergency basis, he basically filled it with some putty. I like my dentist. I'm not in severe pain or anything. It obviously struck a nerve though😔

Going to pick up here, shower and go to my mother's house. She is having dillusions now.

Athena has made herself right at home now. She's a black tabby with grey stripes. She is a sweety and talks a lot. She isn't going anywhere.☺ She is loving the warmth of our house. She is a keeper...

Brisk better get moving. Shower time. Brisk out for the day! Have a good day all, Brisk out....

@Brisky 

I was starting to get depressed when I had that tooth issue but now that I have a night guard again the pain is gone.

I could kick myself for not getting a replacement sooner!

Athena does sound like a keeper!  Enjoy her -- she chose you. Heart