Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jettison January

Thank you all for the advice on how to work my stash! I think the idea of using the stuff I like the most makes sense - enjoy it before it can go bad. Who knows, maybe once I use up the favorite stuff my sense of smell may change and could like the other stuff more? LOL I had thought about donating and it's still an option...however I need to go thru to see what is sealed that could be donated. Several items I got that were new scents so of course I had to open them to sniff them before going into my stash.

I had a tiny declutter today - in my purse I had a lip balm I had bought at local store, ya know the temptation of fun balms right at the check out? Well this one I bought since it was supposed to be more natural ingredients, but I've tried it a few times and each time I can't stand the smell or taste on my lips. Instead of throwing it out, I would just use and put back in my purse forgetting about it until next time my lips were dry and I was away from home. Well today I dug out the icky balm, threw it out, and put a different lip balm in my purse to use. One tiny step of decluttering! woohooo hahahahahahha Smiley Happy gotta claim the tiny victories too, right? 

Plan for tonight is to dig out all of my skincare to see what I have, if i need anything for 2020, or if there is anything old to throw out. 

Trusted Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

I have a confession. I have been avoiding the ComPact thread for 2 reasons: 1. It's on the beauty forum (too much temptation) and 2. I fell off the wagon hard and for a long time (2-3 years?).

Last year I did well decluttering clothing and household items, but not face, body, hair products, toiletries, etc. This year I wound up with 32 more of those items than I had last January.

My biggest problem is I can't resist a good sale, free shipping, and/or reading someone's recommedation (hence avoiding the beauty forum). I just have to buy! Smiley Sad

But since it's 2020 I've decided to re-commit. I floated this thread to the top and hopefully won't be as tempted to read the other beauty threads with recs.

I won't post my total of "beauty items", I would be too embarrassed.

I think I'll start a spreadsheet: what's on hand, what's used up/going out, and what's coming in.

I'll be posting here and on the Declutter 2020 thread. See you all here or there! Smiley Happy

Welcome back! yes you may have fallen off the wagon on some stuff but you also said you had worked on other aspects of decluttering so you should claim that as a win for 2019. I look at this process as a bunch of steps to reach final goal. Last year I majorly curbed my urge to buy makeup and am proud to say my spending on that part decreased a ton over prior years. My shower gels/body creams spending didn't go down...I'm also drawn in by a good sale. Looking at my stash, several are things I bought in duplicate due to the great sale PLUS fun new scents! it's just silly but at least I can laugh at my own stupidity as I put on more lotion. 

I need to check out that Declutter thread. Its nice so much inspiration around to make improvements in our lives!

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Have you ever placed an order for something that you knew you really shouldn't?  Maybe a "just this once" or "this is the last time I do this" thing?  And then had a problem with the order?  And have to spend time waiting for someone in customer service to try and resolve the problem?  Ack!  I swear I'm being punished when this happens.  I rarely have problems with something I order that I really need.

Just another reason to quit buying things I don't really need!  😖

I just don't understand why it's taken me this long to realize that I am causing this frustration in my life myself.  Good grief.  There's enough frustration for me in daily living anymore--I don't need to add to it!😠

Good luck getting it resolved! I definitely understand placing an order for something I knew I shouldn't. I've had the moments of "i should cancel it" nope I'll keep it then getting into bed I'll have the "you need to cancel it, you don't need it". I'll get out of bed to cancel it. By morning, I don't have regrets about canceling it. But I have noticed the window to hit "cancel" is getting shorter for HSN and QVC? So I have to be more mindful to do it right away if I have a flicker of doubt if i need it. 

Trusted Contributor

Hey, gang, I had a bad few weeks. I had a rollover car accident two weeks ago. (My fault, the only ticket I have got). I blew through a stop sign because my mother called on the bluetooth. (phone in my purse).My mom has mental and emotional issues and was upsetting. 

Anyway, it took 30 minutes for the emergency crew to get me out. I only had one contusion on my knee---the rest of me is fine. I was in the emergency room and my knee is pretty messed up. I still can't use it very well.

My Prius was 12 years old and in perfect condition. I had just taken off the collision insurance two months ago. It was totaled. The people who ran into me had 14-year-old Toyota Corolla and theirs was totaled too, but they were not hurt. I am so glad.

I had to buy a new car. We bought a safer car a Subaru Forrester Touring version with all the safety bells and whistles. I am still afraid to drive. I drove twice since, but I can't move my left knee well yet so I will wait a little longer. We have been saving lots of cash for just such an event and I am glad that we did as I was able to pay cash for the vehicle. Now I need to start saving to replenish my savings account. 

I am glad that I bought my makeup and skincare products during the holiday sales. I can literally make it until the 2020 holiday season comes along! I am stocked up on clothes too--even for spring--so I should have no problem-saving. 

I am giving up the expensive DevaCurl haircuts and going back to regular haircuts and I have let my hair return to its natural color. I will not be getting any highlights, if ever, for a very long time. I want to see what I look like with my natural color anyway. I have no grays so it is not so bad--just darker--a dirty dark blonde/light brown color. 

Thanks for listening, friends. I wanted to talk to you guys, but I was feeling so low since the accident. 

PS--I mentioned this before, but I only buy one jumbo philosophy bath wash when the one I am using only has 1/3rd left. This has worked my whole life. It may help some of you.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover 

I'm so relieved to hear you're all right!  Traumatized and injured, but all right!

I can relate to the fear and apprehension about getting behind the wheel again.  When my perfect dog car -- the Subaru Outback that was supposed to outlive me -- was rear-ended and destroyed, not only did I go through the 7 stages of grief, but I was hypervigilant on the road.  I was just waiting for the next thing to hit me.  And that's no way to drive.  The good news is that the fear subsides and you start to feel normal again.

The knee is another story.  They don't grow back.  I blew out my left knee in 2002 and I still don't feel it will ever be 100%.  If you have to do any physical therapy, do it.

Thank goodness everyone survived the crash.  And thank goodness you were able to pay cash for your vehicle.  Nothing worse than a car payment.

I replaced my melted Honda FIT with a Subaru Impreza.  I liked the FIT but the Subaru is a lot better in snow.  I hope the features in the new car make the transition from your old car easier.

So happy you're back with us! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Eager2Learn, So glad to see you back here.  I echo the others and say dont ever feel embarrassed. I still struggle with spending and have fallen off quite often. For me spending has always been retail therapy and even boredom. 

@Squirrel Lover, so glad that you and everyone else was okay.  Take care of yourself. I hope you knee improves. 

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Have you ever placed an order for something that you knew you really shouldn't?  Maybe a "just this once" or "this is the last time I do this" thing?  And then had a problem with the order?  And have to spend time waiting for someone in customer service to try and resolve the problem?  Ack!  I swear I'm being punished when this happens.  I rarely have problems with something I order that I really need.

Just another reason to quit buying things I don't really need!  😖

I just don't understand why it's taken me this long to realize that I am causing this frustration in my life myself.  Good grief.  There's enough frustration for me in daily living anymore--I don't need to add to it!😠

Good luck getting it resolved! I definitely understand placing an order for something I knew I shouldn't. I've had the moments of "i should cancel it" nope I'll keep it then getting into bed I'll have the "you need to cancel it, you don't need it". I'll get out of bed to cancel it. By morning, I don't have regrets about canceling it. But I have noticed the window to hit "cancel" is getting shorter for HSN and QVC? So I have to be more mindful to do it right away if I have a flicker of doubt if i need it. 

@geezerette@FindingMyJoy, oh yes. This made me giggle.  So many times I struggled through an order for one reason or another. Some times I abandon the order in frustration, which is the ideal choice in many cases and others, I get determined to see it through.  I think those are the signs that I dont need anything so I have to listen more.  When I abandon it, I really dont even remember what was all in it. 

Yes, these days you don’t get much time in cancelling an order.  When I do make it within the window, I feel so relieved because I rarely return anything. 

Respected Contributor

On a more frivolous note, I finally found eyeliners I like. They are by IT. I only tried one yesterday but they seemed to stay put. I bought a navy and a plum.  I tried the plum and I wish it looked more purple on the eye but I was just happy to finally find one that stays put. We will see as I test these a bit more.  I bought a total of 5 eyeliners last year, 3 are just trash. 

I wasnt going to buy more eyeliners and just use shadow but I like the ease of them. 

Yesterday, I dropped my jar of the IT concealor. It went all over. All I can think of that was a little expensive jar of concealor.  It was a full jar. What a waste. I still have a little bit left. I did like it too.  I guess that is one thing I dont have to worry about using up. 

I am trying to start using mu again. But now I know why I avoid it.  Besides not have time in the morning, I dread washing it off at the end of the night when I am tired. Sometimes in the past I just didnt, I know gross, but I am trying to get better of washing up early. 

I do like the process of mu though. I have to give myself a bit more time in the morning. I barely have time just for the very basics. 

Valued Contributor

@aprilskiesOh, do I understand!  I am getting ready to send most of my BE to a friend.  I just don't need a lot of eye shadow pots.  I have make up and most of the time I enjoy wearing it but I get up at 5:15 in the morning and just don't feel like doing anything with make up.  I barely allow myself time for breakfast!

I like the IT eyeshadows and a few other products.  The CC cream in any way, shape or form is not for me.  I like Avon eyeliners.  Cheap and wear well on me.

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Thank you all for the advice on how to work my stash! I think the idea of using the stuff I like the most makes sense - enjoy it before it can go bad. Who knows, maybe once I use up the favorite stuff my sense of smell may change and could like the other stuff more? LOL I had thought about donating and it's still an option...however I need to go thru to see what is sealed that could be donated. Several items I got that were new scents so of course I had to open them to sniff them before going into my stash.

I had a tiny declutter today - in my purse I had a lip balm I had bought at local store, ya know the temptation of fun balms right at the check out? Well this one I bought since it was supposed to be more natural ingredients, but I've tried it a few times and each time I can't stand the smell or taste on my lips. Instead of throwing it out, I would just use and put back in my purse forgetting about it until next time my lips were dry and I was away from home. Well today I dug out the icky balm, threw it out, and put a different lip balm in my purse to use. One tiny step of decluttering! woohooo hahahahahahha Smiley Happy gotta claim the tiny victories too, right? 

Plan for tonight is to dig out all of my skincare to see what I have, if i need anything for 2020, or if there is anything old to throw out

@FindingMyJoy, I didnt dig out all of my skincare out of every closet or cabinet, but I took maybe 90% of it just out of my upper vanity cabinets and I ended up with a big basket full of skincare and haircare. I split the two down the middle in the basket. It was eye opening. It weighs about 5 or more lbs. I now just put the whole thing in my linen closet and pull it out each time. It is a pain in the butt but I need to give myself the visual every morning otherwise I will just keep adding.  Hopefully this helps. I have a great way of rationalizing everything out. 

I think it is so good to see everything in one place. It does help. But it always give you an idea of all that you have and maybe forgotten about (talking about myself). 

Last weekend, I was armed with a 5 off 10 coupon at Ulta. Of course I went because I needed something right. Well I ended up with a thayers witch hazel toner with rose petal. I have been wanting to try it. I bring it home and yesterday I was looking for my eye maker remover and what do I find, 2 toners that I bought last year as part of sets. Ugh. Totally forgotten about. So, I will try them soon and see if I like them. I may end up taking some things to work for the taking. 

Today I unsubscribed from Ulta and Macys.  Ulta I was surprised about becausee I do like their coupons. But most of them are online anyway and the rest I can make do with paying a little bit more. It is just too tempting for me and if I go looking I, without fail, will find something I absolutely think I need or want. 

Plus, Ulta, Macys and Kohls were incessant with their emails. I am still getting them with a vengeance.  I did keep Kohls for now because once in awhile I get a 40 percenter that is helpful. 

Anyway, long story to say, it is good to know what we have hidden in our dark corners.