Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jabberwocky June

@Brisky Great news! So happy to hear. (And I love the idea of a Jabberwocky with a bob!)

Respected Contributor

I'm watching some news now. WOW, People protesting is great, when it's done peacefully! Riots are dangerous in all cities. Two totally different things!

Those people in the right, peacefully protesting are putting themselves at risk because of the bad behavior of people who should be arrested and kept in jail. I am hoping we can get rid of the bad elements.
That's the only way we as a people can unite. MO

Communication is needed.

Ok, off my band wagon☺

@rnmom, you are doing awesome!

Everybody take it easy if you can.... Hang loose if possible. I know this country is crazy right now. I think and hope this will pass! 2020, not looking so great!
Ok, Brisk out to do yard work.....
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Well, I gotta say, I feel a different feeling afoot in the world starting sometime yesterday. Perhaps it's the protests (not the looting etc but the big actual protests). The bubbling up and release of pain and hurt and anger and sorrow. Talk about a grand decluttering!!!!!!!

It's not I don't get how hard and worrying things are for every single one of us. But just for this moment, I'm celebrating the many glimpses of people from all over, showing their good hearts, buoyant spirits, and the energy to demand we be better. So hard, yet so cleansing.

For the first time in years, I'm feeling encouraged about the future. I, too, want to be better. I want to see more clearly, be more open, welcome more learning and change, jettison every thing, every belief, every idea, every memory that weighs me down.

Hope y'all don't mind me blurting all this. 

@KaySD 

Haven't you noticed that we all tend to blurt things out around here?🤣

You are certainly entitled to do the same!😉

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

So for me, HEP is the only thing that is still continuing to go right. It's taken 5 months, but I am down a total of 34 pounds since the beginning of the year and I feel SO much better! (Physically at least, we won't address my mental state right now). I am still trying to eat better most of the time, more fruits and veggies, avoiding most sweets with only the very ocassional small piece of chocolate or cookie. 

I've been trying to exercise a bit more and feel better about that too. We're actually going on a bike ride down a rail trail later on today. I can't remember when was the last time I rode a bike. I hope that I hold up okay! My boys seem excited to go for a ride. We don't have a lot of time today, but we'll go for a short ride, eat a packed lunch, then ride back. I'm hoping to maybe do it a few more times this summer.

We don't have any sidewalks out where we live and the road we're on is really busy, that's why we haven't ridden more. We have to load up our bikes to take them to the trail. But might as well. There's not going to be anything else to do this summer, all the festivals etc all cancelled. No scouts, no sports. I guess we can just ride our bikes and picnic in the park. 

@rnmom 

Wow!  That's fantastic!👏🎉  (I can't even manage to keep 5 lbs off.😫)

You apparently found something to keep you motivated.  And it sounds like you're doing it by moderation--which is what all the experts say is really the only way to maintain any type of longevity.  

Not only that, but you're discovering new and inventive ways to get some exercise! Physical activity with the family is also a great way to maintain family unity.  Who knows, when your boys grow up they might look back on this time at home with mom and dad and talk about how much fun it was!😉

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

From the Urban Dictionary...

jabberwocky:

Total nonsense. A fit of rambling which resembles a civilized language but in fact is meant only to obfuscate meaning or confuse the victim, or "listener." Directly taken from Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll.

The Jabberwock:

image.png

@just bee 

Exactly what I've felt for the last several years, not just June.

No further comments.  

@geezerette 

Oh, I have plenty -- but I'll be banned.

@just bee - Yep, me too. Just an FYI- I'm still mad. 

@rnmom 

Can anger turn to disgust?  I think that's one of the five stages of being so p____d off you can't breathe.

Or maybe it's just the face mask.

@just bee 

I put a paper towel in my mask to use as a filter.  

I almost passed out in the grocery store from lack of oxygen.😵

I think I'll continue to take my chances with just the fabric mask itself.

Trusted Contributor

@Brisky Enjoyed your bandwagon. Made me think. 

I've been watching some news also--so much going on--I'm happy and grateful for the protesters (not the baddies, but they are a small fraction). I want to listen, and listen, and listen until enough of us finallly start to see things in a better way. I love seeing the young people out there, and all ages, races, sizes and shapes. Their spirit is strong. We need to breathe!

I know it's easy for me to sit here in my sheltered place and think good thoughts in my own good time, and it's a whole other thing to go out and face it the world. I am humbled by this thought. I also know there are an infinite number of ideas about how things should be, and we will never all agree, and that's democracy--and life!--at it's messy and glorious best. 

It's like when I clean out my closet and hit that stage where everything is all over the place, chaotic and confusing. At that point I can't just ignore it and pretend it's not what it is. But eventually, it starts to come together and feel clearer and less heavy. There's a lot in my mental closet that needs airing as well.

For now, it's a clarifying moment and I embrace it.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette  Does a cut down coffee filter work? I've just been using 2 layers of cloth, too. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

From the Urban Dictionary...

jabberwocky:

Total nonsense. A fit of rambling which resembles a civilized language but in fact is meant only to obfuscate meaning or confuse the victim, or "listener." Directly taken from Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll.

The Jabberwock:

image.png

@just bee 

Exactly what I've felt for the last several years, not just June.

No further comments.  

@geezerette 

Oh, I have plenty -- but I'll be banned.

@just bee - Yep, me too. Just an FYI- I'm still mad. 

@rnmom 

Can anger turn to disgust?  I think that's one of the five stages of being so p____d off you can't breathe.

Or maybe it's just the face mask.

@just bee -Yes, anger can turn to disgust and I am so disgusted right now that I can't even put it into words. You did a pretty good job though. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

Our governor is starting to open up a few more things so I might start thinking about decluttering again, if I can actually go and drop off donations. 

I don't actually have a lot. I have a couple of things in mind that I will probably get rid of, a clock and some framed pictures. One of the animal rescue groups around here has an annual garage sale in August and I might actually save those items and see if they have the sale. I'd like to help them out if I can. 

I'm trying to now cut back on the whole "stocking up" craze that started a couple of months ago. I'm still hearing rumors that food prices might go up quite a bit in the future, but we have SO much food here already that I won't need staples, canned goods or pasta, etc for weeks. Fortunately it's all neatly stored on shelves in our basement, but I want to still try to work on getting thru some of it. Of course we will still need to shop almost every week for milk, meat, bread, etc.but I don't feel the need to buy "extra" every time I'm there anymore. 

I'm not stocking up on toiletries either. I had been buying extra soap, cleaning supplies, etc. because it was getting so hard to find that stuff. I have enough here to last for a bit before I need to worry about getting more. And toilet paper has reappeared in every store consistently now, so no more hoarding tp either!

I feel pretty good about my cosmetic, skin care, bath products collection. Do I still have more than I need? Yep. But I'm okay with the amount I do have. As items need to be replaced though I am going to research some different brands. I'm thinking Pacifica is one that I want to try additional products. I've used several of their items and like them. They are reasonably priced and I believe Made in the USA. So I want to try more from them as I need replacements. And I want to look for some other reasonably priced Made in the USA products too.

@rnmom 

Looks like openings here will be delayed.  Businesses that were scheduled to open will be busy with repairs and clean-up before they can open again.  And replacing inventory...

If they can even afford to, that is.

@just bee - Isn't that absolutely crazy? And these protests are all ok, but heaven forbid you to go the Capitol and cut hair on the lawn, then you get a fine.

Now they're actually talking about DEFUNDING the police! I'm telling ya, get ready girls, we are heading towards war. I don't know how anyone can feel any "peace" in the midst of all of this. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

So for me, HEP is the only thing that is still continuing to go right. It's taken 5 months, but I am down a total of 34 pounds since the beginning of the year and I feel SO much better! (Physically at least, we won't address my mental state right now). I am still trying to eat better most of the time, more fruits and veggies, avoiding most sweets with only the very ocassional small piece of chocolate or cookie. 

I've been trying to exercise a bit more and feel better about that too. We're actually going on a bike ride down a rail trail later on today. I can't remember when was the last time I rode a bike. I hope that I hold up okay! My boys seem excited to go for a ride. We don't have a lot of time today, but we'll go for a short ride, eat a packed lunch, then ride back. I'm hoping to maybe do it a few more times this summer.

We don't have any sidewalks out where we live and the road we're on is really busy, that's why we haven't ridden more. We have to load up our bikes to take them to the trail. But might as well. There's not going to be anything else to do this summer, all the festivals etc all cancelled. No scouts, no sports. I guess we can just ride our bikes and picnic in the park. 

@rnmom 

Wow!  That's fantastic!👏🎉  (I can't even manage to keep 5 lbs off.😫)

You apparently found something to keep you motivated.  And it sounds like you're doing it by moderation--which is what all the experts say is really the only way to maintain any type of longevity.  

Not only that, but you're discovering new and inventive ways to get some exercise! Physical activity with the family is also a great way to maintain family unity.  Who knows, when your boys grow up they might look back on this time at home with mom and dad and talk about how much fun it was!😉

@geezerette - Thanks! We went on our bike ride yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I'd say we went about 12 miles total and I'm not even sore today! I am so glad that I lost some weight and started exercising a bit. 6 months ago I'm sure that I wouldn't have been able to do that. It really does feel good to be able to get out and be active again and not feel heavy and exhausted. I haven't felt like this in a really long time. Definitely is motivation to keep it up.

It was funny, because my younger son, who was talking smack and telling me that he didn't think I could ride that far was totally gassing it on the way back. We rode about 6 miles, ate in a park and rode 6 miles back home and he was tiring out fast on the way back. So it was funny because I even outrode him! Next time if he goes we won't go as far. My older son wants to go again to ride into town and get ice cream so we will do that soon.