Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jabberwocky June

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:
I can't remember if I mentioned my rash here. Long story short, I broke out in a rash on my arms and legs for weeks. I changed to unscented soap and lotion. I haven't used any fragrance since work from home (WFH) started. I don't know when I will go back to using fragrance. Even Amazing Grace smells so strong to me now. More and more, my makeup and toiletries are becoming simpler. 

I noticed that I'm washing the same 7-10 outfits. As soon as it's washed, I pull them out to wear again. My favorite shirts all have at least one hole in them. It's not visible unless you know where to look so I keep wearing them. I'm hoping to lose enough weight (like @rnmom) so that I can pull out some smaller clothes that I put away. I kept some of my favorites in the hope that I would fit it one day. I really don't want to buy new clothes just to WFH. I go into the office about 3 times a week but it's much more casual than before. So I wear my WFH clothes to the actual office now. 

Have your pets been more or less attached to you? Our cat follows me from room to room now. When I'm working, he sleeps on the desk or nearby. Always "supervising" me. The dog, ironically, is less attached and usually sleeps in another room. Not what I expected. @geezerette who is your shadow? Carla or the cat?

@KaySD your new appliances sound great! I hope you're enjoying them. @just bee  have you gotten used to living in your new/old house? Does the WGD feel at home there? When we changed our flooring from carpet to laminate, the dog had a hard time walking on the laminate. It's been a year and he still has a hard time with it.

It's butterfly season again but this time we are not fostering them. I felt like I couldn't feed them enough so we just watch them on the crown flower bush. It's like an easter egg hunt to find the chrysalis. It's amazing to see how far some of the caterpillars will travel to find the perfect spot for them to transform.

@Oshare-girl 

Great post -- glad to have you back.

Now that I've lost the contents of my closets and drawers (unused beauty products and clothes) it's hard to imagine filling them up again.  I lived in a hotel for two months and realized that I can survive quite well without the extra items.

I do need to buy new scrubs and longsleeve shirts to wear under them (getting those little holes in my shirts), but I haven't been motivated.  I also have a rotation of casual clothes -- just enough until it's time to do laundry and start all over again.  My plan is to keep my everyday-wear as limited as possible.  No prints, no crazy colors, no frills.  Very basic.

Beauty products.  Again, basic stuff.  And fragrances are just getting annoying.  I used to live for fragrance.  Had to have a variety.  Now it has to be subtle or non-existent.  Never thought I'd see the day.

Pets.  My fear is that pets will suffer the most when everybody gets back to normal.  Separation anxiety is a terrible thing.  People need to start separating themselves now, slowly, before they just disappear again for ten to twelve hours a day.

WGD has issues with some flooring in stores but he has adjusted to the vinyl planks -- probably because they don't have a smooth texture.  The floor in the rental was smooth and slippery but he eventually adjusted to that.  He's back to running through the house, chasing after his stuffed hedgehog.

I feel bad about losing so much of our landscape after the fire, but what we do have left is doing well and the flowers are attracting bees, birds and butterflies.  I'm keeping the bird bath full of water.  What we have in huge numbers is lizards.  And we've found them in the house.  I'd like to know how they're getting in...

If our Biopark ever fully reopens I'd like to visit the Butterfly Pavilion again.  It's a very cool exhibit -- lots of plants and flowers, and bugs fluttering about.

I wonder how the zoo animals will feel about having visitors again.

@just bee I still look forward to the day when I only have products I love and use. That's what's keeping me from taking advantage of all the sales right now. I know that I could cut what I have in half and be perfectly happy. Isn't that ironic? Having too much is keeping me from being happy with what I have.

I'm going into the office more often, but my kids are still at home so the pets aren't completely alone yet. I wonder if the cat will miss me? About a week into the quarantine, DD told the dog, "How did you do it before? Now you want to go out so often!" LOL, he used to be able to hold it all day but now has to go out at lunch time and in the afternoon. And I also wonder how my kids were able to survive on so little food when they were in school. It seems that they are always eating something at home.

So cute! WGD and his hedgehog. 

Lizards! We have tons of them too! I think a batch just hatched because the cat's been catching one or two tiny ones everyday. There's scripture that a lizard can be caught in the hand, but yet found in a king's palace. Seems that it's been a problem for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

We've alway used our aspirin up before the expiration date since I stopped buying the 500 count bottles. Just kidding, sort of. I did stop buying the 500 count bottles several years ago, because the 100 count takes up less space, lasts long enough, and doesn't really cost more per dose. I buy generic. I had to buy some a few months ago, and a 300 count was all I could find. It expires 8/2021. If there's any left then we'll still use it.

DH takes it more often than I, but we both switch between aspirin and ibuprofen depending on the pain. I took two aspirin the day before I donated blood in May, and it wasn't a problem for a whole blood donation.

Have you ever thought about how selfless you are by donating blood? Do you ever wonder if a recipient would refuse your blood if they knew it came from you?

My next donation I'll hit 14 gallons.

@Caffeina 

HOLY CANNOLI!!!

I'm trying to do the math, but I still think you have me beat.  No, I know you have me beat.

Question is: Have you ever thought about how selfless you are by donating blood? 

That's a lot of blood. Heart

There's a thread on another forum that cites a study: Type A blood is more susceptible to coronavirus.  (I'm A+.)

I can't wait to get my antibody test when I donate on Saturday.  If I didn't have COVID this year I'd really like to know what that was.  Of course, I'll probably never know.  I just don't want it again.

Fourteen gallons.  I'm impressed.  And I feel like a real slacker.  I have some catching up to do!

@just bee 

Now there's definite proof we were separated at birth.

@geezerette 

Your second toe isn't longer than your big toe, is it?

@just bee 

Which foot?

@geezerette 

Both? Woman Embarassed

ETA:

If you were thinking I'd say "all four" then we really were separated at birthWoman Wink

@just bee 

🤣

As much as there were times I wished otherwise, I'm sure I'm a biological product of both my parents.  Not only because of familial resemblances, but because I was such a problem for them as a child (and adult!) that I know they would have returned me had I been adopted!😳🤣

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I'm baaaaack. I lost motivation for a while there. My drivers license needed to be renewed this past week so that woke me up. I didn't want to be lugging that extra quarantine weight around for 8 years on my license so I started eating better and in smaller quantities and started walking/jogging with DD. I'm back to pre-quarantine weight, which is still 15 lbs more than the last time I renewed my license, but it's something. I also started to eat in the intermittent fasting method. Eat in a 10 hour window. It's kinda interesting that I can go much longer between meals and eat smaller meals. And I'm also decreasing my intake of refined carbs. @rnmom Now I understand how you feel about sweets. The longer I go without eating it, the less I crave it. Yay, I'm back on the HEP wagon. DH doesn't get it, how I went from eating everything and now I'm much more careful. I don't either but somehow I got my motivation back.

I also committed to go gray. I last colored in Feb and have about 3 inches of natural growth. It's interesting to see where the white is. Mostly in the front and top and down the middle of the back of my head. I have large patches of dark in the back. DS made a comment that my white hair looks cool. 

Gotta go out, will be back later.

@Oshare-girl 

I was motivated about 40 seconds ago.  It came in a flash: 

Sell everything.  Move to the middle of nowhere.  Make butter.  Sell butter.  Be one with the livestock.

But that's never going to happen so I'm unmotivated again.

I lost a lot of weight without even trying after the fire.  Recently, I've gained weight.  Without even trying.

I haven't replaced the scale but I'm curious about the number.  How much do I weigh exactly?  Clothes still fit, but I hadn't been "filling out" my bras the way I used to.  Now they're filled again.  (All my weight shows up above my hips.)

I'm eating less because my appetite is off, but I'm eating more of what I generally don't eat: Buttered popcorn, gelato, lots of biscotti.

Raccoon Eating GIFs | Tenor

That's me, watching Billy Elliot for the 4653rd time.

Need to get back on track.

I committed to going gray a very long time ago.  The problem is that my hair never got the memo.  I have more "sparkles," as the woman who cuts my hair calls them, but I still mostly have my natural squirrel color (brown, red, gold with sparkles of gray, silver and white).

I have no issues with the gray, silver and white overtaking the brown.  In fact, my hair is darker now that all the straw has been removed.  It was getting lighter and lighter, but that was just the hay on my head.  Now the darker hair that was beneath is exposed.

I just want to know if I'll be gray, silver, white or a combination.  The way things are going, I should find out soon.

But good for you for gaining some control over the situation.  That's the first step of getting back to normal.  It's been too easy to say, The world is burning so just have another pint of gelato.

But I do have to admit: The popcorn and gelato have been tasty.

@just bee That raccoon is living the life, I'm jealous. He's not worried about heart disease or gray hair. Woman LOL

You hit the nail on the head, I finally have some control again. I lost self-control for awhile and gave into all the things. It's nice to feel like I'm doing some steering again.

Geez, what a year it's been for you, starting with the fire and now with the pandemic. I don't blame you for "filling up your cups". Although I wish my body gained weight in my cups. I've been gaining it around my belly, which I know is dangerous so I'm trying to burn that fat.

Your natural hair color(s) sound pretty. It sure is a guessing game when it comes to hair. Since I was renewing my drivers license, I asked my hairstylist what people put down as their hair color when they have hair like mine. Black & white? She said "I guess what you think your longterm color will be". Black & white it is. I hope to start a revolution amongst my friends and family. When they see me, they will be shocked. But the jig's up, I am getting older and so are they.

@Oshare-girl 

Easy!  If I have squirrel hair, yours must be skunk!

No... panda!

Adorable Panda Eating Bamboo GIF | Gfycat

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Oshare-girl 

Well, howdy there, stranger!  I'm glad you stopped by with an update.  I've been wondering how you were doing.  Sounds like things are pretty good in your tropical paradise.  Now, if you could only keep us mainlanders from spoiling it for you, you'd be even better off!😉

Congrats on getting a handle on the diet!👍  I'd say it doesn't take much to get us falling off the wagon, but I think a global pandemic would be considered "a much".😄  I think we all have a tipping point for what we won't tolerate anymore, and it sounds like you found your motivation.  Of course, the key is continuity, which is the great bugaboo, and what I constantly have a problem with.  It's easier to keep in line if you don't let those couple extra pounds accumulate into several.  When my mother would gain just five extra pounds she would stop eating dessert until she lost them again.  I, however, have not had her discipline in the last several years.  I'm working on it though.

My favorite clothes have seen better days too.  My gripe is that they don't make the same ones anymore.  Either the style has been discontinued or the fit and/or material isn't the same so the new clothes just don't feel like the old favorites.  So I just keep wearing the old ones.

I'm really not surprised you're switching to unscented products.  You already have a liking for natural products, and with all those beautiful natural floral fragrances in your environment you don't need anything competing! 🌺  And I think so many companies are changing their formulas it's not surprising you had a reaction.  It's getting harder and harder to rely on anything staying the same.  Coincidentally I've been having a reaction to a lot of foods lately myself.  So there's just another motivation to eat better.  

As for my critters, well, the cats are both fickle creatures.  They only really care about me if they're hungry, want to go outside (only one is allowed out on his own but the other is always begging to get out), or at night when they want in the bed.  On the other hand, Carla would be stuck to my side like glue 24 hours a day if I let her.  She drives me nuts sometimes.  Especially when I get on the floor to do my stretching exercises.  The last thing I want then is a 100 lb. drooling dog looming over me!😖😊

Great to hear from you--don't wait so long to come back!😘

@geezerette Aloha! Well, the governor just announced that on August 1st, he is opening up the state to incoming flight, contingent on a negative virus test result. With the number of cases rising, it's scary, but necessary. The number of cases are rising in nursing facilities, which will not end well. But our state survives off tourism and we are dying of that. Which will kill us first, the virus or the economy? The economy will do us in. Anyway...it's officially summer and it makes me want to go into the office more often cause free ac! 

Absolutely, the key to any diet is continuity. I wish I could see results faster, but it took me 8 years to get to this weight. I'm not gonna lose it in a few weeks. So how long did it take your mom to lose those 5 lbs by not eating dessert? Inquiring minds want to know.

They really don't make clothes like the used to. My poor denim shorts had such a short life. And the way beauty products are changed or discontinued is dizzying. I'm still not sure what cause my rash, if it was expired products or a metal allergy from my razor. I'm glad I don't have other allergies to plants. You're right, the flowers and fruits here are naturally amazing.

Do you know what foods are making you react? I hope it's not too bad for you.

Aw, Carla's a big sweetheart! I'm glad you have her by your side. She'll take good care of you. The cats will be cats. It's really been nice to have these critters around during this time. They always amuse us.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

HAPPY SUMMER SOLSTICE EVERYBODY! 

@KaySD 

My least favorite season -- but it's one step closer to my favorite: Autumn. Heart

@just bee 

I second that emotion! 🎶🎶🎶

@geezerette @just bee @KaySD  I third that! 

Trusted Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@Oshare-girl  Loved what you said, "The urge to reduce my stash is greater than to buy new things."

@KaySD I replaced one obsession with another. I'm obsessed with using things up.

Trusted Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@just bee Right on, sister. I especially liked your comment, "I won't be purchasing things for a fantasy life." Have you ever wanted something, and by the time you are able to buy it, it doesn't really suit you any more, but you buy it anyway, because you've always wanted it? Every time I see a great price for a VitaMix, I have to tie myself to the bedpost to keep from buying it, because I wanted it so much 30 years ago. 

@KaySD  Oh boy, yes I know that feeling! I would pat myself on the back for resisting for so long, then finally buy the thing and be totally unsatisfied with it or not use it at all. So much waste...

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

We've alway used our aspirin up before the expiration date since I stopped buying the 500 count bottles. Just kidding, sort of. I did stop buying the 500 count bottles several years ago, because the 100 count takes up less space, lasts long enough, and doesn't really cost more per dose. I buy generic. I had to buy some a few months ago, and a 300 count was all I could find. It expires 8/2021. If there's any left then we'll still use it.

DH takes it more often than I, but we both switch between aspirin and ibuprofen depending on the pain. I took two aspirin the day before I donated blood in May, and it wasn't a problem for a whole blood donation.

Have you ever thought about how selfless you are by donating blood? Do you ever wonder if a recipient would refuse your blood if they knew it came from you?

My next donation I'll hit 14 gallons.

@Caffeina 

HOLY CANNOLI!!!

I'm trying to do the math, but I still think you have me beat.  No, I know you have me beat.

Question is: Have you ever thought about how selfless you are by donating blood? 

That's a lot of blood. Heart

There's a thread on another forum that cites a study: Type A blood is more susceptible to coronavirus.  (I'm A+.)

I can't wait to get my antibody test when I donate on Saturday.  If I didn't have COVID this year I'd really like to know what that was.  Of course, I'll probably never know.  I just don't want it again.

Fourteen gallons.  I'm impressed.  And I feel like a real slacker.  I have some catching up to do!

@just bee 

Now there's definite proof we were separated at birth.

@geezerette 

Your second toe isn't longer than your big toe, is it?

@just bee 

Which foot?

@geezerette 

Both? Woman Embarassed

ETA:

If you were thinking I'd say "all four" then we really were separated at birth. Woman Wink

Mine is! On both feet, LOL.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I'm baaaaack. I lost motivation for a while there. My drivers license needed to be renewed this past week so that woke me up. I didn't want to be lugging that extra quarantine weight around for 8 years on my license so I started eating better and in smaller quantities and started walking/jogging with DD. I'm back to pre-quarantine weight, which is still 15 lbs more than the last time I renewed my license, but it's something. I also started to eat in the intermittent fasting method. Eat in a 10 hour window. It's kinda interesting that I can go much longer between meals and eat smaller meals. And I'm also decreasing my intake of refined carbs. @rnmom Now I understand how you feel about sweets. The longer I go without eating it, the less I crave it. Yay, I'm back on the HEP wagon. DH doesn't get it, how I went from eating everything and now I'm much more careful. I don't either but somehow I got my motivation back.

I also committed to go gray. I last colored in Feb and have about 3 inches of natural growth. It's interesting to see where the white is. Mostly in the front and top and down the middle of the back of my head. I have large patches of dark in the back. DS made a comment that my white hair looks cool. 

Gotta go out, will be back later.

@Oshare-girl 

I was motivated about 40 seconds ago.  It came in a flash: 

Sell everything.  Move to the middle of nowhere.  Make butter.  Sell butter.  Be one with the livestock.

But that's never going to happen so I'm unmotivated again.

I lost a lot of weight without even trying after the fire.  Recently, I've gained weight.  Without even trying.

I haven't replaced the scale but I'm curious about the number.  How much do I weigh exactly?  Clothes still fit, but I hadn't been "filling out" my bras the way I used to.  Now they're filled again.  (All my weight shows up above my hips.)

I'm eating less because my appetite is off, but I'm eating more of what I generally don't eat: Buttered popcorn, gelato, lots of biscotti.

Raccoon Eating GIFs | Tenor

That's me, watching Billy Elliot for the 4653rd time.

Need to get back on track.

I committed to going gray a very long time ago.  The problem is that my hair never got the memo.  I have more "sparkles," as the woman who cuts my hair calls them, but I still mostly have my natural squirrel color (brown, red, gold with sparkles of gray, silver and white).

I have no issues with the gray, silver and white overtaking the brown.  In fact, my hair is darker now that all the straw has been removed.  It was getting lighter and lighter, but that was just the hay on my head.  Now the darker hair that was beneath is exposed.

I just want to know if I'll be gray, silver, white or a combination.  The way things are going, I should find out soon.

But good for you for gaining some control over the situation.  That's the first step of getting back to normal.  It's been too easy to say, The world is burning so just have another pint of gelato.

But I do have to admit: The popcorn and gelato have been tasty.

@just bee That raccoon is living the life, I'm jealous. He's not worried about heart disease or gray hair. Woman LOL

You hit the nail on the head, I finally have some control again. I lost self-control for awhile and gave into all the things. It's nice to feel like I'm doing some steering again.

Geez, what a year it's been for you, starting with the fire and now with the pandemic. I don't blame you for "filling up your cups". Although I wish my body gained weight in my cups. I've been gaining it around my belly, which I know is dangerous so I'm trying to burn that fat.

Your natural hair color(s) sound pretty. It sure is a guessing game when it comes to hair. Since I was renewing my drivers license, I asked my hairstylist what people put down as their hair color when they have hair like mine. Black & white? She said "I guess what you think your longterm color will be". Black & white it is. I hope to start a revolution amongst my friends and family. When they see me, they will be shocked. But the jig's up, I am getting older and so are they.

@Oshare-girl 

Easy!  If I have squirrel hair, yours must be skunk!

No... panda!

Adorable Panda Eating Bamboo GIF | Gfycat

@just bee  Panda is pretty accurate the way things are going. I'm black and white and round all over. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

I'm getting ready for bed and looked at all the stuff in my drawers. I think about half of it I really don't need. Such as leave-in spray conditioner, face masks/sheet masks, micellar water, multiple lip balms, multiple anything... I'm determined to use these things up for good and I'm not going to repurchase them. Many were purchased to meet the free shipping minimum. 

What are the things you can do without?

I'm using a combination of 2 concealers, both of which I am not absolutely thrilled with. I'm using them up to get over my perfectionism. There is no perfect concealer. There is no perfect anything. At the end of the day, I look fine whatever is on my face. I do find that I enjoy using something if the packaging is functional. I have a Laura Mercier concealer that was not cheap. But the packaging sure is. The clasp stopped working ages ago but I still have a good amount left. I have to use a hairtie to keep the compact closed. I wish the compact stayed closed on its own but will stop expecting perfection out of it. I'm actually growing fond of its broken-ness. It feels well used and like I"m getting my money's worth.