Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Autonomous August

@Brisky wrote:
Common sense is your answer...
Most people I know have it and they WILL vote with that in their minds. I believe our people are smarter than any of us might think.
Hang in there everybody.
Back up plan... Wyoming😳

@Brisky 

I've been talking about Wyoming for years.

New Mexico is an enormous state.  Population: A tad over 2 million.

Wyoming has less than 600,000.

The good news is that's roughly the population of Albuquerque.  But this concerns me.  Last time I looked, Wyoming had 440,000.  Must mean people are moving there.  

I wonder if they're Californians.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Well I haven't really been compacting this past week, at least with regards to body products. I bought that box of goat milk products at the auction last week and today I just placed an order from BBW and picked up a few remnants left over from their semi annual sale. I had a gift card so it didn't cost me anything, and I just felt like buying something I guess. I haven't really bought anything fun in literally months, only groceries, groceries and more groceries.

I thought I would be happy with fragrance free lotion and just body sprays to fragance myself with but nope, I find that I'm missing the scented body lotions. So I bought some. Actually I think I bought 8. And 3 more spray fragrances. Oops. Oh well. I really feel like I need SOMETHING to enjoy right now. 

Still continuing with Hep and I actually lost another 5lbs last month, so I'm at a total of 45lbs lost. My clothes are getting really baggy but I won't order anything unless I can try it on, and I won't spend an hour or two in the thrift store with a mask on trying on clothes. Actually, I don't know if they'll even allow it, I know Walmart had their fitting rooms closed. So I just put a belt on and wear really baggy clothes. 

I'm fine with where my weight is now, and don't feel the need to lose any more. I didn't actually think I'd get here, but I'm thrilled that I did. But I am still continuing to try to eat healthier. We went to a small get together yesterday and rather than eating a hamburger and chips I ate cut up fruit, chicken breast and some macaroni salad. No cake, doritoes, chips. I still do have that stuff as a treat once in a while, but I definitely am trying to eat healthier most of the time.

I haven't been exercising a ton, working out on the elliptical maybe once a week, but I try to walk several times a day at work on break. And I ordered some vitamins too from iherb to try to keep my immune system strong. I had a physical this past week, it had been over 2 1/2 years and doctor said everything looked good. Of course she ordered lab work and a mammogram, which I may or may not do. But I'm feeling pretty good about my health overall. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky wrote:
Get this, My DH went to pick up a couple items at the grocery store yesterday, of course he had his mask on.
He was in produce when a guy told him quite loudly he wasn't staying 6 feet away from them.
My husband then replied. You are not even wearing a mask and it is Mandated in CO to wear a mask in public. Do we need management?
The man walked away... No mask.
People are crazy!😣 I mean REALLY?

@Brisky 

Remember when I'd posted that I'd had an unpleasant shopping experience and decided I would only leave the house to go to work and walk the dog?

Well, it was a very similar experience.  I was in line at the checkout and I'd taken all my items out of the cart.  The guy behind me was chatty and asked me about some of the things I was purchasing.  So we started talking.  One thing led to another and I found myself hipping him to The Chocolate Cartel and Van Rixel Bros. gelato and sorbet.  I was so into the conversation that I could not hear the woman in line ahead of me shrieking at me.  You know how those facemasks muffle, right?

Anyway, I finally realized she's shrieking at me because I'd pushed my cart up the line blocking her from the card swiper.  I guess she didn't want to move my cart because it was full of COVID or something.  And then she shrieked that I wasn't six feet away from her.

Judging the reaction of the guy in line behind me and the clerk behind the register, her cheese had slid off its cracker.  Then, as I was helping the clerk bag my purchases and I was placing them in my cart, another store associate ran over me with a very large cart full of merchandise.  The clerk was mortified and apologized.  The one who ran over me did not.  I assured her, anyway, that the injuries would heal -- no worries.

But by the time I left that store I'd decided that I was done.  You mention September 11.  What made that event bearable was the reaction of the people.  They were suddenly more polite and pleasant.  Everyone noticed.

Not the case here.  People are becoming, for lack of a more sensitive term, feral.  Absolutely feral.

@just bee - Yep, people are downright mean and nasty right now. Definitely not "we're in this together". I placed another grocery order for pickup tomorrow, I'm not fighting Kroger with a mask on for 2 hours. The store is huge, takes forever to get thru and I'm just not dealing with it right now. 

I might try to plan a quick trip to Aldi or the dollar store in a week or two. I can usually get in and out of those stores pretty quick if I have to wear a mask. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Another Albuquerque landmark bites the dust.

It will close its doors on Monday.

@just bee - So, so sad. I would comment, but I might just get kicked off the forum.

@rnmom 

I went there yesterday.  Most of the merchandise is gone, but there were these interesting medieval-looking tiles.  Almost looked like something from The Canterbury Tales and each tile had a different unicorn motif.  I was tempted because they were so strange, but then I realized that I just didn't need them.  Still, I wanted to purchase something, so I bought ten European postcards.  Absurd, arty cards.

But my reason for being there was to get information.  What's next, I asked.

There may be good news.  Someone might be buying the property and keeping the "cafe" inside.  We'll see.  I'd hate to see the building and sign change.  I'll keep you posted.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Well I haven't really been compacting this past week, at least with regards to body products. I bought that box of goat milk products at the auction last week and today I just placed an order from BBW and picked up a few remnants left over from their semi annual sale. I had a gift card so it didn't cost me anything, and I just felt like buying something I guess. I haven't really bought anything fun in literally months, only groceries, groceries and more groceries.

I thought I would be happy with fragrance free lotion and just body sprays to fragance myself with but nope, I find that I'm missing the scented body lotions. So I bought some. Actually I think I bought 8. And 3 more spray fragrances. Oops. Oh well. I really feel like I need SOMETHING to enjoy right now. 

Still continuing with Hep and I actually lost another 5lbs last month, so I'm at a total of 45lbs lost. My clothes are getting really baggy but I won't order anything unless I can try it on, and I won't spend an hour or two in the thrift store with a mask on trying on clothes. Actually, I don't know if they'll even allow it, I know Walmart had their fitting rooms closed. So I just put a belt on and wear really baggy clothes. 

I'm fine with where my weight is now, and don't feel the need to lose any more. I didn't actually think I'd get here, but I'm thrilled that I did. But I am still continuing to try to eat healthier. We went to a small get together yesterday and rather than eating a hamburger and chips I ate cut up fruit, chicken breast and some macaroni salad. No cake, doritoes, chips. I still do have that stuff as a treat once in a while, but I definitely am trying to eat healthier most of the time.

I haven't been exercising a ton, working out on the elliptical maybe once a week, but I try to walk several times a day at work on break. And I ordered some vitamins too from iherb to try to keep my immune system strong. I had a physical this past week, it had been over 2 1/2 years and doctor said everything looked good. Of course she ordered lab work and a mammogram, which I may or may not do. But I'm feeling pretty good about my health overall. 

@rnmom 

Holy cannoli -- 45 pounds???  That's amazing!  And it sounds like you're doing it right.  No fad diets or crazy exercise equipment.  Just by making smarter food choices and moving a little more.  That's what will keep the weight from coming back.

Sounds like you took control of the situation and made a few changes that have really made a difference that you can see and feel.

Positive changes in behavior, smarter choices.  And it didn't take that long to lose the weight, did it?

Well, how cool is that? Heart

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

autonomous

having the right or power of self-government

undertaken or carried on without outside control 

existing or capable of existing independently

responding, reacting, or developing independently of the whole

having the freedom to act independently

(in Kantian moral philosophy) acting in accordance with one's moral duty rather than one's desires

@just bee - This is absolutely what we need to get back to. 

@rnmom 

I think that ship has sailed.

I used to lean libertarian but I've been looking at some recent libertarian articles that aren't the least libertarian.  If the libertarians can't make a decent argument in favor of liberty, then I know we're really in trouble.

I can't support their current platform.  I really wish voters would study the platforms, the positions and the policies proposed by their prospective party candidates.  If they would educate themselves on what they're actually voting for they might not vote for it.

But that's not how voters vote.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Brisky 

You mention September 11.  What made that event bearable was the reaction of the people.  They were suddenly more polite and pleasant.  Everyone noticed.

Not the case here.  People are becoming, for lack of a more sensitive term, feral.  Absolutely feral.

@just bee - Yep, people are downright mean and nasty right now. Definitely not "we're in this together".

@rnmom 

This is the problem.  Our society has gone from horizontal-to-vertical to vertical-to-horizontal.

In simple terms, consider that humans are horizontal.  But there has always been, not for all but for some, the desire and motivation to strive for the vertical.  In many cases vertical suggests something spiritual.  The desire to be better, more moral, more just.  To acknowledge that there may be some things more important than ourselves.

Instead, we seem to be slipping.  We are suddenly less vertical.  We are not striving for "better."  We're settling for horizontal because it's easier.

I get very nervous when I hear people say they want to change the world.  It just means they want to run the world.  Into the ground, usually.

An appallingly large segment of our population is functionally illiterate.  We can't even teach our children how to read and write.  Yet this is not part of our national conversation.  Nothing important is part of our current conversation.  

Respected Contributor

That is wierd, we have many people from California moving HERE! We are building constantly...

@rnmom, great job on your weight loss! Sounds like you conquered that battle. Right now there isn't many fun places to shop! Guess belts will come in handy.
I just where black capris and white long sleeve Tee shirts and tennis shoes most the time. It's my go to wardrobe. Sandals in summer. I like simple things.
I am not fashionable☺ I really don't care about what's in... I like comfort!

Yep, people have gotten harder to deal with where we are at too. People are fed up. Misinformation from all sides. It's just strange out there. Understatement! I think and hope things will improve. I have been saying this for so long now... Maybe I don't believe it. Well caves woman is still possible, but what would happen to my pups and cat? DH and Children? I must see this through till the end. Whatever happens in November, our Country will decide and I will deal with it.
That's what I do. Do the best I can do..... I really don't know what will happen.
Right now if it's not knocking at my front door, I am not going to go out looking for Troubles😒
Hange loose everybody or at least try to!
Brisk out for now...Take care!
Respected Contributor

just bee, I am and Independent.I have no affiliations to either party. I have always been independent...
Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

Glad to hear all your good news. I feel it's never been more important to appreciate whatever we can. Thanks for sharing.