Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Autonomous August

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@just bee, it makes me sad to see so many cute and fun little businesses closing. I always looked forward to visiting those type of places on one day getaways. Will no longer be happening I guess. 

@RetRN 

I think we're being forced to frequent the big box stores.  We won't be able to tell one city from another.  Every strip mall will be the same.

@just bee 

@RetRN 

Heck, we'll be lucky if we still have identical strip malls.  

It's online, baby.  Order everything.  Sight unseen.  Never have to leave your home or see another human being again.

We're even getting our pets this way now that the shelters are closed.

@geezerette 

Reminds me that I have to tell you about my new paper-thin tees from China and India that arrived yesterday.

But first we must take WGD out and about...

@just bee 

Speaking of tees and online ordering...

I had no intention of buying anything this month, least of all clothes.  But then I realized it's our state's school tax-free weekend.  That, combined with my credit card rewards, was enough incentive to get me to order three tees that I really don't need quite yet.  But they ended up costing me about $1.15 apiece.  Not bad for what I wear all the time and will need soon enough anyway.

I guess that's one good thing that's come of the current coin shortage and being forced to use credit cards--more reward points.  💰💳

They always convert you with the allure of "free".  But we never stop to think of what we're trading off.🧐

Respected Contributor

Get this, My DH went to pick up a couple items at the grocery store yesterday, of course he had his mask on.
He was in produce when a guy told him quite loudly he wasn't staying 6 feet away from them.
My husband then replied. You are not even wearing a mask and it is Mandated in CO to wear a mask in public. Do we need management?
The man walked away... No mask.
People are crazy!😣 I mean REALLY?
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Get this, My DH went to pick up a couple items at the grocery store yesterday, of course he had his mask on.
He was in produce when a guy told him quite loudly he wasn't staying 6 feet away from them.
My husband then replied. You are not even wearing a mask and it is Mandated in CO to wear a mask in public. Do we need management?

@Brisky 

I wonder sometimes just how many people are still totally confused about this whole thing.

There has been so much misinformation, new information, and backtracking by this-and-that expert, various government officials and tv doctors, and out-and-out conspiracy theorists that I think that's why so many people have gone to whatever extreme they fancy.  And tempers are short.  People are thwarted, scared, and just plain po'd and they're itching to take it out on whoever is closest at the time.

What saddens me is I see my wonderful Western independent, common sensical, tolerant brethren going off the deep end like the rest of the country.  Never thought I'd see that day.  😢

Respected Contributor

Hang in there Geezerette. Many people can see the manipulation and motives of some leaders. Many won't. We can only vote and keep our fingers crossed.
Right now is a bad time in our History.
We will pull through this crud together!😉
Respected Contributor

Common sense is your answer...
Most people I know have it and they WILL vote with that in their minds. I believe our people are smarter than any of us might think.
Hang in there everybody.
Back up plan... Wyoming😳
Respected Contributor

I must add I am STILL watching Dark Shadows!😉
I am in it for a long time.....

You see you answered your own question? It's plainly common sense..
We are the greatest country in the world. There will be a light again. Most people are frightened and worried.
When their is will, we will find it and act..We won't go without a fight... We stand up for all Americans. It's who we truly are. Remember 9/11. Remember we do have the ability to unite when called upon. We know what is right and wrong. We have to trust in our own people... I do.

Ok speech over....
Have a good night everybody☺ Brisk Out

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@just bee, it makes me sad to see so many cute and fun little businesses closing. I always looked forward to visiting those type of places on one day getaways. Will no longer be happening I guess. 

@RetRN 

I think we're being forced to frequent the big box stores.  We won't be able to tell one city from another.  Every strip mall will be the same.

@just bee 

@RetRN 

Heck, we'll be lucky if we still have identical strip malls.  

It's online, baby.  Order everything.  Sight unseen.  Never have to leave your home or see another human being again.

We're even getting our pets this way now that the shelters are closed.

@geezerette 

Reminds me that I have to tell you about my new paper-thin tees from China and India that arrived yesterday.

But first we must take WGD out and about...

@just bee 

Speaking of tees and online ordering...

I had no intention of buying anything this month, least of all clothes.  But then I realized it's our state's school tax-free weekend.  That, combined with my credit card rewards, was enough incentive to get me to order three tees that I really don't need quite yet.  But they ended up costing me about $1.15 apiece.  Not bad for what I wear all the time and will need soon enough anyway.

I guess that's one good thing that's come of the current coin shortage and being forced to use credit cards--more reward points.  💰💳

They always convert you with the allure of "free".  But we never stop to think of what we're trading off.🧐

@geezerette 

Now that's what I would normally pay for a tee shirt.  Instead, I bought shirts from prAna, the company that annoys me.  But I've been washing and wearing their Meme hiking pants for some time now and I have to say they've held up remarkably well.  I thought I'd try a couple shirts since they were having their big end of season sale.

Normally I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole.  The gray shirt is $49.00, on sale for $29.40.  That's way more than I'd ever pay for a shirt.  

But this is not just a longsleeve tee.  This is a shirt that's not only "soft and soothing, but with UPF 30+ sun safety, natural odor-reducing properties, and moisture wicking for active lifestyles."  And it's 55% hemp.  I'm one of the few people who rejects hemp in general but now I can say I have an overpriced hemp tee shirt.

The bee shirt was $29, on sale for $17.40.  Still more than I'd pay for a shirt.  No fancy fabric or magic thread -- it just has a bee on it.  And the biggest tag ever.  Several layers of tag with washing instructions in several languages.  Where are my scissors?

The shirts are "lightweight" which, in my world, means transparent.  But I'll keep them and wear them because I'm looking for a product with some longevity.  Something that will survive more than one machine washing.

They do fit well and they are unusually comfortable.  I really can't feel them on me.  (I told you they were lightweight.)  So we'll see how they hold up.

Oh, and I have to laugh at all the back-to-school sales.  Since New Mexico kids aren't going back to school any time soon.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Another Albuquerque landmark bites the dust.

It will close its doors on Monday.

@just bee - So, so sad. I would comment, but I might just get kicked off the forum.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

autonomous

having the right or power of self-government

undertaken or carried on without outside control 

existing or capable of existing independently

responding, reacting, or developing independently of the whole

having the freedom to act independently

(in Kantian moral philosophy) acting in accordance with one's moral duty rather than one's desires

@just bee - This is absolutely what we need to get back to. 

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:

@Brisky 

Remember when I'd posted that I'd had an unpleasant shopping experience and decided I would only leave the house to go to work and walk the dog?

Well, it was a very similar experience.  I was in line at the checkout and I'd taken all my items out of the cart.  The guy behind me was chatty and asked me about some of the things I was purchasing.  So we started talking.  One thing led to another and I found myself hipping him to The Chocolate Cartel and Van Rixel Bros. gelato and sorbet.  I was so into the conversation that I could not hear the woman in line ahead of me shrieking at me.  You know how those facemasks muffle, right?

Anyway, I finally realized she's shrieking at me because I'd pushed my cart up the line blocking her from the card swiper.  I guess she didn't want to move my cart because it was full of COVID or something.  And then she shrieked that I wasn't six feet away from her.

Judging the reaction of the guy in line behind me and the clerk behind the register, her cheese had slid off its cracker.  Then, as I was helping the clerk bag my purchases and I was placing them in my cart, another store associate ran over me with a very large cart full of merchandise.  The clerk was mortified and apologized.  The one who ran over me did not.  I assured her, anyway, that the injuries would heal -- no worries.

But by the time I left that store I'd decided that I was done.  You mention September 11.  What made that event bearable was the reaction of the people.  They were suddenly more polite and pleasant.  Everyone noticed.

Not the case here.  People are becoming, for lack of a more sensitive term, feral.  Absolutely feral.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~