Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Autonomous August

OK friends, I am leaving for moms house tomorrow morning. We relieved my mothers care and I will remain at my mothers home till she passes.She is going on 83 and she is weak.
I can and will be there for her. She is my mother.
I am very sad but I will not get this part wrong.
Of course I will check in with you all.
Thanks for being there for me.All of you GREAT ladies.

Take care of each other. Stay 😎 Brisk out...
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
OK friends, I am leaving for moms house tomorrow morning. We relieved my mothers care and I will remain at my mothers home till she passes.She is going on 83 and she is weak.

@Brisky 

In times like these, you second guess every decision.  But you're right -- you don't have this one wrong. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brisky wrote:

@Brisky 

💔

We all should be so lucky as to have a person in our lives like you that thinks this way.

It's a very tough situation you find yourself in, but along with the sadness I hope you'll find this time a rewarding one.  Cherish the time you have left with your mother, no matter what her responses, or lack thereof, may be.  These are the last memories you will make.

You are not getting this wrong.

❤️

Respected Contributor

Thanks , I really appreciate you all.
See you later! Take care
Brisk out to spend good times while I can...
Trusted Contributor

Brisko - This will be a hard time for you - But you will not regret doing it.  I wish you luck and peace.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom 

It's downright inspirational! Heart

@just bee - I don't know if I would go that far, but thank you!

@rnmom 

I would!

🎉👍👏

@rnmom 

No, it is inspirational and I'll tell you why.

You inspired me to replace our bathroom scale.  It's been over a year since I've weighed myself.

I lost a lot of weight after the house fire and I regret not weighing myself to find out what I actually weighed because at least I'd have a target weight.

All I know is that my pants were falling down and I had to buy a belt.  And when I went back to work my coworker cried when she saw me because she thought I had a terminal illness.

But it's not the loss of weight that's inspiring -- well, yeah, it is, of course, but what's really inspiring is how you decided to take control at a time when everything else is out of control.

And that's what inspired me to stop drinking beer.  I ran out of Amstel Light on July 20 and went to Total Wine to buy a gift card for someone, but didn't buy any Amstel.  I drank whatever was in the house that BH bought when the governor shut down my only source of Amstel and I had my last beer -- a Stella Artois -- on July 31.

I always told BH that if he stopped drinking beer, I'd stop drinking beer.  And he always said, "If you want to stop drinking beer, you don't have to wait for me."  Well, as it turns out, BH had given up caffeine (when I stopped drinking coffee and switched to tea), then gave up nicotine.  That left cheap domestic light beer.

So he stopped about a week before I did and I just drank what was left in the house.  Except for the four bottles of stout that we use for his chili recipe.

So, yes, you can count yourself as the inspiration for this "major life decision."

Thank you! Heart

P.S. And if this isn't the absolute worst time to give up Amstel, I don't know what is.

@just bee -

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom 

@rnmom 

I would!

🎉👍👏

@rnmom 

You inspired me to replace our bathroom scale.  It's been over a year since I've weighed myself.

I lost a lot of weight after the house fire and I regret not weighing myself to find out what I actually weighed because at least I'd have a target weight.

All I know is that my pants were falling down and I had to buy a belt.  And when I went back to work my coworker cried when she saw me because she thought I had a terminal illness.

But it's not the loss of weight that's inspiring -- well, yeah, it is, of course, but what's really inspiring is how you decided to take control at a time when everything else is out of control.

And that's what inspired me to stop drinking beer.  I ran out of Amstel Light on July 20 and went to Total Wine to buy a gift card for someone, but didn't buy any Amstel.  I drank whatever was in the house that BH bought when the governor shut down my only source of Amstel and I had my last beer -- a Stella Artois -- on July 31.

I always told BH that if he stopped drinking beer, I'd stop drinking beer.  And he always said, "If you want to stop drinking beer, you don't have to wait for me."  Well, as it turns out, BH had given up caffeine (when I stopped drinking coffee and switched to tea), then gave up nicotine.  That left cheap domestic light beer.

So he stopped about a week before I did and I just drank what was left in the house.  Except for the four bottles of stout that we use for his chili recipe.

So, yes, you can count yourself as the inspiration for this "major life decision."

Thank you! Heart

P.S. And if this isn't the absolute worst time to give up Amstel, I don't know what is.

@just bee - Oops, I forgot to actually type a reply before I posted the last reply. Duh.

I am glad that you replaced the bathroom scale. It definitely helps keep me honest. Before I started my diet I hadn't been on the scale in ages, maybe once or twice in the previous 2 years. I seemed to think that if I ignored it, it wasn't really a problem. Except for the fact that I didn't barely have anything to wear because I'd outgrown it all and even my "fat" clothes were tight. 

I actually think that everything that has transpired the past several months has helped me continue losing weight, rather than hinder me, as ridiculous as it sounds. Everything else is out of control for sure, this I can control. Plus, continuous anger is a great motivator to exercise and get in better shape. 

I used to smoke for almost 30 years, quit that in 2016, then switched to e-cigs. They actually helped me quit, but I did that for 3 more years. Finally quit everything in 2019. So between not smoking, losing weight and actually exercising a bit, I'm probably in the best shape I've been in for years. And it's actually been really nice.

I've started taking a few vitamins to help boost my immune system too. Just small steps to try to get a bit healthier.

I cannot believe that you are giving up your Amstel Light! Especially right now! That is amazing! Surprising, but amazing!

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom 

@rnmom 

I would!

🎉👍👏

@rnmom 

Thank you! Heart

@just bee 

@rnmom 

Well, I think you both are deserving of a round of applause!👏👏

I was thinking along somewhat the same lines.  Not only did @rnmom lose an inspirational amount of weight, she did it in a time when most of us were doing the opposite, myself included.  And on top of that, at a time when she feels the lowest.  That's normally when we all let ourselves go, looking for comfort somewhere.

I also have given pretty much all my food vices.  Not because I was so inspired, but because I'd gotten to the point that I felt so bad.  I still feel bad since the food wasn't the actual cause of my discomfort but it was adding to it.  But I'm noticing I'm recovering faster now.  Well, a little faster.  Just like with @rnmom , I'm not going to snap back immediately and I shouldn't expect to.  It took a long time to get this way.  I'm not looking to lose weight or even gain longevity, just be as functional as I can while I'm here.

@geezerette - Yep, I am feeling pretty low right now, but I also am very angry and that anger is fueling my motivation right now. Plus the uncertainty of the future is a factor. It sounds crazy, but I might need to be in a little better shape than I was. I hate exercise, but I've been trying to force myself to do it at least once a week, need to get the heart rate up a bit and work on some cardio if I can. My knee still doesn't hurt so that is a major plus. 

I didn't really notice a big change when I first started this journey either, but I do  more now. It took a while, but I am noticing a difference now in how I feel. I'm still certainly not perfect by any stretch, I eat too much processed stuff, crackers, pasta, yogurt, cereal, etc, etc, etc. But I'm trying to eat more real food and I figure that every little bit helps.

I still rarely have any sweets, once in a great while for a treat. I rarely even crave it anymore. If I do, I will allow myself a small bit of something. I have noticed that if I have something sweet then I seem to want it more. It definitely seems like an addiction and it's usually just better to not have any. But I do sometimes give into the craving. Gotta have some enjoyment rght?

Respected Contributor

@geezerette - I am glad that your nephew is starting to improve and hope that he continues to do better. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Uh-oh.  It looks like the Superintendent of Socorro Consolidated Schools may be out of a job.

He had the audacity to exercise his First Amendment rights and post an opinion on Facebook.

Let's divide into two camps:

Camp 1: Stay home and avoid travel. Keep your kids home from school. Wear fashionable cloth masks. Refuse hydroxychloroquine if you get sick. Take the rushed coronavirus vaccine.

Camp 2: Go out and enjoy life. Send your kids to school. Respect personal space and practice good hygiene. Take hydroxychloroquine if you get the virus and become symptomatic. Refuse the rushed coronavirus vaccine.

He is in Camp 2.  And he supports an immediate start to in-person learning.

Oh, boy.  Here come the death threats!

@just bee 

We're still going for an in-person start.  Then we'll see what happens.  The various school districts have a fairly wide leeway to make their own decisions, though.  But the gov, health officials, and school brass want to at least try in-person.

A niece (up in @rnmom's neck of the woods) has a high school senior.  Their district is offering either all online or traditional, which would mean whatever the district decided was appropriate at the moment.  He opted for all online, which his mother isn't keen on.  She's hoping that he can go back for in-person second semester and have a 'normal' graduation.  Heaven knows what his college experience will be like.

Oh, and while I'm talking about my relatives, an update on the nephew with the virus.  Got an email from him yesterday and he said that was the first day he felt like he had turned the corner.  He said it was rather nasty--kind of like a really bad flu.  Hopefully he'll continue with recovery and that will be the end of it.

@geezerette 

A good update.  (Whew.)

I was exposed to it this week because the patient's parent didn't share that the kid had two positive tests -- and had a third after she was tested by us.

But that's as much as I can say about that.

@just bee - I hope that you continue to stay safe!