Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Adaptable April

Up until this past week I've still been working my regualr job/hours, but starting next week I'll probably be working reduced hours or from home and will be going to the hospital less. Plus we are now supposed to wear a mask all day at work, even sitting in my cubby at my desk. So I will be wearing much less makeup going forward, whether I am at home or at work. 

I have a lot of discoloration on my face that I like to cover up with foundation, but I guess at least if a mask is on you won't be able to see it either. I usually wear my Covergirl foundation to work, but I think I will try some of my mineral powder foundation, just a light layer, and see if it will not rub off as much as the Covergirl and still give me a bit of light coverage. If not, I guess I just won't worry about it. My face will look awful, along with my hair. Everyone is going to be a hot mess pretty soon if this goes on too much longer. 

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl 

Aw. Thank you for your kind thoughts.❤️

I fervently hope that someday you are proven correct.  For all of us. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

@just bee 

Your house looks beautiful. I'm sorry to read there are issues, but I hope they're corrected promptly. To keep the kitchen sink nice, I highly recommend a roll up silicone trivet. I have two, and keep one on the bottom of the sink to help prevent scratches. It's easy to clean, and can even go in the dishwasher. I previously had a metal sink grid and hated it. Also tried a flat plastic protector, but it got too funky too fast. Shop around and check the sizes to find one that fits. I got mine in Home Goods.

trivet.JPG

@Caffeina 

I'll check these out.  I think we'll be buying a lot of bar towels to wipe out that sink every time we use it.

Not the best time to go into stores to shop for things because the current theme is "Shop Alone!"

Ugh.  More online shopping?  I'm so tired of cardboard boxes... I wish I knew someone who was moving and needed them.

@just bee 

Just when we thought we were getting a handle on buying locally.

It's all a giant conspiracy to drive us all crazy.  

And it's working.🤪

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

@just bee 

Your house looks beautiful. I'm sorry to read there are issues, but I hope they're corrected promptly. To keep the kitchen sink nice, I highly recommend a roll up silicone trivet. I have two, and keep one on the bottom of the sink to help prevent scratches. It's easy to clean, and can even go in the dishwasher. I previously had a metal sink grid and hated it. Also tried a flat plastic protector, but it got too funky too fast. Shop around and check the sizes to find one that fits. I got mine in Home Goods.

trivet.JPG

@Caffeina 

I'll check these out.  I think we'll be buying a lot of bar towels to wipe out that sink every time we use it.

Not the best time to go into stores to shop for things because the current theme is "Shop Alone!"

Ugh.  More online shopping?  I'm so tired of cardboard boxes... I wish I knew someone who was moving and needed them.

@just bee 

Just when we thought we were getting a handle on buying locally.

It's all a giant conspiracy to drive us all crazy.  

And it's working.🤪

@geezerette 

Are they trying to eliminate the neighborhood small business?  It's eerie seeing empty parking lots and closed strip malls.  

What's even more strange is that the businesses that are open are urging customers to stay away.  I heard one on the radio yesterday saying, This is not a family outing!  This is not recreation!

Yes, he appreciates a customer's business, but he wants one person in and out -- fast.  This is not an amusement park!  Leave the kids at home!

We're living in a different world.

Don't shop.  Don't go to church.  Don't mix and mingle.  Stay away from your neighbor.  Don't go to work.  Don't touch.

Don't even touch yourself.

No wonder Italy was hit so hard.  You can't tell people to stop living.

Or maybe you can.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I haven't been inside a grocery store lately because they're really trying to enforce the "shop alone" policy.  I asked BH if the plexiglass barriers had gone up between the customer and cashier.  He said yes.

My question is this: Are these and other changes we've implemented going to be permanent going forward?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee @rnmom I've commented before about wanting to downsize into a sort-of-tiny house. But being home with everyone has made me appreciate our house. I just wish we didn't have to work so much to pay for a big mortgage. Our house has enough spaces for the 4 of us to be in our own area. We have a yard and a covered patio so we can use that as a living space too. I think that is how we have not gotten sick of each other yet. Everyone retreats into their space at some point, even the dog. Only the cat has been my little shadow.

We have a rule that the kids can't use their cell phones and laptops in their bedrooms. They need to be out in the open so we can monitor them. However, that rule has been adapted. The kids are actually talking on their phones to friends now so DH sent DD into her room because she was so loud. LOL! She was shocked. 

@Oshare-girl 

This house, which used to feel normal to me, now feels rather "grand."  Doesn't help that, without carpet and furniture, it echoes now.  It's like walking through a cathedral with these high ceilings.

We'll get used to it.  But it's odd being back in a house where you can lose the other person and dog.  In the rental I could either see or hear where the other was because the house was so small.

But the dog now has his big (headache of a) backyard to run after a frisbee.  A good thing.

Nothing in life is perfect.  But it's probably better to have a little room to grow, stretch and, sometimes, escape.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I haven't been inside a grocery store lately because they're really trying to enforce the "shop alone" policy.  I asked BH if the plexiglass barriers had gone up between the customer and cashier.  He said yes.

My question is this: Are these and other changes we've implemented going to be permanent going forward?

@just bee 

The $64,000 question.

I was thinking about Walmart's new rules about limiting the number of people in their stores at one time.  Some aspects of that actually sound good.  No idiots in my face or people blocking the now one-way aisles.  And wondered if after they crunched all their numbers, the executives found this to be a good thing.  Fewer employees to hire.  Less wages and benefits to pay.  Less mess to clean up.  More control.

That actually might work for a while.  But after this gets to be just something else in the past, I highly doubt businesses will actually be encouraging their customers not to buy stuff.  That is, unless the government (uh, their customers) continues to subsidize them.

Or it might not even last until the worst is over.  People aren't paying attention to most of the orders, mandates, whatever each state is calling them, right now.  

We may all end up criminals one day for unwittingly being that eleventh person in a group.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee @rnmom I've commented before about wanting to downsize into a sort-of-tiny house. But being home with everyone has made me appreciate our house. I just wish we didn't have to work so much to pay for a big mortgage. Our house has enough spaces for the 4 of us to be in our own area. We have a yard and a covered patio so we can use that as a living space too. I think that is how we have not gotten sick of each other yet. Everyone retreats into their space at some point, even the dog. Only the cat has been my little shadow.

We have a rule that the kids can't use their cell phones and laptops in their bedrooms. They need to be out in the open so we can monitor them. However, that rule has been adapted. The kids are actually talking on their phones to friends now so DH sent DD into her room because she was so loud. LOL! She was shocked. 

@Oshare-girl 

This house, which used to feel normal to me, now feels rather "grand."  Doesn't help that, without carpet and furniture, it echoes now.  It's like walking through a cathedral with these high ceilings.

We'll get used to it.  But it's odd being back in a house where you can lose the other person and dog.  In the rental I could either see or hear where the other was because the house was so small.

But the dog now has his big (headache of a) backyard to run after a frisbee.  A good thing.

Nothing in life is perfect.  But it's probably better to have a little room to grow, stretch and, sometimes, escape.

@just bee 

After you get used to it a bit, it will be a good thing.  This isolation is not going away soon.  Having more space, even empty space will help.  

Although I wonder if one of the offshoots of this whole thing will be a dramatic drop in population.  Maybe we'll all take social distancing to the extreme.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

If anything, this situation has really made it crystal clear that I can really live on much less, especially when it comes to makeup and skincare. I'm happy to be using things up and am looking forward to a very curated stash of products in the future.

@Oshare-girl 

I thought at first that maybe this virus crisis was a worldwide ComPacting project, but when I saw people hoarding toilet paper and canned meat I decided it wasn't.

I've felt weird for months because there was so much that we'd lost.  But now that we've had to move what we do have and some of it is coming out of boxes and we're trying to find places to put it, it feels even more weird.

I opened a box that had some tins.  I lost most of my tins but I seem to have saved three Milk-Bone tins.  

image.png

image.png

And that reminds me that I'd had some metal signs.  Like this one:

image.png

I don't even give my dog Milk-Bone (although, before the virus, he would snag one or two at Total Wine, his favorite store).

I'd had the tins on top of the kitchen cabinets with the ceramic chickens and other items, like baskets.  (I lost all the baskets and I had a lot of them.)

I'm not sure I want that much on the cupboards.  I'll have to see which chickens survived and how they look up there.

But I was so upset to lose all those tins and now I'm wondering why I have the ones I kept.

Once your collections shrink, it gets easier to adjust to less.  I haven't put all my toiletries where they'll finally be, but I won't have -- and will never have -- a linen closet full of bottles and jars again.

And that will be nice.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee 

The $64,000 question.

I was thinking about Walmart's new rules about limiting the number of people in their stores at one time.  Some aspects of that actually sound good.  No idiots in my face or people blocking the now one-way aisles.  And wondered if after they crunched all their numbers, the executives found this to be a good thing.  Fewer employees to hire.  Less wages and benefits to pay.  Less mess to clean up.  More control.

That actually might work for a while.  But after this gets to be just something else in the past, I highly doubt businesses will actually be encouraging their customers not to buy stuff.  That is, unless the government (uh, their customers) continues to subsidize them.

Or it might not even last until the worst is over.  People aren't paying attention to most of the orders, mandates, whatever each state is calling them, right now.  

We may all end up criminals one day for unwittingly being that eleventh person in a group.

@geezerette 

Don't get me started.  We're releasing people from jail -- in fact, we're not even arresting criminals -- but we are, for some bizarre reason, patrolling neighborhoods, looking for that extra person in a group.  And we're threatening them with jail time!

Has our cheese slid completely off its cracker?