Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Adaptable April

@geezerette wrote:

If your kids are running out of things to do, you might want to check your local online resources.  My niece is the children's librarian at her local library and she's been doing online videos for various projects for kids of all ages.  She has a theme going: crafts using all those toilet paper rolls we have nowadays! 🤣  It's neat for me to be able to 'see' her more often.

@geezerette 

Now that's a cool job!

Has she thought about reading to the kids online?  My favorite teachers -- even my favorite college professors -- read to the students.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

If your kids are running out of things to do, you might want to check your local online resources.  My niece is the children's librarian at her local library and she's been doing online videos for various projects for kids of all ages.  She has a theme going: crafts using all those toilet paper rolls we have nowadays! 🤣  It's neat for me to be able to 'see' her more often.

@geezerette 

Now that's a cool job!

Has she thought about reading to the kids online?  My favorite teachers -- even my favorite college professors -- read to the students.

@just bee 

Oh, yes.  She's doing that too.  She's a school librarian ('media teacher', or something similar is what they're called now) and also works at the library.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette 

Now you've got me thinking about my sixth grade teacher.  She always read to us and introduced us to this John Christopher series:

image.png

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette -yes, it will definitely help to start warming up a bit. We do have some acreage and a lake, so we're looking forward to getting out and doing some fishing. Today is supposed to be pretty nice, in the 50's and sunny, so I'm hoping to get out a bit later. 

I am very glad that I have been able to continue dieting and not start eating again. I think the only thing that has saved me is that I had already been in this mode for a couple of months before it all hit so I had kinda gotten into a routine. Trying to start and make changes now, among all the stress, would be impossible.

Plus I think that I feel like it's still one thing that I can control, when everything else is so out of control. I can at least control what I put in my mouth. 

Thank you for your kind words, you guys really are the best.

@rnmom 

Aw, don't be too hard on yourself.  Everybody's under pressure now and going through unprecedented territory.  You don't have your usual outlets to relieve it, along with fewer distractions.  And heck, it's all you hear everywhere!  It's really hard not to get depressed and angry when you see and hear people that are smarter than us (or at least you hope they'd be) only talking gloom and doom 24/7.

It does sound like you have a handle on your diet, so you can concentrate on your success in that area.  And how much better you feel.  And how much more you'll be able to enjoy yourself when you can get back out again, compared to how you felt with all those extra pounds.  

@rnmom 

Are there any around-the-house projects that need to be done?  Painting a room?  Refinishing an old piece of furniture?  Repotting the plants?  (I want to plant a tree but we're taking new landscaping slowly.)

Any photos that need to go in an album? 

Are the kids helping with meal prep?  I'm trying to think of group projects...  

@just bee - I do have a bedroom that I want to paint, it's my son's old room since he moved down into the basement last summer. It's blue and I just want to paint it a neutral color.

I actually went downstairs yesterday and found almost a full gallon of an ivory colored paint, so I don't even have to go to the store to get more. I work today then have 5 days off, I think that will be my project. 

I would like to start puttering outside, but it needs to be just a bit warmer. The boys have been planting a garden the last few years, but it needs to be a bit warmer and drier, it's really wet here. That helps give them something to do. 

I do want to make a photo collage, I have a frame here and haven't taken the time to go thru pictures for it. The boys might like doing that too, helping me pick out pictures.

They are not really into cooking/meal prep. I wish. 

I would still like to work on cleaning out hubby's pole barn too, we never got to that because it rained the whole weekend we were going to do it. No, the weather really hasn't been helping with this whole stay at home junk. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette -yes, it will definitely help to start warming up a bit. We do have some acreage and a lake, so we're looking forward to getting out and doing some fishing. Today is supposed to be pretty nice, in the 50's and sunny, so I'm hoping to get out a bit later. 

I am very glad that I have been able to continue dieting and not start eating again. I think the only thing that has saved me is that I had already been in this mode for a couple of months before it all hit so I had kinda gotten into a routine. Trying to start and make changes now, among all the stress, would be impossible.

Plus I think that I feel like it's still one thing that I can control, when everything else is so out of control. I can at least control what I put in my mouth. 

@rnmom 

Aw, don't be too hard on yourself.  Everybody's under pressure now and going through unprecedented territory.  You don't have your usual outlets to relieve it, along with fewer distractions.  And heck, it's all you hear everywhere!  It's really hard not to get depressed and angry when you see and hear people that are smarter than us (or at least you hope they'd be) only talking gloom and doom 24/7.

It does sound like you have a handle on your diet, so you can concentrate on your success in that area.  And how much better you feel.  And how much more you'll be able to enjoy yourself when you can get back out again, compared to how you felt with all those extra pounds.  

@rnmom 

Are there any around-the-house projects that need to be done?  Painting a room?  Refinishing an old piece of furniture?  Repotting the plants?  (I want to plant a tree but we're taking new landscaping slowly.)

@just bee - I do have a bedroom that I want to paint, it's my son's old room since he moved down into the basement last summer. It's blue and I just want to paint it a neutral color.

I actually went downstairs yesterday and found almost a full gallon of an ivory colored paint, so I don't even have to go to the store to get more. I work today then have 5 days off, I think that will be my project. 

I would like to start puttering outside, but it needs to be just a bit warmer. The boys have been planting a garden the last few years, but it needs to be a bit warmer and drier, it's really wet here. That helps give them something to do. 

I do want to make a photo collage, I have a frame here and haven't taken the time to go thru pictures for it. The boys might like doing that too, helping me pick out pictures.

I would still like to work on cleaning out hubby's pole barn too, we never got to that because it rained the whole weekend we were going to do it. No, the weather really hasn't been helping with this whole stay at home junk. 

@rnmom 

I was going to suggest that as a good project for your husband and boys.  I know it's been bothering you for a while.  And it would get them out of the house (and your hair!) for a bit.

Our weather has been atrocious for months too.  Rain and gloom.  I think we had one whole day in March that was sunny all day.  It seems like it's been like that for the last few years, really.  And the fronts coming in one on top of another are killing my head.  I wouldn't know if I had the virus or not, I've been feeling so crummy.  And now the pollen is hitting.  Oy!🤕🤧😷🥴

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

@rnmom 

@rnmom 

I was thinking about a garden and I'm glad to hear they're interested in that.  Weather will begin cooperating soon.  What kinds of things are they growing?

Food prep can be fun.  They can start with something like a taco bar.  Chop up whatever they like on their tacos and create their bar.  

Ivory sounds like the perfect neutral.  Sounds like you've got plenty to do to keep busy.  By the end of this, you and the house will have a whole new look!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

@rnmom 

@rnmom 

I was going to suggest that as a good project for your husband and boys.  I know it's been bothering you for a while.  And it would get them out of the house (and your hair!) for a bit.

Our weather has been atrocious for months too.  Rain and gloom.  I think we had one whole day in March that was sunny all day.  It seems like it's been like that for the last few years, really.  And the fronts coming in one on top of another are killing my head.  I wouldn't know if I had the virus or not, I've been feeling so crummy.  And now the pollen is hitting.  Oy!🤕🤧😷🥴

@geezerette 

@rnmom 

It's spring here which means wind, wind and more wind.

I don't like wind.  Makes me irritable. Woman Frustrated

And it stirs up whatever it is people are allergic to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A small bright spot:  my first hummingbird arrived early this morning!  And boy, was he hungry!  

This is about two weeks earlier than we had been getting them up until a couple of years ago.  Glad I put a feeder up early.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

A small bright spot:  my first hummingbird arrived early this morning!  And boy, was he hungry!  

This is about two weeks earlier than we had been getting them up until a couple of years ago.  Glad I put a feeder up early.

@geezerette 

I'm happy, yet sick with jealousy.  Most of what attracted hummers to our yard is gone now so I'll have to start thinking about replacing our landscaping to get them back.

I loved the way they'd greet me when I was out watering.  Fly inches from my face, hover and glare.

We removed the skylight on our patio so BH wouldn't have to climb the ladder to rescue them.  Dumb design...

Honored Contributor

image.png