Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Adaptable April

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I haven't been inside a grocery store lately because they're really trying to enforce the "shop alone" policy.  I asked BH if the plexiglass barriers had gone up between the customer and cashier.  He said yes.

My question is this: Are these and other changes we've implemented going to be permanent going forward?

@just bee 

The $64,000 question.

I was thinking about Walmart's new rules about limiting the number of people in their stores at one time.  Some aspects of that actually sound good.  No idiots in my face or people blocking the now one-way aisles.  And wondered if after they crunched all their numbers, the executives found this to be a good thing.  Fewer employees to hire.  Less wages and benefits to pay.  Less mess to clean up.  More control.

That actually might work for a while.  But after this gets to be just something else in the past, I highly doubt businesses will actually be encouraging their customers not to buy stuff.  That is, unless the government (uh, their customers) continues to subsidize them.

Or it might not even last until the worst is over.  People aren't paying attention to most of the orders, mandates, whatever each state is calling them, right now.  

We may all end up criminals one day for unwittingly being that eleventh person in a group.

@geezerette 

Don't get me started.  We're releasing people from jail -- in fact, we're not even arresting criminals -- but we are, for some bizarre reason, patrolling neighborhoods, looking for that extra person in a group.  And we're threatening them with jail time!

Has our cheese slid completely off its cracker?

@just bee 

I have no reply.  Well, actually I do have several, but I'm now censoring myself everywhere. 

My worst nightmares are now becoming reality.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Up until this past week I've still been working my regualr job/hours, but starting next week I'll probably be working reduced hours or from home and will be going to the hospital less. Plus we are now supposed to wear a mask all day at work, even sitting in my cubby at my desk. So I will be wearing much less makeup going forward, whether I am at home or at work. 

I have a lot of discoloration on my face that I like to cover up with foundation, but I guess at least if a mask is on you won't be able to see it either. I usually wear my Covergirl foundation to work, but I think I will try some of my mineral powder foundation, just a light layer, and see if it will not rub off as much as the Covergirl and still give me a bit of light coverage. If not, I guess I just won't worry about it. My face will look awful, along with my hair. Everyone is going to be a hot mess pretty soon if this goes on too much longer. 

@rnmom 

I had a similar dilemma.  When I worked in a semiconductor cleanroom and wore a mask 12 hours a day, I did not wear makeup.  I obeyed the cleanroom rules.

BH and I joke about that, too.  We met, became friends then started dating and he was seeing me as-is.

But now I'm not so sure I want to go to work without some makeup.  Part of that is I've always considered Lumene CC cream to be cosmetic + skin care.  My skin is better, I think, with it.

It seems to stay put -- even with a mask in place for 12 and a half hours.

Why am I fretting?  We probably won't even have masks when I go back to work this week! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl 

@just bee 

I've also thought that the world has been forced into the Compact.  Ubiquitous minimalism.

But I also agree that I'm discovering I really had no idea how much I was still retaining while thinking that I had gotten down to basics.  Outside of food and toilet paper, I've still got a multitude of things that I don't really need.  I think that's why I can't shake this blah feeling of not being able to motivate myself to keep much up around here.  So much is just not necessary.

But then I think about moving into a small home with a tiny yard and I start getting claustrophobic.😬

Although, I might not have a choice if I wait too long.   Dr. Zhivago...😳🎶

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I haven't been inside a grocery store lately because they're really trying to enforce the "shop alone" policy.  I asked BH if the plexiglass barriers had gone up between the customer and cashier.  He said yes.

My question is this: Are these and other changes we've implemented going to be permanent going forward?

@just bee 

The $64,000 question.

I was thinking about Walmart's new rules about limiting the number of people in their stores at one time.  Some aspects of that actually sound good.  No idiots in my face or people blocking the now one-way aisles.  And wondered if after they crunched all their numbers, the executives found this to be a good thing.  Fewer employees to hire.  Less wages and benefits to pay.  Less mess to clean up.  More control.

That actually might work for a while.  But after this gets to be just something else in the past, I highly doubt businesses will actually be encouraging their customers not to buy stuff.  That is, unless the government (uh, their customers) continues to subsidize them.

Or it might not even last until the worst is over.  People aren't paying attention to most of the orders, mandates, whatever each state is calling them, right now.  

We may all end up criminals one day for unwittingly being that eleventh person in a group.

@geezerette 

Don't get me started.  We're releasing people from jail -- in fact, we're not even arresting criminals -- but we are, for some bizarre reason, patrolling neighborhoods, looking for that extra person in a group.  And we're threatening them with jail time!

@just bee 

I have no reply.  Well, actually I do have several, but I'm now censoring myself everywhere. 

@geezerette 

I was hoping I'd never live to see it, but I feel like George Orwell is somewhere, feeling quite right.

I think about my father, my stepfather, my mother and my sister.  As much as I miss them, I think they are happy they aren't here.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

Up until this past week I've still been working my regualr job/hours, but starting next week I'll probably be working reduced hours or from home and will be going to the hospital less. Plus we are now supposed to wear a mask all day at work, even sitting in my cubby at my desk. So I will be wearing much less makeup going forward, whether I am at home or at work. 

I have a lot of discoloration on my face that I like to cover up with foundation, but I guess at least if a mask is on you won't be able to see it either. I usually wear my Covergirl foundation to work, but I think I will try some of my mineral powder foundation, just a light layer, and see if it will not rub off as much as the Covergirl and still give me a bit of light coverage. If not, I guess I just won't worry about it. My face will look awful, along with my hair. Everyone is going to be a hot mess pretty soon if this goes on too much longer. 

@rnmom 

I had a similar dilemma.  When I worked in a semiconductor cleanroom and wore a mask 12 hours a day, I did not wear makeup.  I obeyed the cleanroom rules.

BH and I joke about that, too.  We met, became friends then started dating and he was seeing me as-is.

But now I'm not so sure I want to go to work without some makeup.  Part of that is I've always considered Lumene CC cream to be cosmetic + skin care.  My skin is better, I think, with it.

Why am I fretting?  We probably won't even have masks when I go back to work this week! Woman LOL

@just bee 

Yep! 😂

Just like all the governments requiring masks now.  Yeah, now that nobody can find them anywhere for any price.

Your tax dollars at work...

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Oshare-girl 

@just bee 

I've also thought that the world has been forced into the Compact.  Ubiquitous minimalism.

But I also agree that I'm discovering I really had no idea how much I was still retaining while thinking that I had gotten down to basics.  Outside of food and toilet paper, I've still got a multitude of things that I don't really need.  I think that's why I can't shake this blah feeling of not being able to motivate myself to keep much up around here.  So much is just not necessary.

But then I think about moving into a small home with a tiny yard and I start getting claustrophobic.😬

Although, I might not have a choice if I wait too long.   Dr. Zhivago...😳🎶

@geezerette 

I certainly hope my new roommates are handy with tools and like to garden.

But I doubt that will be the case.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee 

The $64,000 question.

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I was hoping I'd never live to see it, but I feel like George Orwell is somewhere, feeling quite right.

I think about my father, my stepfather, my mother and my sister.  As much as I miss them, I think they are happy they aren't here.

@just bee 

Exactly.

I've been questioning'why' for two years now.  And I think I finally got the answer.  If the OG had been here for this, he'd already be incarcerated by now.  Better to go out on his own terms.

My question now is, why me?  What did I do that was so bad that I have to go through this and what's to come?  Actually, I think I know.  I've had a really cushy life.  Everyone has some period in their lives that they go through rough times.  I guess mine is now.

I just wish it would'nt have waited until I was old.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

@just bee 

Yep! 😂

Just like all the governments requiring masks now.  Yeah, now that nobody can find them anywhere for any price.

Your tax dollars at work...

@geezerette 

Hey!  Maybe we could have used those thin plastic bags as masks!

Honored Contributor

Since the sun is actually out for the first time in eons, I'd best get the dog out and feed my birdies.

Speaking of dogs, @just bee are you guys still allowed to go to your parks? Or will WGD have to be content to reacquaint himself with his own backyard?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee 

The $64,000 question.

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Exactly.

I've been questioning'why' for two years now.  And I think I finally got the answer.  If the OG had been here for this, he'd already be incarcerated by now.  Better to go out on his own terms.

My question now is, why me?  What did I do that was so bad that I have to go through this and what's to come?  Actually, I think I know.  I've had a really cushy life.  Everyone has some period in their lives that they go through rough times.  I guess mine is now.

I just wish it would'nt have waited until I was old.

@geezerette 

If my family members were living through this now -- in fact, if they had lived through the past few years -- they would have already quarantined themselves ages ago.  I'd be slipping food under the door.

Our plumber says we're headed for another depression.  My parents lived through the Great Depression.  What will ours be?  The Not-so-Great Depression?

I hate to whine and ask, why me?

But seriously, why me?  I never signed up for this.