Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Adaptable April

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

One more thing and I will move on. The new normal, why are we accepting this as the new normal.  That is all you hear people say.  Now we are going to accept whatever that is without question.   Where are the hippies when you need them?

@aprilskies -OMG yes! If I hear one more person say "new normal" I think I'll scream! I have no intention of accepting this as my new normal. That implies that this will be the way things are from here on out, forever and ever. Seriously? So the kids will never go back to school, we'll never be allowed to go out to eat, go to a sports event, etc for the rest of our lives? I don't think so. I would definitely expect revolution in that case. 

@rnmom 

The key word here is normal.  The powers-that-be have had an issue with normal for a very long time and have been successfully normalizing the abnormal for decades.  If you have a problem with that, you're the one who's abnormal.

I don't support a marijuana dispensary on every corner.  But hey -- that's normal.

I can't buy a 12-pack of Amstel Light, but I can go buy marijuana.  Personally, that's why I think our house is so messed up.  These contractors are smoking too much dope.

But criticize the "benefits" of weed and you're the pariah.  I used to be a Libertarian.  I believed that a person should be able to do whatever they pleased inside his or her home AS LONG AS IT DIDN'T HARM ANYONE ELSE.

Well, I'm not convinced this isn't harming anyone.  It starts slow.  Cancer patients who need a little something to stimulate their appetite.  Okay.  Now the majority of my psych patients have medical marijuana cards.  Is it helping them?  They think so.  But they're stoned.

@just bee

You sure got that nailed.  

I was the same way: live and let live.  That was back when I was still naive enough to think that everyone had enough brain cells to be able to make cognizant decisions for themselves, and could afford to lose a few along the way if they chose to smoke them.  

Many here battled medical marijuana for years.  They finally lost.  I live in a dry county and have to drive over an hour to get a bottle of wine, but if I had an in with my doc I could get stoned instead.

A few years ago I thought I was turning more conservative.  Then I realized I haven't really drastically changed my views in about forty years.  I feel like a dinosaur today.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

One more thing and I will move on. The new normal, why are we accepting this as the new normal.  That is all you hear people say.  Now we are going to accept whatever that is without question.   Where are the hippies when you need them?

@aprilskies -OMG yes! If I hear one more person say "new normal" I think I'll scream! I have no intention of accepting this as my new normal. That implies that this will be the way things are from here on out, forever and ever. Seriously? So the kids will never go back to school, we'll never be allowed to go out to eat, go to a sports event, etc for the rest of our lives? I don't think so. I would definitely expect revolution in that case. 

@rnmom 

The key word here is normal.  The powers-that-be have had an issue with normal for a very long time and have been successfully normalizing the abnormal for decades.  If you have a problem with that, you're the one who's abnormal.

I don't support a marijuana dispensary on every corner.  But hey -- that's normal.

I can't buy a 12-pack of Amstel Light, but I can go buy marijuana.  Personally, that's why I think our house is so messed up.  These contractors are smoking too much dope.

But criticize the "benefits" of weed and you're the pariah.  I used to be a Libertarian.  I believed that a person should be able to do whatever they pleased inside his or her home AS LONG AS IT DIDN'T HARM ANYONE ELSE.

Well, I'm not convinced this isn't harming anyone.  It starts slow.  Cancer patients who need a little something to stimulate their appetite.  Okay.  Now the majority of my psych patients have medical marijuana cards.  Is it helping them?  They think so.  But they're stoned.

@just bee

You sure got that nailed.  

I was the same way: live and let live.  That was back when I was still naive enough to think that everyone had enough brain cells to be able to make cognizant decisions for themselves, and could afford to lose a few along the way if they chose to smoke them.  

Many here battled medical marijuana for years.  They finally lost.  I live in a dry county and have to drive over an hour to get a bottle of wine, but if I had an in with my doc I could get stoned instead.

A few years ago I thought I was turning more conservative.  Then I realized I haven't really drastically changed my views in about forty years.  I feel like a dinosaur today.

@geezerette 

I believe that it's important for individuals to regularly check their values against their chosen political party.  Libertarians are pretty clear about what they believe in.  Unfortunately, the Party is split between those who value personal responsibility and those who want a free-for-all.

Libertarianism cannot work without personal responsibility.  Since there is very little of that, the philosophy cannot succeed.  I had to give it up.  And my opinions (values?) drifted away from the platform on a few issues.

image.png

image.png

We are not dinosaurs.  We are philosoraptors.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Did I mention that it rained and snowed all day today?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Hey, y'all. Love reading all your posts, and I appreciate where everyone is coming from. We really are living in interesting, not-always-so-fun, times, right? I wish each of you well. 

I'm happily snuggling down for more weeks of isolation. Everyone I know is working from home or retired or happy to have their jobs, including me. It's been 5 weeks tomorrow since I left home. I'm grateful that my state acted early and aggressively (yes, we have to wear masks if we go out) because it's working. 

Also appreciative that I have a tiny patio and garden area, occasionaly some sunshine, and as much as I need of everything else. Well, less money, but it goes farther now with less temptation. But I found a local nursery that now delivers. They're like cows at milking time--so full and so happy to have it taken.

I had a strange flu in late December into January. I was pretty sick and pretty low, and now I wonder if I actually had the new virus. No way to tell b/c there are no tests for anyone not currently sick. Wish I knew though--if I did, what a waste of a good immunity! I could be volunteering about six different places. That would be spiffy.

My diet is a bit random these days, but I belong to a farm collective and get a nice box of veg every other week. Everything else goes well as long as I have veggies! And today, my daughter dropped off a 1/2 lb of butter, a pint of cream and 3 avocados from her tree. So I'm in fat city. Figuratively and literally. Hey, you make the toast and I'll pour the wine!

Trusted Contributor

Count me out for Tiger King. Very far out. 

Trusted Contributor

@just bee Actually, I like your list very much. We are a global family of humans living on a lovely planet together and it's time we started to appreciate it. We're all different but all alike. Give the pols and warlords a time out in the corner, so we can enjoy ourselves!

I read that the pollution in Delhi and Harbin has dropped to near nil since the shelter order. And that the ocean has started to clear. Where I am, the air isn't so bad, but the normal noise is ferocious, and today it sounds like Sunday dawn instead of Monday rush hour. What a blessing.

Call me a Pollyanna if you like, but I'm a big fan of paying attention to the best thing I can manage at any given moment. Sometimes it's pretty small, but still, there's always someting. I bet that Pollyanna had a heppy life!

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, Bee, quick, break something! I always love that first scratch on a new car, so I can relax.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies Ooh, Limoncello! How about a chilled glass of dry white vermouth with a splash of Limoncello for a summer happy hour? One of my faves.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies @rnmom That made me laugh! But seriously, why does there have to be a "normal" at all? We're each a bit different, and I'm different from year to year all by myself, so what's the point of picking one way, calling it normal, and wanting everyone to be like that. Amiright?

Respected Contributor

Hello Everybody, Very late to post in the Month. I hope you are all doing ok. I am adapting to all my family being home, almost 24/7. Two big dogs and of course Eros. IT STINKS!
@geezerette, I noticed you risked your life to buy Carla
Dog snacks and looking at toys for her. No surprise to me.☺
@justbee, your photos of your home look nice to me.
We can't see the flaws. I think everything will fall into place after awhile. When all is new it takes awhile to adapt. It will grow on you.
Yes, my willow will get a trim this year. If it disappeared my whole neighborhood would definitely notice. It is a giant globe. Full bloom right now. But last night we dropped to freezing!

@KaySD, welcome into the thread. It's a good one!

To everybody here, take care..... Stay safe and we will pull through this crud... Feeling quiet here in April.
That will pass too... Brisk out for the night....