Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

We did something we generally don't do.  We drove across town and shopped at Whole Foods.  Actually, I stayed in the car with the dog, and BH ran inside to pick up some fish for dinner.

I admit that I don't think I'd ever had barramundi.  Now I have.

Will have it again tonight.  I prefer a "firm" fish and this one is that.

But cooking on an electric range has BH on edge.  It will be nice to go back to gas.

@geezerette 

How's the new set-up working out?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Balloon Fiesta

26 days

23 hours

7 minutes

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

We did something we generally don't do.  We drove across town and shopped at Whole Foods.  Actually, I stayed in the car with the dog, and BH ran inside to pick up some fish for dinner.

I admit that I don't think I'd ever had barramundi.  Now I have.

Will have it again tonight.  I prefer a "firm" fish and this one is that.

But cooking on an electric range has BH on edge.  It will be nice to go back to gas.

@geezerette 

How's the new set-up working out?

@just bee 

If you’re referring to my new ovens—meh.  

Both the microwave and regular oven are much smaller than the old ones.  (Not that that matters to me.)  I’ve only tried the regular oven once, but it seems to not be as hot as the old one.  I put a thermometer in for the next time I use it.

The microwave s*cks.  Instead of being able to push one or two buttons, I have to push, then dial in several settings, then push again.  Six or seven steps as opposed to one or two, just to get a minute or two of heat.  Stupid.  (Right now I’m punching the “add 30 seconds” feature three or four times instead😄.)  But, it might be because the buttons were wearing out, as you mentioned, that it was redesigned.  I told my sister about it and she mentioned that her new toaster oven does the same thing (she hates it too), so it seems to be an industry-wide design.  

It doesn’t really matter in the larger scheme of things, just little annoyances that I’ll eventually get used to,  

But, both ovens have a convection option so that when I have all my big Thanksgiving dinner parties I can cook my huge turkey in the lower oven while my pumpkin pies bake in the microwave portion. 🤣🤣  Not!!!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

And this is why I dread buying new appliances.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

And I didn’t even mention the fact that for all these added inconveniences I paid at least three times what we paid thirteen years ago for the old ones.

But I was having to deal with a built-in situation.  If you’re getting free-standing units, you have a much wider choice.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

And I didn’t even mention the fact that for all these added inconveniences I paid at least three times what we paid thirteen years ago for the old ones.

But I was having to deal with a built-in situation.  If you’re getting free-standing units, you have a much wider choice.

@geezerette 

Do you remember the Robertshaw ovens and cooktops we grew up with?  I'm 99% sure that the one in my stepdad's house was the original model.  He bought the house after WW2 and it was sold in 2003 or 2004.

I wonder what happened to that oven.  It was still working.

Honored Contributor

I've SIMPLIFIED my peanut butter search.  It is as I suspected.  Peanut butters -- Adams, Smucker's. Laura Scudder's and Santa Cruz Organics -- are all made by the same company: Smucker's.

So, by searching all over and taste-tasting each product to find the right peanut butter, I have just proved that I am a real... "smuck."

I'll buy whatever's most affordable.  SIMPLE.

Honored Contributor

Time to get this dog out.  It hasn't rained so I'll have to head to the house to water.

That yard's bringing me down. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee  

@geezerette 

Do you remember the Robertshaw ovens and cooktops we grew up with?  I'm 99% sure that the one in my stepdad's house was the original model.  He bought the house after WW2 and it was sold in 2003 or 2004.

I wonder what happened to that oven.  It was still working.

@just bee 

Not that brand.  (We were lucky to afford Sears.)  But the general style, of course.  No self-cleaning oven, no auto-shutoff, no timer—I’m not even sure if the oven had a light.  Having to light the pilot light—!  Turn the knob, gingerly put a match close to the burner, wait, wait, then, when you least expect it—Poof!  The flame bursts into being.  I’m still scared to light pilot lights!  😳

We had to watch every very penny in those days, but I had an aunt who took the prize in being frugal.  She would take a can of vegetables out in the morning, set it on top of the stove over the pilot light area, and leave it all day.  By dinner time the veggies were just warm enough to eat.  She saved on gas for the stove burner and water and dish soap by not saving to use and wash a sauce pan to heat them!  🤣  Funny now (and then), but things were that tight.

I think my sister took their last stove of that type up to their lake cabin years ago when her kids were young.  My niece just turned 50 this year.  Knowing their family, it’s probably still in use.

Super Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Not that I'm a paranoid freak, but here's my concern.  Lumene is available on Target's website (buy one, get one 50% off).  The last time I bought it, the products were picked up at the store.  This time they could only be shipped to my address.

What do you think immediately went through my head?

Discontinuation looms!

Not only that, but there could be a clearance price.  So do I stockpile now or wait for a better price?

I have just guaranteed clearance and discontinuation because I stockpiled.  Bought two CC creams and four Glow Reveal moisturizers.  Kinda dumb to stockpile the CC cream because I don't know the expiration date and it takes me a really long time to go through a tube.

Don't care.  I'm a desperate woman and I need that Lumene.

@just bee 

I just love this thread! I may not contribute much, but I read it daily.

I ordered the Lumene CC online from Target and received it last week. I just checked the expiration date on mine and it is 04/2021. Hopefully yours will be as good.