Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

@lil spot wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Not that I'm a paranoid freak, but here's my concern.  Lumene is available on Target's website (buy one, get one 50% off).  The last time I bought it, the products were picked up at the store.  This time they could only be shipped to my address.

What do you think immediately went through my head?

Discontinuation looms!

Not only that, but there could be a clearance price.  So do I stockpile now or wait for a better price?

I have just guaranteed clearance and discontinuation because I stockpiled.  Bought two CC creams and four Glow Reveal moisturizers.  Kinda dumb to stockpile the CC cream because I don't know the expiration date and it takes me a really long time to go through a tube.

Don't care.  I'm a desperate woman and I need that Lumene.

@just bee 

I just love this thread! I may not contribute much, but I read it daily.

I ordered the Lumene CC online from Target and received it last week. I just checked the expiration date on mine and it is 04/2021. Hopefully yours will be as good.

@lil spot 

And I'm so glad you do! Heart

And I'm also happy to hear about the 2021 expiration date.  That should work out well.

Are you happy with their CC cream?  I'm really depending on Target to keep this in stock.  Like I said, I'd stopped shopping there, but now that I know they carry Lumene I'm buying even more items there.

Mutually beneficial...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

And this is why I dread buying new appliances.

@just bee  

And I didn’t even mention the fact that for all these added inconveniences I paid at least three times what we paid thirteen years ago for the old ones.

But I was having to deal with a built-in situation.  If you’re getting free-standing units, you have a much wider choice.

@geezerette 

Do you remember the Robertshaw ovens and cooktops we grew up with?  I'm 99% sure that the one in my stepdad's house was the original model.  He bought the house after WW2 and it was sold in 2003 or 2004.

I wonder what happened to that oven.  It was still working.

@just bee 

Not that brand.  (We were lucky to afford Sears.)  But the general style, of course.  No self-cleaning oven, no auto-shutoff, no timer—I’m not even sure if the oven had a light.  Having to light the pilot light—!  Turn the knob, gingerly put a match close to the burner, wait, wait, then, when you least expect it—Poof!  The flame bursts into being.  I’m still scared to light pilot lights!  😳

We had to watch every very penny in those days, but I had an aunt who took the prize in being frugal.  She would take a can of vegetables out in the morning, set it on top of the stove over the pilot light area, and leave it all day.  By dinner time the veggies were just warm enough to eat.  She saved on gas for the stove burner and water and dish soap by not saving to use and wash a sauce pan to heat them!  🤣  Funny now (and then), but things were that tight.

I think my sister took their last stove of that type up to their lake cabin years ago when her kids were young.  My niece just turned 50 this year.  Knowing their family, it’s probably still in use.

@geezerette 

That woman should have written a book!

I have to say I miss the days when if you needed a new fridge you just went to Sears or Montgomery Wards and compared prices.

One CAN have too many choices.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

And this is why I dread buying new appliances.

@just bee  

And I didn’t even mention the fact that for all these added inconveniences I paid at least three times what we paid thirteen years ago for the old ones.

But I was having to deal with a built-in situation.  If you’re getting free-standing units, you have a much wider choice.

@geezerette 

Do you remember the Robertshaw ovens and cooktops we grew up with?  I'm 99% sure that the one in my stepdad's house was the original model.  He bought the house after WW2 and it was sold in 2003 or 2004.

I wonder what happened to that oven.  It was still working.

@just bee 

Not that brand.  (We were lucky to afford Sears.)  But the general style, of course.  No self-cleaning oven, no auto-shutoff, no timer—I’m not even sure if the oven had a light.  Having to light the pilot light—!  Turn the knob, gingerly put a match close to the burner, wait, wait, then, when you least expect it—Poof!  The flame bursts into being.  I’m still scared to light pilot lights!  😳

We had to watch every very penny in those days, but I had an aunt who took the prize in being frugal.  She would take a can of vegetables out in the morning, set it on top of the stove over the pilot light area, and leave it all day.  By dinner time the veggies were just warm enough to eat.  She saved on gas for the stove burner and water and dish soap by not saving to use and wash a sauce pan to heat them!  🤣  Funny now (and then), but things were that tight.

I think my sister took their last stove of that type up to their lake cabin years ago when her kids were young.  My niece just turned 50 this year.  Knowing their family, it’s probably still in use.

@geezerette 

That woman should have written a book!

I have to say I miss the days when if you needed a new fridge you just went to Sears or Montgomery Wards and compared prices.

One CAN have too many choices.

@just bee 

The older I get and the less I understand new things, the more I think this.  But I try to resist the thought.  The “good ole days” wasn’t always so good.  I’d hate to have to do without a microwave, an automatic thermostat on my a/c—or a/c altogether, for that matter.

Living in a small town, I already have choice limitations.  We have a Lowe’s, that’s it.  Home Depot is over thirty miles away.  Any independent appliance stores are over fifty miles away, with no free delivery that far.

Like this oven thing.  I had one choice only.  Sort of like the “good ole days”. But I don’t like the choice I had.  Now that wouldn’t have happened back then.  Because I wouldn’t have known there was any other choice.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

I have to agree with you on the microwave oven and refrigerated air.  Both very good inventions.

Honored Contributor

A few days ago we walked around Old Town.  BH said that our dog hadn't been there and I couldn't understand how that would be possible,  We've had him close to a decade now; what have we been doing the past ten years?

BH knows a couple who are on the East coast -- they're Internet friends and are on the phone with each other all the time.  The two are artists and BH knows the female half of the couple works with beads and likes turtles so he was going into stores and looking for both when we were in Old Town.

Then it occurred to me that I have a turtle pendant.  I'm pretty sure I bought it from QVC.  Had to be back in the '80s.  I've had it a very long time, I like it very much, but I remember wearing it... once, maybe?

It's sterling silver and it's on a chain.  It's also a pin.  It's head, legs and tail move.  And its shell is covered with rubies.

All of a sudden I said to BH, "I have a turtle that she can have if she wants it."

I held it in my hand and BH took a photo and sent it to her.  She likes it.  When we send something to them I'll include it in the package.

I really like this piece but I haven't worn it.  This is a person who would appreciate it and wear it.  The piece deserves to be worn and enjoyed.

So maybe that's how I'll reduce the collection.  I can sell pieces I don't like and give away the ones I do like.

It's just one piece in a collection of many unworn pieces.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of Old Town...

I went into a tea shop and looked around.  Didn't buy a thing.  But there were things to buy.  The window display was full of bees.  Large yellow mugs with big black bumblebees.  A white tea towel with one large black bumblebee.

Then I remembered I've been drinking my tea out of the same mug since the fire.  Don't need mugs.  Don't need a tea towel.

What I need to do is get this dog out.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Speaking of Old Town...

I went into a tea shop and looked around.  Didn't buy a thing.  But there were things to buy.  The window display was full of bees.  Large yellow mugs with big black bumblebees.  A white tea towel with one large black bumblebee.

Then I remembered I've been drinking my tea out of the same mug since the fire.  Don't need mugs.  Don't need a tea towel.

What I need to do is get this dog out.

And that’s how it is done.  It helps when I actually think through a purchase. It has saved me plenty of times. 

Respected Contributor

Just so I don’t disappear again on everyone, I am coming up on a very busy time and may not be posting for a while. I cannot wait until the new hires are up to speed and flying solo. 😂 

The weather lately has been beautiful. I am so glad to be rid of all that humidity. I hope we get a gorgeous Fall.  It is one of my favorite seasons. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Just so I don’t disappear again on everyone, I am coming up on a very busy time and may not be posting for a while. I cannot wait until the new hires are up to speed and flying solo. 😂 

The weather lately has been beautiful. I am so glad to be rid of all that humidity. I hope we get a gorgeous Fall.  It is one of my favorite seasons. 

@aprilskies 

Don't you dare disappear on us again!  Now's the time that you need to visit!  This is discount therapy.

I walk the dog and I come here to chat.  Oh -- and don't forget the shower therapy.  And the dishwashing therapy.  (I'm really enjoying handwashing the dishes -- no joke.)

You gotta be here.  New hires?  Training?  That's stressful stuff.  You need an outlet. 

We're always here! Woman LOL

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@lil spot wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Not that I'm a paranoid freak, but here's my concern.  Lumene is available on Target's website (buy one, get one 50% off).  The last time I bought it, the products were picked up at the store.  This time they could only be shipped to my address.

What do you think immediately went through my head?

Discontinuation looms!

Not only that, but there could be a clearance price.  So do I stockpile now or wait for a better price?

I have just guaranteed clearance and discontinuation because I stockpiled.  Bought two CC creams and four Glow Reveal moisturizers.  Kinda dumb to stockpile the CC cream because I don't know the expiration date and it takes me a really long time to go through a tube.

Don't care.  I'm a desperate woman and I need that Lumene.

@just bee 

I just love this thread! I may not contribute much, but I read it daily.

I ordered the Lumene CC online from Target and received it last week. I just checked the expiration date on mine and it is 04/2021. Hopefully yours will be as good.

@lil spot 

And I'm so glad you do! Heart

And I'm also happy to hear about the 2021 expiration date.  That should work out well.

Are you happy with their CC cream?  I'm really depending on Target to keep this in stock.  Like I said, I'd stopped shopping there, but now that I know they carry Lumene I'm buying even more items there.

Mutually beneficial...

@just bee 

Yes, I like the CC cream very much. I actually decided to give it a try based on your recommendations! I hope Target continues to to carry it too. 

My next thing to try is Paris tea...I'll let you know when I order.