Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

@Brisky wrote:
Well it happened just bee. That's life. We never really know for sure. Best laid plans can burn up quickly, as you should know! 😉

@Brisky 

Ar, ar, ar! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I know, I'm bad 😊
Respected Contributor

@Brisky - I am very glad to hear that your hubby is home and is doing well. Make sure he keeps a close eye on that blood pressure, it is definitely not  something that you want to mess with

@just bee @aprilskies- sometimes I feel bad because I haven't been going to a lot of the kids evening activities. Hubby takes them to scouts and just this year my older son decided he wanted to play JV football and he's also in marching band. So he is busy literally every day during the week.

I haven't made it to any of the games yet (but my son hasn't played either so I haven't made a huge effort to attend) and I haven't watched the band play either. Hubby usually picks him up from all these events because they end so late. When they've been in wrestling he took them to that too because he is very into wrestling and helped coach too.

I feel do bad but by the evening I'm tired and ready to relax, not go sit outside for 2-3 hours. He does have a couple of home games coming up that I will try to go to if I can. Thank goodness hubby doesn't mind running them all over because it's just too much for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I know, I'm bad 😊

@Brisky 

Not at all.  And just know that many of us really appreciate what your husband did and what you did to support him by taking on the responsibility of keeping things together at home on your own. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Brisky - I am very glad to hear that your hubby is home and is doing well. Make sure he keeps a close eye on that blood pressure, it is definitely not  something that you want to mess with

@just bee @aprilskies- sometimes I feel bad because I haven't been going to a lot of the kids evening activities. Hubby takes them to scouts and just this year my older son decided he wanted to play JV football and he's also in marching band. So he is busy literally every day during the week.

I haven't made it to any of the games yet (but my son hasn't played either so I haven't made a huge effort to attend) and I haven't watched the band play either. Hubby usually picks him up from all these events because they end so late. When they've been in wrestling he took them to that too because he is very into wrestling and helped coach too.

I feel do bad but by the evening I'm tired and ready to relax, not go sit outside for 2-3 hours. He does have a couple of home games coming up that I will try to go to if I can. Thank goodness hubby doesn't mind running them all over because it's just too much for me. 

@rnmom 

I don't know how parents do it.  When BH and I take the dog out and we see kids playing soccer and their parents are out there with them, or when we see a family shopping for groceries and they're struggling to keep the kids organized and get the baby in or out of the car seat, we just look at each other and think: That could have been us.

And then we're always relieved that it wasn't!

Parents are expected to be selfless yet maintain their personhood.  Have a career, raise kids, take care of a home, have interesting hobbies, be involved in the community, entertain -- do it all and do it well.

Who made these rules?  Some of us are lucky to do even one of those things well.

Maybe kids should start thinking of their schooling and activities as their career, their job.  Parents, in general, don't take their kids to work with them, so why should kids expect their parents to go to school and everywhere else with them?

Home is where everyone should meet up and be together to talk about it all.

I remember being so upset about my mother not being able to go to one of my horrible school plays.  She had been to the dentist that day and had several teeth removed.  Yet she showed up, in horrible pain, sat through the play and spent 2+ hours discreetly spitting blood into a paper cup because she just couldn't swallow it anymore.

You would think a kid would realize that going through labor was a big enough deal, but I guess in some ways it means something when a kid wants their parents to be a part of their lives.

My mom raised us alone after my parents separated.  She worked nights and didn't drive.  She managed to avoid us and our activities.  But when she met my stepdad and he wanted her to stay home she had no choice.  And he, a confirmed bachelor until he met my mother at age 50, had to deal with me, my older siblings, my mother's relatives and a house full of cats, dogs, rabbits and whatever else my mother brought home.

We can just hope that our parents -- wherever they are -- know that we appreciate everything they did for us and that they were right 99.9% of the time.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom, I did raise my two children alone for almost ten years. I had to change my thinking.
My daughter was younger with special needs. Physical therapy twice a week. Occupational therapy once a week.
My son had to delay school for one year because I was running to therapy or Doctors appointments for her. There was nobody home to watch my son but me.
I had to put her first.I had to get her help all the time.

My son was so young, he was actually quite a trooper.
He had to go to her therapy sessions and Dr appt's too.
It worked out because without therapy my daughter would not have walked, eaten or anything. It was crucial. She never crawled. No strength. The first time she took her first steps she was going on close to 3.

Take the time you need for yourself too. Don't feel guilty. Take it a step at a time. Remember to say NO, when you have to. Saying No is the greatest gift to yourself. Try to cut back and give yourself some slack.
If you push yourself to hard you will be overwhelmed.
Hope this helps. Remember the word NO, I can't do it.

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl- Hi, sounds like your kids are keeping you busy.  So glad to see all is well. 

@rnmom, dont feel bad at all. Sometimes we just dont have the energy and need to listen and rest. Good that your husband is able to pick up the pace and just be sure to attend the things when you can. Sometimes we just need to take a break from everything. I know for myself, I can go for a while but then just need to regroup mentally. Take the time you need for yourself without guilt.

@Brisky, you are a strong woman. Managing all that on your own is quite something.  

Respected Contributor

My Kohls order is finally coming in.  The jeans surprisingly enough fit, too tight, but I will keep them.  The 3 tops are all going back. I ordered two of the same top in different colors and they are both different fabrics. What? I dont understand. I would of kept them but they are really off. The only thing I dont understand about jeans these days no matter what brand I try is that they are all tight in the knee area.  Who and how in the world cant we make a good pair of jeans. Even the expensive ones seem to fit me the same way.  I was surprised  though because I fully expected the pants not to fit right. 

Well, as much as I try and control my bottled water purchasing, I have to just resign I will always buy them. The chlorine in our water was low because the machine broke down. They are advising not to ingest the water and that we all need to boil it and all. I cant even imagine how long that was going on before they even noticed.  We cant even brush our teeth with it. This morning I didnt not take a shower, instead I used baby wipes to wash down. I was not going to keep these on hand either once I was done, but these situations just prove that we all need to keep something on hand for emergencies. Honestly, you just never know what will happen - does anyone care about heath anymore. Our facility has been aging and no one thinks to update it. I just wonder what these people are thinking and what they are doing with our tax dollars. Certainly not minding the store. 

I will say though, what a PITA!!  I am at least happy to happy running water but not being able to wash your hands or wash dishes, etc etc is quite eye opening. I dont like it. Smiley Happy

Have a nice weekend, Everyone. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks aprilskies, I didn't see myself as strong though. I saw it as my job to get my daughter all the help I could. I was driven to see that she had the tools she needed to succeed. Her therapies were vital to her development. The therapists were wonderful. They gave me hope when I needed it.
I have witnessed so many children with disabilities that were horrendous. I actually felt lucky. Still do even though she will always be disabled she is high functioning.
I can't imagine what her future is yet. She will go to college.
In the end I did what I had to do.No regrets. She really is a great daughter and she's mine!
Thanks April skies.
Take it easy, Brisk out.....
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Just so I don’t disappear again on everyone, I am coming up on a very busy time and may not be posting for a while. I cannot wait until the new hires are up to speed and flying solo. 😂 

The weather lately has been beautiful. I am so glad to be rid of all that humidity. I hope we get a gorgeous Fall.  It is one of my favorite seasons. 

@aprilskies 

Don't you dare disappear on us again!  Now's the time that you need to visit!  This is discount therapy.

I walk the dog and I come here to chat.  Oh -- and don't forget the shower therapy.  And the dishwashing therapy.  (I'm really enjoying handwashing the dishes -- no joke.)

You gotta be here.  New hires?  Training?  That's stressful stuff.  You need an outlet. 

We're always here! Woman LOL

@aprilskies 

@just bee 

Glad to see you, aprilskies! 🙂  Hope you’re doing okay and not working too hard.

Speaking of disappearing, haven’t we lost a couple of posters?  Like, @Riversong?  Haven’t heard from her in a while.  I hope everything is okay with her husband.🙏🤞

And our poster from Hawaii—it’s been so long since she’s been here I forgot her nickname.  “Aloha-something” I think.  I’m terrible with names. 🤗 

I have to admit @just bee, I think I’m beginning to enjoy the hand dishwashing too!  I think I just like the idea that I’m prolonging the dishwasher’s demise, and eventual replacement.  I’ve had more than enough household replacement costs this year! 💰💸 

@geezerette Alooo-ha! What a coincidence. I was just watching Andrew Zimmern in New Mexico, which made me think of @just bee  and gang. And I've been trying to catch up with the posts when I saw this. 

I'm still alive but it's been a whirlwind of a summer. I'm the treasurer for my DD's band. I'm exhausted and have never written more checks in my life than I have in the last 2 months. DS just entered high school and has gotten involved in sports. Between the band and sports, I'm done. I'm glad they both have found their passions. It's very satisfying to see them grow up and thrive.

I've only been on the boards to post my use it up items. I totally missed July and August threads. @just bee hope you are doing ok. I'll find out as I catch up. Miss everyone!

I see more and more beauty YouTubers doing declutters. So many are saying that they are overwhelmed. Makes me think of the ComPacters and how many years we've been doing this. 

I'll be back. Gotta pick up a kid from practice.

@Oshare-girl 

Howdy, stranger! Woman LOL

I think we saw the same episode.  Did you see the matanza?  And the roasted prairie dogs?

Are you going to get any time to yourself now that school has started?  Demand a day!  Smell some roses!  Lift a leg!  Well, you know what I mean.

Speaking of which -- I gotta get this dog out!

Haha, after I saw the show was on ABQ and green chilis I logged into this forum so I didn't end up watching the whole thing.

2 days of the weekend done. 2 parades, 1 homecoming half time show, 1 cross country meet and 1 basketball game done. Tomorrow, 1 tournament and 1 more basketball game to go to. This will be the last of basketball, I think. DS realizes that he's a good runner and a mediocre basketball player so we'll finish out the season and that's it. I'm so happy he made that decision. 

It's actually pretty busy now that school has begun. All the school activities are in full swing (band & cross country) but I love to sleep so I sneak in a nap when both kids have practices at the same time. Heavenly. And we couldn't do it without our little carpool crew.