Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

@Brisky wrote:
Ok ladies, Talk about Twighlite Zone. My brother passed late August. My husband suffered a minor stroke Friday night. He will be totally fine. He is 50 years old. Doesn't drink or smoke and not over weight.
He is retired military and teaches rotc to high school
Children. 247/128 blood pressure,when we ran to the hospital.
Life is Stinking right now. Life isn't Simple. Why do we pretend it's Simple when we are all old enough to know Life is not Simple.
Life is Complex.
Just bee is something wrong with WGD?😔

Sorry, I am ranting but telling the truth.
Husband will come home tomorrow.

Sorry, I had to tell you this. I tried to keep it Simple.
I told you all my husband is a workaholic. He is going to be saying NO a lot more or I will do him in!!!
Brisk down in the dumps...

@Brisky 

Well, I won't argue with you.  Life is definitely not simple.  And just when you think you're getting a break, it reminds you that there are no breaks.  It's a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week grind sometimes.

Frankly, I don't know how some people manage it.  Just when you think your life has hit the skids, you hear about someone else's situation and realize things could be even worse.  It's not the best way to live but sometimes it's all we've got.

Blood pressure worries me because I know BH's is sky high and his fuse gets shorter every day.  He'll be 48 next month and he is overweight.  He drinks and he has smoked (now he vapes) since he was a teenager.

You've just had a terrible scare.  Sometimes scares are good in that they serve as gentle (or not so gentle) reminders that we need to pay more attention to something or make some changes.

Is your husband on any hypertension meds?  What's his cholesterol like?

I'm so relieved that you were able to get to the hospital and that it wasn't worse than it was.  But now it's all you can think about.  The constant worry.  My stepfather was hypertensive and my mother did everything she could to modify his diet and her cooking.  He didn't smoke or drink but he loved food.  He never should have married my mother because she was a spectacular cook.

Sounds like the two of you are going to have to have a serious chat.  Has his doctor recommended anything specific?

And how is he doing?  For me, the first thing on my mind would be: I'm only 50, d_mn it!  With his military background, this has to be especially difficult.  This isn't supposed to happen.

Well, like @rnmom says, you can come here to vent.  Venting can be very good medicine.

And so is rest.  Don't forget to get some.

(Oh -- and WGD is just getting old.  So I worry about the time we have left.  There will never be enough.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Brisky -I am so sorry to hear about your husband and so sorry that you are down in the dumps. I'm also so glad that he will be fine though and that he is coming home. That is an exceedingly high blood pressure, he's very lucky that he didn't have a more debiitating stroke.

You are right though, life is not simple. My life is anything but simple and actually hasn't been for a very long time. Aiiling parents,  houses, jobs, raising kids, none of it is simple. But to me that's even more reason why I need to make things like skin care and make up as simple as possible. I'm not getting any younger and need to save my energy and use my time on the things that really matter. 

Hope you and hubby feel better soon, feel free to vent here anytime!

@rnmom 

That pretty much sums things up.  I wouldn't survive one of your days.  Work, the house, the dogs, all the kids' activities and all the appointments -- your dance card is full. 

We need to keep our routines simple.  The things we do every day that make surviving the day possible.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Autumn

Today is the first day of autumn.

Respected Contributor

@Brisky, you really are finding it these days. Hang in there. Unfortunately, life is so unpredictable. It really is true when they say enjoy today.  I am so glad your hubby is okay. Scary.  Life is anything but simple.  @rnmom, said it well, we are just trying to simplify what we can to have the energy to deal with more important things such as these life events as well as other things. Right now and 1 thing among many, I am dealing ailing aging parents that are not making things easy at every turn. I feel like I am living their life for them. Sometimes I dont have the energy to care about the things I know need attention and are important for me.  I cant imagine if I had kids on top of that @rnmom

The best to you and continued good health for your husband.  @just bee is right. Make sure you are resting at least. It is important even though it is easier said than done. 

Respected Contributor

Well, as much as I didnt want to buy a whole lot of new clothes, I feel I must. I have been buying here and there but now I am just making an all out effort to start dressing better despite the weight I keep thinking I am going to lose. I haven’t given up on HEP, not by a long shot, but I am struggling to get dressed and then I buy a few things to get by but then the season changes and I am back to square one.  So I have bought a few things this week and have ordered a bunch so hopefully a lot works out. I am not going overboard but I have been feeling quite disheveled for a long time now and we need to change it up and at the very least start feeling better.  It has been quite frustrating in the morning and in general. 

One thing is for sure, never again will I buy things just to store them. A few years ago I got rid of over 70 pairs of shoes. It was in my brutal decluttering mode. I kept some. Well, last year, 5 pairs of the shoes I kept literally disintegrated. I think it was the way I was storing them in the closet. It was hot and they were not able to breathe.  Well, I just started wearing a another pair of sandals that barely saw the light of day and they just disintegrated after being worn less than 5 times lately. I tossed them this morning.  .....and another pair of boots, I dont really reach for. The sole was becoming unglued. So, that leads me to believe I have a couple of more pairs I should just part wth now.  I do have a walk in closet and it is a good size for a reasonable person but at one point it was stuffed to the gills. 

Mindful consumption is really best and I think I am finally starting to get there. Besides, the quality out there these days is atrocious. I dont know why it surprises me every time. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee@geezerette, all things you have been discussing, I dont even know where to start. I have enjoyed the conversation. 

The pictures of the balloon festival are always so nice and it is funny to see the countdown begin. 

I cant believe it is Fall already. I am not ready for the cold but the nice Fall weather I can deal with. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, as much as I didnt want to buy a whole lot of new clothes, I feel I must. I have been buying here and there but now I am just making an all out effort to start dressing better despite the weight I keep thinking I am going to lose. I haven’t given up on HEP, not by a long shot, but I am struggling to get dressed and then I buy a few things to get by but then the season changes and I am back to square one.  So I have bought a few things this week and have ordered a bunch so hopefully a lot works out. I am not going overboard but I have been feeling quite disheveled for a long time now and we need to change it up and at the very least start feeling better.  It has been quite frustrating in the morning and in general. 

One thing is for sure, never again will I buy things just to store them. A few years ago I got rid of over 70 pairs of shoes. It was in my brutal decluttering mode. I kept some. Well, last year, 5 pairs of the shoes I kept literally disintegrated. I think it was the way I was storing them in the closet. It was hot and they were not able to breathe.  Well, I just started wearing a another pair of sandals that barely saw the light of day and they just disintegrated after being worn less than 5 times lately. I tossed them this morning.  .....and another pair of boots, I dont really reach for. The sole was becoming unglued. So, that leads me to believe I have a couple of more pairs I should just part wth now.  I do have a walk in closet and it is a good size for a reasonable person but at one point it was stuffed to the gills. 

Mindful consumption is really best and I think I am finally starting to get there. Besides, the quality out there these days is atrocious. I dont know why it surprises me every time. 

@aprilskies 

Another reason not to save items for that day out there that doesn't exist.  We might not be using the item but that doesn't mean it isn't aging.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee@geezerette, all things you have been discussing, I dont even know where to start. I have enjoyed the conversation. 

The pictures of the balloon festival are always so nice and it is funny to see the countdown begin. 

I cant believe it is Fall already. I am not ready for the cold but the nice Fall weather I can deal with. 

@aprilskies 

Balloons

It's gorgeous out there today.  We're finally feeling like fall. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brisky 

Ah, geez, brisk!  That’s a scare that will add more than a few gray hairs to your head!  So sorry to hear about your husband, but so very glad he’s going to be fine.  

Everybody has already said what I would have, had I gotten here earlier.  No, life is not simple.  We just kid ourselves that it can be.  At least, some of what we can actually control can be simple.  There’s a lot in our lives that we can’t control.  Unfortunately it’s often the most serious things.  And not only can’t we control if they happen, we can’t control when they happen.  You sure didn’t need something like this coming virtually on the heels of your brother’s passing.  💔

I think we all get little taps on the shoulder every so often in life.  Some we choose to ignore—usually those that come when we’re young and we consider ourselves invincible.  Others come at a time in our lives that we stop and think that we’d better pay attention.  I know this was, and still is, scary for you.  But, whether he shows it or not, I’m sure it also got your husband’s attention.

Lastly, I just want to say to you—and anyone else—please don’t ever feel sorry that you post something here that is weighing heavily on you.  No matter what it is.  If you choose not to share personal life details, that’s fine. But don’t ever think you can’t.  I like to think of this place as a modern day front porch.  Where all of us neighbor ladies can get together, share a cup of coffee or tea (or whatever!?😉), and talk about our lives.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  (Okay, I stole that line.😊)  I remember those days and I think it really helped women deal with their lives.  They didn’t need “therapy”.  Just talking to other women and knowing they weren’t alone in their feelings and thoughts was enough to help deal with whatever they needed to.

We all come from different places and live different lives.  But we all have things that we have to deal with.  They might be different things happening at different times, but we can all relate.  We’re here.  And we hear.❤️

(And I think I’m glad I’m not Mr. Brisko right now.  I imagine he’s going to be getting an earful from now on! 😉👍)

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

Expressed perfectly -- as usual! Heart