Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Update on my latest Konjac sponge:  used it once a day for three weeks and it’s full of mold. ☹️

Got four more to go before I’m done with all of them.  Not wasting my time or money on any more since all the brands I’ve tried lately haven’t lastest a month.

As that old adage goes, “What’s the definition of an idiot?”  🤪😖

@geezerette 

That's so weird.  I'm done with EcoTools, but I'll keep searching for a new sponge.  So far the Earth Therapeutics is okay.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Got my oven(s) installed this morning.  Went without a hitch.  Now I have to read up on how to use the darn things!  They’re completely different from my old one.  Have to “dial in” the time, etc. instead of just pushing a button or two.  There might be a way to do things quicker that I haven’t read about yet though.

One thing I definitely do not like is that both the microwave and conventional oven doors have a border of glass that extends out farther than the thick part of the doors, if that makes any sense.  There’s just glass sticking out around the perimeter of the doors about an inch wide.  As clumsy as I am, that one inch of unprotected glass is a huge chip or crack just waiting to happen.  I’m sure the design was intentional so that you’d need to replace the oven sooner than expected.

Have any of you noticed that so many things, like appliances for instance, now seem to be designed and built for people that don’t actually need to use them?  Like washing machines.  It seems like nowadays the only things the new machines will clean effectively are office clothes or delicates.  Throw rugs, blankets or filthy work clothes get unbalanced and don’t get clean.  These oven doors are an accident waiting to happen.  A slipped heavy dish coming out of the oven or an errant child or large dog will break the glass easily.  Whose bright idea was that?

On top of all that, I swear my food tastes different heated in this new microwave.  But at least I don’t have to go in the cat room to heat my food anymore. 

@geezerette 

I'm using different appliances in the rental and I'm noticing some things, too.  Makes me dread having to replace our machines when the house is rebuilt.

They're designed with form rather than function in mind and failure is built into them. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Two months in a hotel spoiled me.  Softer clothes out of the dryer, better skin and hair with basic products.  I'm used to gravel coming out of the tap and destroying everything it touches.

Stains the brick, ruins appliances.

Why do I live here again?

@just bee 

One word:  humidity.   Or, lack thereof.

Okay, three words.  🤗

@geezerette 

That was on the list with hot air balloons, green chile, big sky with spectacular sunrises and sunsets, Russian olive blossoms and NO FLEAS.

Guess what I found the other day?

There was a flea on me.

It hopped away before I could do something about it.  I'm mortified.

The list grows shorter.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of which...

Balloon Fiesta

Balloon Fiesta

Balloon Fiesta

28 days

2 hours

23 minutes

Respected Contributor

@just bee  @aprilskies -Thank you both for your kind words. It is appreciated. 

@aprilskies -You don't be too hard on yourself either. I'm sure it's harder to worry about decluttering when you're the only one living in your house. I think I feel more pressure to keep things neat and decluttered because there are 4 of us and we would get overwhelmed with "stuff" very quickly if I didn't keep at it. 

Also, of course, I am always picking up after everyone and putting things away. I can't imagine what a pit this place would be if I didn't do that every day. It would be SO easy if I were living alone because I pick up after myself and I wouldn't have messes to clean all the time. 

I used to save a lot and really didn't start decluttering until I had kids. All their "stuff" kind of pushed my "stuff" out. I just didn't have the room or energy to deal with all of it, so some started to go. My old items went to make room for the new, needed items. You will declutter and purge when your life says you are ready. Until then, don't worry about it too much Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Brisky - Yep, I have 2 boys, 11 and 14, and now 4 dogs. 2 big Chessapeake Bay retrievers, a rat terrier/min pin mix and a small Chihuahua. I say that my house is a zoo, literally and figuratively. It's always loud and crazy over here. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee  @aprilskies -Thank you both for your kind words. It is appreciated. 

@aprilskies -You don't be too hard on yourself either. I'm sure it's harder to worry about decluttering when you're the only one living in your house. I think I feel more pressure to keep things neat and decluttered because there are 4 of us and we would get overwhelmed with "stuff" very quickly if I didn't keep at it. 

Also, of course, I am always picking up after everyone and putting things away. I can't imagine what a pit this place would be if I didn't do that every day. It would be SO easy if I were living alone because I pick up after myself and I wouldn't have messes to clean all the time. 

I used to save a lot and really didn't start decluttering until I had kids. All their "stuff" kind of pushed my "stuff" out. I just didn't have the room or energy to deal with all of it, so some started to go. My old items went to make room for the new, needed items. You will declutter and purge when your life says you are ready. Until then, don't worry about it too much Smiley Happy

@rnmom 

@aprilskies 

There's a lot of truth to that.  If the need to acquire and hang on to things is comparable to an addiction, then breaking that addiction will only happen when a person makes the decision to change.

For me, change just happened.  I had decided I needed to address the problem and stopped collecting.  However, I was slow in addressing the collections.

Now the collections are mostly gone.  But I can definitely feel the change.  I am aware of every item and the space it occupies.  That "real estate" is more important now so the item in it had better be worth it.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Brisky - Yep, I have 2 boys, 11 and 14, and now 4 dogs. 2 big Chessapeake Bay retrievers, a rat terrier/min pin mix and a small Chihuahua. I say that my house is a zoo, literally and figuratively. It's always loud and crazy over here. 

@rnmom 

It's more than a house.  What you've created is a home.

Respected Contributor

@just bee -For sure, if anyone would know about life telling you when it's time to declutter you would be the most excellent example of that! It'sjust too darn bad it had to happen the way it did, but I'm sure you will be changed forever because of it. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -For sure, if anyone would know about life telling you when it's time to declutter you would be the most excellent example of that! It'sjust too darn bad it had to happen the way it did, but I'm sure you will be changed forever because of it. 

@rnmom 

Oh, definitely! Woman LOL