Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

This film is terrible.  Now I know why I left the room and forgot to come back.

@just bee 

Yeah, but...Colin Firth.  Not enough to make up for it?

@geezerette 

Firth is charming, of course, but I preferred Malkovich's interpretation.  I also preferred the rest of the cast of Dangerous Liaisons.

Valmont was... meh.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Call it a hangover from Acceptance August, but I'm finding myself using an expression an awful lot lately.

Often there are threads here listing expressions we hate.  The one that comes to mind is "at the end of the day."

Another that was so overused it was like nails on a chalkboard:

It is what it is.

For some reason, I'm thinking it several times a day.  I even said it at work the other night.

Talk about acceptance.  But it is what it is.

@just bee 

Oh, I don’t even read those threads about expressions we hate.  I have so many I would be nauseated by the time I finished reading.  But, like you, I do find myself using a few once in a while.  “Going forward” is a particular chalkboard grater for me.  I pretty much hate anything that gets popular because everyone, everywhere uses it to extreme.  I swear going along with the crowd is more prevalent today than it was in the 50’s.

And funny you should mention “it is what it is”.  I was about to apologize for using it, until I realized I hadn’t used it here, but in a text to Carla’s auntie about one of her fosters.

Unfortunately, that particular phrase is all too apropos for me too nowadays.  I can get frustrated, angry, sad, or confused, but “at the end of the day, it is what it is”.  Actually, I can’t think of anything that would describe the situation more accurately.

Honored Contributor

I’m simplifying everything.  Some things are already there, like most of my clothing.  Skin care is sort of halfway.  Although my face has been a mess lately, so I’ve reduced everything to just cleanser and moisturizer for now.  I have other products that I may end up not using, I don’t know at this point.

House is a work in progress, along with dog food and treats.  I’m in the process of changing cat litter, which I hadn’t really intended, but they went gaga for some new stuff.

My number one way to simplify everything is not to buy anything I don’t absolutely need.  I didn’t quite make that goal in August, but I had cut down considerably.  

I’ve been thinking a great deal lately about my life “going forward” (😖) and simplicity is probably my number one goal.  Not only financially, but for me, personally.  I’ve gotten a good taste about how things may progress as I age, and I don’t want to be spending on or caring for a bunch of “things”.  I don’t enjoy cleaning house.  I don’t want to wade through a closet full of clothes and junk, or drawers full of skin products.

And the absolute insane thing is I’ve been doing this to myself!  I don’t have to buy all this stuff I have.  A lot of which is cwap that ends up in the trash or donation bag.  Might as well throw my money out the window!  I have no one else to answer to, so why, oh why, do I continue down this road?!  I suppose there are a lot of reasons, but I intend to get on another path.

One step at a time (another lovely expression)...

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Call it a hangover from Acceptance August, but I'm finding myself using an expression an awful lot lately.

Often there are threads here listing expressions we hate.  The one that comes to mind is "at the end of the day."

It is what it is.

For some reason, I'm thinking it several times a day.  I even said it at work the other night.

@just bee 

Oh, I don’t even read those threads about expressions we hate.  I have so many I would be nauseated by the time I finished reading.  But, like you, I do find myself using a few once in a while.  “Going forward” is a particular chalkboard grater for me.  I pretty much hate anything that gets popular because everyone, everywhere uses it to extreme.  I swear going along with the crowd is more prevalent today than it was in the 50’s.

And funny you should mention “it is what it is”.  I was about to apologize for using it, until I realized I hadn’t used it here, but in a text to Carla’s auntie about one of her fosters.

Unfortunately, that particular phrase is all too apropos for me too nowadays.  I can get frustrated, angry, sad, or confused, but “at the end of the day, it is what it is”.  Actually, I can’t think of anything that would describe the situation more accurately.

@geezerette 

For me, too.  And, for now, it seems to help.  It means: Accept what it is, don't dwell on it and just move forward.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I’m simplifying everything.  Some things are already there, like most of my clothing.  Skin care is sort of halfway.  Although my face has been a mess lately, so I’ve reduced everything to just cleanser and moisturizer for now.  I have other products that I may end up not using, I don’t know at this point.

House is a work in progress, along with dog food and treats.  I’m in the process of changing cat litter, which I hadn’t really intended, but they went gaga for some new stuff.

My number one way to simplify everything is not to buy anything I don’t absolutely need.  I didn’t quite make that goal in August, but I had cut down considerably.  

I’ve been thinking a great deal lately about my life “going forward” (😖) and simplicity is probably my number one goal.  Not only financially, but for me, personally.  I’ve gotten a good taste about how things may progress as I age, and I don’t want to be spending on or caring for a bunch of “things”.  I don’t enjoy cleaning house.  I don’t want to wade through a closet full of clothes and junk, or drawers full of skin products.

And the absolute insane thing is I’ve been doing this to myself!  I don’t have to buy all this stuff I have.  A lot of which is cwap that ends up in the trash or donation bag.  Might as well throw my money out the window!  I have no one else to answer to, so why, oh why, do I continue down this road?!  I suppose there are a lot of reasons, but I intend to get on another path.

One step at a time (another lovely expression)...

@geezerette 

Like I said, we found the perfect granite.  But we're just not the type of people who are going to baby their countertops.  And I know myself.  If I'm anywhere near tomato sauce, that sauce is going to end up splattered on something.

We had laminate for 25 years and never had a problem.  When it looked tired I wiped it with a Magic Eraser and it looked new.

I'd rather put that money into making our yard more... simple.

And it's true: The best way to simplify is to stop bringing more into the house.  Right now I have incentive not to collect.  We'll be moving it all again next year.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

It is what it is.

@just bee 

@geezerette 

For me, too.  And, for now, it seems to help.  It means: Accept what it is, don't dwell on it and just move forward.

@just bee 

My best friend and I bolster each other up and bring each other back to reality when needed.  Her favorite phrase (after we’ve discussed the situation to death) is: “Okay, then.  Moving on now...”

Honored Contributor

A nice way to start the month: We went to buy a new bag of kibble and it was our "free" bag.  (With Fromm, you buy 12 and get the next one free.)

And I couldn't find Smucker's organic peanut butter at the store so I picked up a jar of Adam's organic. 

I really don't need to buy anything this month except deodorant. 

I propose that each of us chose something we think we can't give up and give it up.

What would that item be?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

It is what it is.

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

My best friend and I bolster each other up and bring each other back to reality when needed.  Her favorite phrase (after we’ve discussed the situation to death) is: “Okay, then.  Moving on now...”

@geezerette 

What else can we do? Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette, yes, simplicity is my goal too, and do I even dare say it, going forward. Ack!!  You expressed everything I am feeling.  I think I am finally ready. 

The funny part is the more I try and simplify the worse I seem to get, but like you, I have no one to blame. Woman Sad

@just bee, my choice to focus in September above everything else is my food choices. I will be darned if I am not having a hard time making the right choices. But, it has to be my September.  However, instead on focusing on what to give up, I want to just eat when I am hungry instead of just habit.  I never ever thought this would be a problem area for me. 

Anyway, happy Labor Day, Everyone I hope you are all having a nice holiday weekend. I think this is the first holiday weekend I am not going to a cookout of sorts and am happy to have my days free, although, they are ending up to be busy with unexpected things.  

Respected Contributor

I would also love to simplify all areas of my life but that is not going to happen anytime soon. But I DO have someone to blame! Smiley Happy With hubby, 2 kids and now 4 dogs, it's REALLY hard for anything to be simple around here right now. 

However, because of all the madness and busyness with schedules, etc.it's even more important for me to simplify where I can, whether that is with skincare, clothing, groceries, housekeeping etc. 

I don't like housekeeping either and just keeping up with the laundry, floors, bathrooms, etc makes it so that I don't get to a lot of other things. Now that everyone is back to school I want to make it a point at least one day a week to work on some other cleaning that I don't do every day like dusting. 

I do want to continue to streamline my skincare and makeup collections so that I am only using new, fresh items. Clothes are pretty streamlined because I still can't fit into hardly anything so I wear the same things over and over again. I should try to do something about that.

I will continue to declutter where I can so that it doesn't get too overwhelming. I'd like to look at one room every week or two if I can until I get thru the whole house. I've done so much that I don't have a lot to go, everything could just use a quick look. 

We did simplify this summer by getting rid of our above ground pool and I didn't plant any new flowers this year at all. I will see if I can think of something particular for fall that will help us simplify.