Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Simple September

[ Edited ]

This is a weird question but here goes.

I was at work the other night and my shoe broke.  This is a pair of red Alegria clogs and the buckle self-destructed.  The pair is not yet worn out enough to toss so I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to get the shoe repaired.  I imagine they'd have to replace both buckles.  Will likely cost more than the pair itself.

The only reason I'm willing to do this is that Alegria has not been producing an all-red shoe.  Can't imagine the reasoning behind this, but it leaves me without a never-ending supply.

Would you repair or toss?

Found a photo online:

croco

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Harpa 

Another area for SIMPLIFICATION:

Tea.

Right now I have H&S Paris, Victorian London Fog, Bangkok and African Autumn.  Also have a box of Stash Lemon & Ginger and a box of Bigelow Constant Comment.  Then there's a Ziploc bag of assorted flavors: Leftover Bigelow teas from the hotel and H&S samples from my last order.

I'm trying to keep the collection SIMPLE.  Have you narrowed down your favorites?

Is that all you have?! Smiley Happy

Oh, I've got my favorites! I always have a goodly supply of those. But I have others...Florence, assorted greens (not just from Harney), Capri, Cranberry Autumn, Black Currant, Boston...I'm afraid my list is extensive.  (Not to mention the reds & the whites!)

I haven't had Constant Comment in a long time!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Harpa 

Another area for SIMPLIFICATION:

Tea.

Right now I have H&S Paris, Victorian London Fog, Bangkok and African Autumn.  Also have a box of Stash Lemon & Ginger and a box of Bigelow Constant Comment.  Then there's a Ziploc bag of assorted flavors: Leftover Bigelow teas from the hotel and H&S samples from my last order.

I'm trying to keep the collection SIMPLE.  Have you narrowed down your favorites?

Is that all you have?! Smiley Happy

Oh, I've got my favorites! I always have a goodly supply of those. But I have others...Florence, assorted greens (not just from Harney), Capri, Cranberry Autumn, Black Currant, Boston...I'm afraid my list is extensive.  (Not to mention the reds & the whites!)

I haven't had Constant Comment in a long time!

@Harpa 

My tea collection was similar to Better-half's spice collection and we lost both after the fire.  I also lost all my tea accessories and most of my mug collection.

I have had Cranberry Autumn, Boston and Black Currant but not Florence or Capri -- two that I've considered many times.  Black Currant was a favorite and it seems reasonably priced (frequently on sale).  Some of the greens I like are Bangkok, Tropical Green (pleasantly pineapple) and Citrus & Gingko.

My plan is to retain a couple sturdy blacks, at least one green, a rooibos and an herbal or two.

I always had Hot Cinnamon Spice stocked but the hotel offered Bigelow and I ended up drinking Constant Comment.  It had been years since I had Bigelow teas and there I was drinking Lemon Lift again -- I tea I liked in high school and college.

What other favorites?  I have to admit I haven't adopted matcha or sencha.  Paris remains number one after all these years. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

The dog is tanking up at the water bowl as if to say: Get off that _______ computer and take me for a walk!

Better get dressed!

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Harpa 

My tea collection was similar to Better-half's spice collection and we lost both after the fire.  I also lost all my tea accessories and most of my mug collection.

I have had Cranberry Autumn, Boston and Black Currant but not Florence or Capri -- two that I've considered many times.  Black Currant was a favorite and it seems reasonably priced (frequently on sale).  Some of the greens I like are Bangkok, Tropical Green (pleasantly pineapple) and Citrus & Gingko.

My plan is to retain a couple sturdy blacks, at least one green, a rooibos and an herbal or two.

I always had Hot Cinnamon Spice stocked but the hotel offered Bigelow and I ended up drinking Constant Comment.  It had been years since I had Bigelow teas and there I was drinking Lemon Lift again -- I tea I liked in high school and college.

What other favorites?  I have to admit I haven't adopted matcha or sencha.  Paris remains number one after all these years. Heart

Ooo, that tropical green! That's a good one! If you like a little cinnamon, the Florence is nice!

You've got me, here, @just bee  with having your tea plan. I don't think I'm there yet. I mean, what if you were to drop by? I have no Constant Comment to offer you!

The only thing I do not have is a tea cozy. I've always wanted one! My tea pots, though, are 2-4 cups. When I do have company, we each have our own tea pot!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

This film is terrible.  Now I know why I left the room and forgot to come back.

@just bee 

Yeah, but...Colin Firth.  Not enough to make up for it?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I was at work the other night and my shoe broke.  This is a pair of red Alegria clogs and the buckle self-destructed.  The pair is not yet worn out enough to toss so I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to get the shoe repaired.  I imagine they'd have to replace both buckles.  Will likely cost more than the pair itself.

The only reason I'm willing to do this is that Alegria has not been producing an all-red shoe.  Can't imagine the reasoning behind this, but it leaves me without a never-ending supply.

Found a photo online:

croco

@just bee 

Hmm.  Tough one.  I am a sucker for all-red shoes.  (Odd, because I don’t like color in the rest of my outfit.)

How comfortable are they?

How many other pairs do you have that could be used as replacements?

Do you have a reliable local repair shop?

Do you want to take the time out to take them, get an estimate, wait for them and then go back and pick them up?

Do you want to take the time out to take them, get an estimate, go back home and toss them because the repair cost was more than you wanted to pay?

Are you willing to have a different buckle?

Lastly, do you like these well enough to forego a future purchase that Alegria may come out with that you do like?

Just a few thoughts I would consider if I was thinking about it.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Harpa 

Ooo, that tropical green! That's a good one! If you like a little cinnamon, the Florence is nice!

You've got me, here, @just bee  with having your tea plan. I don't think I'm there yet. I mean, what if you were to drop by? I have no Constant Comment to offer you!

The only thing I do not have is a tea cozy. I've always wanted one! My tea pots, though, are 2-4 cups. When I do have company, we each have our own tea pot!

@Harpa 

I do like cinnamon.  Ah, but Florence is chocolate and hazelnut.  I like chocolate and I like hazelnut -- just not anywhere near my tea.  Unless, of course, it's in some form of baked item.

I have abandoned loose tea and am back to bags and sachets.  I don't want to repurchase all my tea accessories so, to SIMPLIFY, I'm back to basics: An electric kettle, bags and sachets, no tins, no pots.  Just a reduced number of mugs.  Two, actually.  I won't unpack the others until we move back into the house.

I'm entertaining the idea of occasionally picking up a new flavor at the grocery store (the aisle has expanded significantly) or if I happen to be near a World Market or tea shop.  Streamlining my tea habit.

What is it that keeps you drinking Paris?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Found a photo online:

croco

@just bee 

Hmm.  Tough one.  I am a sucker for all-red shoes.  (Odd, because I don’t like color in the rest of my outfit.)

How comfortable are they?

How many other pairs do you have that could be used as replacements?

Do you have a reliable local repair shop?

Do you want to take the time out to take them, get an estimate, wait for them and then go back and pick them up?

Do you want to take the time out to take them, get an estimate, go back home and toss them because the repair cost was more than you wanted to pay?

Are you willing to have a different buckle?

Lastly, do you like these well enough to forego a future purchase that Alegria may come out with that you do like?

Just a few thoughts I would consider if I was thinking about it.

@geezerette 

All valid considerations.  I think I'll explore local repair options then base my decision on cost.  (I also have that red crocodile in a Mary Jane.)

I officially ditched my red Italian hiking boots Friday morning.  I'd left them on the patio and wore them inside the house -- in the muck -- exclusively.  I won't replace them. 

Researching shoe repair shops should be fun...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Call it a hangover from Acceptance August, but I'm finding myself using an expression an awful lot lately.

Often there are threads here listing expressions we hate.  The one that comes to mind is "at the end of the day."

Another that was so overused it was like nails on a chalkboard:

It is what it is.

For some reason, I'm thinking it several times a day.  I even said it at work the other night.

Talk about acceptance.  But it is what it is.