Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

@geezerette - I agree about the neighbors. It's not so bad if you know who they will be, but I'm afraid that if we ever move that we will have awful neighbors. At our old house we were lucky to have good neighbors. Now we have some neighbors, but they are not right next to us, We don't have to see them if we don't want to and that's nice. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee - a new roof! That's awesome! At least it sounds like they're making some progress, even if it is slow. 

Respected Contributor

So I would love to minimize and declutter all the excess "stuff" around this place, but hubby and the kids are derailing me at every turn. 

Yesterday hubby decided that he was going to buy a new/used treadmill. He takes the kids with him and drags home a beast of a machine. Really??? That thing was as big as a small car.

Well, the kids are getting older and don't use their play room in the basement for "playing" a lot anymore. So we decide to do some re-arranging and put all his exercise equipment (that he never uses) in their playroom. Now it's a playroom/exercise room.

We do manage to get rid of an air hockey table that was free and doesn't work very well, and 2 bean bag chairs that have lost most of their fluff. But still. Now we have the giant treadmill, an elliptical, a recumbant bike and a total gym all in the "playroom". All facing the TV of course so you can watch while you work out. 

I shouldn't complain, it really doesn't look too bad in there and the kids seem to really like it. Maybe having a nice set up will encourage everyone to exercise more. I do have to admit, the treadill is nice, I might even use it. It's just so big! Makes decluttering some makeup or skincare seem miniscule in comparison. 

And don't even get me started on the new tree stand and compound bow that he recently got too. We have SO much of that stuff, I can't even begin to tell you. I've honestly lost count there's so much. Sigh. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Oh, yeah... denim shirts.  I had a bunch of them in the 90s that I lived in.  So practical.

I still have "big" shirts that I throw on over a tee or turtleneck, but if I see a great denim shirt I might be tempted.

Gotta get this dog out then go check out our new roof.  And see if my plants froze. Woman Sad

@just bee 

You have a roof!  Yay!👏  One step at a time...

Yeah, we had a good frost here last night.  It was 35 degrees colder this morning than yesterday morning.  Yesterday I had the a/c going with 90% humidity, by evening the furnace had kicked in with about 25% humidity. And I wonder why I have sinus headaches...🤕

@geezerette 

Now we have to hope it works with the new brick.  Weird, but as cold as it was my houseplants didn't freeze.  I'll have to go water them today.

Most of the brick is off the house but they can't get to the areas where landscaping's blocking their way.  We'll lose a lot of plants.  I just don't want to witness the massacre. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

So I would love to minimize and declutter all the excess "stuff" around this place, but hubby and the kids are derailing me at every turn. 

Yesterday hubby decided that he was going to buy a new/used treadmill. He takes the kids with him and drags home a beast of a machine. Really??? That thing was as big as a small car.

Well, the kids are getting older and don't use their play room in the basement for "playing" a lot anymore. So we decide to do some re-arranging and put all his exercise equipment (that he never uses) in their playroom. Now it's a playroom/exercise room.

We do manage to get rid of an air hockey table that was free and doesn't work very well, and 2 bean bag chairs that have lost most of their fluff. But still. Now we have the giant treadmill, an elliptical, a recumbant bike and a total gym all in the "playroom". All facing the TV of course so you can watch while you work out. 

I shouldn't complain, it really doesn't look too bad in there and the kids seem to really like it. Maybe having a nice set up will encourage everyone to exercise more. I do have to admit, the treadill is nice, I might even use it. It's just so big! Makes decluttering some makeup or skincare seem miniscule in comparison. 

And don't even get me started on the new tree stand and compound bow that he recently got too. We have SO much of that stuff, I can't even begin to tell you. I've honestly lost count there's so much. Sigh. 

@rnmom 

Well... at least a treadmill is useful.  If it doesn't get used it will be a problem.

A home gym doesn't sound so bad.  But the weight of the "stuff" is a real concern, isn't it?

Sometimes I wonder why I let some things go while I kept other things and I can't say I really know for sure.  I'm still trying to figure out why I kept some things in the first place.  Wonder why I didn't part with them sooner.

And sometimes I think I regret parting with certain items, but then I think about having them again and I don't know if I'd even want them.  So much wasn't used.  Things existed but had no purpose.

I just know I don't want to live in a warehouse again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

After my husband was in the hospital, I came home and looked at my home and couldn't believe it was even mine. It looked like a bomb went off!!
I think stress is responsible for a lot of the problems We feel in our daily life..
Clutter leads to chaos. Then we worry about things.
So does the world move towards order or chaos? I think it moves towards order.
Sometimes if I turn off news I feel better about things.
If I watch TV much I am not as happy. I have noticed this.
Yes, this month is flying by at high speed.

April skies, sorry to hear about your family member.I know how hard that is.

rnmom, just do the best you can. That's all we can ever really do anyways.
We only have the illusion we have control over things.
That is partially true. The biggest problems we will face are out of our control. Things just happen without much rhyme or reason. I think it's just called life.

Take care all, Brisk out for the night. Tired...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brisky wrote:
After my husband was in the hospital, I came home and looked at my home and couldn't believe it was even mine. It looked like a bomb went off!!
I think stress is responsible for a lot of the problems We feel in our daily life..
Clutter leads to chaos. Then we worry about things.
So does the world move towards order or chaos? I think it moves towards order.
Sometimes if I turn off news I feel better about things.
If I watch TV much I am not as happy. I have noticed this.
Yes, this month is flying by at high speed.

April skies, sorry to hear about your family member.I know how hard that is.

rnmom, just do the best you can. That's all we can ever really do anyways.
We only have the illusion we have control over things.
That is partially true. The biggest problems we will face are out of our control. Things just happen without much rhyme or reason. I think it's just called life.

Take care all, Brisk out for the night. Tired...

@Brisky 

Wise words.

All we can hope to control is how we respond to the things that happen to us that are out of our control.

But it's the out-of-control events that generate growth, wisdom, experience and some dam_ed good stories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beauty update.

I really like the Equate version of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser.  The next few weeks will be the test because it will be colder and drier.  Let's see if my face survives.

Oddly, BH, whose skin is generally good, is breaking out like a 14 year-old.  He's been using the CeraVe cleanser and moisturizing cream.  I suggested the cream is too thick so I gave him what was left of my Paula's Choice cleanser and an almost full jar of Lumene Glow Reveal facial moisturizer.

I opened a new jar for myself and noticed that they've changed the jar.  New design.  Not only that but I was surprised to see that it was filled to the brim and there were no air pockets.  That jar is solid product.  Right now I'm trying to figure out if there are any changes in the actual product.  It seems less "rosy" on my skin.  Not a bad thing -- just different.

Still using Raw Sugar in the shower.  I noticed that line is expanding -- lots of new products including men's shower items.  Still not sure why men require different soap -- BH says he's fine with the stuff we've been using.

I might try the Raw Sugar hand soap when I run out of Mrs. Meyer's.  (Right now the Meyer's scents I like are basil and radish and radish is hard to find.)

Eye shadow.  I have a lot of it.  I'm using what I'd bought before the fire (the LG Pink Grapefruit blush, too) and I don't think I'll ever use it all.  Another poster made a good point.  When her hair was no longer brown, she stopped using the brown shadows.

I don't know when my hair will change completely from brown to whatever it will become but I know I'll still have a ton of these neutral shadows.  I have to remind myself that these were not expensive and I probably should have tossed them after the fire anyway.

Still don't miss my fragrances.  And that really surprises me.

Still using Suave on my hair.  And that surprises me, too.

Yesterday I sat down to check for sale prices on my "staples" and realized I don't need anything.  More important is that I don't want anything.  The only thing I could use is a new tube of toothpaste.

This is what I was working towards.  I keep picturing the bathroom closet.  What will fill it when we move back into the house?  Alcohol, peroxide, aspirin, Band-aids, cotton swabs, deodorant, razor blades, Vicks... pretty basic stuff. 

This will be weird. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, the problem with addiction is that when you address one you often end up developing another to replace it.

I've dealt with my addiction to white cheddar popcorn.  I told BH to stop bringing it into the house.  But that hasn't stopped him from buying the big bag of Kettle chips from Costco.

But I only dabble in Kettle chips -- no full-blown addiction there.

I have managed to stay away from the bakery section and cookie aisles and I've even kept ice cream out of the house.

But I've gone to the dark side.  There was a thread about discontinued foods that we miss and I mentioned that I haven't had a Stella D'oro cookie since we moved here.  I imagine I had a few when I visited my mother and sister in California because they were something that were always in the house, but I just never saw them in stores here.  A poster mentioned they were available at Target and as it turns out they are at my Target.  The one Target in the city that carries them.

I've consumed four packages since September 23.  I've scored four more.

They no longer make the assortment that includes "the little green ones" that Ray Sharkey mentions in The Idolmaker, but I'm adjusting to the new assortment.  I miss that old assortment.

But every time I take a bite of a Stella D'oro breakfast treat I am filled with joy.  Twenty-five years is a long time to go without a Stella D'oro.

Stella D'oro

I just opened a new package and ate two breakfast treats.

I'm lost.

Honored Contributor

For the record, I do not dunk my D'oros.