Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

@geezerette wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Just Bee - Your 3 day conference sounds amazing! It will be a great adventure for you to try something totally out of safe zone and by yourself. We will expect a full review once you return! You never know, maybe you'll fall in love with qigong! Smiley Happy I gotta admit that I googled it since I hadn't heard the term previously....per 1 site:

Qigong practice typically involves moving meditation, coordinating slow-flowing movement, deep rhythmic breathing, and a calm meditative state of mind.

it sort of sounds like tai chi? I had tried that and failed miserably LOL I couldn't get into the super slow moves and just wasn't feeling mindful enough for it. However, whenever I see it in movies, I always think "don't they look calm and peaceful?"

@FindingMyJoy 

@just bee 

Exactly!  This is me, too.  Even doing my Pilates, I tend to do them more like calisthenics.  I just can't get into the slow and calm thing.  Just like my whole life and personality.  So it's not surprising.

🐝, the trip sounds nice, even if it's not all pleasure.  Might do you good, despite your misgivings.  BH must be concerned about you, or he wouldn't have gone ahead and made reservations.  It's just a shame that the three of you can't take a couple of days and go on a short trip together.  I think that would be more beneficial to both of you right now.

@geezerette 

You're probably right.  But we've been stuck together since the fire and maybe a little break would be good, too.  All we do is focus on what needs to be done on the house.  There's no joy in it.  It's a job.  Too many things to consider and decide on.

Oh, well.  Gotta get this dog out for a walk then think about a nap before work.

Qigong.  What was I thinking? Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@dex wrote:

Healthy eating interests me but it is also time consuming to cook that type of meal.I like quick and simple so hoping to find some new ideas here.

Welcome! I agree it seems time consuming to cook healthier. Last month, I made Thai Spring Rolls for the first time. They were healthy since lots of veggies in it and plain shrimp for protein. However the actual prep of the veggies took a super long time to cut them up. I think I need to raid my kitchen appliances to see what I have to make veggie prep go faster. I know I have gadgets collecting dust...

One of my friends who is super healthy and works out hard each day to stay fit, has the most boring food diet - basically chicken breast with a veggie for each lunch/dinner. Avoids carbs like they are the devil. I always ask myself, am I willing to eat such a bland diet to lose weight? I answer "nope! I would be 1 super crabby person if i did!" I should probably work on just including 1-2 meals a week that is super healthy...moderation is the key? or so they say....

@dex 

@FindingMyJoy 

That's one of my biggest obstacles to eating healthy too.  It's so time consuming to fix.  I'm lazy and don't have enough money to hire a private chef to fix my meals.  And I can't think ahead of time to fix something to be ready for when I actually am hungry.  So I tend to grab things at the last minute when I'm starving.  Food that is "grab able" tends to be not so good for you.  Even the few things that are good and still able to grab, I overeat--because I can get them easily.

And the problem with the ready-made food that is marketed as "healthy" is that it's usually not.  

Just this morning I heard a new study came out that says there is almost no health benefits from limiting red meat.  Everything gets refuted if you wait long enough.  One of these days they'll say that eating a diet of junk food is healthy.  Trouble is, I feel awful when I do that. 

Honored Contributor

My random thought for the day:

Why is it that my shopping lists are shorter, my bags fewer, but my receipts stay at the same level?   🤨

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I guess I didn't do a very good job of not buying in September.  On the bright side, I didn't spend as much as I have been, at least on discretionary items.

I just got a credit card bill with seven items listed, only one of which I actually needed (and even then, I don't need it immediately) and one I already returned.  I'm definitely going to have to control this better.

Also, I experimented last month with purchasing my local goods with credit cards instead of mostly cash like I usually do.  I think I spent more that way too.  Going to go back to cash when I can, I think.  It's too easy to overspend with a credit card.  It must make more of an impression on me when I have to actually hand over dollar bills.  Or, more often, twenties and even hundreds.  💸💸

Super Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I wonder if we have to wear those stick-on name tags.

I'm a creature of habit.  This throws my routine out the window.

Maybe if I tell myself that this is my 60th birthday gift to myself that will help.  And since I'll be gone for a few days, maybe I can think of it as BH's birthday gift, too.

I imagine he's thinking just that.

@just bee  Well, we made our special arrival around the same time. I turned 60 today!

Honored Contributor

@lil spot wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Maybe if I tell myself that this is my 60th birthday gift to myself that will help.  And since I'll be gone for a few days, maybe I can think of it as BH's birthday gift, too.

@just bee  Well, we made our special arrival around the same time. I turned 60 today!

@lil spot 

Happy Slightly-Belated Birthday!  🎉🎈🎁🎊🎂

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, I guess I didn't do a very good job of not buying in September.  On the bright side, I didn't spend as much as I have been, at least on discretionary items.

I just got a credit card bill with seven items listed, only one of which I actually needed (and even then, I don't need it immediately) and one I already returned.  I'm definitely going to have to control this better.

Also, I experimented last month with purchasing my local goods with credit cards instead of mostly cash like I usually do.  I think I spent more that way too.  Going to go back to cash when I can, I think.  It's too easy to overspend with a credit card.  It must make more of an impression on me when I have to actually hand over dollar bills.  Or, more often, twenties and even hundreds.  💸💸

I agree it's too easy to overspend when you just swipe a magical card not actually hand over cash for something. I find it's most often for me at grocery store. I will go in with my list then see some special seasonal thing that's NOT on my list...but I feel the need to buy it. Then 1 bag of groceries is overflowing into a 2nd bag. The worst part of it all - i get home and go to put the groceries away, I find that my cabinets are overflowing with extra stuff I still haven't used from prior trips!

My goal this month - not going to buy any of the "extras". Stick to my list only. PLUS even bigger goal - find recipes to use up what's in my cabinets. I'm feeling really wasteful having so much stuff sitting uneated. Eventhough it's pantry type items that won't spoil soon, feel guily having a stockpile of random stuff. 

Trusted Contributor

@lil spot wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Happy belated birthday! I hope you enjoyed your day! Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

I had a moment this morning that made me wonder "what the heck have I been doing??" As I've mentioned previously, my biggest compacting goal is to use up my abundance of body cream etc. I've been forcing myself to use the current tube of body cream. Each time that I've put it on the last week, I've thought to myself I don't love this scent...why do i have so many of them? Oh yeah, reason i have them - HSN had a really great priced auto delivery plan that I've had delivered 3 times and just stockpiled them. Never really thinking "do I love this scent?" Oh yes that auto delivery has been canceled! No more for me. Just shaking my head at the sheer stupidity of it. Trying to tell myself at least now I know i don't love this scent to ever buy it again on its own. 

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I agree it's too easy to overspend when you just swipe a magical card not actually hand over cash for something. I find it's most often for me at grocery store. I will go in with my list then see some special seasonal thing that's NOT on my list...but I feel the need to buy it. Then 1 bag of groceries is overflowing into a 2nd bag. The worst part of it all - i get home and go to put the groceries away, I find that my cabinets are overflowing with extra stuff I still haven't used from prior trips!

My goal this month - not going to buy any of the "extras". Stick to my list only. PLUS even bigger goal - find recipes to use up what's in my cabinets. I'm feeling really wasteful having so much stuff sitting uneated. Eventhough it's pantry type items that won't spoil soon, feel guily having a stockpile of random stuff. 

@FindingMyJoy 

Me too!  And you can bet that it's usually not vegetables I end up getting!

🍩🍪🍭🍬🍫🍿🧁🥧🍦🍨🍰😋☺️