Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

My driver's license expires this month so I'm going to DMV to renew it. I should never have watched the adorable movie Zootopia because in it they show the DMV workers as sloths moving super duper slow...now whenever I need to go there, I just see a bunch of sloths working LOL I'm sure they are just lovely people at home but come on people speed up your work a bit! Just a little! You can do it! Please don't act like renewing someone's license is going to kill you. I mean you no harm, I come in peace. I just want a new license eventhough I don't see the point...i'm just following the laws. Take pity on me and stamp the papers fast so I can leave and live the rest of my life peacefully until it expires again! Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Beauty update.

I really like the Equate version of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser.  The next few weeks will be the test because it will be colder and drier.  Let's see if my face survives.

Oddly, BH, whose skin is generally good, is breaking out like a 14 year-old.  He's been using the CeraVe cleanser and moisturizing cream.  I suggested the cream is too thick so I gave him what was left of my Paula's Choice cleanser and an almost full jar of Lumene Glow Reveal facial moisturizer.

I opened a new jar for myself and noticed that they've changed the jar.  New design.  Not only that but I was surprised to see that it was filled to the brim and there were no air pockets.  That jar is solid product.  Right now I'm trying to figure out if there are any changes in the actual product.  It seems less "rosy" on my skin.  Not a bad thing -- just different.

Still using Raw Sugar in the shower.  I noticed that line is expanding -- lots of new products including men's shower items.  Still not sure why men require different soap -- BH says he's fine with the stuff we've been using.

I might try the Raw Sugar hand soap when I run out of Mrs. Meyer's.  (Right now the Meyer's scents I like are basil and radish and radish is hard to find.)

Eye shadow.  I have a lot of it.  I'm using what I'd bought before the fire (the LG Pink Grapefruit blush, too) and I don't think I'll ever use it all.  Another poster made a good point.  When her hair was no longer brown, she stopped using the brown shadows.

I don't know when my hair will change completely from brown to whatever it will become but I know I'll still have a ton of these neutral shadows.  I have to remind myself that these were not expensive and I probably should have tossed them after the fire anyway.

Still don't miss my fragrances.  And that really surprises me.

Still using Suave on my hair.  And that surprises me, too.

Yesterday I sat down to check for sale prices on my "staples" and realized I don't need anything.  More important is that I don't want anything.  The only thing I could use is a new tube of toothpaste.

This is what I was working towards.  I keep picturing the bathroom closet.  What will fill it when we move back into the house?  Alcohol, peroxide, aspirin, Band-aids, cotton swabs, deodorant, razor blades, Vicks... pretty basic stuff. 

This will be weird. Woman LOL

That is a great mindset to have that you realized you don't need anything NOR do you want anything!! I look forward to that day where I can do the same. 

I feel for your BH. It's horrible when the acne flares up especially if it's been clear then explodes. Whatever happened to the myth that only teenagers get acne? Why couldn't that 1 myth be true?? 

I have some older acne discolorations that don't appear to be fading any time soon. Yep, I was bad and couldn't leave the zits alone...I was a picker. I did buy the recent Isomers vitamin C TSV that's supposed to be good for fading spots. If it makes an impact, it was worth me breaking my no new skincare goal. I'm tired of the spots and hate spending time trying to hide them when I go out. 

@FindingMyJoy 

Like death and taxes, acne is forever.

But BH is one of those annoying people that had pretty good skin.  This acne thing is unusual for him.

Could just be that he's nearing 50.  Things fall apart at 50.  I have less than a week left of my fifties so I imagine I'll have a whole new set of issues.  I'm thinking either my teeth or gums will go.  Maybe both.

One good thing about acne.  Maybe it makes others believe we're younger than we are.  A perk?

@just bee 

They do seem to.  Although I made it through the fifties fine, I started to fall apart shortly after I hit 60.  (See what you have to look forward to?🤣)

The reason that particular sentence of yours struck me is that I found out this past week that the young couple (well, they're in their early fifties) that are like kids to me seem to be splitting up.  These are people that have been happy and in love since they were in their twenties.  Seems like all of a sudden he wants to throw it all up in the air for some twenty-something he "met" on the internet!  (I thought that kind of stuff only happened in the movies.)  She's a basket case and has no idea what she's going to do.  To make matters even worse, they work together, so she's taken a leave of absence and doesn't want to go back.  She's presently staying with her daughter but can't stay too long because it's prohibited in the daughter's lease.  So, it looks like I'm going to get a house guest.  

I'm just starting to enjoy being by myself again, but what can I do?  This kid would not only let me stay at her house indefinitely, but she'd wait on me hand and foot while I was there.  She is an absolute sweetheart.  And selfishly I figure if I don't step up when she needs me, she won't be there when I need her.  (Yeah, it's all about me.)

But I just really don't want the drama.  I still have enough of that going on in my own head.  It gives me a headache just thinking about it. Oh well.  Maybe something else will work out for her before it gets to that.  Or maybe my head will explode with an aneurysm before that.

What was @Brisky saying about things being beyond our control?  🤪

@geezerette 

Well, sounds like she's going to need support and that's you with a capital S.

Working together makes it even more complicated.  Nothing like humiliating your spouse in front of her coworkers.

I hear ya about the drama part.  This one is messy.

She seems like a good person and it's important that she stays a good person.  That means she has to be around good people.  Tag -- you're it!

I could go on about how things always happen for a reason even if we have no clue as to what that reason might be. 

Another case of humans behaving badly.  I don't know them but I feel bad for both of them.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

My driver's license expires this month so I'm going to DMV to renew it. I should never have watched the adorable movie Zootopia because in it they show the DMV workers as sloths moving super duper slow...now whenever I need to go there, I just see a bunch of sloths working LOL I'm sure they are just lovely people at home but come on people speed up your work a bit! Just a little! You can do it! Please don't act like renewing someone's license is going to kill you. I mean you no harm, I come in peace. I just want a new license eventhough I don't see the point...i'm just following the laws. Take pity on me and stamp the papers fast so I can leave and live the rest of my life peacefully until it expires again! Smiley Tongue

@FindingMyJoy 

Sloth

I'm on my break.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I can renew my license on my computer. Much easier.

Geezerette, I don't have gas!😁 LMAO, STILL LAUGHING!!! Sorry, I just had to go there.
On a serious note, what is your neighbors husband thinking? He is in his 50's. Why would this guy throw her over for twenty something he met over internet?
I don't see this working out for him. Just saying people who leap to fast are the ones who make mistakes. I guess only time will tell....
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Beauty update.

I really like the Equate version of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser.  The next few weeks will be the test because it will be colder and drier.  Let's see if my face survives.

Oddly, BH, whose skin is generally good, is breaking out like a 14 year-old.  He's been using the CeraVe cleanser and moisturizing cream.  I suggested the cream is too thick so I gave him what was left of my Paula's Choice cleanser and an almost full jar of Lumene Glow Reveal facial moisturizer.

I opened a new jar for myself and noticed that they've changed the jar.  New design.  Not only that but I was surprised to see that it was filled to the brim and there were no air pockets.  That jar is solid product.  Right now I'm trying to figure out if there are any changes in the actual product.  It seems less "rosy" on my skin.  Not a bad thing -- just different.

Still using Raw Sugar in the shower.  I noticed that line is expanding -- lots of new products including men's shower items.  Still not sure why men require different soap -- BH says he's fine with the stuff we've been using.

I might try the Raw Sugar hand soap when I run out of Mrs. Meyer's.  (Right now the Meyer's scents I like are basil and radish and radish is hard to find.)

Eye shadow.  I have a lot of it.  I'm using what I'd bought before the fire (the LG Pink Grapefruit blush, too) and I don't think I'll ever use it all.  Another poster made a good point.  When her hair was no longer brown, she stopped using the brown shadows.

I don't know when my hair will change completely from brown to whatever it will become but I know I'll still have a ton of these neutral shadows.  I have to remind myself that these were not expensive and I probably should have tossed them after the fire anyway.

Yesterday I sat down to check for sale prices on my "staples" and realized I don't need anything.  More important is that I don't want anything.  The only thing I could use is a new tube of toothpaste.

This is what I was working towards.  I keep picturing the bathroom closet.  What will fill it when we move back into the house?  Alcohol, peroxide, aspirin, Band-aids, cotton swabs, deodorant, razor blades, Vicks... pretty basic stuff. 

That is a great mindset to have that you realized you don't need anything NOR do you want anything!! I look forward to that day where I can do the same. 

I feel for your BH. It's horrible when the acne flares up especially if it's been clear then explodes. Whatever happened to the myth that only teenagers get acne? Why couldn't that 1 myth be true?? 

I have some older acne discolorations that don't appear to be fading any time soon. Yep, I was bad and couldn't leave the zits alone...I was a picker. I did buy the recent Isomers vitamin C TSV that's supposed to be good for fading spots. If it makes an impact, it was worth me breaking my no new skincare goal. I'm tired of the spots and hate spending time trying to hide them when I go out. 

@FindingMyJoy 

But BH is one of those annoying people that had pretty good skin.  This acne thing is unusual for him.

Could just be that he's nearing 50.  Things fall apart at 50.  I have less than a week left of my fifties so I imagine I'll have a whole new set of issues.  I'm thinking either my teeth or gums will go.  Maybe both.

One good thing about acne.  Maybe it makes others believe we're younger than we are.  A perk?

@just bee 

They do seem to.  Although I made it through the fifties fine, I started to fall apart shortly after I hit 60.  (See what you have to look forward to?🤣)

The reason that particular sentence of yours struck me is that I found out this past week that the young couple (well, they're in their early fifties) that are like kids to me seem to be splitting up.  These are people that have been happy and in love since they were in their twenties.  Seems like all of a sudden he wants to throw it all up in the air for some twenty-something he "met" on the internet!  (I thought that kind of stuff only happened in the movies.)  She's a basket case and has no idea what she's going to do.  To make matters even worse, they work together, so she's taken a leave of absence and doesn't want to go back.  She's presently staying with her daughter but can't stay too long because it's prohibited in the daughter's lease.  So, it looks like I'm going to get a house guest.  

I'm just starting to enjoy being by myself again, but what can I do?  This kid would not only let me stay at her house indefinitely, but she'd wait on me hand and foot while I was there.  She is an absolute sweetheart.  And selfishly I figure if I don't step up when she needs me, she won't be there when I need her.  (Yeah, it's all about me.)

But I just really don't want the drama.  I still have enough of that going on in my own head.  It gives me a headache just thinking about it. Oh well.  Maybe something else will work out for her before it gets to that.  Or maybe my head will explode with an aneurysm before that.

@geezerette 

Working together makes it even more complicated.  Nothing like humiliating your spouse in front of her coworkers.

She seems like a good person and it's important that she stays a good person.  That means she has to be around good people.  Tag -- you're it!

I could go on about how things always happen for a reason even if we have no clue as to what that reason might be. 

Another case of humans behaving badly.  I don't know them but I feel bad for both of them.

@just bee 

Yeah, it's a mess.  And the thing is, where they work is our neighborhood water office.  So she took a leave of absence because she doesn't want to be around him.  It's a two-woman office and the other girl is on vacation, so the office is just closed.  Which means the whole frigging neighborhood knows what's going on now.   Talk about drama.

I've been thinking about the "things happen for a reason" aspect.  These were the people I had intended to move near in a few years when I move into town.  This was like a blow to the gut to me, affecting my future too.  But then I thought about it more and figured it was probably a good "heads-up".  I should be glad this happened now, before I counted on them for anything.  I can think further about any future move.

Enough of this.  Gives me a headache just writing second-hand about it.

Back to frivolity.😄

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I can renew my license on my computer. Much easier.

Geezerette, I don't have gas!😁 LMAO, STILL LAUGHING!!! Sorry, I just had to go there.
On a serious note, what is your neighbors husband thinking? He is in his 50's. Why would this guy throw her over for twenty something he met over internet?
I don't see this working out for him. Just saying people who leap to fast are the ones who make mistakes. I guess only time will tell....

@Brisky 

You just keep proving my point!   🤣🤣🤣🤣

Trusted Contributor

Well, fellow compacters, my vacuum just died. I bought the shark in 2015 now the motor died and was sparking.

The vacuum only lasted four years. Nothing is made good like it used to be anymore. My old Kenmore lasted 25 years. 

I have a fused back and need a lightweight stick vacuum can anyone recommend one?

Respected Contributor

I can't say anything about vacuums anymore. They used to last forever for me too. They last me on average, three to four years. I haven't had one last very long in forever. Sorry no help from me.
Did you get rid of your crazy neighbor who killed squirrels?
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Well, fellow compacters, my vacuum just died. I bought the shark in 2015 now the motor died and was sparking.

The vacuum only lasted four years. Nothing is made good like it used to be anymore. My old Kenmore lasted 25 years. 

I have a fused back and need a lightweight stick vacuum can anyone recommend one?

@Squirrel Lover 

Failure is built into everything these days.  Gone are the days when you grew up with the same appliances, cookware, silverware, kitchen utensils, tools -- and carpeting!

Even the high-end stuff dies.  Between the sand and the dog hair, my vacuums just commit suicide.

I'm so not looking forward to buying new appliances and stereo equipment.  We have to replace so much -- I think our replacements will need to be replaced, too. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Beauty update.

@FindingMyJoy 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Yeah, it's a mess.  And the thing is, where they work is our neighborhood water office.  So she took a leave of absence because she doesn't want to be around him.  It's a two-woman office and the other girl is on vacation, so the office is just closed.  Which means the whole frigging neighborhood knows what's going on now.   Talk about drama.

I've been thinking about the "things happen for a reason" aspect.  These were the people I had intended to move near in a few years when I move into town.  This was like a blow to the gut to me, affecting my future too.  But then I thought about it more and figured it was probably a good "heads-up".  I should be glad this happened now, before I counted on them for anything.  I can think further about any future move.

Enough of this.  Gives me a headache just writing second-hand about it.

Back to frivolity.😄

@geezerette 

It's like life demands an alternate plan B.  Can we count on anyone or anything anymore?