Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Out-of-the-Ordinary October

I am a plain Jane compared to you just bee.
I love oatmeal with cinnamon added and tablespoon of Brown sugar or a thee eggs scrambled and toast.
Oatmeal is my first love though. Thing is I hated it when I was a kid.

Glad to hear your roof is up! Since your not buying much now, it will save you a lot of grief when your home is finished. A lot less to move.☺
That's the easiest way to go. That's a smart move if I do say so myself.
Glad they got rid of the red brick at your fireplace too.
It's just another maddening Monday wish it was a Sunday, that's my fun day.
Anyone remember that song?

Anyway, take care everybody!! Brisk out...

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette - I agree about the neighbors. It's not so bad if you know who they will be, but I'm afraid that if we ever move that we will have awful neighbors. At our old house we were lucky to have good neighbors. Now we have some neighbors, but they are not right next to us, We don't have to see them if we don't want to and that's nice. 

I've always had weird luck when it comes to neighbors. It's a blind luck if you get a perfect neighborhood or not...Currently, we have 1 close by neighbor who is super quiet which is good trait for neighbors but it's really odd. If we're outside and he comes into his yard, he will turn his back to us and totally ignore us. It's just really odd, an adult who is scared to even say Hi to a neighbor. Then we got a new neighbor diagonal from us who loooooves blasting music outside. During Summer, I tried to just let it roll but 1 day as I was working at home all I could hear was their music blasting! I went over to nicely ask the teenage son if he could turn it down. He quickly agreed to do that and since they have been better. I guess speaking up is good? I assume the other neighbors just pretended it didn't ignore them or didn't want confrontation. 

When I lived in an apartment, next door neighbors had 2 kids who would run around in their unit so much it sounded like a herd of elephants. They then got bed bugs so the building owners had to come in to my unit and other surrounding units to spray for the bed bugs. I don't miss apartment life LOL. 

In August, there was the National NIght Out picnic on our block. We went to it and saw people we've never seen previously but they live on our block or the next 1 down! So I guess we all just like to stay in our homes, don't interact with others. I always wonder if our neighborhood is normal or if there really are the places where people know their neighbors and do a lot of stuff with them?

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Beauty update.

I really like the Equate version of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser.  The next few weeks will be the test because it will be colder and drier.  Let's see if my face survives.

Oddly, BH, whose skin is generally good, is breaking out like a 14 year-old.  He's been using the CeraVe cleanser and moisturizing cream.  I suggested the cream is too thick so I gave him what was left of my Paula's Choice cleanser and an almost full jar of Lumene Glow Reveal facial moisturizer.

I opened a new jar for myself and noticed that they've changed the jar.  New design.  Not only that but I was surprised to see that it was filled to the brim and there were no air pockets.  That jar is solid product.  Right now I'm trying to figure out if there are any changes in the actual product.  It seems less "rosy" on my skin.  Not a bad thing -- just different.

Still using Raw Sugar in the shower.  I noticed that line is expanding -- lots of new products including men's shower items.  Still not sure why men require different soap -- BH says he's fine with the stuff we've been using.

I might try the Raw Sugar hand soap when I run out of Mrs. Meyer's.  (Right now the Meyer's scents I like are basil and radish and radish is hard to find.)

Eye shadow.  I have a lot of it.  I'm using what I'd bought before the fire (the LG Pink Grapefruit blush, too) and I don't think I'll ever use it all.  Another poster made a good point.  When her hair was no longer brown, she stopped using the brown shadows.

I don't know when my hair will change completely from brown to whatever it will become but I know I'll still have a ton of these neutral shadows.  I have to remind myself that these were not expensive and I probably should have tossed them after the fire anyway.

Still don't miss my fragrances.  And that really surprises me.

Still using Suave on my hair.  And that surprises me, too.

Yesterday I sat down to check for sale prices on my "staples" and realized I don't need anything.  More important is that I don't want anything.  The only thing I could use is a new tube of toothpaste.

This is what I was working towards.  I keep picturing the bathroom closet.  What will fill it when we move back into the house?  Alcohol, peroxide, aspirin, Band-aids, cotton swabs, deodorant, razor blades, Vicks... pretty basic stuff. 

This will be weird. Woman LOL

That is a great mindset to have that you realized you don't need anything NOR do you want anything!! I look forward to that day where I can do the same. 

I feel for your BH. It's horrible when the acne flares up especially if it's been clear then explodes. Whatever happened to the myth that only teenagers get acne? Why couldn't that 1 myth be true?? 

I have some older acne discolorations that don't appear to be fading any time soon. Yep, I was bad and couldn't leave the zits alone...I was a picker. I did buy the recent Isomers vitamin C TSV that's supposed to be good for fading spots. If it makes an impact, it was worth me breaking my no new skincare goal. I'm tired of the spots and hate spending time trying to hide them when I go out. 

Trusted Contributor

This weekend, I finished a 32 ounce Philosophy shower gel so I got to open a new bottle! I have realized I really get drawn into the Philosophy sales pitch when they are on...I feel the need to buy buy buy!!! But then I use the body care products and don't love it. LIke this shower gel, it was ok scent but I won't buy again since there is other stuff i know I love better. I did take a moment to look at my online purchases, proud to say that my purchases from any of the tv sales channels has majorly dropped off this year! Tiny victories!!! 

A highlight from this weekend - I went to a local apple orchard to buy some great honeycrisp and sweetango apples! I love great fresh Fall apples! I try to enjoy as many as I can during the Fall since I know the winter apples won't compare. Of course, I now have so many apples that it will be my main fruit I eat for weeks. 

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy, Vitamin c is the best way to go for Hyperpigment. I have never tried their products.
Let us know how it's working for you. Updates please.
Ok, Brisk has to go. Brisk out for real this time😌
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I am a plain Jane compared to you just bee.
I love oatmeal with cinnamon added and tablespoon of Brown sugar or a thee eggs scrambled and toast.
Oatmeal is my first love though. Thing is I hated it when I was a kid.

Glad to hear your roof is up! Since your not buying much now, it will save you a lot of grief when your home is finished. A lot less to move.☺
That's the easiest way to go. That's a smart move if I do say so myself.
Glad they got rid of the red brick at your fireplace too.
It's just another maddening Monday wish it was a Sunday, that's my fun day.
Anyone remember that song?

Anyway, take care everybody!! Brisk out...

@Brisky 

BH mentioned that the other night when I was trimming the fat off some chicken thighs and using basic scissors.  I said we needed to replace our kitchen shears and he said it would just be one more thing to move -- regular scissors are good enough for now.

Good point.

As for oatmeal...

I've always been a fan and I can't say no to an oatmeal raisin cookie. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette - I agree about the neighbors. It's not so bad if you know who they will be, but I'm afraid that if we ever move that we will have awful neighbors. At our old house we were lucky to have good neighbors. Now we have some neighbors, but they are not right next to us, We don't have to see them if we don't want to and that's nice. 

I've always had weird luck when it comes to neighbors. It's a blind luck if you get a perfect neighborhood or not...Currently, we have 1 close by neighbor who is super quiet which is good trait for neighbors but it's really odd. If we're outside and he comes into his yard, he will turn his back to us and totally ignore us. It's just really odd, an adult who is scared to even say Hi to a neighbor. Then we got a new neighbor diagonal from us who loooooves blasting music outside. During Summer, I tried to just let it roll but 1 day as I was working at home all I could hear was their music blasting! I went over to nicely ask the teenage son if he could turn it down. He quickly agreed to do that and since they have been better. I guess speaking up is good? I assume the other neighbors just pretended it didn't ignore them or didn't want confrontation. 

When I lived in an apartment, next door neighbors had 2 kids who would run around in their unit so much it sounded like a herd of elephants. They then got bed bugs so the building owners had to come in to my unit and other surrounding units to spray for the bed bugs. I don't miss apartment life LOL. 

In August, there was the National NIght Out picnic on our block. We went to it and saw people we've never seen previously but they live on our block or the next 1 down! So I guess we all just like to stay in our homes, don't interact with others. I always wonder if our neighborhood is normal or if there really are the places where people know their neighbors and do a lot of stuff with them?

@FindingMyJoy 

I often wonder about this.  Do people mix and mingle with their neighbors? 

The front porch has disappeared.  We're thinking of putting a sitting area in front of our house so we can take advantage of our view.

Would we really sit out there?  All exposed and everything?  Forced to see our neighbors?

We do have one we really like.  Our dog is in love with him.

I trust his judgment.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Beauty update.

I really like the Equate version of the CeraVe hydrating cleanser.  The next few weeks will be the test because it will be colder and drier.  Let's see if my face survives.

Oddly, BH, whose skin is generally good, is breaking out like a 14 year-old.  He's been using the CeraVe cleanser and moisturizing cream.  I suggested the cream is too thick so I gave him what was left of my Paula's Choice cleanser and an almost full jar of Lumene Glow Reveal facial moisturizer.

I opened a new jar for myself and noticed that they've changed the jar.  New design.  Not only that but I was surprised to see that it was filled to the brim and there were no air pockets.  That jar is solid product.  Right now I'm trying to figure out if there are any changes in the actual product.  It seems less "rosy" on my skin.  Not a bad thing -- just different.

Still using Raw Sugar in the shower.  I noticed that line is expanding -- lots of new products including men's shower items.  Still not sure why men require different soap -- BH says he's fine with the stuff we've been using.

I might try the Raw Sugar hand soap when I run out of Mrs. Meyer's.  (Right now the Meyer's scents I like are basil and radish and radish is hard to find.)

Eye shadow.  I have a lot of it.  I'm using what I'd bought before the fire (the LG Pink Grapefruit blush, too) and I don't think I'll ever use it all.  Another poster made a good point.  When her hair was no longer brown, she stopped using the brown shadows.

I don't know when my hair will change completely from brown to whatever it will become but I know I'll still have a ton of these neutral shadows.  I have to remind myself that these were not expensive and I probably should have tossed them after the fire anyway.

Still don't miss my fragrances.  And that really surprises me.

Still using Suave on my hair.  And that surprises me, too.

Yesterday I sat down to check for sale prices on my "staples" and realized I don't need anything.  More important is that I don't want anything.  The only thing I could use is a new tube of toothpaste.

This is what I was working towards.  I keep picturing the bathroom closet.  What will fill it when we move back into the house?  Alcohol, peroxide, aspirin, Band-aids, cotton swabs, deodorant, razor blades, Vicks... pretty basic stuff. 

This will be weird. Woman LOL

That is a great mindset to have that you realized you don't need anything NOR do you want anything!! I look forward to that day where I can do the same. 

I feel for your BH. It's horrible when the acne flares up especially if it's been clear then explodes. Whatever happened to the myth that only teenagers get acne? Why couldn't that 1 myth be true?? 

I have some older acne discolorations that don't appear to be fading any time soon. Yep, I was bad and couldn't leave the zits alone...I was a picker. I did buy the recent Isomers vitamin C TSV that's supposed to be good for fading spots. If it makes an impact, it was worth me breaking my no new skincare goal. I'm tired of the spots and hate spending time trying to hide them when I go out. 

@FindingMyJoy 

Like death and taxes, acne is forever.

But BH is one of those annoying people that had pretty good skin.  This acne thing is unusual for him.

Could just be that he's nearing 50.  Things fall apart at 50.  I have less than a week left of my fifties so I imagine I'll have a whole new set of issues.  I'm thinking either my teeth or gums will go.  Maybe both.

One good thing about acne.  Maybe it makes others believe we're younger than we are.  A perk?

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

This weekend, I finished a 32 ounce Philosophy shower gel so I got to open a new bottle! I have realized I really get drawn into the Philosophy sales pitch when they are on...I feel the need to buy buy buy!!! But then I use the body care products and don't love it. LIke this shower gel, it was ok scent but I won't buy again since there is other stuff i know I love better. I did take a moment to look at my online purchases, proud to say that my purchases from any of the tv sales channels has majorly dropped off this year! Tiny victories!!! 

A highlight from this weekend - I went to a local apple orchard to buy some great honeycrisp and sweetango apples! I love great fresh Fall apples! I try to enjoy as many as I can during the Fall since I know the winter apples won't compare. Of course, I now have so many apples that it will be my main fruit I eat for weeks. 

@FindingMyJoy 

The big news story this week was about champagne apples.  Dixon, a famous New Mexico orchard, was completely destroyed a few years ago.  With some grafting, they've recreated the champagne apple in Wisconsin.  People stood in line for hours to buy what little they had brought back to New Mexico.

Apple people are dedicated people.

Enjoy yours!  They're good for you.

Respected Contributor

Just bee, I had a golden named Midas.
We had some neighbors two doors down come over and Midas didn't like them one bit! He was right! They were not our friends. They were weird and some how he noticed it. I could see it in his face and actions.
After that night my husband and I said once was enough. Midas was happy too.
I have got to go and I'm still at my therapy thread.
I'm really out now, Take Care everybody, Brisk out for real now!!!!