Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -wow that is a really good list! 

I haven't really thought about it that specifically, but in general terms I'd say:

spending quality time with hubby

spending more time with the kids doing fun things like playing games or watching movies, maybe finding some fall/winter/Christmas activities

eating good, warm comfort food

warm fires in the fireplace (and  maybe smores too)

sprucing up the house to make it more warm and welcoming feeling, whether that is new decor, cleaning, etc

It got cold here really fast, snow and cold here to stay, really early for us. So I just feel like hunkering down and staying inside. I am not a fan of the cold weather and it seems like the winters are getting longer every year. 

@rnmom, @just bee I haven’t thought about it either.  I think all of the things mentioned are good ones and will steal some of them. I do wish I had a fireplace, sounds so cozy when the winter starts howling. 

I think for me, I want to just start taking care of myself better health wise and need to define what that looks like. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee, I have actually started using my body and hand lotions again. I stopped using them religiously for a while. But I am trying again to remember to use them. I just bought amlactin to use on my legs and hands. I dread shaving these days as I seem to get ingrown hairs that make me crazy. I am hoping this helps exfoliate a bit since the salux cloth doesn’t seem to do the trick. I have also started using it on my hands. I need some help there. I also have other moisturizers to use up as well.  These days I don’t care as much about moisturizer, weird. 

@aprilskies 

All I know is that I never want to collect the amount of lotions and body creams I'd collected before.  I can't believe I'm turning into one of those people who is more interested in a fragrance-free product.

I was the person who had to have every "flavor" of shower gel and spent way too much time trying to match scents to my moods.  Now I have one shower product, one scent.  And this CeraVe might turn out to be the one body moisturizer.

I just want to keep the toiletries under control.  After all, I'm going to have to move again in a few months.

@just bee, yes, same here, I will not accumulate any beauty products again and this I am sure of. I threw out way too much this year and just recently discovered more that turned not even touched so in the trash they went. 

I, like your Bh, was using the cerave cream on my face because I ran out of my face cream and just didn’t have time to get another one.  It did the job but I didn’t love it for my face but for the body, it is good.  

I think for the first time in years I dont know what the newest beauty thing is or what is coming out or....   It was amazing when I needed a new face cream, I had no idea what to buy. I was sort of stuck which felt weird. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

I haven't really thought about it that specifically, but in general terms I'd say:

spending more time with the kids doing fun things like playing games or watching movies, maybe finding some fall/winter/Christmas activities

sprucing up the house to make it more warm and welcoming feeling, whether that is new decor, cleaning, etc

It got cold here really fast, snow and cold here to stay, really early for us. So I just feel like hunkering down and staying inside. I am not a fan of the cold weather and it seems like the winters are getting longer every year. 

@rnmom, @just bee I haven’t thought about it either.  I think all of the things mentioned are good ones and will steal some of them. I do wish I had a fireplace, sounds so cozy when the winter starts howling. 

I think for me, I want to just start taking care of myself better health wise and need to define what that looks like. 

@aprilskies 

Self-care comes up a lot when you're a nurse.  It even came up a lot at the qigong conference.  The point being you can't take care of anyone or anything if you don't take care of yourself first.

That goes back to my belief that food is medicine.  Our qigong instructor said something similar: The grocery store is your pharmacy.

The healthcare industry is moving towards holistic medicine: Mind, body, spirit.  And it's moving at a snail's pace.  Patients sometimes want a quick fix.  A pill is easier than the effort it takes for self-care.

I think we have to figure out what we can do to address the mind-body-spirit issues.  For me, body means food, movement and sleep.  If I don't get that balance right, my mind won't be in the right place.  And that's where spirit comes in.  For me, the spirit needs to be fed.  All the things on the nurture list help with that.

Oddly, I forgot to add art.  And nature.

We found a new park yesterday that is like a treasure hunt.  A plaque tells you how many of each metal animal to find.  I noticed there were bees.  I told BH I wouldn't leave until I found at least one.

So there we were, in the New Mexico sun, walking through a park with native plants and metal sculptures, trying to find as many as possible.  I had the best time.

So try to come up with your self-care plan.  What does your body need to function the way you want it to?  Same with your mind.  What feeds your spirit?

Start making a list.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I have to add work.  It's not always nurturing exactly, but every now and then it can be fulfilling and make you feel that you have a worthwhile purpose.  Makes you keep going back.

@just bee 

You beat me to it once again.  I was going to say that "work" was suspiciously absent from your nurturing list.

It can give you a sense of satisfaction or accomplishment.  Even the small things.  Every time I walk past my house now, I see my nice clean trim (as long as I don't look at the parts I can't get to 😉).  It gives me a sense of satisfaction that I actually did all that myself.

Although I don't actually have to walk past it to know I did all that myself.  My back is letting me know every single minute just how fulfilling it was...😩

@geezerette 

Work is actually a big one.  Whether it's at a job, at home, in the yard or as a volunteer.

If we don't get that one right, we're in trouble.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

And that's why I like cold weather.  Maybe it's childhood memories of bundling up with mittens, hats and scarves.  Flannel.  Socks.  And the one thing I will never part with: Sweatshirts.

I put on a sweatshirt and all is right with the world.  What is it about fleece?  Sheep must be very happy creatures.

Happy

Honored Contributor

IMG_20191109_101015606.jpg

Getting ready to take WGD out before I have to be at a meeting for work.  We actually went to four different parks yesterday and we sat on a petio and had lunch.

This is a shot of WGD and one of the bees at that new park I'd mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

IMG_20191109_101015606.jpg

Getting ready to take WGD out before I have to be at a meeting for work.  We actually went to four different parks yesterday and we sat on a petio and had lunch.

This is a shot of WGD and one of the bees at that new park I'd mentioned.

@just bee 

WGD is a beauty!  And aptly titled, might I add.  😉

Pretty neat to have a park in your honor!  😄👍

It sounds like you're taking your own advice and doing some nice nurturing for November.  Good for the whole family.  Now, to try and work it into your normal routine.  It's sort of like they say about money: pay yourself first.  

Nurture yourselves first.  Everything else can, and will, wait.  (Except it's still a good idea to show up for work on time.😉)

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

WGD's always formally dressed, too. Heart

Yup, we all have to think about finding ways to take care of ourselves and those we care about.  Thanksgiving is coming up soon and we all have things for which to be thankful.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee, I have actually started using my body and hand lotions again. I stopped using them religiously for a while. But I am trying again to remember to use them. I just bought amlactin to use on my legs and hands. I dread shaving these days as I seem to get ingrown hairs that make me crazy. I am hoping this helps exfoliate a bit since the salux cloth doesn’t seem to do the trick. I have also started using it on my hands. I need some help there. I also have other moisturizers to use up as well.  These days I don’t care as much about moisturizer, weird. 

@aprilskies 

All I know is that I never want to collect the amount of lotions and body creams I'd collected before.  I can't believe I'm turning into one of those people who is more interested in a fragrance-free product.

I was the person who had to have every "flavor" of shower gel and spent way too much time trying to match scents to my moods.  Now I have one shower product, one scent.  And this CeraVe might turn out to be the one body moisturizer.

I just want to keep the toiletries under control.  After all, I'm going to have to move again in a few months.

Does our sense of smell change as we get older? Or is it our general preference for scents change?

I'm trying to use up my older shower gels and creams. I'm finding the scents that are more "perfumy" complex mix of scents I'm not enjoying. But the scents that are more single notes I am really liking?   

I've been consistently using a body cream each day. I can tell my skin texture is getting really smooth and softer? Who knew??? actually using some stuff DOES improve my skin LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

I've really enjoyed reading the nurturing lists. I agree with all of them! I also agree that I need to start taking better care of myself. As the years creep on, I keep putting off really taking control of my weight. There is no time like the present. My nurturing list will include adding more physical activiy into my daily life. The cold weather makes me want to crawl under a blanket and read a good book. But I know taking just 30 min or an hour to workout and end with a good stretch/yoga routine would be even better for my body and mental wellbeing!