Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Nurturing November

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Is it really sad that I would like some nice thick wool socks for hiking? LOL does that make me really old and boring that I want socks? 

@FindingMyJoy 

No -- I love socks.  I'll have to ask BH about his.  He owns four pairs of socks.  Wool.  They have a lifetime guarantee.  I'll ask him for the name...

@FindingMyJoy 

The sock company is Darn Tough.  BH says he just ordered a couple more pairs.  Really likes them.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Is it really sad that I would like some nice thick wool socks for hiking? LOL does that make me really old and boring that I want socks? 

@FindingMyJoy 

No -- I love socks.  I'll have to ask BH about his.  He owns four pairs of socks.  Wool.  They have a lifetime guarantee.  I'll ask him for the name...

@FindingMyJoy 

The sock company is Darn Tough.  BH says he just ordered a couple more pairs.  Really likes them.

Thanks for the recommendation! I added the brand to my Christmas wish list Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I'm supposed to be on my way to Santa Fe today.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

@just bee 

That's why I was surprised to see the new thread already today.  Figured you must have started on your train trip.

You haven't even started packing?  Yikes!😳  

Just look at it this way:  you'll either have fun and feel better when you get back, or you won't--and you won't ever have to leave home again. ☺️

Get moving, woman! 😘 

@geezerette 

I have returned.

Started the thread on the train?  I didn't pack a PC.  And I didn't take the train.  Since I was in super slo-mo, BH drove me up there.  We found a parking spot ($10) and walked the dog around.  Dumped all my stuff at the hotel and BH and the dog took off.

I stayed in the room on Friday and didn't even go to dinner.

As it turns out, I didn't go to dinner at all when I was there.  BH is not amused.  He researched every restaurant and I didn't go to any of them.

I was waking up at 4:00, leaving the hotel early and was at the conference by 8:30.  There 'til six.  By the time I was back in the hotel I wasn't hungry -- just tired.

The instructor offered an additional training for a certification.  I debated that one all week then talked myself out of it because it was at a hotel across town.  Logistics were an issue.

Then I woke up Tuesday morning and made a spontaneous decision to go to that training and find a way to get there.

Got there.  Got to the train station and got home.

I needed to do the extra day because I didn't like how the conference ended.  The third day -- Level 3 -- was strenous and I discovered I have no sense of balance, no coordination and I can't do 100 push-ups.  The overweight nurse ON OXYGEN on the mat next to me was doing a better job.  The 90 year-old across from me was doing a better job.  I went back to the hotel in a brown paper bag.

The extra day was worth it.  I left feeling better and I'm certified in something.  I passed on the offer of qigong instructor certification.  As I said, I have no sense of balance, no coordination and I can't do 100 push-ups.

Just Bee - welcome back!!! Wow that was quite a tough schedule. Congratulations on getting the certification. You should be proud of what you DID complete!! 100 push-ups...ummm yeah I wouldn't be able to do that either...unless you're spreading that number out over a month or 2? LOL 

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Just Bee - welcome back!!! Wow that was quite a tough schedule. Congratulations on getting the certification. You should be proud of what you DID complete!! 100 push-ups...ummm yeah I wouldn't be able to do that either...unless you're spreading that number out over a month or 2? LOL 

@FindingMyJoy 

Exactly!

I liked the breathing and slow movements, but when it started feeling like martial arts my body rebelled.  Now I just have to commit to continuing the practice.  Should find a local class...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Got back from the trip just in time.  It's pouring!

Really need this rain.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@FindingMyJoy -I the same as you, we've been overwhelmed at work for a while now, which is stressful, and I feel like me, my family and my home could all use a bit of nurturing.  I feel like we've all been so busy that now is a good time to slow down a bit, relax and spend some time together. 

I think it would be helpful if we took some time and thought about what we want to get from Nurturing November.

Question:

What does nurturing look like to you?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I'm supposed to be on my way to Santa Fe today.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

@just bee 

That's why I was surprised to see the new thread already today.  Figured you must have started on your train trip.

You haven't even started packing?  Yikes!😳  

Just look at it this way:  you'll either have fun and feel better when you get back, or you won't--and you won't ever have to leave home again. ☺️

Get moving, woman! 😘 

@geezerette 

I have returned.

Started the thread on the train?  I didn't pack a PC.  And I didn't take the train.  Since I was in super slo-mo, BH drove me up there.  We found a parking spot ($10) and walked the dog around.  Dumped all my stuff at the hotel and BH and the dog took off.

I stayed in the room on Friday and didn't even go to dinner.

As it turns out, I didn't go to dinner at all when I was there.  BH is not amused.  He researched every restaurant and I didn't go to any of them.

I was waking up at 4:00, leaving the hotel early and was at the conference by 8:30.  There 'til six.  By the time I was back in the hotel I wasn't hungry -- just tired.

The instructor offered an additional training for a certification.  I debated that one all week then talked myself out of it because it was at a hotel across town.  Logistics were an issue.

Then I woke up Tuesday morning and made a spontaneous decision to go to that training and find a way to get there.

Got there.  Got to the train station and got home.

I needed to do the extra day because I didn't like how the conference ended.  The third day -- Level 3 -- was strenous and I discovered I have no sense of balance, no coordination and I can't do 100 push-ups.  The overweight nurse ON OXYGEN on the mat next to me was doing a better job.  The 90 year-old across from me was doing a better job.  I went back to the hotel in a brown paper bag.

The extra day was worth it.  I left feeling better and I'm certified in something.  I passed on the offer of qigong instructor certification.  As I said, I have no sense of balance, no coordination and I can't do 100 push-ups.

@just bee 

I'm not surprised.  I didn't think you'd end up having a wonderful time.  You weren't in the mood to go anywhere in the first place.

As for not being up to par physically, are you really surprised?  Considering what you've been through these last months.  In a motel eating junk, being under constant stress, which is still going on.  You're still not living in your own home and have all the decisions of rebuilding.  

Don't beat yourself up.  I'm sure you're in better shape than 95% of Americans.  

The upside is that you're certified and you accomplished something.  You also found out that footloose and fancy free happiness can't be forced.  It will come when you're ready.  You're in a different place right now and that's all right.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies 

You wanted to know my opinion about the Homedics back stretcher.  It went back already.  It didn't do what I had expected.

I had thought it would be sort of like a rolling massage.  But it wasn't that at all.  First, only two out of the four functions even remotely worked for me.  It would fill up with air in various spots, sort of like a balloon, so only one spot of my body was hoisted up in the air.  And this was on the lowest inflation mode.  It didn't fit me well, and it didn't really do much on the back area, which was my main reason for getting it.  It didn't stretch me out because I ended up having to do my own stretching exercises after getting off it, which defeated its whole purpose as far as I was concerned.

Along with all that, the mat itself was very heavy. It almost hurt my back trying to get it out of the box.  So it was awkward for me to move around.  I had wanted to use it in the bedroom, but between my own stuff and the cats and dog's stuff, there is already too much clutter in there.  After using it and having it sit around in the bedroom for a while, I knew I just wouldn't use it.  So there was no reason to keep it.

Despite many good reviews, I think this is something that you really need to try out before purchasing.  At least for me.

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy -I remember getting the big, fat paper catalogs from Sears and JCPenney at Christmas too, I loved those! It was so exciting when those showed up in the mail! I'd spend hours going over those pages, going back and forth trying to decide what to put on my list. My kids will get some "toy books" in the newspaper with the regular ads and sales fliers, but it's not the same to me. We weren't well off either, so birthdays and Christmas were big deals to us too.

We did get an Amazon toy book in the mail, I've never gotten one of those before. My younger son and I were looking at it, trying to get a few ideas for Christmas. My older son is 14 and my younger son is 11 so a lot of the "toys" they've really outgrown. It was actually so much easier when they were smaller. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@just bee -Welcome back! I'm glad to hear that you survived your trip!