Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Mellow May

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee I enjoy my getting ready time in the mornings too. I find it therapeutic. And it's like putting on my war paint for the rest of the day. Hm, blush is a slippery slope. I'm working on the Tarte blush that came in last year's Sephora bday gift. It's really tiny and it's taken 6 months of daily use to use about half. Quite eye-opening and has definitely cut my urge for new blush.

Also, my friend is a property manager for several malls and they use something to push ads to people that are near their properties. They are definitely tracking us. 

@Oshare-girl 

I can see @rnmom 's point about acquiring the new blush on the gift card because it's "free."  But then I think about it taking up space and not being used because there are other large ones in the collection and it's an item, as you say, that takes a looooooooooong time to go away.

Of course they're tracking us.  To the point where one day we won't think for ourselves.

Wait -- that's already happened, hasn't it?

The future is here and it's not as cool as The Jetsons.

Jetsons

@just bee@Oshare-girl, if I could get rid of my cell phone I would. I am too dependent on it now which “they’ wanted us to be.  It is creepy beyond words.  They are tracking for things we are probably not aware of too  but when did we let life become one big advertisement?  It blows me away when people say they dont care if they are being listened to because they arent saying anything important, that is so not the point. 

Yes, we have arrived and it is not fun at all, But I can see how we got here. There are some people at work that would rather be told exactly what to do and think instead of using their own brains and judgment in a situation, which baffles me.  We dont need robots, they are already out there. 

Sometimes I have this fantasy of moving to an island and just living the basic life and maybe just having a computer.   Eating fresh food and breathing fresh air with very little stuff.  ...so why do I keep accumulating. 🤔 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee I enjoy my getting ready time in the mornings too. I find it therapeutic. And it's like putting on my war paint for the rest of the day. Hm, blush is a slippery slope. I'm working on the Tarte blush that came in last year's Sephora bday gift. It's really tiny and it's taken 6 months of daily use to use about half. Quite eye-opening and has definitely cut my urge for new blush.

Also, my friend is a property manager for several malls and they use something to push ads to people that are near their properties. They are definitely tracking us. 

@Oshare-girl 

I can see @rnmom 's point about acquiring the new blush on the gift card because it's "free."  But then I think about it taking up space and not being used because there are other large ones in the collection and it's an item, as you say, that takes a looooooooooong time to go away.

Of course they're tracking us.  To the point where one day we won't think for ourselves.

Wait -- that's already happened, hasn't it?

The future is here and it's not as cool as The Jetsons.

Jetsons

@just bee@Oshare-girl, if I could get rid of my cell phone I would. I am too dependent on it now which “they’ wanted us to be.  It is creepy beyond words.  They are tracking for things we are probably not aware of too  but when did we let life become one big advertisement?  It blows me away when people say they dont care if they are being listened to because they arent saying anything important, that is so not the point. 

Yes, we have arrived and it is not fun at all, But I can see how we got here. There are some people at work that would rather be told exactly what to do and think instead of using their own brains and judgment in a situation, which baffles me.  We dont need robots, they are already out there. 

Sometimes I have this fantasy of moving to an island and just living the basic life and maybe just having a computer.   Eating fresh food and breathing fresh air with very little stuff.  ...so why do I keep accumulating. 🤔 

@aprilskies 

Don't you sometimes feel that you're living in one of those dystopian novels/films from your past?

I used to work with someone who always commented that I was the only person there who wasn't on their phone every time she walked into the room. 

Conversation is a lost art.  And it's dangerous.

We live in interesting times.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Speaking of watching old movies, we have a Netflix DVD subscription and DH ordered Out of Africa and Topaz.  We watched Out of Africa last night and I remembered virtually nothing about it other than the basic story line.  Boy, did the actors look young!  The scenery was gorgeous.  I know I saw Topaz but I remember nothing about it.  So, it'll be like watching a new movie, LOL.   I think we are the only ones in America that don't stream movies.  This would require an upgrade in our internet speed (more $$$) and a new TV (more $$$).  Nope, not happening any time soon. 

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

Speaking of watching old movies, we have a Netflix DVD subscription and DH ordered Out of Africa and Topaz.  We watched Out of Africa last night and I remembered virtually nothing about it other than the basic story line.  Boy, did the actors look young!  The scenery was gorgeous.  I know I saw Topaz but I remember nothing about it.  So, it'll be like watching a new movie, LOL.   I think we are the only ones in America that don't stream movies.  This would require an upgrade in our internet speed (more $$$) and a new TV (more $$$).  Nope, not happening any time soon. 

@River Song 

What I liked about Out of Africa was the music.  John Barry strikes again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies   I certainly could use some of your no-buy motivation.  I’ve already blown mine and here it is only the fifth day of the month.  I justified my purchase by telling myself that I had a credit coming for several returned purchases, so much like the gift card debate, it could be considered free.  Except I already paid for those returned things and I’m just getting my money back—and not all of it, even.  🤔

Now my next debate is whether to return a bag I don’t like and won’t use. Do I risk getting into hot water with the company since I’ve returned so many things lately, or do I just eat the $60 and donate it?  Decisions. 🥺

I can see that this minimal lifestyle is going to take a mental adjustment.  The reason I bought a pair of pants that I really don’t need is because I’ve gotten my closet down to just about where I want it.  And it is sort of freaking me out.  I’m so used to having so many clothes that I panicked and figured I didn’t have enough!  When in actuality I still have more than enough.  And I now have another closet that is overflowing with empty hangers!  (A good thing—as long as I don’t buy things to put on them!)🤞

Same with HEP.  I’m going to not keep anything I have no control over eating in the house.  But when I search the frig and cabinets and see little, I think I’m going to starve.  It doesn’t occur to me at that point that I’m not even hungry.  I’ve just gotten used to grabbing something on a whim. 🍦

As for the cell phone/privacy debate, I always was on the no-phone side.  But now, my cell phone is a huge part of my life.  My closest friends only communicate through text.  No calls.  One would love to do FaceTime, but that’s too invasive for me.  But before I was alone, we only had a flip phone for emergencies and that got used maybe once every two years.  I don’t have a computer simply because I don’t need one anymore, but I do use my iPad daily.  I do still have some investments I need to keep up with, but I shouldn’t use it for browsing since I then get ideas of things I all of a sudden  “need”.  The trouble is, everything and everyone is pushing us to use the internet for everything.  If I lived in a bigger city with more available, I’m sure I would order hardly anything.  But then again, from what I’ve heard from people that do, even the stores are no longer stocking what they used to.  They push you to go to their online store.  You just can’t win.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@River Song wrote:

@River Song 

I liked Robert Redford. 🤗

Respected Contributor

Tough day for me and my mother. We went to see my brother. He knew me immediately. I could tell he was happy. He isn't eating and it is heart breaking. He was a kind man and that remains. My mom and I hung in and stayed as strong as we could. We all lose the ones we love.
We will be there for him till the end. That's what counts.
I hope you are all doing well.
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@River Song wrote:

@River Song 

I liked Robert Redford. 🤗

@geezerette 

What I like about Robert Redford is that he made me appreciate Paul Newman.

Some say Redford was wrong for Out of Africa.  Some say he was wrong for The Natural.  But I actually liked him in that.  Yes, he's pleasant enough as an actor, but I find that quality of his intriguing.

That quality that makes me think he has no chemistry with his leading ladies.  He has much more chemistry with male actors (like Newman) and that's why I think The Natural worked for me.

But I can see why Streep's character was smitten.  Although Klaus Maria Brandauer kept my attention... Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Tough day for me and my mother. We went to see my brother. He knew me immediately. I could tell he was happy. He isn't eating and it is heart breaking. He was a kind man and that remains. My mom and I hung in and stayed as strong as we could. We all lose the ones we love.

@Brisky 

And that's the hard part.  The visits.  You get to the point where you have to muster up the courage.  For you, for mom and for your brother.

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:

@Brisky 

I guess at this point you have to take heart at the moments he is happy.  It’s a lousy situation for you all.  And probably worst for your mother.  Not only is it harder to deal with that amount of stress when you’re older, but watching your child like that.  Horrific.  That’s not how it’s “supposed” to happen.

I hope you have a way to unwind, at least a little, each day.  The emotional trip you’re on right now drains your very being.

🙏🕊❤️